What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (2 Viewers)

Fell asleep bout halfway through. This might be where I give up. I dunno. It's getting trashed online. The original creator took a giant steaming dump on it.

But I got nothing else going on so I'll try again tonignt.

Fell asleep bout halfway through. This might be where I give up. I dunno. It's getting trashed online. The original creator took a giant steaming dump on it.

But I got nothing else going on so I'll try again tonignt.

This episode didn't hit the high mark of the first two but there are some cool moments that the white walker haters may not appreciate.

Also, S4 has the best theme song imo. Season 3's was a really good song, just not haunting enough for this series imo.

Great song for the season. It actually made me check some of Billy Eilish's catalog. Worthy of the hype. I just assumed she was some Taylor Swift/Ariana Grande

Lol, yeah her stuff is.....dark. brooding. Pop it's not.

Yeah, I was getting Portishead and Bjork vibes so I'll cut the young lass some slack. Cool to see that 90s trip hop in modern day pop music.

The True Detective song does sound like The Doors 'People Are Strange" though.

Last edited:
Also, S4 has the best theme song imo. Season 3's was a really good song, just not haunting enough for this series imo.

Great song for the season. It actually made me check some of Billy Eilish's catalog. Worthy of the hype. I just assumed she was some Taylor Swift/Ariana Grande

Lol, yeah her stuff is.....dark. brooding. Pop it's not.

Yeah, I was getting Portishead and Bjork vibes so I'll cut the young lass some slack. Cool to see that 90s trip hop in modern day pop music

That's a pretty good synopsis. I don't listen to her a lot, but she's definitely deep and different.

Funny how rotten tomatoes critics have a 93% approval rating but audience rating is in the 60% range. I agree with audience rating.

What the hell was that hospital part about? Come on now. This is beyond stupid.

So either the killer is some kind of supernatural force, the scientists unearthed some deadly microorganism making everyone go nuts, or Eve is going insane like her sister. All 3 of these would be beyond stupid but nothing else makes sense. Not sure why they called this True Detective at all.

So either the killer is some kind of supernatural force, the scientists unearthed some deadly microorganism making everyone go nuts, or Eve is going insane like her sister. All 3 of these would be beyond stupid but nothing else makes sense.
The second one would be cool to me but not sure how that would relate to the ending of the last episode.

. The original creator took a giant steaming dump on it.
Oh yea? What did he say?

I don’t find this season very compelling. I’m trying.
Kinda get what he’s saying but season 2 was pure crap and 3 was just ok.

Funny how rotten tomatoes critics have a 93% approval rating but audience rating is in the 60% range. I agree with audience rating.

What the hell was that hospital part about? Come on now. This is beyond stupid.

Read that the show director was begging audiences to leave positive reviews on RT. Is that where we are now as a society?

Oh yea? What did he say?

I quit season 2 after 15 minutes. He should have just cast the guy who played Ernest instead of Vince Vaughn.

Oh yea? What did he say?

It was like blue balls for the heart

I’ll be honest I didn’t hate it though, i mean who doesn’t like Conway Twitty

This season definitely isn’t capturing my attention though, I’ll ride it out, especially since there isn’t a lot of other stuff out right now. Probably a good time to start clearing my DVR backlog or finding some movies

This season definitely isn’t capturing my attention though, I’ll ride it out, especially since there isn’t a lot of other stuff out right now. Probably a good time to start clearing my DVR backlog or finding some movies
Yea I got a bunch of stuff on my list but kinda don’t want to watch it. Masters of the Air is good.

Yea I got a bunch of stuff on my list but kinda don’t want to watch it. Masters of the Air is good.

Is that Apple? It’s like the one streaming service I don’t have, I guess I can always subscribe for a month

I will probably binge S2 of 30 Coins next, but after Griselda im not sure I’m ready for another subtitled show

Is that Apple? It’s like the one streaming service I don’t have, I guess I can always subscribe for a month

I will probably binge S2 of 30 Coins next, but after Griselda im not sure I’m ready for another subtitled show
Yea, Apple. May as well wait till all episodes are out and binge it. Only 2 so far.

Finished E3. Ugh. I'll ride it out but this is pretty bad.

