What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyler Eifert, TE (JAC) (1 Viewer)

Eifert gets the Texans defense in his next game on Monday Night Football. The same Texans who gave up 3 TDs to Kelce in week 1.

I don't see him yet at gronk level BC in too many games the yardage isn't there. Gronk has 3td upside but also puts up 100 td receiving games at a good clip. Eifert's pretty darn close though. He is what I though Kelce would be this year.
Kelce would be Eifert on almost every other team in the league.
Luckily we all know what team everyone is on before our fantasy drafts. As I argued in the Kelce thread before the season, the targets and TDs just weren't going to be there this year. Everyone who bought into the Kelce hype was ignoring the writing on the wall. They all thought he was magically going to get 140 targets and 50% of his QB's passing TDs.

That being said, I thought this system would yield a few more targets for Eifert than it has. Luckily, his red zone presence has more than offset the lack of targets. The fact that they've won every game and not been in catch up mode has surely contributed to the lack of pass attempts by the offense as a whole. For example, AJ Green is on his lowest targets/game pace since his rookie year.

I don't see him yet at gronk level BC in too many games the yardage isn't there. Gronk has 3td upside but also puts up 100 td receiving games at a good clip. Eifert's pretty darn close though. He is what I though Kelce would be this year.
Luckily we all know what team everyone is on before our fantasy drafts. As I argued in the Kelce thread before the season, the targets and TDs just weren't going to be there this year. Everyone who bought into the Kelce hype was ignoring the writing on the wall. They all thought he was magically going to get 140 targets and 50% of his QB's passing TDs.

That being said, I thought this system would yield a few more targets for Eifert than it has. Luckily, his red zone presence has more than offset the lack of targets. The fact that they've won every game and not been in catch up mode has surely contributed to the lack of pass attempts by the offense as a whole. For example, AJ Green is on his lowest targets/game pace since his rookie year.
the abundance of weapons has dented the fantasy impact of both players.

He cost me the game in one league, well really Dalton did. I had Eifert/A.J.Green going and he had nobody left and I only needed a measly 8 points to win on Monday night so witnessing each of Eifert's successive drops was very, very, very, very (how many drops again, 4?) painful. Also A.J. Green was all but ignored after the first couple drives. I dunno how many failed targets were spent on Marvin Jones, but I am pretty sure he had less than a 50% conversion rate.

Get this, I actually took the lead on the last play of the night with Green's catch, giving me 8 points. Then he fumbles, so I went from being tied to winning to losing in one play. :bag:

And before FFNinja tells me nobody cares. I'll add that I think Eifert will be fine going forward and that I think Dalton has a gene that gets nervous in big games and has yet to overcome this gene. Countless times in prime time games Dalton has failed miserably. I only needed 4 points from each of Eifert and Green and while both of those guys sucked it up too, Dalton was a big part of that and countless other times I can remember Monday night games, Thursday night games, Sunday Night games where Dalton falls flat on his face when I need him most (as a Green owner over the years). And we all know his playoff performances have been less than stellar. The problem is when Dalton is bad, he's REALLY BAD, bad enough to cost you what should have been an easy win in cases like mine. All 3 have a tough matchup in wk16 too. Ugh. It's the big drawback of owning Eifert, along with so many targets going elsewhere.

That game was really frustrating, killed my matchup. It always feels ok after reflection knowing the chances were there, I just hope Dalton holds up over the long haul.

Kelce is tight end number 5 in PPR this year, is it really that bad?

On the surface that's not terrible, but on a points per game basis (TE9), he's right there with waiver wire fodder. People probably drafted him as TE3 or TE4 in the 4th-5th rounds. So people who bought on the hype essentially paid a high price tag for a 1-2 ppg advantage over teams that punted the position entirely (or maybe giving up a deficit to Barnidge or Reed owners).

0ppr ppg:

1. Gronk - 14.29 (TE1)

2. Eifert - 11.11 (TE14)

3. Barnidge - 10.87 (UD)

4. Gates - 10.80 (TE15)

5. Olsen 10.71 (TE3)

6. Reed - 10.53 (TE23)

7. Walker - 8.85 (TE8)

8. L.Green - 8.49 (TE27)

9. Kelce - 8.38 (TE4)

10. Gillmore - 7.49 (TE30)

11. Ebron - 7.14 (TE25)

12. Watson - 7.11 (TE29)

Guys up to TE20 are averaging over 6ppg.

FWIW, he's TE8 in 1ppr (by avg ppg) and presents only a 2-3 ppg advantage over guys in the TE12-20 range.

Agree.

I said all offseason in as many threads as the Kelce question was asked that if Andy Reid couldn't fully maximize the potential of Jamaal Charles and utilize him to his fullest, there was no way he would do it with Kelce, especially with Charles there. To be honest, Kelce owners are probably very lucky that Charles was lost for the season because he would be taking a look or three from Kelce in the short screen game right now if he were available.

