What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

Btw, just a cautionary note:I made this chili last week for Sunday. At the grocery store, the 18oz tomato paste was on sale so I bought that instead of the smaller container. BIG mistake. My chili was more like a sauce. I didn't think the extra few ounces would matter and it most definitely did. Are most of you using 4oz or 8oz tomato paste?
People keep messing with perfection - I don't even recognize some of these recipes above. Pork ribs and cinnamon?

Btw, just a cautionary note:I made this chili last week for Sunday. At the grocery store, the 18oz tomato paste was on sale so I bought that instead of the smaller container. BIG mistake. My chili was more like a sauce. I didn't think the extra few ounces would matter and it most definitely did. Are most of you using 4oz or 8oz tomato paste?
People keep messing with perfection - I don't even recognize some of these recipes above. Pork ribs and cinnamon?
Yeah, I know. Mine wasn't meant to be messing with perfection, just a thought that a few extra ounces wouldn't matter. Boy was I wrong. The only changes I've made to the above recipe are the ratio of meat and the addition of 1 oz of baker's chocolate. I actually did half a pot with and half a pot without the chocolate and noted a "bolder" flavor with that I enjoyed.For the meat, I do 4 lbs of a full chuck roast that I cut myself, 1 lb of chorizo meat and 1 lb of salsiccia meat. I've tweaked those ratios and different kinds of sausages a few times and that is a perfect blend of spice and tastiness without overdoing it. And the chuck roast is >>>> stew meat even if it is pricier. This thing is still outrageous.

Yeah, I know. Mine wasn't meant to be messing with perfection, just a thought that a few extra ounces wouldn't matter. Boy was I wrong. The only changes I've made to the above recipe are the ratio of meat and the addition of 1 oz of baker's chocolate. I actually did half a pot with and half a pot without the chocolate and noted a "bolder" flavor with that I enjoyed.For the meat, I do 4 lbs of a full chuck roast that I cut myself, 1 lb of chorizo meat and 1 lb of salsiccia meat. I've tweaked those ratios and different kinds of sausages a few times and that is a perfect blend of spice and tastiness without overdoing it. And the chuck roast is >>>> stew meat even if it is pricier. This thing is still outrageous.
actually, I took the bakers chocolate suggestion as well and have changed the meat/sausage ratio - so I'm also guilty. Hope it gets cold here in CA so I'll feel like chili again. 80 degrees today.

actually, I took the bakers chocolate suggestion as well and have changed the meat/sausage ratio - so I'm also guilty. Hope it gets cold here in CA so I'll feel like chili again. 80 degrees today.
I've made this recipe 8-10 times now and I think tinkering with the recipe is loads of fun. I certainly don't use the same beer every time, I mix up the variety of chile or used fresh roasted vs dried rehydrated, tried baker's chocolate (like it), beans, no beans (my preference), canned tomatoes vs home roasted, olive oil vs avocado oil vs red palm oil (my favorite so far, gonna try coconut oil next time). Thanks for giving us this recipe Judge. It's a blast.

Thanks so much for this recipe, it rocks. I only made a few changes:

- Substituted Jameson for Jack. I only keep Jameson in the house on hand.

- Didn't use an amber for the beer. I used Bell's Oberon. Yum.

As you read the recipe, some things just don't seem to make sense, but in the end it all works out into a lovely batch of chili. The beer flavor really comes through, but it is perfectly balanced with the meat and the spice.

I would NOT skip the rehydrating of the New Mexico chilis in beer, or would I substitute for them. I think this is where the real flavor comes from.

I did puree the rehydrated chilis in the cold beef stock, so it would be easier to puree. Worked out well.

Next time I make this recipe I am going to add more pork sausage, because what bad could really come of that!?

