What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Petty - R.I.P. to one of the greats of Rock Music (2 Viewers)

I don't think these are covered by any insurance.  I had one done after my pretty healthy dad had a triple bypass.
I thought it was but could be wrong, as usual. Still, for $120 totally worth it.  Did a chest scan too and also clean which was a bigger concern of mine. 

Saw him twice in concert, always been a fan.

Hope you can roll another joint wherever you're at buddy!

He passed at 8:40pm PST according to the band's FB page.

Exactly one week after wrapping up his 40th anniversary tour. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus - just saw him 9/25 at Hollywood Bowl
My girlfriend and I were going to go to that one, but she got sick so we ended up not doing so. I told her that, next to Pearl Jam, there's probably no artist that has more songs I like than Tom Petty.

One of the first albums I ever had as a kid.  I thought the video to "You Got Lucky" was awesome.  He was part of the soundtrack of a lot of kids lives back then.  Thanks for all the great music Tom.  RIP.  

Just heard Learning to Fly on the way in to work this morning and starting tearing up. Little backstory...

If I'm driving in the car I'm listening to music. When my daughter was three I was listening to Into the Great Wide Open and Learning to Fly started to play. When the chorus started I hear my little three year old singing "I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings." Put a smile on my face because it's the first time I had ever heard her sing. Hearing that song this morning made me sad about Petty passing but also brings back that great memory.

You can sit around and wait for the phone to ring
Waiting for someone to tell you everything
Sit around and wonder what tomorrow will bring
Maybe a diamond ring

Well it's all right, even if they say you're wrong
Well it's all right, sometimes you gotta be strong
Well it's all right, as long as you got somewhere to lay
Well it's all right, everyday is judgment day

Maybe somewhere down the road a ways
You'll think of me, wonder where I am these days
Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays
Purple Haze

Well it's all right, even when push comes to shove
Well it's all right, if you got someone to love
Well it's all right, everything will work out fine
Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line

Guy was the background music to my life. 
Heard this sentiment a lot.  
First thing to came to mind when I heard of Petty's death was that summer job in high school where Full Moon Fever was the soundtrack.  A lot of air guitar to Runnin' Down A Dream and lip syncing to Free Fallin'.

Heard this sentiment a lot.  
First thing to came to mind when I heard of Petty's death was that summer job in high school where Full Moon Fever was the soundtrack.  A lot of air guitar to Runnin' Down A Dream and lip syncing to Free Fallin'.
The last minute and a half of that song is a killer jam.  :thumbup:

Just heard Learning to Fly on the way in to work this morning and starting tearing up. Little backstory...

If I'm driving in the car I'm listening to music. When my daughter was three I was listening to Into the Great Wide Open and Learning to Fly started to play. When the chorus started I hear my little three year old singing "I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings." Put a smile on my face because it's the first time I had ever heard her sing. Hearing that song this morning made me sad about Petty passing but also brings back that great memory.
One of the beauties of music is how certain songs bring you back to specific moments in your life. Lots of TP songs do this for me. 

5 great non-Petty songs that feature Tom Petty:

Roy Orbison: "You Got It" (guitar, backing vocals & co-writer)
Roger McGuinn: "King Of The Hill" (guitar, vocals & co-writer)
Randy Newman: "Falling In Love" (guitar & backing vocals)
Del Shannon: "Walk Away" (guitar, backing vocals & co-writer)
Johnny Cash: "Rusty Cage" (the Heartbreakers were the backing group)

Bonus:

Stevie Nicks sings "I Need To Know" with the Heartbreakers.
Thanks for this list! Always loved "King of the Hill" and "Falling In Love"- I was not even aware of his work on "Falling in Love".

Of course, perhaps the greatest non-Petty song featuring Tom Petty is "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around".

Dynamite drop in, Monty.
I meant overall.  I mean there are a couple of songs that I liked, but overall, wasn't that much of a fan.

But still, RIP.  I know that he was admired by many that enjoyed his work.  I just came in to offer my condolences.

Well this sucks.  Always a shame when we lose such big contributors of great music.  Feels like I have been listening to Petty forever.  I guess I have.  He is one of those performers that you take for granted.  His music is so good that it is just always around.  Thank you Mr. Petty for all the great music.  It will live on forever.  RIP. 

I loved his music videos. The songs were amazing by themselves, but I always looked forward to seeing his videos on MTV, too. Bummed and happy at the same time watching a few. Well, let's get to the point, and roll another joint. 

I won't back down

Running down a dream

Mary Jane's last dance

You don't know how it feels
:goodposting:  MTV was designed to shove artists like Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers aside in favor of ones with more style and glamour, but they steered into it by making clever videos.

I’d like to add Don’t Come Around Here No More to the video playlist.  It seemed like MTV had that one on loop when it was released.

I wonder how many speeding tickets could be attributed to that song? Definitely at least a couple near misses on my part
Steering might have “gotten a little loose” while acting out the “hit cruise control, and rubbed my eyes” part while behind the wheel.

If any of you guys have Sirius XM, Petty has his own channel there.

Also, if you can access the on-demand content, SXM has years of his Buried Treasure episodes (though I don't think all are available all the time - they seem to rotate them) where Tom plays the rock, rhythm, blues, and country that influenced him. These are a TON of fun to listen to and informative to boot.

