What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Moeaki -- KC Chiefs TE (1 Viewer)

Since the Chiefs just had their bye week, Moeaki is in my lineup for the rest of the season barring injury.

Picked him up a couple weeks ago as a future band aid to the celek bust. Now um having trouble not starting celek with kolb back since that was pretty much the selling point for celek pre draft.

Just bought my ticket

16 team IDP Dynasty league

TE's get 1.5PPR and bonus kicks in 65yds where RB's and WR are 100yd

Hot Route Fantasy Football Trade

Caitlyn Rodrigues gave up:

Lynch, Marshawn SEA RB

Williams, Roy DAL WR

Matt Waldman gave up:

Moeaki, Tony KCC TE

Hot Route Fantasy Football Address:

Hot Route

come on big kahuna! Hang seven :goodposting:

With Moeaki, McCluster and Charles, Cassel doesn’t need to be perfect

By KENT BABB

The Kansas City Star

DAVID EULITT

Chiefs tight end Tony Moeaki (right) celebrated his one-handed touchdown catch in Sunday’s victory with fellow rookie Dexter McCluster.

Chiefs Notebook | NFL fines Shaun Smith $10,000 for his groin grab in victory against 49ers

With Moeaki, McCluster and Charles, Cassel doesn’t need to be perfect

Tony Moeaki was holding a football in the locker room this week, and someone brought up the subject of his one-handed touchdown catch Sunday.

It was all over the television highlights. Did he see himself? Moeaki, a soft-spoken rookie tight end, shook his head. Not really, he said, though he heard some talk about the play on some TVs near the team’s meeting rooms. Heck, he wasn’t even sure that the ball he was palming was or wasn’t the one he caught; someone just put a football in his locker, so he might as well hold it.

“I wasn’t going into the play trying to catch a one-handed pass,” he said, “but it just happened that way. It was just coincidence.”

Fine. But the part that clearly isn’t coincidence is that Moeaki is among several new toys for the Chiefs’ offense — weapons the team lacked throughout most of last season, and targets that ease pressure on quarterback Matt Cassel. Kansas City hasn’t been perfect on offense this season, even amid a 3-0 start, and Cassel has occasionally struggled. But with options like Moeaki, Dexter McCluster and Jamaal Charles, who needs perfect?

During Sunday’s 31-10 thrashing of San Francisco, the Chiefs took full advantage of their playmakers. Moeaki, McCluster and Charles combined for 266 of the team’s 457 total offensive yards, and that doesn’t even include McCluster’s 59 yards on kick returns. Combined with veteran running back Thomas Jones and wide receivers Dwayne Bowe and Chris Chambers, Kansas City’s offense has begun to look like a formidable unit.

The Chiefs emphasized those players more often against the 49ers, and Cassel’s numbers reflected it — 250 passing yards, including touchdown passes to McCluster and Moeaki.

“It was a fun play,” Moeaki said of his touchdown, which ESPN chose as its most outstanding play of the weekend. If he won’t elaborate, there are plenty of teammates who will. Offensive lineman Brian Waters said he noticed that, on Sunday, things just went more smoothly; players seemed more comfortable. And he definitely didn’t think Moeaki’s play was a coincidence.

“He’s a very good pass catcher,” Waters said. “Those are things we haven’t had. We didn’t have it last year, and then you add the different types of personalities. We have a different group, in that we can throw so many looks at (defenses) right now, and that’s a plus for us. We think that’s going to continue to grow.

“The key is that our coaches did a good job of going out and finding some guys who can do a lot of different things, and I think that’s really helped us a lot. We’ve got guys who are a very versatile group, who can play a lot of different positions.”

San Francisco found that out the hard way on a single play. It came in the third quarter, when Jones lined up at quarterback in the Wildcat formation. Cassel was split wide. Jones took the snap and ran left before pitching it to McCluster, who tossed to Cassel, who zipped a pass 45 yards to Bowe in the end zone.

Coach Todd Haley said this week that a play like that brings with it plenty of risk; the more players who handle the football, the more chance that one of them makes a mistake. On that play, everything worked.

“Those packages and what you’re seeing,” Waters said, “that’s what we want. We know what that does to defenses. When we throw all that at them, we prefer that because we know that keeps them off-balance.”

Waters acknowledged that, last season, the Chiefs just didn’t have these kinds of playmakers on offense. Tony Gonzalez was traded to Atlanta in April 2009, and Bowe missed four games because of a failed test for performance-enhancing drugs. It wasn’t until running back Larry Johnson was cut and Charles took over that Kansas City realized it could move the ball with consistency.

Now, Waters said, the group is gaining a confidence that it lacked a year ago. Yes, even Moeaki, who admitted that he’s not always so quiet.

“Everyone flips a switch when they’re out there,” he said. “That’s just the way it is. If you’re the same guy on and off the field, you might have a heart attack. I guess you’ve got to experience it. When you’re on the field, you’re just in a zone.

“I just feel different.”

For the first time in a while, so do the Chiefs.

To reach Kent Babb, Chiefs reporter for The Star, call 816-234-4386 or send e-mail to kbabb@kcstar.com. Follow him at twitter.com/kentbabb.

Posted on Sun, Oct. 03, 2010 07:48 PM

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/30/22650...r#ixzz11mEwh7nA

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to ride the train but I can't!!! Not until I can move D. Clark or Hernandez for an upgrade at WR or QB.

I'm on the train. I dumped Owen Daniels to start Moeaki. I'm tired of waiting on Daniels to produce.

I will start Moeaki over Witten and I feel very confident about it...
Thought about starting a thread "Witten/Moeaki Owners Only."Non-PPR, I'm in with Moeaki week 5. Even if Witten has a good week, I'll regard it as an exception to the rule. Tired of playing it safe.

If anyone is wondering about comparable value, I just traded Moeaki (I know, sacrilege) for Hines Ward in a PPR league. He needed TE, I needed WR.

I grabbed him a couple of weeks ago to replace Heath Miller. Moeaki seems to be Cassel's favorite.

Through 3 games:

Targets - 19 out of 77 or 24.7%

Completions - 12 out of 42 or 28.6%

Yards - 123 out of 494 or 24.9%

TD - 2 out of 4 or 50.0%

So if Cassel can consistantly put up 14 completions for 200 yards and 2 scores you can expect Moeaki to get 4 catches for 50 yards and a score. Not bad for a Free Agent Tight End.

Well, I could start both at the same time with my flex, but there's no way i can bench hillis/bradshaw/mathews for that spot..... or should I?!?!?!? lol

He's being used as a blocker with injuries on the OL. Don't expect any production anytime soon, though Cassel's play of late bodes real well for his dynasty prospects.

This is news? I thought he went on IR like 2 weeks ago?

Grab Fasano while you can. He's the starting TE for the best team in the NFL, with WRs that suck.

Grab Fasano while you can. He's the starting TE for the best team in the NFL, with WRs that suck.
It's kinda news, since he's a FA now. Or will be.

Except the Chiefs are working out TE FA's. Fasano has never been used as much of a pass catcher, which is what he was in college, at least more than he is now. That being said, Alex Smith is a check down machine and he loves the TE. I grabbed McGrath thinking he might get the checkdown love, but have dropped him for Fasano to see what happens...

Pretty sure Fasano had two catches where he was tackled inside the five last week. So maybe there's hope for RZ looks if not production.

Pretty sure Fasano had two catches where he was tackled inside the five last week. So maybe there's hope for RZ looks if not production.
Tackled at the 1 both times. Any more info from homers here? Need a fill-in for the Graham situation and don't have any confidence in Watson. Currently have Rudolph and not happy about it. All junk on the wire right now.

Ive picked up Fasano in the leagues where I had Finley. Looks like a good spot play this week, then I need to try and work some trade magic for the longer term after that.

Multiple injuries plus alex smith vs jamal charles as redzone options. Maybe this weekend will be one of 3 tds hell get for the year. But look at the bright side...you can count on him for 1.5 receptions. - frustrated fasano owner.

OG_GF said:

......and a QB that sucks and while we are at it, Fasano sucks.

OG_GF said:

......and a QB that sucks and while we are at it, Fasano sucks.
That's the thing. The WR's don't suck. But the QB checks down so much that it seems so when he's only throwing it 15 feet...

Rotoworld:

Bills signed TE Tony Moeaki to a two-year contract.