<!--quoteo(post=12829312:date=Jan 18 2011, 10:36 PM:name=Hastur)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hastur @ Jan 18 2011, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=12829312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll be smoking the meat when I enter the chili into my companies chili cook-off(about 500 employees, 8 entries last year).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Alright, here's how it is set up: There are several entries, each with the 'chefs' name attached to the crock pot. There is also these two people who had 'Skyline' chili from a restaurant in Cinncinati flown in. These two people are standing there thru the day telling people how much better their chili is than everyone elses.The whole thing is a bit shady...
So what happened? Where did you finish? Where did Skyline finish?
They only listed the 'winner', which wasn't me. It was a complete farce. One of the people with chili was the Operations Manager of the company and he was walking around handing out pamphlets saying why his chili should win. There was the Skyline chili too, with the guys standing right there trying to influence peoples decision. My chili('our' chili really) was the only chili without beans, which seemed to upset a lot of people.
Found out the other day non-management are the only participants eligible to win. Since I am in management, I was never in 'the running'. Also, as said earlier, each crock pot had the 'chefs' name on it. It was open voting, meaning everyone got a chance to vote. So, there was an element of a popularity contest to it.This year, I've already told the person who won last year I'm not entering(we've been playfully trash talking for the past year). I'm still a bit bitter about the whole thing. I'm going to start looking around to see if there is a fair, impartial chili cook off in the area. I really believe in this chili. It is amazing.

Prepare the day of 8 qt pot or larger is needed.2 hour prep time. 2 hour cook time.-------------------------------Ingredients:1/3 Cup of Olive Oil1.5 pounds of "chuck roast" – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)3.5 pounds of pork sausage – uncase the sausage before cooking - used 1.25 lb hot and 1.25 lb mild sausage, 1 lb andouille (usually a beef/pork mix)3 large onions chopped - make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down12 cloves of garlic minced5 large Poblano peppers1 regular sized can of tomato paste1 regular sized can of tomato soup2 tsp of cayenne pepper 2 tsp oregano2 tablespoons of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt14.5 oz of beef broth2 bottles of beer - used 1 brown ale (Newcastle) for the peppers and 1 stout (Guinness Draught) for the cook1 shot of Jim Beam Black1 square (1 oz) baker’s chocolate - semi-sweet (used unsweetened and I think it negatively affected the flavor1 can beans - used red kidney beansSour creamShredded cheese for garnishDirections:Rehydrate the peppers in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then mince very very finely, until nearly a green paste. Set aside.In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, and the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of beer, Jim Beam, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1.5 hours. Add beans, and cook for additional 0.5 hour until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering) Add a little bit of sour cream and cheese. Serve.
Making this tonight. I really look forward to making my chili on fall football Saturdays :football: .Found some andouille from a local smokehouse at the farmer's market recently, so I'm giving that a go today (1 lb along with ~2.5 lbs of hot/mild pork sausage). Smells a lot more flavorful than the andouille I've used in the past (Johnsonville), though I did use some from Olson's (Bakes>hey) in the past and it worked well. We'll see how it turns out.Using Ellicottville Nut Brown (local!) for the peppers and Victory Storm King stout for the cook. I don't have any Jim Beam black anymore, so I'm going to say #### it and use some Eagle Rare for the cook. I hope it enhances the flavor, otherwise I'll be pissed that I used "good" sipping bourbon for this.

Premade a batch for dads/kids annual camping trip this past weekend. Let it sit in a pot over the fire for an hour to warm and thicken back up. Big hit.

Gonna have to make this soon... Getting to be that time of year
:goodposting: I recall reading that some people were replacing the stew meat with with another cut. I've always been fine with the stew meat (and a split closer to 3 lb ground/3 lb chopped) but I'd be willing to tinker with it a bit. Looked back through the last couple pages of the thread and didn't see anything. Any ideas?

:goodposting: I recall reading that some people were replacing the stew meat with with another cut. I've always been fine with the stew meat (and a split closer to 3 lb ground/3 lb chopped) but I'd be willing to tinker with it a bit. Looked back through the last couple pages of the thread and didn't see anything. Any ideas?
I use this. Never used anything but that, not planning on switching any time soon. HTH.

Without reading through the whole thread can someone answer a few questions for me please?

How many will the original recipe serve?

What beer can I use instead of Fat Tire? Options are pretty limited around here.

TIA.

I use this. Never used anything but that, not planning on switching any time soon. HTH.
Thanks. I'm gonna give this a try.

Without reading through the whole thread can someone answer a few questions for me please?How many will the original recipe serve?What beer can I use instead of Fat Tire? Options are pretty limited around here.TIA.
I've always used Newport Storm. I have no idea if you can get that where you are though (in fact I doubt it).I've also used Michelob Amber Boch

Without reading through the whole thread can someone answer a few questions for me please?How many will the original recipe serve?What beer can I use instead of Fat Tire? Options are pretty limited around here.TIA.
I'd say 12, depending on who's eating. I used Yuengling in the batch I made for last night. It came out well.

