What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (3 Viewers)

Here's the recipe I use, (my variations included) but it comes from Gourmet Magazine:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat

1 1/2 pounds onions, coarsely chopped

2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped

3 large garlic cloves, minced or crushed through a press

2.5 pounds cubed stew beef

2 pounds pork cubed, make sure it is somewhat fatty

1-2 pounds game meat (usually venison, cubed)

3/4 cup chili powder, preferably a mix of half ancho and half pasilla, but any will do

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

2 to 3 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled

2 teaspoons fennel seeds (optional)

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

3 bay leaves

1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained and roughly chopped

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

3 bottles (12 ounces each) dark or medium beer, such as Mexican Dos Equis, Heineken, or Beck's

Beans:

6 slices hickory-smoked bacon, finely chopped

1 smoked chicken neck

1 pound dried small pink beans, soaked and still in their soaking liquid

1 large garlic clove, minced or crushed through a press

2 teaspoons salt

Spoon the oil into a large, heavy casserole or Dutch oven set over moderate heat. Add the onions and peppers and saute until softened and lightly colored, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Reserve.

Season meat with salt and pepper, feel free to dredge in flour if you want, but I don't think it is crucial. Brown all meat in cast iron pan, usually in batches, adding oil sparingly as needed. Keep heat relatively high. Add meat to pot with onions, garlic, and pepper and stir in 1/2 cup of the chili powder, 2 tablespoons of the cocoa, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 1 tablespoon of the cumin, 1 tablespoon of the oregano, fennel seeds, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the tomato sauce, 2 bottles of the beer and 4 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours. Stir gently every 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the beans. Put the bacon in a large, heavy saucepan set over moderate heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and deep golden brown. Drain the beans (no matter which soaking technique you have used) and measure the liquid. Add water to make 6 cups. Add the beans and liquid to the bacon in the pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add the garlic and salt, partially cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour longer. Remove from the heat and set aside. When the chili has cooked for 3 hours, stir in the remaining 1/4 cup chili powder, 1 tablespoon cocoa, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon oregano. Taste for balance of acidity to sweetness and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, if needed. Add the beans and their cooking liquid. Set the chili aside to cool to room temperature. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees. Stir the remaining 1 bottle of beer into the chili. Bake, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring once in a while. Serve hot.

I have also added pickled jalapenos at times as well as chipotles in adobo sauce. The former adds zing, the latter adds serious spiciness.

Here's the recipe I use, (my variations included) but it comes from Gourmet Magazine:2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat 1 1/2 pounds onions, coarsely chopped 2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped3 large garlic cloves, minced or crushed through a press 2.5 pounds cubed stew beef 2 pounds pork cubed, make sure it is somewhat fatty1-2 pounds game meat (usually venison, cubed)3/4 cup chili powder, preferably a mix of half ancho and half pasilla, but any will do 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (optional) 2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) 3 bay leaves 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained and roughly chopped 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce 3 bottles (12 ounces each) dark or medium beer, such as Mexican Dos Equis, Heineken, or Beck's Beans: 6 slices hickory-smoked bacon, finely chopped 1 smoked chicken neck1 pound dried small pink beans, soaked and still in their soaking liquid 1 large garlic clove, minced or crushed through a press 2 teaspoons saltSpoon the oil into a large, heavy casserole or Dutch oven set over moderate heat. Add the onions and peppers and saute until softened and lightly colored, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Reserve. Season meat with salt and pepper, feel free to dredge in flour if you want, but I don't think it is crucial. Brown all meat in cast iron pan, usually in batches, adding oil sparingly as needed. Keep heat relatively high. Add meat to pot with onions, garlic, and pepper and stir in 1/2 cup of the chili powder, 2 tablespoons of the cocoa, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 1 tablespoon of the cumin, 1 tablespoon of the oregano, fennel seeds, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the tomato sauce, 2 bottles of the beer and 4 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours. Stir gently every 30 minutes.Meanwhile, prepare the beans. Put the bacon in a large, heavy saucepan set over moderate heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and deep golden brown. Drain the beans (no matter which soaking technique you have used) and measure the liquid. Add water to make 6 cups. Add the beans and liquid to the bacon in the pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add the garlic and salt, partially cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour longer. Remove from the heat and set aside. When the chili has cooked for 3 hours, stir in the remaining 1/4 cup chili powder, 1 tablespoon cocoa, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon oregano. Taste for balance of acidity to sweetness and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, if needed. Add the beans and their cooking liquid. Set the chili aside to cool to room temperature. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees. Stir the remaining 1 bottle of beer into the chili. Bake, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring once in a while. Serve hot.I have also added pickled jalapenos at times as well as chipotles in adobo sauce. The former adds zing, the latter adds serious spiciness.
Hi PH,I'm sure this is really good. But tell us it came from one of your poker playing buddies or something. Even if you have to lie to us... :goodposting:J

