What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Too forward/desperate? Question on post-interview interaction with hir (1 Viewer)

Should I send a sample proposal to the hiring manager?

• Do it; might help you.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Don't do it; not good etiquette.

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

The Noid

Avoid me!
Quick background: I wasn't actively looking but had been thinking about checking the landscape when a recruiter from a competitor contacted me and was (nicely) persistent. So I updated my resume, sent it over and interviewed 2 weeks ago. Interviewed with 5 different people and met the longest with the hiring manager. Thought things went well and walked away very excited about the opportunity and think it would be a great move for me. It's a lateral move (Director/SVP level) with a little bit of a bump but in an environment I think I would thrive better in. Sent the hiring manager a thank you, via email, the next morning and he responded it was great meeting with me and that they just started their search so it could be a couple weeks before I hear anything.

This weekend I had some free time and I put together a 5-page proposal around a couple of the issues he mentioned they are looking for help with, and the ideas I have to address them. Would it be out of line to send it to him? On one hand, it could set me apart from other candidates as showing initiative and it keeps me fresh in his mind during their search. On the other, it could set me apart in a bad way (too forward, my ideas could be way off-base from his own, etc.) As a hiring manager, I haven't ever had it happen, but feel like I would think positively of the candidate for doing it.

Here's what I drafted, to send:

Good Morning [Hiring Manager],

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know I am still very excited about the possibility of joining [company], and your team. Inspired by our conversation a couple weeks ago, I took some time this weekend to put together a sample proposal (attached) that addresses some of the problems you described. Admittedly, this is based on only a limited knowledge of the specifics and may be similar to things you have already considered, but I hope it serves as a very small example of the kind of the contributions and passion I bring to my work as an experienced [industry specific] leader.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future, whenever you have completed your candidate search.

Regards,

The Noid

I don't really see the upside in doing this.

1) The info you could be giving may no be applicable since you don't know all the details

2) Could rub the manager/team the wrong way that the "new" guy is already trying to throw in his 2 cents before he even starts

3) The hiring manager probably doesn't have time to even review so it could just be a waste of his/her and your time

I worked in my previous company's hiring dept for a little over a year. Most of the time, stuff like this just ended up in the garbage or never getting opened in emails.

I would suggest you follow up with the persistent internal recruiter who first reached out to you. That internal recruiter wants to get this job filled and move on to the next one so let him know you really enjoyed your interview and what you put together. Tell him you are a bit hesitant to send it directly to the Manager as you could see a Manager having both a positive and perhaps a negative reaction. Ask the recruiter how he/she feels the hiring manager might react to you sending him the information. While an internal recruiter isn't as much of an advocate for you as an agency recruiter would be, they still would have your best interest at heart especially since they first sourced you.

I would suggest you follow up with the persistent internal recruiter who first reached out to you. That internal recruiter wants to get this job filled and move on to the next one so let him know you really enjoyed your interview and what you put together. Tell him you are a bit hesitant to send it directly to the Manager as you could see a Manager having both a positive and perhaps a negative reaction. Ask the recruiter how he/she feels the hiring manager might react to you sending him the information. While an internal recruiter isn't as much of an advocate for you as an agency recruiter would be, they still would have your best interest at heart especially since they first sourced you.
This is the right answer. You followed up, they told you the process. Hang in there.

So, I took a combination of the advice in here. First, I let things lie and didn't do anything. Then late yesterday, I got a note from the recruiter letting me know there's still 2 more candidates coming in and they will be making a decision in early May. I took that opportunity to tell her I appreciated the update, I'm still interested, and that I put something together and asked for her opinion on whether or not the hiring manager would be interested in it. If so, I could give it to her, to pass along.

Haven't heard back yet, but feel good about this approach. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread