What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo (1 Viewer)

Vikes Fan

Footballguy
I was listening to our local sports talk radio this morning. The guest host is a Fantasy Football "expert" and was fielding questions. A guy called in and announced that he had a great draft of RB and WR, but messed up at QB because he drafted Romo. The host told him to drop Romo in favor of Rivers or Leinart.

I was agast! I am targeting Romo in all my drafts because I think he presents excellent value. In a snake draft, 12 teamer, I target him in about the seventh round, and I have him ranked as the seventh or eighth ranked QB, thinking he is easily a top 10 QB, if not top 5. This expert announced that he has Romo ranked as is 15th QB!

So I am searching for opinions on Romo to verify my thoughts, or to see if I am way off base. What do you think?

:popcorn:

1) Manning

2) Palmer

3) Brees

4) McNabb

5) Brady

6) Bulger

7) Romo

Romo is poised to have a huge season IMO. That offense has quite possibly one of the best WR's in football and a great RB tandem and a much improved OL. Romo is the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
for the moment, he's my #11...so can't say i'd be aghast if he were 4 spots lower. i'd definitely take rivers over him, but not leinart. (though i think i like leinart less than most)

I can't see how anyone could really justify ranking him outside the Top 10. The Cowboys ranked Top 6 in both passing yards and passing TD last year but only ranked 20th in passing attempts. They have all their key offensive weapons back and may rely more on the pass this year without Parcells looking to run 500 times a year.

7-8 is about right for me. I think I'll be extremely torn between Kitna and him this year.

And dropping Romo for Leinart is ridiculous

I can't see how anyone could really justify ranking him outside the Top 10. The Cowboys ranked Top 6 in both passing yards and passing TD last year but only ranked 20th in passing attempts. They have all their key offensive weapons back and may rely more on the pass this year without Parcells looking to run 500 times a year.
:bs: Romo has too much talent around him. He'll be top 10 easily if the offense stays healthy.

I had to drop him down ever so slightly because of Terry Glenn's surgery (he should be ready week 1) but I still have him in my top 10. He was a top 5 quarterback in points per game last season. I think the sky's the limit for Tony Romo this season.

Plus he's literally playing for a contract. The better he plays the more he profits. It's a lot of pressure. It's like they say pressure creates diamonds and bursts pipes.

1) Manning

2) Palmer

3) Brees

4) McNabb

5) Brady

6) Bulger

7) Romo

Romo is poised to have a huge season IMO. That offense has quite possibly one of the best WR's in football and a great RB tandem and a much improved OL. Romo is the real deal.
Not trying to start a dispute, honestly curious. How much improved is their OL? I know they brought in Davis to play guard, not sure that will help their pass protection much, although it should help some. What other changes did they make? Or is it just another year of experience for the rest of the line that will make them improved. Seriously, interested in finding out more.

David Yudkin said:
I have him right behind Losman :hifive:

I have him at 9. Really T8 as I project him to have similar numbers to Hasselbeck.

I think most rankings will look like this to start:

1. P. Manning

2-4. Palmer/Brady/Brees in some order

5. Bulger

Those are clearly the top 5.

IMO there is a clear second 5 too: McNabb, Kitna, Hasselbeck, Romo, Young. What order they should be in is open for debate, and obviously depends on scoring system.

Cutler, Rivers, Leinart, and Roethlisberger have their merits too, but I don't see a case for ranking any of them ahead of Romo.

I feel like a broken record player :rolleyes: Romo/Kitna/Cutler in that order during rounds 7/8 , you'll be golden

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like a broken record player :shrug: Romo/Kitna/Cutler in that order during rounds 7/8 , you'll be golden
Big on Cutler? I had Romo #8 but didn't get him in my local league. (Gambled he or Kitna would fall to me after the 7/8 turn.) I ended up with Cutler and Lienart. I'm moderately big on Cutler, especially since we get bonus pts. for long TDs.

I like Rivers, Kitna and Romo all about the same at #7-9, although -2 per interception is the only reason Kitna isn't higher.

The mystery this year to me is Young. I really like the guy a lot, but I see nobody for him to throw the rock to. Last year his PPG the 2nd half was outstanding and he didn't have much to work with then, either...

I like Rivers, Kitna and Romo all about the same at #7-9, although -2 per interception is the only reason Kitna isn't higher. The mystery this year to me is Young. I really like the guy a lot, but I see nobody for him to throw the rock to. Last year his PPG the 2nd half was outstanding and he didn't have much to work with then, either...
Young scored 5 times rushing in his last 8 games. A lot of his scoring surge came from his rushing totals (415/5 in the last 8 games). I personally would feel uncomfortable projecting any QB to continue scoring at a 10 TD pace for an entire season. Only 4 QB have had 10 rushing TD in a season and only 2 in the past 30 years. So if people think he will have 830/10 rushing this year, by all means, draft him early and draft him often.

Todem said:
1) Manning

2) Palmer

3) Brees

4) McNabb

5) Brady

6) Bulger

7) Romo

Except for McNabb being in there. that's about how I have it. Like Mcnabb just can't jusfity taking him 4th when he's coming off of a season ending injury and has proven to be unreliable(because of his injury history). I'd actually take every guy on your list before Mcnabb. Perhaps even Kitna.

I like Rivers, Kitna and Romo all about the same at #7-9, although -2 per interception is the only reason Kitna isn't higher. The mystery this year to me is Young. I really like the guy a lot, but I see nobody for him to throw the rock to. Last year his PPG the 2nd half was outstanding and he didn't have much to work with then, either...
Young is a terrible passer(maybe the worst I've seen to get drafted as high as he did. Definitely worse than Vick). His wr's could easily make the claim that they don't have much to work with.

My rankings are currently at...

1. Manning

2. Palmer

3. Brees

4. Brady

5. Kitna

6. Bulger

7. McNabb

8. Romo

9. Cutler

10. Hasselbeck

11. Roethlisberger

12. Vince Young

13. Phillip Rivers

14. Brett Favre

This week, Cutler will likely drop in value for me, with Rivers increasing.

Users who are viewing this thread