Sounds good.What is the spiciness factor of this?The wife is not huge on spicy...neither is the 3 year old.And damn that is alot of meat...there are only 3 of us so I may have to fraction it up a bit.Im currently perfecting my own White Chicken Chilli. The first effort was tasty...but still needs some work.
My middle daughter can't handle the heat factor and she loved it. Can add cayenne separately, or other heat inducing condiments, for those that like it spicy. This is not make you sweat, clear your nostrils chili. You can make it that way though..
Yeah...thats why I always have a bottle of Tabasco Habenero sauce around.

That's it. I am going to the store!

ETA: since someone is using the OP's recipe i am going to try the other one. I just re-changed my mind to try the OP's first.

Also, Smails, what size can of tomato soup do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it. I am going to the store!ETA: since someone is using the OP's recipe i am going to try the other one. I just re-changed my mind to try the OP's first. Also, Smails, what size can of tomato soup do you use?
I used the normal sized can.

Looks good judge. That's pretty close to what I use. What kind of difference do you think you get rehydrating the dried chiles? I use fresh chiles and roast them. I'll use the dried chiles to grind and make home made chile powder. Never thought of trying to reverse the process and rehydrate dried chiles.

Another key is using chunks of beef like the stew meat. Nothing ruins chili faster than ground beef. I also like to add some baker's chocolate.

It's about that time of year.

J
What's the theory here? Just curious b/c I might try the stew meat in my next batch.

Here's the recipe I use, (my variations included) but it comes from Gourmet Magazine:2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat 1 1/2 pounds onions, coarsely chopped 2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped3 large garlic cloves, minced or crushed through a press 2.5 pounds cubed stew beef 2 pounds pork cubed, make sure it is somewhat fatty1-2 pounds game meat (usually venison, cubed)3/4 cup chili powder, preferably a mix of half ancho and half pasilla, but any will do 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (optional) 2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) 3 bay leaves 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained and roughly chopped 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce 3 bottles (12 ounces each) dark or medium beer, such as Mexican Dos Equis, Heineken, or Beck's Beans: 6 slices hickory-smoked bacon, finely chopped 1 smoked chicken neck1 pound dried small pink beans, soaked and still in their soaking liquid 1 large garlic clove, minced or crushed through a press 2 teaspoons saltSpoon the oil into a large, heavy casserole or Dutch oven set over moderate heat. Add the onions and peppers and saute until softened and lightly colored, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Reserve. Season meat with salt and pepper, feel free to dredge in flour if you want, but I don't think it is crucial. Brown all meat in cast iron pan, usually in batches, adding oil sparingly as needed. Keep heat relatively high. Add meat to pot with onions, garlic, and pepper and stir in 1/2 cup of the chili powder, 2 tablespoons of the cocoa, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 1 tablespoon of the cumin, 1 tablespoon of the oregano, fennel seeds, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the tomato sauce, 2 bottles of the beer and 4 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours. Stir gently every 30 minutes.Meanwhile, prepare the beans. Put the bacon in a large, heavy saucepan set over moderate heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and deep golden brown. Drain the beans (no matter which soaking technique you have used) and measure the liquid. Add water to make 6 cups. Add the beans and liquid to the bacon in the pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add the garlic and salt, partially cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour longer. Remove from the heat and set aside. When the chili has cooked for 3 hours, stir in the remaining 1/4 cup chili powder, 1 tablespoon cocoa, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon oregano. Taste for balance of acidity to sweetness and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, if needed. Add the beans and their cooking liquid. Set the chili aside to cool to room temperature. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees. Stir the remaining 1 bottle of beer into the chili. Bake, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring once in a while. Serve hot.I have also added pickled jalapenos at times as well as chipotles in adobo sauce. The former adds zing, the latter adds serious spiciness.
Hi PH,I'm sure this is really good. But tell us it came from one of your poker playing buddies or something. Even if you have to lie to us... ;)J
:mellow:

That's it. I am going to the store!ETA: since someone is using the OP's recipe i am going to try the other one. I just re-changed my mind to try the OP's first. Also, Smails, what size can of tomato soup do you use?
That's what I bought too. What kind of pork sausage did you use?
I used the bulk pork sausage available from the meat counter. Just broke it up into smaller chunks as I threw it in the pot. This stuff is MONEY. I now have a lot of leftover chili that I will be eating for the next week. Glorious.

Yep. I've had 2 questions on the recipe. For cumin, it is tablespoons, not teaspoons. And regular cans of tomato soup and tomato paste.

Glad to hear that it was a hit!

That's what I bought too. What kind of pork sausage did you use?
I used the bulk pork sausage available from the meat counter. Just broke it up into smaller chunks as I threw it in the pot. This stuff is MONEY. I now have a lot of leftover chili that I will be eating for the next week. Glorious.
I agree. This stuff rocked. I have so much of this stuff left too. And drinking the leftover Fat Tires is nice too....(which went rather quickly and are now Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest)

I made this last night as well, a big :shrug: to the OP.

I could only find some really cheap, fatty sausage meat so that could have been improved. I would be tempted to use some good ground pork if I make it again.

I also used Newcastle Brown Ale as the beer and Brandy instead of Bourbon (about 1/3 of a cup) as I had them both in already.

I really enjoyed it, as my staple chilli recipe is more tomato and red wine based. The cumin really added to the falvour.

Hi PH,I'm sure this is really good. But tell us it came from one of your poker playing buddies or something. Even if you have to lie to us... :lmao:J
Well, truth be told I got it from the Food Network website and they credited it to Gourmet Magazine so that's what I did. But either way, I got :confused: . :blackdot:

Holy ####. I am in some serious pain right now. I tried this recipe this weekend. I didnt have the peppers it called for so I used dried jalapeno's instead. I love spicy food, so figured why not. I let it cook about 5-6 hours on Saturday and only tasted a little bite before putting it in the fridge. I knew it was HOT, but had no idea it was this bad. It tasted so good that I decided to just eat it fast and try to get it down before the pain set in. I finished the whole bowl. I have now drenched 3 napkins wiping the sweat from my face and forehead and its showing no signs of slowing down. I am starting to feel a strange heat burning deep inside my belly. I fear for my balloon knot tomorrow. :shrug:

Dickey Moe's Wife's Recipe for "Fart Soup"

I can think of about 50 "secrets" to making good chili. For me, it's all about variance in meat and spices, stealing other people's ideas, and time.

Here's what I made last winter and I've been thinking about taking out the last baggy of it from the freezer for frito boats sometime soon.

I started with a 4 pound pork loin and 1 pound of freshly-made chorizo (by Dan the Butcher or whatever he's called at Farmer's market)

Necessary items that had to be purchased from the store:

-onion

-2 types of chili powder (California and Pasilla)

-red pepper flakes

-cilantro

-beef stock

-bourbon

-Negra Modelo

-1/2 lb. of ground sirloin

-San Marzano tomatoes (28 oz can)

The first thing you do is open a beer and start drinking.

Next, cut the onion up, roughly (it's all gonna melt anyway, so why bother with small dice?) and smash a couple of cloves of garlic. Sliced a few slits into a couple (4 in my case) jalapenos and put all aside in the same bowl, off to the side.

Then, halve the pork loin and cut it into anywhere from 1/2" - 1" cubes and set it aside, putting the other half in the freezer for later use. Then chop 2 bunches of cilantro and set that aside. Then salt and pepper the pork meat.

Take your largest pot and put some oil in the bottom, heating it scary-hot (I'm not trying to set off the smoke alarm, but hot = searing, and searing = caramelization, and caramelization = tasty tasty flavor), and go about the business of searing the pork loin meat (in batches, of course).

Once the meat is seared (and removed to a separate bowl) I add a bit more oil to the pan, and throw in the onions/garlic/jalapeno mixture and coat it with the now-yummy flavored oil. I then add the chorizo and ground beef and let that cook while I drink another beer and get my spices ready in one bowl.

All amounts are approximate.

1/2 c. dark brown sugar

1/4 c. california chile powder

1/8 c. pasilla chile powder

1 T. chipotle chile powder

1/8 c. unsweetened natural baking cocoa

1/4 c. cumin

2 T. oregano

2 T. basil

3 bay leaves

1 T. paprika

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

2 hot dried thai chiles

1/8 c. honey

1 T. garlic salt

Kosher salt and black pepper to taste

At this time, I also took 1/2 cup brewed coffee and 1/2 cup bourbon and set that aside.

Once the meat and onions were nice and good, I added the coffee/bourbon mixture to deglaze the pan (that means -- scrape the bottom of that pan like crazy with your wooden spoon or whatever apparatus you're using to stir). Then I add 1 bottle of Negra Modelo, the spice mixture, the large can of tomatoes, 1 container of beef stock (box, not can, which is 4 cups total), the meat and 2 drained and rinsed cans of kidney beans, and 1 can of drained/rinsed white beans.

I brought it to the boil and threw in about 1/4 cup of cornmeal (to thicken) and reduced the heat to let it simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or so. All the while I was tasting to make sure the seasonings were good (I added more of this or that, can't remember though, so you're on your own there).

The chili is left on the stove (heat turned off) all night, and is ready to be heated up again for Frito boats and the like the following day.

That way you get "next day" chili. It's awesome, and about time to make it again. :rolleyes:

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Can someone explain why the pork sausage? Whats the difference between pork sausage vs ground beef?New Mexico Chilies (pods), can these be found in the same section as peppers. Like habenero peppers? If I can't find them, is there a substitute?Thanks

Here is the chile recipe I use. I like to kick it up a little and add 4-8 habenero peppers.

I also like the consistency of the stew meat, so I use 1lb instead of the 3/4 lb.

I use starbucks coffee and guiness beer.

Back to the same question I just asked in my last post, does anyone think this recipe would be good to substitute the pork sausage for the ground beef? I have never had chile made pork sausage so I don't know anything about it but in this thread earlier, everyone who seemed to be some sort of chile recipe guru seem to prefer it.

I found this at allrecipes.com

"Thick and spicy chili. Coffee and beer give this

chili a unique and dynamite flavor. Garnish with

shredded cheese and diced chile peppers." Original

recipe yield: 8 servings.

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 onions, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound ground beef

3/4 pound beef sirloin, cubed

1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with

juice

1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer

1 cup strong brewed coffee

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste

1 (14 ounce) can beef broth

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin seeds

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon salt

4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans

4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook

onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil

for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and

the onions are tender.

Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer,

coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown

sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano,

cayenne pepper, coriander and salt. Stir in 2 cans of

the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low,

and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for

another 30 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried the OP's recipe this past weekend.

Went over well with the family as well.

Few things though.

First...open a window and light some candles if you don't like the smell of onions and garlic going...the wife does not and complained about the house smelling after the first few steps of cooking.

Id cut the beer down a bit...maybe a beer to a beer and a half in the chili. IMO...too much flavor from the beer and less of a chili flavor and it turned out thinner than I prefer.

The spice was good for her...but mine was damn fine when I added a few dashes of Tabasco Habenero to my bowl.

Overall...solid recipe. The stew meat was definitely far superior to using any ground beef.

Next time I will also go for a spicier/more flavorful pork sausage.

Tried the OP's recipe this past weekend.Went over well with the family as well.Few things though.First...open a window and light some candles if you don't like the smell of onions and garlic going...the wife does not and complained about the house smelling after the first few steps of cooking.Id cut the beer down a bit...maybe a beer to a beer and a half in the chili. IMO...too much flavor from the beer and less of a chili flavor and it turned out thinner than I prefer.The spice was good for her...but mine was damn fine when I added a few dashes of Tabasco Habenero to my bowl.Overall...solid recipe. The stew meat was definitely far superior to using any ground beef.Next time I will also go for a spicier/more flavorful pork sausage.
Tri Tip is even better than stew meat.I wonder what bbq'ing a fatty for the sausage and then breaking it into chunks woudl do...

Few things though.

First...open a window and light some candles if you don't like the smell of onions and garlic going...the wife does not and complained about the house smelling after the first few steps of cooking.

Id cut the beer down a bit...maybe a beer to a beer and a half in the chili. IMO...too much flavor from the beer and less of a chili flavor and it turned out thinner than I prefer.

The spice was good for her...but mine was damn fine when I added a few dashes of Tabasco Habenero to my bowl.

Overall...solid recipe. The stew meat was definitely far superior to using any ground beef.

Hmm. It thickened up for me considerably, even more so as the leftovers sat in my fridge and were eventually eaten.

Tri Tip is even better than stew meat.