Made this for the first time last weekend. Was very pleased with how it came out. It was very easy, took a while, but it wasn't difficult. I did two 24 oz cans of diced tomatoes instead of the soup and tomato paste. I didn't have whole tomatoes, but the worked fine. My wife and I did leftovers on top over spaghetti, nice!

Will definitely make this again!!

I made a Chili Verde with Pork and Tomatillos this week which came out really well.
Huge fan of chili verde and anything with tomatillos. Please post recipe. Either this thread or Tipsey's FBG recipe thread. TIA
Here is what I did. It is about 80% borrowed from online on the foodnetwork.6 Jalapino peppers halfed and stemmed3 Anaheims peppers halfed and stemmed8 galic cloves smashed5 Red Onions chopped up2 lb Tomatillos, remove outside and halfCanola oil to brown porkOlive Oil for veggies5-6 lbs of pork cut into 1 inch cubes (I used pork loin, shoulder is more common)6 cups chicken stock/broth2 cups fresh chopped cilantro leafs1/4 cup sugarSalt and Pepper to tasteToss the onions, peppers, tomatillos, galic together with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Spread out on a couple cookie sheets and put in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes to roast. Stir midway. Take out when they start to brown a bit.While roasting the other stuff, brown the pork in a frying pan with medium-high heat and canola oil. You need to do it about 1 pound at a time. Just cook it long enough to brown the outside. After you cook each batch throw in a big soup pot with the chicken broth and start to heat that up on a medium heat.After roasting add the veggies to the meat/broth and let cook for about 1-1/2 hours.Puree the chopped Cilantro in a processor/blender with a couple tablespoons of water. Add cilantro puree, sugar, salt, and pepper. It makes about enough to fill a large crock pot.
I am going to make this again. Chilli with a significant twist. Got a lot of great comments on it.

Making this for the first time. Used pureed tomatoes instead of the paste/soup. Doubled the bourbon. Maybe one extra clove of garlic. Also 1 oz semi-sweet baker's chocolate. Otherwise, followed the OP recipe exactly. It's simmering now and it's already killing me to not eat it. Will report back!

Making this for the first time. Used pureed tomatoes instead of the paste/soup. Doubled the bourbon. Maybe one extra clove of garlic. Also 1 oz semi-sweet baker's chocolate. Otherwise, followed the OP recipe exactly. It's simmering now and it's already killing me to not eat it. Will report back!
Nice timing. Was just getting ready to bump this as I have mine simmering now as well.

Nice timing. Was just getting ready to bump this as I have mine simmering now as well.
Excellent! I also compromise on the beans. I didn't want any but the girlfriend wanted some, so we halved it. Didn't want two batches.

Ridiculous. Huge hit. Only thing I would do differently is maybe add some more heat. Otherwise, awesome flavor.

Ridiculous. Huge hit. Only thing I would do differently is maybe add some more heat. Otherwise, awesome flavor.
I do add more heat. About 3 tsp of cayenne pepper.Also, so much better on the 2nd day.
One thing with the heat is, depending on the audience, you want to be more on the mild side, and then provide different heat level sauces so that people can adjust their bowl to their own desired heat level. :2cents:

I do add more heat. About 3 tsp of cayenne pepper.Also, so much better on the 2nd day.
One thing with the heat is, depending on the audience, you want to be more on the mild side, and then provide different heat level sauces so that people can adjust their bowl to their own desired heat level. :2cents:
This is not a quick easy cook. I'm putting in all that work, I'm making that thing as hot as I like it.

'VA703 said:
how many people can this recipe feed? trying to get an idea for a upcoming party
Assuming 2 bowls for each person, I would guess at least 12 people. Just a guess though.

Coldest day in memory in So Cal today made me think that chili will be awesome for semi-final Sunday. Bought all of the ingredients to make a big batch tomorrow. Will let it sit overnight before heating up for the afternoon games. Much better on day 2. Original recipe with a pound less stew meat and a pound more sausage. Maybe bakers chocolate. Will add extra cayenne to mine and have some killer cornbread to go with it. Can't wait. Funny - some FBG's make this way more often than I do. Cold weather brings out the chili jones.

