What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TOP GUN (1 Viewer)

It’s cool to see so many of you like the movie as I did.  I always assumed growing up in San Diego (where the movie was shot, where the real top gun school was- Miramar, going to Miramar to the yearly air show and eating at the KC BBQ - the restaurant where the singing scene was filmed) I had a connection to the movie that made me like it more.  Guess not, guess it just rocks (no pun intended @rockaction).  

It’s cool to see so many of you like the movie as I did.  I always assumed growing up in San Diego (where the movie was shot, where the real top gun school was- Miramar, going to Miramar to the yearly air show and eating at the KC BBQ - the restaurant where the singing scene was filmed) I had a connection to the movie that made me like it more.  Guess not, guess it just rocks (no pun intended @rockaction).  
They filmed some of it in my wife's hometown out in the desert, as well. There's still a Pic up of Cruise at one of the pizza places back in the 80s.  They filmed the desert scenes in this on base out there, too. 

SPOILER

The original holds a special place in my heart due to the time period and watching it with my dad when I was my son's age.  The original is still so much fun to watch.  When I heard they were finally making another one a few years ago, I still didn't actually believe it would happen and figured it would be really cheesy if it did.  This movie should win multiple awards.   To even consider remaking a movie like Top Gun seems insurmountable to me, and then to make it come out this good.  Tying in Rooster as seamlessly as they did and integrating Maverick back in so well. Absolute genius.  Had no clue Ice Man was in it due to his health. Then, how they tied that into it. Brilliant 

Last edited by a moderator:
The original holds a special place in my heart due to the time period and watching it with my dad when I was my son's age.  The original is still so much fun to watch.  When I heard they were finally making another one a few years ago, I still didn't actually believe it would happen and figured it would be really cheesy if it did.  This movie should win multiple awards.   To even consider remaking a movie like Top Gun seems insurmountable to me, and then to make it come out this good.  Tying in Rooster as seamlessly as they did and integrating Maverick back in so well. Absolute genius.  Had no clue Ice Man was in it due to his health. Then, how they tied that into it. Brilliant 
Rooster?  You mean Sundown?   (I haven’t seen new one yet btw) 

Such a fantastic movie. Action was first rate and they tied in the first movie perfectly without being overly sappy. Loved every minute of it
Had to piss so bad but just couldn't find a good stopping point to go. Didn't want to miss anything.  Loved how they tied in the old movie without the sappiness. 

Apparently this is the movie of the year. I’ve seen the first one, liked it fine but didn’t ever think much of it again. Guess I’m going to have to watch it again and go see this.

Apparently this is the movie of the year. I’ve seen the first one, liked it fine but didn’t ever think much of it again. Guess I’m going to have to watch it again and go see this.
I'm gathering a lot of it is based on nostalgia for time, place, and characters. Might be disappointed. Just from what I'm reading. I liked the first one, too, but wouldn't really give it a hagiographical review or anything. 

This and Everything Everywhere All At Once are instant classics. Absolute must sees for anyone who likes movies. 

I posted this in the "Emotional Moments in the Theater" thread, but thought it was a good story for here too...

It's 1986.  I was 10 yrs old and very close to my cousin Kathy who was an Air Force pilot graduate that year (she now flies cargo planes for UPS...I'm guessing some of them have carried rubber dog ish out of Hong Kong before, ironically).  Anyways, me and my mom flew out to Colorado (from Wisconsin) to be there for her graduation.   We went a week early to just spend extra time with her and just have it be a vacation.   Well, on the week leading up to the graduation they had an event where all the graduates got to get an early preview of a new movie coming out about fighter pilots starring Tom Cruise....it wasn't releasing to the public for another month   Each graduate got a ticket for themselves and one extra ticket for a guest.   Kathy chose me to go see this movie with her.   So, it's 10 yr old me in a theatre with a bunch of Air Force pilots watching the original Top Gun before anybody else in the world knew much about it.   One specific moment that I remember is when they first said/showed the words "The Navy" in the movie, the theatre was filled with boo's and some sort of Air Force yell (like hoo rah, but whatever the Air Force pilots say).  My cousin let me wear her Air Force Hat throughout the movie and walking out with it on after the movie high fiving and saluting all the other pilots in full uniform. 

I get back to school and I'm telling all my friends (again, 10 yr olds) about this awesome movie...going into detail about scenes including the sex scene and the french kissing silhouettes, lol.   Most of the kids thought I was making it up.   Then when it came out and all the buzz started, they thought I was the coolest.   Such an amazing experience that I'll never forget.

rockaction said:
I'm gathering a lot of it is based on nostalgia for time, place, and characters. Might be disappointed. Just from what I'm reading. I liked the first one, too, but wouldn't really give it a hagiographical review or anything. 
Yea this sounds right for me. I was a young’n when the original came out. Probably saw it in the late 90s. We watched it again today, and it’s fine, nothing amazing for me though. We’ll go see the new one. I’m glad they make people so happy. 

I was in diapers when the first one came out so I don't have any particular nostalgia for it, but they nailed this. Great fun flick. 

I rewatched the original 1986 Top Gun last night for the fun of it on Netflix (goes away 5/31, fyi).   It still holds up really well to this day.  Some misc. observations..

- Why did Goose have a Polaroid camera in the fighter jet to take a pic of them giving the bird to the MIG?

- Playing volleyball in jeans mid-summer?   

- And why did these guys wrap their hands in tape like a boxer to play pickup volleyball?

- And then putting on the wool collared leather bomber jacket AFTER just completing a heated volleyball game mid-summer?

- Next time I go to a chick's house for a first date, I'm gonna ask to take a shower at her place 2 mins after arriving. (and then put my sweaty clothes back on after cuz it's all I have).  Boss move.

- The Navy must not believe in Air Conditioning, cuz damn these guys were sweating bullets constantly.

I rewatched the original 1986 Top Gun last night for the fun of it on Netflix (goes away 5/31, fyi).   It still holds up really well to this day.  Some misc. observations..

- Why did Goose have a Polaroid camera in the fighter jet to take a pic of them giving the bird to the MIG?

- And why did these guys wrap their hands in tape like a boxer to play pickup volleyball?

- And then putting on the wool collared leather bomber jacket AFTER just completing a heated volleyball game mid-summer?

- Next time I go to a chick's house for a first date, I'm gonna ask to take a shower at her place 2 mins after arriving. (and then put my sweaty clothes back on after cuz it's all I have).  Boss move.

- The Navy must not believe in Air Conditioning, cuz damn these guys were sweating bullets constantly.
Was it mid-summer or is it because it's in San Diego? 

Was it mid-summer or is it because it's in San Diego? 
Well I’ve lived here my whole life so I tackle this one

-beach jeans? Huge no-no unless you’re announcing to the world you’re from the mid-west.

-never wrapped my hands to play beach volleyball, makes it hard to grab the beer  

-do I even need to address the bomber jacket thought

-shower is a boss move

- it’s always 72.  No sweating allowed

Now with all that said I’m not Tom Cruise so disregard all my opinions above.  

😂

-beach jeans? Huge no-no unless you’re announcing to the world you’re from the mid-west.
Hmmmm, on this one, maybe it was thought out and done on purpose then.   Where is Lt. Pete Mitchell from....anybody know. The Midwest maybe?!?

Due to my experience/job I had some issues with some of the plot that most people won't see.  I pointed them out to my wife and she told me to shut up.  It was a good movie and will be taking my 13 year old to see it this week.  The only real issue I had was the ending scene with Connelly. 

Because it’s cool

Cruise did it. Highest grossing Memorial Day weekend of all time. $156 million, also a Tom Cruise weekend record.
Love it…caught POTC? Looking back at holiday weekend summer action openings like T2…these Maverick numbers are incredible.

Love it…caught POTC? Looking back at holiday weekend summer action openings like T2…these Maverick numbers are incredible.
Took me a few rides to figure out what you meant by POTC but yeah it did surpass one of the Pirates movie for the record. I guess Cruise got it a 120 day theatrical window so it will be in theaters all summer. 

Well I’ve lived here my whole life so I tackle this one

-never wrapped my hands to play beach volleyball, makes it hard to grab the beer  

-do I even need to address the bomber jacket thought

-shower is a boss move

- it’s always 72.  No sweating allowed

No with all that said I’m not Tom Cruise so disregard all my opinions above.  
military people are a different breed, officers even more so. that said beach jeans are reserved for people coming down from riverside or corona. 

Users who are viewing this thread