Moeaki opened the season on injured reserve and was waived by the Chiefs with an injury settlement in Week 8. He posted a 33/453/1 line in 15 games last season and will provide depth behind contract-year TE Scott Chandler. The Bills released RB Tashard Choice from the 53-man roster in a corresponding move. It wouldn't be insane to grab Moeaki in deeper Dynasty leagues. Still only 26, Moeaki has always been an effective run blocker -- which will get him on the field -- and his pass-catching talent is a big upgrade on Chandler's when healthy.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Newly signed Bills TE Tony Moeaki isn't expected to be active for Sunday's game.

Moeaki greatly improves the Bills' tight end corps, but is going to need a lot more than four days to learn the playbook. Moeaki will likely be eased in over the season's final month, and won't be a legitimate option in re-draft leagues. Although he has one of the league's longest injury histories, Moeaki is worth a flier in Dynasty formats.

Source: Bills on Twitter

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Bills signed TE Tony Moeaki to a two-year contract.

Moeaki opened the season on injured reserve and was waived by the Chiefs with an injury settlement in Week 8. He posted a 33/453/1 line in 15 games last season and will provide depth behind contract-year TE Scott Chandler. The Bills released RB Tashard Choice from the 53-man roster in a corresponding move. It wouldn't be insane to grab Moeaki in deeper Dynasty leagues. Still only 26, Moeaki has always been an effective run blocker -- which will get him on the field -- and his pass-catching talent is a big upgrade on Chandler's when healthy.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter
So...does this mean Chandler's not going to be back with BUF next year? I'll be really interested to see if BUF drafts a TE next year or if they go forward with Moeaki and Gragg.

Rotoworld:

WGR 550 Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia suggests Tony Moeaki is a threat to Scott Chandler's starting job.
Moeaki spent almost the spring with Buffalo's first-team offense, while Chandler was limited in OTAs and excused from minicamp due to a family matter. Moeaki is a better blocker and athlete than Chandler, and the Bills at very least can put him to use in two-tight end sets. Per Buscaglia, Buffalo wanted Eric Ebron at No. 9 had it not found a trade partner to move up for Sammy Watkins.

Related: Scott Chandler

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

I've rostered this dud 3 times, and I gotta wonder if he will ever have more upside than a Marcedes Lewis type who in most 10-12 team PPR leagues is barely worth rostering.

Moeaki's lack of production has largely been due to injuries, not necessarily his lack of talent. I actually liked Chandler except that suddenly he started dropping a ton of passes last year.

Moeaki's lack of production has largely been due to injuries, not necessarily his lack of talent. I actually liked Chandler except that suddenly he started dropping a ton of passes last year.
:goodposting: not unlike David Ausberry except he's not ahead on the depth chart just yet. Very intriguing add for those who might need a TE flier...I snagged him and Gragg near the end of last year and was waiting because Chandler was a free agent. Was discouraged when the Bills paid Chandler, but Moeaki is clearly the better talent IF he can stay healthy. That's a big IF because it dates back to his days at Iowa

So... might need to change the thread title, but Moeaki is starting to make some noise.

Moeaki signed with Seattle on November 4th, five days before their game against the Giants (in which he was predictably inactive). He was up for their game at KC, playing 23 offensive snaps (caught a goalline TD).

Last week against Arizona, in what was perhaps the most important game for the Seahawks since the Super Bowl, Moeaki nearly led all pass catchers in snaps with 34 (Kearse had 35; Paul Richardson had 32; Lynch played 42). He did lead the TE group (Helfet had 23; Willson had 23).

The result doesn't jump out at you (4 receptions on 4 targets for 34 yards), but the ascendance up the depth chart should catch your eye considering the previous hype surrounding Moeaki. He's never been able to stay healthy to this point in his career, but he's always had talent (this was the supposed heir apparent to Tony Gonzalez in KC). For as long as it lasts, he may be worth a grab for the TE needy/desperate (much like myself - Reed owner who's always missed the 'next' TE on waivers this year).

Helfet is likely out this week and perhaps longer with the sprained ankle. After the game, Carroll had the following to say about Moeaki:

(On Tony Moeaki) Yes—we’ve been talking about how Tony would fit in more as we grew with him if we could give him a couple weeks kind of thing—it took him a couple and he did a nice job and there’s a lot of ways for him to continue to get better too. So we’ll see a lot of him again this week.
It's not for the faint of heart, but Moeaki could be a sneaky play against a 49ers D that struggles a bit vs. the TE.

Users who are viewing this thread