If any of you guys have Sirius XM, Petty has his own channel there.

Also, if you can access the on-demand content, SXM has years of his Buried Treasure episodes (though I don't think all are available all the time - they seem to rotate them) where Tom plays the rock, rhythm, blues, and country that influenced him. These are a TON of fun to listen to and informative to boot.
Been on that channel all morning 

:thumbup:

Bruce Dickinson said:
:goodposting:  MTV was designed to shove artists like Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers aside in favor of ones with more style and glamour, but they steered into it by making clever videos.

I’d like to add Don’t Come Around Here No More to the video playlist.  It seemed like MTV had that one on loop when it was released.
That's a great one. His cleverness definitely sparked my creativity at a young age. I loved the music, but paired with the videos, it just struck a chord with me. 

I loved this one, too. Another awesome video. 

You got lucky

I was in High School when Petty hit. Man, did he get labeled wrong. He got lumped in by the music press with New Wave bands like Blondie and the Talking Heads. And, while I hate genre tags, the 70s music scene was based on them. His music wasn't an outgrowth of early 70s Classic Rock like Boston's or Kansas' was, so AOR ignored him for a time. Yet he felt out of place - given the narrowcasting of the time - on a channel playing Elvis Costello and Television. In hindsight, this of course is all ridiculous but it wasn't then.

What Petty was doing was not going back to 1973 and/or making a break from it. He went back yet another decade. He based his music on the Beatles, girl groups, the Byrds, garage rock, James Brown, Elvis, the MGs, Chuck,and Dylan. No one except Springsteen in white rock was honoring that music in 1978, and Bruce tended to overpower his influences. Tom let it simmer, even on (relatively) overheated records like "Breakdown". 

Like I think someone mentioned above, I never considered Tom Petty as one of my favorite artists. Yet I know and love dozens of songs by him. I'm not sure what that says about me, or him.

Look at how LONG this dude made ubiquitous records - holding true to his sound while never sounding dated - in the face of rock currency. New Wave, disco, skinny-tie bands, hair metal, grunge, the alt "revolution": he had radio hits (many, many radio hits) during all of those movements. Those hits weren't niche programming - they were everywhere. And they were all Petty-being-Petty.

In later years, to me, he seemed to fancy himself as a Keeper Of The Flame. Both as a musician and a DJ. He done good as both.

5 great non-Petty songs that feature Tom Petty:

Roy Orbison: "You Got It" (guitar, backing vocals & co-writer)
Roger McGuinn: "King Of The Hill" (guitar, vocals & co-writer)
Randy Newman: "Falling In Love" (guitar & backing vocals)
Del Shannon: "Walk Away" (guitar, backing vocals & co-writer)
Johnny Cash: "Rusty Cage" (the Heartbreakers were the backing group)

Bonus:

Stevie Nicks sings "I Need To Know" with the Heartbreakers.
Thanks for this list! Always loved "King of the Hill" and "Falling In Love"- I was not even aware of his work on "Falling in Love".

Of course, perhaps the greatest non-Petty song featuring Tom Petty is "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around".
Stevie and Tom did a BUNCH of stuff together:

"Insider"

"You Can Still Change Your Mind"

"I Will Run To You"

"You Can Still Change Your Mind"

"Silent Night"

"The Apartment Song"

"Needles And Pins"

I meant overall.  I mean there are a couple of songs that I liked, but overall, wasn't that much of a fan.

But still, RIP.  I know that he was admired by many that enjoyed his work.  I just came in to offer my condolences.
riiight

Time to Move on. another great song that hasn't been mentioned yet.

That's a great one. His cleverness definitely sparked my creativity at a young age. I loved the music, but paired with the videos, it just struck a chord with me. 

I loved this one, too. Another awesome video. 

You got lucky
One of my favorite videos as a kid. And it's one of those weird MTV-era songs that I remember much more from the video than from hearing on the radio. 

One of my top 5 favorite artists for sure. Saw him live several times from 1989 to 2008, consistently great shows.

This feels like the biggest of the recent losses of musical stars for me, precisely because he was most likely to make more new music that I would actually care about.

I don't typically feel much emotion about celebrity deaths, but this one is definitely sad for me.  :(

Back in college, I had the Damn the Torpedoes tape in my car cassette player and left it in on a blazingly hot summer day. The plastic case warped just enough and would not eject from the tape player.  I probably listened to that tape 10 or 12 straight cycles over 2 weeks before getting a pair of pliers to yank the thing out.  

Some of the other stuff I listened to back then would have been forcibly removed after 1 play through. 

Tom Petty can't be explained in 11 songs. We tried anyway.

"The rocker was more than his greatest hits.  But boy did he have some great hits."

Most of the songs discussed are ones already covered in this thread.  But it includes a link to a performance of "Rebels" from Live Aid that is this weird juxtaposition of the timelessness of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers backed by a horn section that could not be more specific to the summer of 1985.      

Back in college, I had the Damn the Torpedoes tape in my car cassette player and left it in on a blazingly hot summer day. The plastic case warped just enough and would not eject from the tape player.  I probably listened to that tape 10 or 12 straight cycles over 2 weeks before getting a pair of pliers to yank the thing out.  

Some of the other stuff I listened to back then would have been forcibly removed after 1 play through. 
Kids today don't appreciate how easy they have it with music delivery and storage. 

Users who are viewing this thread