I wonder what bbq'ing a fatty for the sausage and then breaking it into chunks woudl do...
:thumbup: I rub the Tri Tip with some garlic and chili powder then grill it on high heat to about rare/medium rare. I let it sit for a while then cut it into small cubes and dump it in the chili some time during the simmer.

I made this chili yesterday and it was wonderful, and it got rave reviews from my friends. Plus I had 3 freezer bags of leftovers to enjoy on other cool evenings.

Thanks

Can someone explain why the pork sausage? Whats the difference between pork sausage vs ground beef?New Mexico Chilies (pods), can these be found in the same section as peppers. Like habenero peppers? If I can't find them, is there a substitute?Thanks
Hi fs,The pork sausage just has a different taste. And it's probably fattier. (which is good in chile... ;) )For the chile pods, they may be wherever the mexican food section of your grocery is. Not in the vegetable / fresh produce section. They are the dried up shriveled looking red chiles. It does work pretty well boiling them in beer to rehydrate them. If you can't find them, I often will use fresh chiles that are in the produce section. And roast them under the broiler in the oven or on the grill. Let them get blackened and then run them under cool water and the skin will peel off. Chop up and throw in the chili.J

Few things though.

Hmm. It thickened up for me considerably, even more so as the leftovers sat in my fridge and were eventually eaten.
The leftovers definitely thickened up...but that night...not so much.Still damn tasty.

Im between making it or my own chicken chili (version 2) for the in-laws over thanksgiving.

Dickey Moe's Wife's Recipe for "Fart Soup"

I can think of about 50 "secrets" to making good chili. For me, it's all about variance in meat and spices, stealing other people's ideas, and time.

Here's what I made last winter and I've been thinking about taking out the last baggy of it from the freezer for frito boats sometime soon.

I started with a 4 pound pork loin and 1 pound of freshly-made chorizo (by Dan the Butcher or whatever he's called at Farmer's market)

Necessary items that had to be purchased from the store:

-onion

-2 types of chili powder (California and Pasilla)

-red pepper flakes

-cilantro

-beef stock

-bourbon

-Negra Modelo

-1/2 lb. of ground sirloin

-San Marzano tomatoes (28 oz can)

The first thing you do is open a beer and start drinking.

Next, cut the onion up, roughly (it's all gonna melt anyway, so why bother with small dice?) and smash a couple of cloves of garlic. Sliced a few slits into a couple (4 in my case) jalapenos and put all aside in the same bowl, off to the side.

Then, halve the pork loin and cut it into anywhere from 1/2" - 1" cubes and set it aside, putting the other half in the freezer for later use. Then chop 2 bunches of cilantro and set that aside. Then salt and pepper the pork meat.

Take your largest pot and put some oil in the bottom, heating it scary-hot (I'm not trying to set off the smoke alarm, but hot = searing, and searing = caramelization, and caramelization = tasty tasty flavor), and go about the business of searing the pork loin meat (in batches, of course).

Once the meat is seared (and removed to a separate bowl) I add a bit more oil to the pan, and throw in the onions/garlic/jalapeno mixture and coat it with the now-yummy flavored oil. I then add the chorizo and ground beef and let that cook while I drink another beer and get my spices ready in one bowl.

All amounts are approximate.

1/2 c. dark brown sugar

1/4 c. california chile powder

1/8 c. pasilla chile powder

1 T. chipotle chile powder

1/8 c. unsweetened natural baking cocoa

1/4 c. cumin

2 T. oregano

2 T. basil

3 bay leaves

1 T. paprika

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

2 hot dried thai chiles

1/8 c. honey

1 T. garlic salt

Kosher salt and black pepper to taste

At this time, I also took 1/2 cup brewed coffee and 1/2 cup bourbon and set that aside.

Once the meat and onions were nice and good, I added the coffee/bourbon mixture to deglaze the pan (that means -- scrape the bottom of that pan like crazy with your wooden spoon or whatever apparatus you're using to stir). Then I add 1 bottle of Negra Modelo, the spice mixture, the large can of tomatoes, 1 container of beef stock (box, not can, which is 4 cups total), the meat and 2 drained and rinsed cans of kidney beans, and 1 can of drained/rinsed white beans.

I brought it to the boil and threw in about 1/4 cup of cornmeal (to thicken) and reduced the heat to let it simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or so. All the while I was tasting to make sure the seasonings were good (I added more of this or that, can't remember though, so you're on your own there).

The chili is left on the stove (heat turned off) all night, and is ready to be heated up again for Frito boats and the like the following day.

That way you get "next day" chili. It's awesome, and about time to make it again. :)
When do you open the 2nd beer? Or are you just supposed to nurse one beer through the whole process? That seems a little sissy to me.

so far so good. Had to go with a few alternatives but i think it will be ok. Jim Beam instead of Jack. A nut brown ale instead of amber. Only amber at the beer store was Abita, and it's not really an amber. And I couldn't find any New Mexico chilies (or any dried chilies) so I went with 4 cherry chilies and 1 each of jalapeño and serrano. Whole herd of people coming over tomorrow. Hope there's enough to go around. Thinking about spreading it out a bit by bumping the beans up a little.

I found the dried chiles in the produce section of the local supermarket. Another person mentioned trying the Mexican section of the store, if you have one.

I found the dried chiles in the produce section of the local supermarket. Another person mentioned trying the Mexican section of the store, if you have one.
Yeah, I tried both sections in two different supermarket chains. The second one, the one I was sure would have some, I asked the produce manager and he said they didn't have any and getting them was hit or miss. He suggested the cherry chilies. Figuring those were sort of mild i threw in the jalapeno and serrano.

:bump:

Trying this out for SuperBowl Sunday.....

Just wondering if I should make it that day, or ahead of time and freeze it. Will it lose anything by making it now and freezing it for a couple of weeks??

Should be able to just throw it in a crockpot to reheat it....right??

:bump:Trying this out for SuperBowl Sunday.....Just wondering if I should make it that day, or ahead of time and freeze it. Will it lose anything by making it now and freezing it for a couple of weeks??Should be able to just throw it in a crockpot to reheat it....right??
I made a batch of this chili about a month ago and find it just fine out of the freezer...the stew meat actually falls apart perfectly the longer it sits. I would recommend pouring a fresh bottle of beer in prior to the reheating process though- especially if you're going to simmer it for a while in the crockpot.

:bump:Trying this out for SuperBowl Sunday.....Just wondering if I should make it that day, or ahead of time and freeze it. Will it lose anything by making it now and freezing it for a couple of weeks??Should be able to just throw it in a crockpot to reheat it....right??
I would make it on Saturday - flavors will be perfectly melded come kickoff time. Always better day 2.

Had this again this past weekend (and last night for dinner and today for lunch).

Cut the recipe down a bit as I did not want too much leftover from the first night...still froze some.

Took the shortcut using the chili powder this time.

Actually liked the flavor this way better than rehydrating the chili pods.

Cut the beer down a bit (and drank more of instead) as well.

Also used some of Penzey's ancho chili powder as well as the regular grocery store chili powder...and kicked it up a bit in my bowl with Penzeys ground Chipotle.

(finally hit a Penzeys while visiting my family in Wisconsin as the closest one to here is in Memphis)

Very darn tasty and my mouth is on fire and I have a nice sweat going. Good times.

I decided to try this recipe yesterday, and I must say it was really good. I used chili powder instead of the dried chiles, and I used crushed tomatoes instead of the soup and tomato paste. Otherwise I went by the book. At first I thought the shot of whiskey was just just a goofy ingredient thrown in there for the sake of novelty, but it actually added an interesting dimension to the final product. The sausage was also a cool addition. This will definitely be replacing my old chili recipe from here on out.

:goodposting:

The whiskey is key -- adds a certain richness to the chili. I think when my wife makes it she uses more than a shot, though.
I used a half cup of whiskey to my recent recipe and that had 4 pounds of meat. I also used a 1/4 cup of honey instead of brown sugar. As for chocolate, I only used an ounce or 2 for about 4 lbs of meat.
Sound about right for chocolate addition. I might try the honey instead of the brown sugar next time.
I've often used molasses instead of either. Both work great.

I competed in my first chili-cookoff a few months ago, had to make 5 gallons for the competition, figuring out what proportions was the hardest thing, after 4 trial batches I finally got it down, about an oz. of dark chocolate/gallon, 4-5lbs of meat/gallon, I ended up getting all the reject tomatoes from a farmers market to use and that made a huge difference, also I learned at the competition to put a little cinnamon in it, can't taste it but it does add a dimension to the flavor. Another thing I thought made a big difference was making my own beef stock. We swore we would never eat another bowl of chili the rest of our lives after 4 trial batches, we were giving chili away to anyone who would eat it! But this thread has made me want some.

Users who are viewing this thread