For those interested in a show that’s like True Detective but not this, check out Black Bird on Apple. I guess it’s 2 years old but I just heard of it after getting lots of Emmy and Golden Globe love. Fantastic limited series with a real movie star cast: Taron Egerton, Ray Liotta, Paul Walter Hauser, Greg Kinnear. It’s based on the true story of a guy doing time for drugs and guns given a chance to commute his sentence if he can get a serial killer to confide in him where he hid the bodes before his appeal goes through and he’s likely released. Everyone is good but Hauser is absolutely haunting as the serial killer. He’s a funny guy but how his character develops, it truly becomes unnerving. One of the best TV performances I’ve seen in awhile. He’s one our best actors imo. It’s got everything True Detective does with multiple timelines. It’s excellent.

For those interested in a show that’s like True Detective but not this, check out Black Bird on Apple. I guess it’s 2 years old but I just heard of it after getting lots of Emmy and Golden Globe love. Fantastic limited series with a real movie star cast: Taron Egerton, Ray Liotta, Paul Walter Hauser, Greg Kinnear. It’s based on the true story of a guy doing time for drugs and guns given a chance to commute his sentence if he can get a serial killer to confide in him where he hid the bodes before his appeal goes through and he’s likely released. Everyone is good but Hauser is absolutely haunting as the serial killer. He’s a funny guy but how his character develops, it truly becomes unnerving. One of the best TV performances I’ve seen in awhile. He’s one our best actors imo. It’s got everything True Detective does with multiple timelines. It’s excellent.

Appreciate that. I've been looking for a new show since Fargo ended. There are so many streaming options with tons of original programming but a lack of quality. It's starting to remind of of the music business with less barriers to entry and a glut of content. Fargo, True Detective S1, BB/BCS, Mad Men, GOT, Wire, Six Feet Under, Curb, Sopranos and Mindhunter are what I consider good shows. Everyone told me Succession was master class but I thought it was absolute crap. Couldn't make it past S1. Same with Billions. I'm trying one called Tokyo Vice but about to pull the plug. Starting new shows only to quit halfway through the first season is a tiresome process. It makes me wonder what is considered great tv nowadays. Get off my lawn. End of rant.

Meh this show is beyond ridiculous with the horror movie/evil spirit nonsense.
It boggles my mind that people feel this strongly, this early on. We don't even know if there will be ANY evil spirit or supernatural element, when all is said and done with this season.

The first season certainly dealt with the existence of God and Rust Cohle even had a conversion experience by the end. If everything else is explained except the old lady following the dead husband to the bodies, I'd be ok with that. If it turns into The Thing, well, I won't be happy either. Except that The Thing is awesome so maybe I would be. Guess I'll find out because I'm in until the end regardless.

Exactly where i am.

Interesting takes. I'm enjoying it a lot more than S3.
The scene with the orange getting tossed back is a perfect example of why I'm annoyed. Not one person in law enforcement searching for a murder witness/suspect just experiences that and makes no effort to investigate, just dismissing it and turning around because of a radio call. Her reaction is unrealistic, and the unexplained, possibly supernatural nature of that interaction was just stupid. They keep introducing things like this. I dread a final episode that attempts to wrap everything up with some contrived explanation. It's like a bad mystery writer who gives the reader some clues, but at the end the big reveal is a long-winded monologue where a detective solves a mystery by referring to a bunch of things that weren't even part of the story.

Appreciate that. I've been looking for a new show since Fargo ended. There are so many streaming options with tons of original programming but a lack of quality. It's starting to remind of of the music business with less barriers to entry and a glut of content. Fargo, True Detective S1, BB/BCS, Mad Men, GOT, Wire, Six Feet Under, Curb, Sopranos and Mindhunter are what I consider good shows. Everyone told me Succession was master class but I thought it was absolute crap. Couldn't make it past S1. Same with Billions. I'm trying one called Tokyo Vice but about to pull the plug. Starting new shows only to quit halfway through the first season is a tiresome process. It makes me wonder what is considered great tv nowadays. Get off my lawn. End of rant.
I agree with you on everything except Succession. Not sure what didn't work for you but that's an all time great show on par with a Mad Men. But everyone has their personal tastes. I never could get into Six Feet Under. Do you like The Bear?

Black Bird trailer oh I forgot it's written by the great Dennis Lehane

Last edited:

I agree with you on everything except Succession. Not sure what didn't work for you but that's an all time great show on par with a Mad Men. But everyone has their personal tastes. I never could get into Six Feet Under. Do you like The Bear?

