What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

just want to say that I made this chili today, refridgerating right now for tomorrow...and...wow it is AMAZING

thanks

that is all

made this yesterday for the game today. It is really good. :)

I used fresh chili's instead of dried. What is the advantage of dried for this recipe?

<!--quoteo(post=12829312:date=Jan 18 2011, 10:36 PM:name=Hastur)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hastur @ Jan 18 2011, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=12829312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll be smoking the meat when I enter the chili into my companies chili cook-off(about 500 employees, 8 entries last year).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Alright, here's how it is set up: There are several entries, each with the 'chefs' name attached to the crock pot. There is also these two people who had 'Skyline' chili from a restaurant in Cinncinati flown in. These two people are standing there thru the day telling people how much better their chili is than everyone elses.The whole thing is a bit shady...
So what happened? Where did you finish? Where did Skyline finish?

<!--quoteo(post=12829312:date=Jan 18 2011, 10:36 PM:name=Hastur)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hastur @ Jan 18 2011, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=12829312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll be smoking the meat when I enter the chili into my companies chili cook-off(about 500 employees, 8 entries last year).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Alright, here's how it is set up: There are several entries, each with the 'chefs' name attached to the crock pot. There is also these two people who had 'Skyline' chili from a restaurant in Cinncinati flown in. These two people are standing there thru the day telling people how much better their chili is than everyone elses.The whole thing is a bit shady...
So what happened? Where did you finish? Where did Skyline finish?
They only listed the 'winner', which wasn't me. It was a complete farce. One of the people with chili was the Operations Manager of the company and he was walking around handing out pamphlets saying why his chili should win. There was the Skyline chili too, with the guys standing right there trying to influence peoples decision. My chili('our' chili really) was the only chili without beans, which seemed to upset a lot of people.

Gonna work up a batch of this for a golf tournament on Friday. There will be 144 golfers and I am going to use small serving cups (think single scoop ice cream cups). Not everyone will eat chili, will two batches be enough or is that overkill?

Gonna work up a batch of this for a golf tournament on Friday. There will be 144 golfers and I am going to use small serving cups (think single scoop ice cream cups). Not everyone will eat chili, will two batches be enough or is that overkill?
its to hot for chili.how about some nice Gazpacho?

Different recipe that seems to be well liked by my friends and family:

2 lbs. ground beef

1 lb. sausage

3 large onions, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

3 poblano peppers, blackened and chopped

2 cans red kidney beans

1 can white kidney beans

1 can black beans

2 cans tomato sauce

1 can tomato paste

3 cans stewed tomatoes

1 can diced tomatoes

2 bay leaves

1 tbsp salt

3 tsp black pepper

3 tsp chili powder

1 tsp red pepper

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp sugar

1 tsp parsley

1 1/2 tsp basil

1 1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 cup beer of preference

Cook on low, stirring occasionally, for 4+ hours. Longer is better. Just made a batch last night. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
just bumping this fantastic thread as I am making this chili for the 3rd time right now.always a hit with a fam.
Nice bump...been thinking about making chili some football sunday the last few weekends. Whats the go-to recipe in here, is it the OP or has something better been brought up?

just bumping this fantastic thread as I am making this chili for the 3rd time right now.always a hit with a fam.
Nice bump...been thinking about making chili some football sunday the last few weekends. Whats the go-to recipe in here, is it the OP or has something better been brought up?
I used the OP's recipe, I just substitute chili powder for the chili puree, about 4-5 tablespoons

Made this Thursday myself. This one turned out the best so far! My wife, who hates soups and stews in general and chili in particular, actually requested it!I can't believe how much chili I have eaten the last 2 days, and probably more in my future today!!!

I used the updated version on about page 7 or so of this thread. I don't think you can go wrong either way!

I used the updated version on about page 7 or so of this thread. I don't think you can go wrong either way!
:goodposting: I use a modified Offdee/Smails hybrid recipe. Tastes awesome. Freezes pretty well too if you are so inclined. Easily my go-to chili recipe

Is stew meat different than ground beef? Do they sell it and dried chiles at your standard grocery store?
MUCH different. Chunks of beef vs. ground. You'll see stew meat in every grocery store. I get mine at Costco. Most supermarkets, at least in California, sell dried Chiles.

Is stew meat different than ground beef? Do they sell it and dried chiles at your standard grocery store?
MUCH different. Chunks of beef vs. ground. You'll see stew meat in every grocery store. I get mine at Costco. Most supermarkets, at least in California, sell dried Chiles.
They do not sell dried chiles in the Buffalo, NY Wegmans where I shop. I buy "fresh" (in quotes because who knows how fresh they really are; either way, not canned/dried/etc.) Anaheim or Poblano peppers and cook them in beer as the recipe calls for.I have always opted for chuck roast as opposed to the stew meat and it works great. Just another option if the "stew meat" isn't available.

I made a Chili Verde with Pork and Tomatillos this week which came out really well.
Huge fan of chili verde and anything with tomatillos. Please post recipe. Either this thread or Tipsey's FBG recipe thread. TIA
Here is what I did. It is about 80% borrowed from online on the foodnetwork.6 Jalapino peppers halfed and stemmed3 Anaheims peppers halfed and stemmed8 galic cloves smashed5 Red Onions chopped up2 lb Tomatillos, remove outside and halfCanola oil to brown porkOlive Oil for veggies5-6 lbs of pork cut into 1 inch cubes (I used pork loin, shoulder is more common)6 cups chicken stock/broth2 cups fresh chopped cilantro leafs1/4 cup sugarSalt and Pepper to tasteToss the onions, peppers, tomatillos, galic together with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Spread out on a couple cookie sheets and put in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes to roast. Stir midway. Take out when they start to brown a bit.While roasting the other stuff, brown the pork in a frying pan with medium-high heat and canola oil. You need to do it about 1 pound at a time. Just cook it long enough to brown the outside. After you cook each batch throw in a big soup pot with the chicken broth and start to heat that up on a medium heat.After roasting add the veggies to the meat/broth and let cook for about 1-1/2 hours.Puree the chopped Cilantro in a processor/blender with a couple tablespoons of water. Add cilantro puree, sugar, salt, and pepper. It makes about enough to fill a large crock pot.

Followed the original recipe (post #1) to a tee except for the Jack...did not have it and was not going to spend the money for one shot.

The flavor profile of this chili was the best I have ever had. My family and I absolutely loved it. The only change I would make would be less meat and more beans. 5 lbs of stew meat is ALOT of meat and two cans of beans was not nearly enough.

Next time, I will reduce the meat to 3 lbs and go with 4 or 5 cans of beans which will make the meat/beans about 50/50.

Fantastic recipe and very easy to make...the extra Fat Tire (I bought a 6 pack) made the cooking process that much better.

Thanks OP! :thumbup:

Followed the original recipe (post #1) to a tee except for the Jack...did not have it and was not going to spend the money for one shot.The flavor profile of this chili was the best I have ever had. My family and I absolutely loved it. The only change I would make would be less meat and more beans. 5 lbs of stew meat is ALOT of meat and two cans of beans was not nearly enough.Next time, I will reduce the meat to 3 lbs and go with 4 or 5 cans of beans which will make the meat/beans about 50/50. Fantastic recipe and very easy to make...the extra Fat Tire (I bought a 6 pack) made the cooking process that much better.Thanks OP! :thumbup:
You know you can buy those little miniature bottles of liquor (airaplane bottles) at the liquor store. $2 or $3 bucks. :thumbup:

Followed the original recipe (post #1) to a tee except for the Jack...did not have it and was not going to spend the money for one shot.The flavor profile of this chili was the best I have ever had. My family and I absolutely loved it. The only change I would make would be less meat and more beans. 5 lbs of stew meat is ALOT of meat and two cans of beans was not nearly enough.Next time, I will reduce the meat to 3 lbs and go with 4 or 5 cans of beans which will make the meat/beans about 50/50. Fantastic recipe and very easy to make...the extra Fat Tire (I bought a 6 pack) made the cooking process that much better.Thanks OP! :thumbup:
Try the other recipe in this thread. I found the perfect blend of meat is 3lb stew meat with 3lb of some sort of ground meat (some times I use hamburger, some times chorizo, some times something else).

Doing this again tomorrow...glad the thread is to the top again.

Going no beans in the chili and having a pot of my garlic black beans prepared for anyone who wants them...will serve my chili over the beans and see how that goes.

Interesting. The only reason I add beans at all is to satisfy the vegetarians.

How many people does this recipe serve?

Thinking about making this as is and then freezing the rest, as we have a baby on the way and will need quick meal from time to time.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Making a version of this today. I am using double stout guinness instead of an amber beer (creature of habit) and I looked high and low for the mexican chilies. Ended up with dehydrated chipotle chilies instead (is that a problem?). Also adding a bit of bell peppers and some freshed diced tomatoes. I slow cooked a 5 pound roast in beer and beef stock and slow cooked pork necks in a little red wine. For the pork, since I used guinness, I bought sweet italian sausage. I am entering a chili cookoff tomorrow. I will report back with the results.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)

1 shot of Jack Daniels

34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans)

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside.