'Judge Smails said:
Coldest day in memory in So Cal today made me think that chili will be awesome for semi-final Sunday. Bought all of the ingredients to make a big batch tomorrow. Will let it sit overnight before heating up for the afternoon games. Much better on day 2. Original recipe with a pound less stew meat and a pound more sausage. Maybe bakers chocolate. Will add extra cayenne to mine and have some killer cornbread to go with it. Can't wait. Funny - some FBG's make this way more often than I do. Cold weather brings out the chili jones.
Just made this last weekend! Thanks again for the recipe!A dash of this puts it over the top.

'Judge Smails said:
Just made this last weekend! Thanks again for the recipe!A dash of this puts it over the top.
Will have to get some of that. Man, forgot how freakin good this stuff smells when cooking. House permeating with serious chili goodness. Have some Costco 1/4 pound hot dogs. Thinking of firing up the grill and then stealing some of that chili sauce :football:

Need to get this going soon. Not looking forward to all the prep, but needs to get done.

Tweaks to my already tweaked out version of this:

Going to use a Smoked Porter for the beer.

Picked up a couple local sausages. One is the most amazing sausage I've ever had. They just call it "Bourbon Sausage". I swear there is magic in it though. Super rich and tasty. I'm actually a little worried it is too flavorful to be a component in anything. Going with a pound of that and a pound of Jalapeño Chipotle Sausage from the same butcher. Never had it before, but sounds like a fit to me.

Along with those 2lbs of sausage I've got 3lbs of stew meat.

Couple of notes...

I could not find dried chilis this month when I made it. Stop and Shop stopped carrying them.

I substituted with 5 (yes 5) tablespoons of Chili Powder, and honestly, I feel it was even better than using the chilis flavor wise. Was my best batch yet.

The Jack Daniels is essential to the recipe. It's so little, one would think you couldn't notice it, but I can pick up on it and it makes the dish for me.

My favorite beer to use is Newport Storm Amber Ale - likely only available in New England, but it's the best, by far for this recipe.

Last note....this chili is wonderful, but REALLY does a number on the digestive system with all of the beer and spices. I don't poop solid for days after eating this. Well worth the stomach cramps though IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of notes...I could not find dried chilis this month when I made it. Stop and Shop stopped carrying them.I substituted with 5 (yes 5) tablespoons of Chili Powder, and honestly, I feel it was even better than using the chilis flavor wise. Was my best batch yet.The Jack Daniels is essential to the recipe. It's so little, one would think you couldn't notice it, but I can pick up on it and it makes the dish for me.My favorite beer to use is Newport Storm Amber Ale - likely only available in New England, but it's the best, by far for this recipe.Last note....this chili is wonderful, but REALLY does a number on the digestive system with all of the beer and spices. I don't poop solid for days after eating this. Well worth the stomach cramps though IMO
mix in a salad

Stupid question...I am making some for NYE tomorrow. I have made two batches today, since I needed to double it, I figured I would make one batch with beans and one without. I normally make it without beans. Should I add the beans today after it gets close to the right consistency, or should I add them tomorrow when I start to warm it up.

I am going to cook it a bit longer tomorrow, since I have some leftover Prime Rib from Xmas to add, and my assistant cook (Mom the Home Ec teacher) suggested I add it tomorrow to prevent it from getting tough.

Any thoughts?

TIA!

Stupid question...I am making some for NYE tomorrow. I have made two batches today, since I needed to double it, I figured I would make one batch with beans and one without. I normally make it without beans. Should I add the beans today after it gets close to the right consistency, or should I add them tomorrow when I start to warm it up.I am going to cook it a bit longer tomorrow, since I have some leftover Prime Rib from Xmas to add, and my assistant cook (Mom the Home Ec teacher) suggested I add it tomorrow to prevent it from getting tough.Any thoughts?TIA!
My thoughts---Leave the beans out completely.

Stupid question...I am making some for NYE tomorrow. I have made two batches today, since I needed to double it, I figured I would make one batch with beans and one without. I normally make it without beans. Should I add the beans today after it gets close to the right consistency, or should I add them tomorrow when I start to warm it up.I am going to cook it a bit longer tomorrow, since I have some leftover Prime Rib from Xmas to add, and my assistant cook (Mom the Home Ec teacher) suggested I add it tomorrow to prevent it from getting tough.Any thoughts?TIA!
My thoughts---Leave the beans out completely.
I hear you, but I am trying to be a nice host, covering tastes of all of my guests...or some BS like that!The HomeEc teacher suggested leaving them out until tomorrow, with the intention of keeping them from getting mushy. Sounded good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread