What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

My final verdict is that this is a very good recipe. If you follow to the letter, you really can't screw it up. Hell, I tripled everything, didn't have the right stove/utensils, and it still turned out great.

I may like my own recipe - which is much less exotic (no beer or puree-of-chili, for example) - better. But that's likely in part because I'm more comfortable with it and I can get a little wild with seasonings while I'm making it. I didn't do that with the Judge's. And his takes about half the time mine does.

Ya know....I made this tonight verbatim, I mean EXACTLY per the recipe. This to me was like a soup or stew. Kept waiting for it to reduce down to a chili consistency, but even simmering for 4 hours it was like a soup. My idea of chili is always a thick mash of stuff, not watery. I went back and re-read the list of ingredients and measurements, but I had it exactly as specified. Am I wrong in my assumption of chili? The only chili I've ever made has been in the crock pot, and it is always THICK. Not hating, guess I just like a thick chili.
Some people think that chili is runny. I think that is soup. I will try this tomorrow.
The simplest way is to wait till the end to add the last beer and the beef stock. If it looks too thin, just add less liquid.For my recipe above, it's definitely thick and chili like.Another thing lots of people do is add masa or finely ground corn flour to thicken it. J
One other thing - and I doubt any of the culinary experts haven't done it - when in "simmer" mode, take the lid off and let it cook down. That releases the moisture so it's not so runny. I think I took the lid off after about 30 minutes.
I usually do this but cook 1 hour with the lid on then the next hour or so with he lid off .

'Uruk-Hai said:
'Joe Bryant said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
Ya know....I made this tonight verbatim, I mean EXACTLY per the recipe. This to me was like a soup or stew. Kept waiting for it to reduce down to a chili consistency, but even simmering for 4 hours it was like a soup. My idea of chili is always a thick mash of stuff, not watery. I went back and re-read the list of ingredients and measurements, but I had it exactly as specified. Am I wrong in my assumption of chili? The only chili I've ever made has been in the crock pot, and it is always THICK. Not hating, guess I just like a thick chili.
Some people think that chili is runny. I think that is soup. I will try this tomorrow.
The simplest way is to wait till the end to add the last beer and the beef stock. If it looks too thin, just add less liquid.For my recipe above, it's definitely thick and chili like.Another thing lots of people do is add masa or finely ground corn flour to thicken it. J
One other thing - and I doubt any of the culinary experts haven't done it - when in "simmer" mode, take the lid off and let it cook down. That releases the moisture so it's not so runny. I think I took the lid off after about 30 minutes.
Yes. For you guys newer to cooking stuff - lid on means cooking but all liquid stays inside meaning the consistency won't change. Lid off allows liquid to escape as steam and it'll get thicker.J

Wife and I just demolished the best batch yet. The only tweeks were 3 times the amount of JD and cayenne pepper. :banned: :banned: :banned:
last time I made a batch I had 3 tsp of the cayenne as well. this is the perfect amount imo.however, i've never altered the amount of shots that go in (been using Beam instead of JD in mine).

Wife and I just demolished the best batch yet. The only tweeks were 3 times the amount of JD and cayenne pepper. :banned: :banned: :banned:
last time I made a batch I had 3 tsp of the cayenne as well. this is the perfect amount imo.however, i've never altered the amount of shots that go in (been using Beam instead of JD in mine).
Heat is the easiest thing to add for taste. I make it milder so all can enjoy - then kick mine up a notch..

Heat is the easiest thing to add for taste. I make it milder so all can enjoy - then kick mine up a notch..
yeah, heat and salt both work that way

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Quoting post above for the guy a couple posts up asking for advice/tips. Do the above for guaranteed tastebud enjoyment.
Gonna make this tomorrow. I think Im going to go with this tweaked version as I want the beef:sausage ratio at least 1:1...Couple small questions:

-8qt pot is definitely big enough? Thats what I have but I dont need any overflow

-Should I chop off the chile stems before hydrating? Im assuming it would be easier at that point but dont want to if that changes up the hyrdration process, etc.

-Would adding a little more garlic be a bad idea?

-Once Im at the point of adding the meat, what level of heat should I be cooking it at to brown. Looks like high, but not sure.

-Should the bay leaves be dried or fresh? Leave them whole or no?

-Fat Tire would be my beer of choice but they dont sell it here. Any recommendations? Im thinking Newcastle would be a good call.

TIA

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

Green onion for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Quoting post above for the guy a couple posts up asking for advice/tips. Do the above for guaranteed tastebud enjoyment.
Gonna make this tomorrow. I think Im going to go with this tweaked version as I want the beef:sausage ratio at least 1:1...Couple small questions:

-8qt pot is definitely big enough? Thats what I have but I dont need any overflow

Yup, that's the size I use and you're fine.

-Should I chop off the chile stems before hydrating? Im assuming it would be easier at that point but dont want to if that changes up the hyrdration process, etc.

I do the same (remove stems, but not seeds) and no issues. Except we don't strain out the beer. Never tried it that way.

-Would adding a little more garlic be a bad idea?

Not in my opinion, just make sure not to burn the garlic.

-Once Im at the point of adding the meat, what level of heat should I be cooking it at to brown. Looks like high, but not sure.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say 8 works well.

-Should the bay leaves be dried or fresh? Leave them whole or no?

In my years of cooking, I've never noticed any flavor difference between dried vs fresh (in regards to bay leaves specifically). I'd keep them whole as they are much easier to remove after cooking this way.

-Fat Tire would be my beer of choice but they dont sell it here. Any recommendations? Im thinking Newcastle would be a good call.

We use Fat Tire or whatever seasonal Sam's Adams in currently being produced. We have also tried Shock Top and enjoyed that as well.

TIA
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...couple other dumb questions:

-Whats "regular" size can of tomato paste and tomato soup? 6oz for the paste and 11-12oz for the soup is my guess but not sure.

-Dont think I have ground cayenne. What would the best substitute be out of: chipotle chile powder, ancho chile powder, ground red pepper

-Forgot to pick up the most important ingredient, Jack Daniels :bag: I have cheap canadian whiskey (Imperial). Should I toss a shot of that in the pot or just bypass the liquor?

Thanks...couple other dumb questions:-Whats "regular" size can of tomato paste and tomato soup? 6oz for the paste and 11-12oz for the soup is my guess but not sure.-Dont think I have ground cayenne. What would the best substitute be out of: chipotle chile powder, ancho chile powder, ground red pepper-Forgot to pick up the most important ingredient, Jack Daniels :bag: I have cheap canadian whiskey (Imperial). Should I toss a shot of that in the pot or just bypass the liquor?
KP, I got the 11/12 or whatever oz size for the paste as well as the soup. Don't know about the cayenne substitute but red pepper would be my guess.I would think the Imperial would be fine as it's such a small amount. Anywhere you can buy a miniature of Jack? FWIW, I used Crown. Can't taste the whiskey anyway.eta: I used Dos Equiis Amber for the beer. It's the only amber my grocery store had & I didn't feel like driving to a specialty store.

---------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

2 tsp oregano

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

Green onion for garnish

Directions:

Gonna make this tomorrow. I think Im going to go with this tweaked version as I want the beef:sausage ratio at least 1:1...
This came out great the other week. Perfect amount of heat that didnt overpower the flavor profile, although I think I used a little more cayenne than called for.Went with 1.5lb chuck roast, 1lb hot italian sausage, 1lb chorizo, 1lb sweet italian sausage. There was too much prep to really stick with the listed times, and not enough room to brown the meat in the pot, so I had the onions sauteed for probably at least a half hour while I browned the meat in a skillet about a lb at a time, adding it to the pot when done and putting the spices in during that point. Ended up only letting it simmer for 1.5hrs tops, but it still was plenty thick.

Used Great Lakes Eliot Ness for the beer, I think it was a good choice.

Cent wait to make the next batch in a few weeks over the holidays, only think I want to do is get a Magic Bullet or something similar because chopping up all that onion by hand took almost a ####in hour!!

I've done several of Alien's recipes and never once had a bad one. I can imagine this would be great in the chili and might try it next time. It just adds a little bit of prep time, but no big deal there.
One good thing though is that you can easily use leftover meat that's been frozen. I've made the chili now with brisket and also smoked pork loin that I had frozen after it was cooked. Chop and add to the chili and it's perfect.J

Had an unexpected day off from work, and made my first batch today. Only thing I added was a dollop of sour cream at serving. Insanely good recipe. Thanks Judge!

That time of year again (love how this thread gets so much action for only a couple months a year).

Marinated Roast/Brisket? Hmmmm..... That could be cool. Joe, it sounds like you actually prepare smoked Brisket then use leftovers in chili. Is that right? Or do you cube the meat, marinate, then brown the marinated cubes?

I think I'm settling on this. Black Eyed Joe's Brisket Chili

J
do you have a recipe or just a pretty picture? smoked a 9 pd brisket last week and froze over half so looking for a decent recipe for a NYE party.Merry Xmas.
Hi SK,

Pic: http://joebryant.tumblr.com/post/14776594501/black-eyed-joes-brisket-chili

Here's what I've settled on for now:

Black Eyed Joe's Chili

2 TBS bacon grease

3 pounds cooked brisket – chopped to 1” pieces

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

1 entire head of garlic minced (about 10-12 cloves)

about 12 large dried New Mexico Chilies (double handful)

1 small can of tomato paste

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TBS dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

3 cups beef broth (used Swanson Beef stock instead of Broth and it was good) (or homemade)

36 oz of Shiner Bock beer

1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate

3 TBS Sweet Spicy Love Rub

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Remove stems but leave seeds. Pour beer from steamed chilis into blender with chiles. Add 2nd beer and puree fine. May have to add more beer to get it out of blender.

Used 8 dried chiles in mix of Gaujillo, Pasillo and Ancho plus 4 or 5 hatch chiles.

In a large stock pot heat the bacon grease. Add the onions and cook over med heat until soft. About 15-20 minutes. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more. Remove onions and garlic. Add sausage and cook until mostly browned. Remove sausage.

To browned pork, add onion and garlic mix. Add oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, chili puree, 12 oz beer, stock, tomato paste, chocolate, sweet spicy love rub, pork loin and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency.

J
do you have a recipe or just a pretty picture? smoked a 9 pd brisket last week and froze over half so looking for a decent recipe for a NYE party.Merry Xmas.
Hi SK,

Black Eyed Joe's Chili

2 TBS bacon grease

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TBS dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

3 cups beef broth (used Swanson Beef stock instead of Broth and it was good) (or homemade)

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Remove stems but leave seeds. Pour beer from steamed chilis into blender with chiles. Add 2nd beer and puree fine. May have to add more beer to get it out of blender.

Used 8 dried chiles in mix of Gaujillo, Pasillo and Ancho plus 4 or 5 hatch chiles.

In a large stock pot heat the bacon grease. Add the onions and cook over med heat until soft. About 15-20 minutes. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more. Remove onions and garlic. Add sausage and cook until mostly browned. Remove sausage.

To browned pork, add onion and garlic mix. Add oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, chili puree, 12 oz beer, stock, tomato paste, chocolate, sweet spicy love rub, pork loin and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency.
Awesome, thx! Not sure if I can find New Mexico chiles in Michigan, any alternatives? Poblano?

J
Hi SK,

Black Eyed Joe's Chili

2 TBS bacon grease

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TBS dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

Awesome, thx! Not sure if I can find New Mexico chiles in Michigan, any alternatives? Poblano?
Yeah, Fresh Poblano would work. But you'll want to char them. I bet you can find dried chiles though. They'll be in the hispanic section of the grocery store. Look like http://www.amazon.com/Mexico-Dried-Whole-chile-Peppers/dp/B002T167DWLet us know how it turns out.

J

I can get them at Kroger in Ohio. They are near the salad bar and bagged salads/fresh herbs. My store has them up high over head on the awning thing of the cooler.

I can get them at Kroger in Ohio. They are near the salad bar and bagged salads/fresh herbs. My store has them up high over head on the awning thing of the cooler.
I'll try Whole Foods but just in case I was looking for a substitute. the Kroger's closest to me(1/4 mile) is my 4th choice usually but you never know. Merry xmas guster.

I'll try Whole Foods but just in case I was looking for a substitute. the Kroger's closest to me(1/4 mile) is my 4th choice usually but you never know. Merry xmas guster.
Also I see the recipe isn't clear. Disregard where it says "remove pork". Leave the pork sausage in the pot and add back the sauteed onions / garlic and other ingredients.J

Merry Christmas, SK :thumbup:

Also I see the recipe isn't clear. Disregard where it says "remove pork". Leave the pork sausage in the pot and add back the sauteed onions / garlic and other ingredients.J
It worked out pretty well. If I make it again, I would probably eliminate one bottle of beer and perhaps use beef stock or bbq drippings from the brisket. Chili victims thought that the beer taste overwhelmed the chilis and brisket. Rehydrating the chilis and putting them in a blender was awesome! I made it early NYE, done around 10am. By the time I reheated for the party at 8pm, it was much hotter(spicy). Nice kick.

I'm going to make this tonight, but I have a question that I didn't see answered in my broswing of the thread. Are you discarding the beer that was used to simmer the chiles in, or are you using that as part of the beer to add?

I'm going to make this tonight, but I have a question that I didn't see answered in my broswing of the thread. Are you discarding the beer that was used to simmer the chiles in, or are you using that as part of the beer to add?
I've always discarded the beer, but some "foodies" on other boards whom I discussed this with have suggested I add it to the chili. I'd love to know how it works for you, if you do try it.

I've always discarded the beer, but some "foodies" on other boards whom I discussed this with have suggested I add it to the chili. I'd love to know how it works for you, if you do try it.
I discard most of it, but I do add some of it back when I blend up the chiles. I find that without any liquid, the chiles stick quickly to the side of the blender and don't have the right consistency. I use a bit of the beer that it was simmered in to help blend it to the consistency I like before adding it to the pot.

I discard most of it, but I do add some of it back when I blend up the chiles. I find that without any liquid, the chiles stick quickly to the side of the blender and don't have the right consistency. I use a bit of the beer that it was simmered in to help blend it to the consistency I like before adding it to the pot.
:goodposting: That's what I did last night.Last night was my 'warm up' for my companies chili cook-off happening in a few weeks.

i need to make a batch. I'm off diet right now, so maybe I should do it Thursday or Friday night. I have venison stew meat in the freezer, so it's time to break that out to use.

Brisket and rib meat sounds awesome. I might throw some country style ribs in with mine this time as well.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

3 pounds venison stew meat

2 pounds country style (pork) ribs

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

2 large green bell peppers chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced 2 extra cloves

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)

28 oz can Cento whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Bell's Amber as I can't get Fat Tire here)

3 shots Maker's Mark

Dash of cinnamon, probably two.. probably over did it a bit
No beansI found the heat a bit lacking after the 1.5 hour mark, so I added some cayenne. Probably another tsp and a half.

Also, I have a thick bottomed pot I used tonight which isn't great for my stove, so I've been cooking a lot longer (2.5 hours now), so I'm going a lot more slowly.

Still, I tried some just now and it's stellar. I should've dialed down the cinnamon a bit, but I wouldn't omit it.

At 1.5 hours at the lower heat I was cooking, I stripped the pork ribs and broke them apart. They've been cooking with the beef since and both have similar consistency. Chili consistency should be coming soon.

I think it's my best batch yet.

Actually, this turned out worse after sobering up and trying the next morning. Crossing country style ribs off my list.

I'm making this for 20 people tomorrow.

I've made it before on a smaller scale.

For 20 people (only other dish is cornbread), what do you guys think, double the basic recipe?

(I've used 3 lbs. of beef/1 lb. sausage in the past for the basic batch size)

What beef do you guys prefer (assuming I don't have a smoked brisket handy)?

I've used London Broil before, with good results. This time I'm debating between trimmed chuck and round. I won't be able to cook it more than about 2 hours, so I'm leaning towards round.

Has anyone ever used a hoppy beer in this? Does the bitterness cook out or is it too dominant?

I've got 15 gallons of beer in the basement either bottled or fermenting. All quite hoppy. I do have a beer that's a tad green, but might work. It's got the sweetness of a typical amber (though not as bready as Fat Tire), but it's got much more hop bitterness.

I'm making this for 20 people tomorrow. I've made it before on a smaller scale.For 20 people (only other dish is cornbread), what do you guys think, double the basic recipe?(I've used 3 lbs. of beef/1 lb. sausage in the past for the basic batch size)What beef do you guys prefer (assuming I don't have a smoked brisket handy)?I've used London Broil before, with good results. This time I'm debating between trimmed chuck and round. I won't be able to cook it more than about 2 hours, so I'm leaning towards round.Has anyone ever used a hoppy beer in this? Does the bitterness cook out or is it too dominant?I've got 15 gallons of beer in the basement either bottled or fermenting. All quite hoppy. I do have a beer that's a tad green, but might work. It's got the sweetness of a typical amber (though not as bready as Fat Tire), but it's got much more hop bitterness.
Why won't you be able to cook it more than 2 hours? First, you should cook it a day or two before eating it. Second, cook it in regular 'batches', as cooking it the regular 2 hours but doubling the recipe might not give it time to reduce enough.

Btw, just a cautionary note:

I made this chili last week for Sunday. At the grocery store, the 18oz tomato paste was on sale so I bought that instead of the smaller container. BIG mistake. My chili was more like a sauce. I didn't think the extra few ounces would matter and it most definitely did.

Are most of you using 4oz or 8oz tomato paste?

Users who are viewing this thread