Black Bird trailer oh I forgot it's written by the great Dennis Lehane

I thought the first episode of The Bear looked promising. I forgot about it so I appreciate the reminder. Chef shows aren't really my thing but I hear it's a lot more than that.

As for Succession, the writing left a lot to be the desired and the characters just insufferable. Seemed like they were trying way too hard. Maybe it got better after S1 but probably just not my thing. I was really looking forward to it as I find the Murdoch family interesting but this just wasn't it :kicksrock:

30 coins, S2 is the biggest pile of **** you'll ever watch.

Yeah.....not really feeling it.

Season 1 was awesome (for this and other reasons)because basically the entire thing was seen through the 2 detectives eyes. This thing jumps around too much with soap opera nonsense that doesn't impact what matters. I don't care about the drama between the young police officer and his wife. (Or him and his dad either)

Maybe all the stuff between the mine and the natives impacts the case itself....but it doesn't really seem like that's where it's going. I get that there can obviously be some red herrings out there, but they're spending a LOT of time on it.

And yes.....they seem to be taking EVERy opportunity to show some less than attractive humans in situations I'd prefer not to watch. Season 1 we had young Alexandra daddario in all her glory. Now we're getting inuit birthing scenes in a hot tub and frozen scientist junk x 6 in a hockey rink

Gonna stick for at least 1 more episode (as I am generally interested in how the story shakes out) but it's not an enjoyable viewing experience so far.

At least it has confirmed that under no circumstances do I ever want to visit Alaska. God would that existence be miserable

Does the hot Spanish chick get topless again at least?

Exactly where i am.

Interesting takes. I'm enjoying it a lot more than S3.
The scene with the orange getting tossed back is a perfect example of why I'm annoyed. Not one person in law enforcement searching for a murder witness/suspect just experiences that and makes no effort to investigate, just dismissing it and turning around because of a radio call. Her reaction is unrealistic, and the unexplained, possibly supernatural nature of that interaction was just stupid. They keep introducing things like this. I dread a final episode that attempts to wrap everything up with some contrived explanation. It's like a bad mystery writer who gives the reader some clues, but at the end the big reveal is a long-winded monologue where a detective solves a mystery by referring to a bunch of things that weren't even part of the story.

Perfect as always, counselor.

I had to quit reading Stephen King when kept going back to the God card to wrap up his books' mysteries and endings. So lazy, so dumb.

Of course he's a huge fan of this series. Lol.

Once, briefly. Not as good as S1

Spanish?

Yeah.....not really feeling it.

Season 1 was awesome (for this and other reasons)because basically the entire thing was seen through the 2 detectives eyes. This thing jumps around too much with soap opera nonsense that doesn't impact what matters. I don't care about the drama between the young police officer and his wife. (Or him and his dad either)

Maybe all the stuff between the mine and the natives impacts the case itself....but it doesn't really seem like that's where it's going. I get that there can obviously be some red herrings out there, but they're spending a LOT of time on it.

And yes.....they seem to be taking EVERy opportunity to show some less than attractive humans in situations I'd prefer not to watch. Season 1 we had young Alexandra daddario in all her glory. Now we're getting inuit birthing scenes in a hot tub and frozen scientist junk x 6 in a hockey rink

Gonna stick for at least 1 more episode (as I am generally interested in how the story shakes out) but it's not an enjoyable viewing experience so far.

At least it has confirmed that under no circumstances do I ever want to visit Alaska. God would that existence be miserable
Definitely can’t play golf in January in Alaska.

I've never seen this show before, but the buzz around S4 got me to go back and watch S1. Damn, that was good.

I know everybody says there's a drop-off in quality after the first season, but what are we talking about here? Season 4 of The Sopranos? That would be fine. Or are we talking about GOT Season 8?
I sort of liked S2 but I think most people would say it was unwatchable.
Season 2 was the worst, by far. Season 1 was in a super-elite tier, the rest have been hard to watch (Season 2) or fine (Season 3). I think this season could be good, but to early to tell just yet. I like the framework but think it could jump the shark just the same.

So either the killer is some kind of supernatural force, the scientists unearthed some deadly microorganism making everyone go nuts, or Eve is going insane like her sister. All 3 of these would be beyond stupid but nothing else makes sense. Not sure why they called this True Detective at all.

I have to believe it's the water.

Users who are viewing this thread