In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour.

You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup.

Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili's – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it.

Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time.

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Making a version of this today. I am using double stout guinness instead of an amber beer (creature of habit) and I looked high and low for the mexican chilies. Ended up with dehydrated chipotle chilies instead (is that a problem?). Also adding a bit of bell peppers and some freshed diced tomatoes. I slow cooked a 5 pound roast in beer and beef stock and slow cooked pork necks in a little red wine. For the pork, since I used guinness, I bought sweet italian sausage. I am entering a chili cookoff tomorrow. I will report back with the results.
Interesting variations. Personally I am not a fan of chipotle but plenty of people love them and it should add a distinctive flavor. Just be aware that they do rate higher on the Scoville scale than New Mexico chilies so expect more heat from the finished product.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)

1 shot of Jack Daniels

34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans)

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside.

In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour.

You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup.

Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili's – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it.

Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time.

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Interesting variations. Personally I am not a fan of chipotle but plenty of people love them and it should add a distinctive flavor. Just be aware that they do rate higher on the Scoville scale than New Mexico chilies so expect more heat from the finished product.
How much higher? I want a little kick, but I don't want the heat to kill my chances of winning. I am a tad competitive when it comes to cooking and the men I am up against claim women can't cook chili. I plan to prove them wrong... My 20 minute chili consist of 3 different chili powders, white pepper, red pepper, black pepper, kosher salt, ground sirloin, sweet sausage, 3 pureed tomatoes, 1 guinness, onion, bell peppers, garlic, and tomato juice. I get very good reviews on that and it is way easy. I decided to up my game a tad and try something new... I hear good things about the meat on a pork neck, but I have to say they look kinda gross. lol

My chili seems VERY thick... I want to thin it out a bit, but don't want to ruin the flavor (it is amazing). Thoughts??? Here are a few ideas I thought of... Add another bottle of guinness, puree 4 tomatoes, or add more beef broth.

You know you can buy those little miniature bottles of liquor (airaplane bottles) at the liquor store. $2 or $3 bucks. :thumbup:
I feel silly for not thinking of that. :goodposting:

Interesting. The only reason I add beans at all is to satisfy the vegetarians.
I grew up eating bean based chili's with the meat being a compliment and not the star like this recipe calls for. Certainly nothing wrong with it..just personal preference on my end.

How many people does this recipe serve?Thinking about making this as is and then freezing the rest, as we have a baby on the way and will need quick meal from time to time.
My whole family agreed...the chili actually tasted better the next day as leftovers.

My chili seems VERY thick... I want to thin it out a bit, but don't want to ruin the flavor (it is amazing). Thoughts??? Here are a few ideas I thought of... Add another bottle of guinness, puree 4 tomatoes, or add more beef broth.
More beer. :thumbup:

I just finished reading this entire thread from the beginning. I'm heading out to get the ingredients we don't already have and am making this today. Will report back, but I can't imagine I'll have anything new to add to the "wow's" already posted.

Thanks for the recent bump!

ETA -- I've never really chopped onions and couldn't help but think the people "crying" when they were doing it was schtick. Well, it's not. I'm not a big onion guy, but I had to follow the recipe. It's in the simmering stage right now.

Nothing wrong with a thick chili, but if you want it thinner to I would probably go with a combo of beer, tomatoes & broth.I left a link to the Scoville heat scale in my last post. It suggests chipotle (5,000-8,000) are anywhere from 3-8 times hotter than New Mexico chilies (1,000-1,500). However this scale goes to over 1 million so a difference of 3-7000 scoville units is probably not all that significant in reality.

I'd like to make at least twice as much as this recipe does. What do I multiply times the qty listed and what do I not? I'm assuming the meat/beans go ratio but what about the rest?

I'd like to make at least twice as much as this recipe does. What do I multiply times the qty listed and what do I not? I'm assuming the meat/beans go ratio but what about the rest?
You must have huge pots.Why wouldn't you double everything?

An hour into the simmer and it tastes great. The first little taste was a little hotter than I expected, but the next 2 were just about perfect. I don't know what happened with the first litlle taste, but I think this is going to be great.

You must have huge pots.Why wouldn't you double everything?
I've got a thirty quart pot, which I'm used to making chili in (to the brim). But I'm intrigued by this recipe because it's so different from what I'm used to.

Users who are viewing this thread