What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Petty - R.I.P. to one of the greats of Rock Music (1 Viewer)

Beautiful rendition of Learning to Fly in West Palm this past May. When he cued the crowd to take over the chorus at 2:36 in, the most amazing and peaceful vibe came over the amphitheater as we all sang along. The whole show was such a great experience, and he was always truly thankful and appreciative of his fans. I'll never forget it.

https://youtu.be/OPvn1SxyXV0

I've been to two Superbowls. The NE/Giants one in Phoenix where the Giants spoiled NE's perfect season. Tom Petty was the halftime show for that one.

I also went to the Cardinals/Steelers SB the next year, and Bruce Springsteen was the halftime show.

I think I got pretty lucky with my halftime shows.

RIP

One of the great shows of my life was Petty and the Heartbreakers at Firefly a few years back. Every song in the set (save the new album) was a classic. Hoping the reports are indeed premature and we get a miracle. 66 is young. I'll be that old before my youngest goes to college.

I havent read the news outside of here on this... 

is he officially dead? or just off life-support as the thread title says?

eta: nm... has gone to meet his maker. not pining for the fjords dead... dead, dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

It was posted everywhere that he had died. They are all rolling that back now and saying massive cardiac arrest and he has been taken off life suooort. 

eta: nm... has gone to meet his maker. not pining for the fjords dead... dead, dead.

It was posted everywhere that he had died. They are all rolling that back now and saying massive cardiac arrest and he has been taken off life suooort. 
just saw this...

Rocker Tom Petty remains hospitalized in Los Angeles after being found unconscious and in cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday, the Los Angeles County Fire Department told USA TODAY.

Initial reports Monday from TMZ and CBS said Petty, 66, had died. CBS cited the Los Angeles Police Department as its source. LAPD later tweeted that this was an inadvertent mistake and that they had no investigative role in the case. Malibu is in the county of Los Angeles, not the city of Los Angeles. 

LAPD HQ ✔@LAPDHQ

(2/2) However, the LAPD has no investigative role in this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience in this reporting.

4:55 PM - Oct 2, 2017

However, Variety also reported Petty had died, citing an anonymous source.

TMZ initially reported that Petty had "no brain activity" when he reached the hospital and that life support was pulled. An hour later, the website reported that he was still "clinging to life" but was not expected to survive. 

Representatives for Petty did not return calls and emails requesting comment. 

Petty has always been in that category of artist that I really like just about everything he’s done, but if you told me to list my top artists, I’d never think of him for some reason. I guess I really never gave him the credit he deserves for being consistently good for such a long period of time.

I guess it’s time for me to go back and revisit his music more in depth. Rip.

I'm not as big a TP fan as some of you here but there are few artists in rock n roll who've produced 40 years of music with such consistency.   A lot of musicians had their peak period in their 20s and 30s and ran out of things to say.  But Petty's 21st century records and performances, both solo and with the Heartbreakers and Mutcrutch were as solid as when he was still on the Shelter label.  His death (?) at the age of 66 is a huge loss, in part because he's a guy who still could have had another 10-15 years of things to say in song.

I've been to two Superbowls. The NE/Giants one in Phoenix where the Giants spoiled NE's perfect season. Tom Petty was the halftime show for that one.

I also went to the Cardinals/Steelers SB the next year, and Bruce Springsteen was the halftime show.

I think I got pretty lucky with my halftime shows.

RIP
I was on the field for the Sprinsteen halftime show..

Petty was my first rock concert Either 81 or 82 on the Hard Promises Tour. Huge fan ever since, 

i just re-watched the Running Down a Dream document last weekend. 

Requiescat in pace
That's all she wrote  :(

Petty has always been in that category of artist that I really like just about everything he’s done, but if you told me to list my top artists, I’d never think of him for some reason. I guess I really never gave him the credit he deserves for being consistently good for such a long period of time.

always liked the songs, but he was so omnipresent during my musically formative years it was hard for me to get that into him.

Remember more than once in the late 70s, early 80s when Petty hit a cultural note -- thinking he was the epitome of cool.  Living like a refuge, freefalling, last dance with Mary Jane.  He just seemed to be living in this surreal West Coast skater fantasy dream world. Love this guy's music.  Written into my childhood.
never got the cool vibe, but definitely thought he was hugely talented

I'm not as big a TP fan as some of you here but there are few artists in rock n roll who've produced 40 years of music with such consistency.   A lot of musicians had their peak period in their 20s and 30s and ran out of things to say.  But Petty's 21st century records and performances, both solo and with the Heartbreakers and Mutcrutch were as solid as when he was still on the Shelter label.  His death (?) at the age of 66 is a huge loss, in part because he's a guy who still could have had another 10-15 years of things to say in song.
:goodposting:

could be argued his later stuff was as good as his early stuff. 

plus he was great in his cameo in the Postman... everybody's favorite flick. and his music has been culturally engrained in other movies (american girl... you know the scene and the movie right away). definitely part of the american experience.

always liked the songs, but he was so omnipresent during my musically formative years it was hard for me to get that into him.

never got the cool vibe, but definitely thought he was hugely talented

:goodposting:

could be argued his later stuff was as good as his early stuff. 

plus he was great in his cameo in the Postman... everybody's favorite flick. and his music has been culturally engrained in other movies (american girl... you know the scene and the movie right away). definitely part of the american experience.
Agreed on American Girl. Amazing that a song that old can get a brand new meaning years later from one scene in a movie.

Agreed on American Girl. Amazing that a song that old can get a brand new meaning years later from one scene in a movie.
Yes good call.

The other film I always think of, even though it's not one of my favorite Petty songs, is Tom Cruise driving home in Jerry Maguire after thinking he's signed the #1 draft pick. He flips through the radio looking for a song that matches his joyful mood, and finally settles on "Free Fallin'". Classic scene.

I only saw Petty once and I can barely remember it. I Had just started high school and went cross country to visit my sister in Santa Barbara. There was a huge block party in Isla Vista next to UCSB, and Petty showed up. Started off with a high energy, much faster speed American Girl and never let up. The crowd was insane. Must have been 1980. Always was a huge fan of Mine Campbell. Very underrated guitarist. 

Saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers once in Jackson, MS and was blown away by how good they were live.  
This. I was always a fan of his music but for some reason never felt seeing him live was necessary. Finally did so about 7-8 years ago and was absolutely blown away by how great Tom & The Heartbreakers were live. 

As good as his songs are to listen on radio or CD he was phenomenal live. 

My favorite is Woman in Love - during the early days I got drawn in by Mike Campbell guitar as much as the "star" - he's really one of the underrated greats on guitar. This one with the guitar and the vocals and how it goes quiet-loud is superb stuff. 

Sucks.
Absolutely agree. Campbell really shines live & is underrated. 

Never saw him live, but too young to have many opportunities...  Hopefully he is runnin' down a dream in his mind right now :(

Wait, is he dead or not?  CBS (and apparently his daughter) is now saying he's not dead.  CBS is having a very bad day.

I only saw Petty once and I can barely remember it. I Had just started high school and went cross country to visit my sister in Santa Barbara. There was a huge block party in Isla Vista next to UCSB, and Petty showed up. Started off with a high energy, much faster speed American Girl and never let up. The crowd was insane. Must have been 1980. Always was a huge fan of Mine Campbell. Very underrated guitarist. 
My 2 daughters went to UCSB and lived in Isla Vista. Can't even imagine how great that woulda been

He hasn't passed away.  Earlier CBS/Variety reporting was wrong.  He is, however, in the hospital, and, if earlier reports are to be believed on THIS count, unresponsive. 

Come on, Tom.  It may defy all odds but don't leave us yet!!!!  

Same for me. I could easily do a top 100 favorite artists list, and Petty would probably be somewhere in the 60-75 range.  He has probably 25-30 songs I really like, many of which are from Wildflowers, and a handful I love.  Good songwriter. 

Same for me. I could easily do a top 100 favorite artists list, and Petty would probably be somewhere in the 60-75 range.  He has probably 25-30 songs I really like, many of which are from Wildflowers, and a handful I love.  Good songwriter. 
What the heck is your rating system based on?  30 songs you really like and that doesn't crack your top 60???  I would be hard pressed to even name 30 songs from more than a few dozen artists

What the heck is your rating system based on?  30 songs you really like and that doesn't crack your top 60???  I would be hard pressed to even name 30 songs from more than a few dozen artists
Nope.  I could probably name 30 songs I like by at least 100 artists.  To say I am a hardcore music fan would be an understatement. 

My doc orders a cardiac CT scan every 5 years for me.  Had one done two weeks ago ago, 0 blockage.  Only took 5 minutes and $120 and my insurance kind of sucks.  Just thought I would mention it for your consideration. 
I don't think these are covered by any insurance.  I had one done after my pretty healthy dad had a triple bypass.

Users who are viewing this thread