It's easy to see Kelce is a great talent but he's never going to be dynasty#2-3 material on an Andy Reid team. There's always Gronk ahead of him and on any given year, there are teams that will utilize their TE better, probably from necessity (Barnidge, Bennett at any given time, etc).

If I had him, I would enjoy him. I just wouldn't be surprised when I look up on any given Sunday and see that Delanie Walker or any other ten TEs I could have gotten much cheaper were just as productive as he was.

In my opinion, he is and ideal value sell player.

Last edited by a moderator:

On the surface that's not terrible, but on a points per game basis (TE9), he's right there with waiver wire fodder. People probably drafted him as TE3 or TE4 in the 4th-5th rounds. So people who bought on the hype essentially paid a high price tag for a 1-2 ppg advantage over teams that punted the position entirely (or maybe giving up a deficit to Barnidge or Reed owners).

0ppr ppg:

1. Gronk - 14.29 (TE1)

2. Eifert - 11.11 (TE14)

3. Barnidge - 10.87 (UD)

4. Gates - 10.80 (TE15)

5. Olsen 10.71 (TE3)

6. Reed - 10.53 (TE23)

7. Walker - 8.85 (TE8)

8. L.Green - 8.49 (TE27)

9. Kelce - 8.38 (TE4)

10. Gillmore - 7.49 (TE30)

11. Ebron - 7.14 (TE25)

12. Watson - 7.11 (TE29)

Guys up to TE20 are averaging over 6ppg.

FWIW, he's TE8 in 1ppr (by avg ppg) and presents only a 2-3 ppg advantage over guys in the TE12-20 range.
The point per game use is lame in my opinion. There is an extra value in having a guy week in and week out and know he is capable of big numbers. Plus it frees up roster space for other players. Now back to Eifert.

Yes ... PPR is really bad.

The point per game use is lame in my opinion. There is an extra value in having a guy week in and week out and know he is capable of big numbers. Plus it frees up roster space for other players. Now back to Eifert.
How is PPG lame? You really want to punish a guy for missing a game or two? So long as you know he's going to miss a game, you get to plug someone else in and keep going. Gates missed the first four games due to suspension, so you want to act like he's not as good as Kelce at this point of the season? Ignoring stuff like that and only looking at totals is lame in my opinion.

As for Eifert, I don't think there's much left to discuss. He had a down week, but at this point he's proven himself and looks like a guy drafted in the 1st round.

FF Ninja said:
msudaisy26 said:
How is PPG lame? You really want to punish a guy for missing a game or two? So long as you know he's going to miss a game, you get to plug someone else in and keep going. Gates missed the first four games due to suspension, so you want to act like he's not as good as Kelce at this point of the season? Ignoring stuff like that and only looking at totals is lame in my opinion.

As for Eifert, I don't think there's much left to discuss. He had a down week, but at this point he's proven himself and looks like a guy drafted in the 1st round.
Eifert for me has been "Can't win with em ... Can't win without em"

Last 3 weeks

Play em he score 3 and I lose

Sit em he scores 21 and I lose (played Watson who was Red Hot and scored 4)

Play em he scores 2 and I lose

This week I'm playin him ... expecting 20 pts

FF Ninja said:
msudaisy26 said:

Yes I do. Gates is am exception because it was known at the beginning of the year. Most guys miss time and you have to scramble to find someone. You sat I want to punish a guy for missing time, but you want to knock the guy that isn't missing time.

FF Ninja said:
msudaisy26 said:

Yes I do. Gates is am exception because it was known at the beginning of the year. Most guys miss time and you have to scramble to find someone. You sat I want to punish a guy for missing time, but you want to knock the guy that isn't missing time.
No, I'm not knocking him for not missing time. I'm just not burying my head in the sand and pretending that his totals make him some sort of top 5 weekly play at his position. On a weekly basis, he's probably not top 6 so you are likely giving up points to your opponent at that position despite the fact you paid a Doug Martin/Gurly/Ivory/Marshall price for Kelce on draft day. The fact of the matter is, you are probably just as well off with Delanie Walker + a waiver wire guy (if he misses another game). Kelce is only averaging like 8 points a game. You can find a free agent who will get you 4-6 points for a spot start, so no big deal if Gates or Walker misses a game. It's not like you get a zero when they miss time.

Little bump for another 2 TD performance. I wish the Bengals would open it up a bit and get him involved between the 20s, but I'm not complaining.

Little bump for another 2 TD performance. I wish the Bengals would open it up a bit and get him involved between the 20s, but I'm not complaining.
Yeah, it's weird that he only got 3 targets on a night where Dalton threw the ball 39 times, but I agree it is hard to complain when 2 of the targets led to TDs. He could be a much bigger contributor on offense if they wanted him to be, but I'll take what I can get.

No, I'm not knocking him for not missing time. I'm just not burying my head in the sand and pretending that his totals make him some sort of top 5 weekly play at his position. On a weekly basis, he's probably not top 6 so you are likely giving up points to your opponent at that position despite the fact you paid a Doug Martin/Gurly/Ivory/Marshall price for Kelce on draft day. The fact of the matter is, you are probably just as well off with Delanie Walker + a waiver wire guy (if he misses another game). Kelce is only averaging like 8 points a game. You can find a free agent who will get you 4-6 points for a spot start, so no big deal if Gates or Walker misses a game. It's not like you get a zero when they miss time.
would u guys mind taking this to the kelce thread? Do we really need to hear about how ninja was right about kelce in the eifert thread? Get over yourself and let's talk eifert. It was not that great a call anyway kelc could still easily finish top 3 with a few big games like week 1. But this is an eifert thread.

With Gronk cooling off in the past 3 games Eifert has almost established himself as the #1 TE. His ceiling appears to be as high as Gronk when you compare their best games. He has 4 bad games as compared to Gronk only having 3 bad games, but also has made the most of fewer targets than the other TEs that have 100 or more points at this point in the season (PPR). All this to say if he was getting Gronk type targets he probably would be #1 ranked, but we can also agree his TD rate "should" regress somewhat. Also consider his QB, Dalton. I think I remember reading that Dalton is like 1-14 in prime time games (TNF, MNF, SNF) and 0 - whatever in playoff games. Looking at his season this year:

Splits PPR:

Big games (Prime time games & div games):

Wk3 0 (div) BAL

Wk7 7 (div) PIT

Wk9 27 (div/CLE/TNF)

WK10 5 (MNF)

WK11 16 (SNF)

Regular time & non div games (rounded to nearest point):

Wk1 28

Wk2 13

Wk4 8

WK5 26

Wk6 12

This rule seems to apply except when they face CLE which was bot h a div game and a prime time game. Eifert did put up a respectable 16 points in Wk11, however he had only 3 targets and 2 of those were for TDs. Not exactly an awe inspiring performance. I think all Eifert owners felt lucky to come away with 16 points after that game, but that is also a sign he could be becoming a stud. Going forward, are any of us going to sit Eifert in a primetime or div matchup? Doubtful, but I would be a little uneasy or possibly start another option if I had one except when they face CLE again.

Why bring all this up? Look at the playoff schedule.

Wk14 Pit (div)

Wk15 (SNF)

Wk16 (MNF vs DEN) This could be a disaster type game from Dalton when we need him most. Add more pressure if this game means something for Cin getting into the playoffs. Major red flags for a Dalton implosion here.

(FFNinja, here is the "wat") Rather than patting myself on the back for drafting Eifert on what he has done with being the most efficient scorer with the least amount of targets for top TEs, I would count myself as lucky for the production and realize the TDs may not continue to come at this torrid pace, and in redraft I wouldn't hesitate to move Eifert along if I could get a guy like Barnidge, Walker, Kelce or Olson, especially if I could get value somewhere else in addition as Eifert has big name value right now. Most of the trade deadlines are over, but I know ESPN and a few other leagues can trade until tomorrow. When making a trade, after last nights performance it wouldnt be to hard to name Eifert as the new #1 TE going forward to an owner willing to buy. I don;t beleive he is, but you could make a case that NE is not going to produce as well as they did with Lewis/Amendola/Edelman all gone now (and point to last night's game as proof this is bad for Brady/Gronk).I am moving Eifert for value in other areas as I am already in the playoffs and have Kelce on my bench. In a keeper/dynasty I would hold Eifert.

My deadline has passed, but I'd need to be getting pretty good value to trade Eifert.

You don't like counting on the TDs, but it's hard to trade someone getting as many red zone targets as Eifert. They haven't been fluke scores. He's getting looks every week as defenses must respect Cincy's running game inside the ten.

(FFNinja, here is the "wat") Rather than patting myself on the back for drafting Eifert on what he has done with being the most efficient scorer with the least amount of targets for top TEs, I would count myself as lucky for the production and realize the TDs may not continue to come at this torrid pace
I'm heavily invested in Eifert and feel this is accurate. I'm happy with this total production to date but I typically prefer more high volume players. He's sort of become similar to James Jones, TD dependent and running real high risks of crapping the bed any given week.

He's also probably someone who for fantasy his owners have likely been frustrated past few weeks with his lack of involvement outside the red zone meanwhile fantasy owners who went against him are probably frustrated like hell that he does almost nothing all game but catch TD's against them.

My deadline has passed, but I'd need to be getting pretty good value to trade Eifert.

You don't like counting on the TDs, but it's hard to trade someone getting as many red zone targets as Eifert. They haven't been fluke scores. He's getting looks every week as defenses must respect Cincy's running game inside the ten.
Even if we include the CLE game which is a major outlier, he avgs 5 targets, 3 recs for 28 yards per game (5 TDs, 3 of which came against CLE) in "Big games" (Prime time games & div games). That is about 5 ppg in PPR as a floor. He faces DEN in wk16 in a prime time game. I don't feel comfortable penciling him in for 1-2 TDs for that or even the other playoff games either. You might think its probable he keeps this pace up, and for non "big games" he might, but historically it would be very challenging to accomplish this pace. With that, especially given his QB, unless you think Dalton has an "aha moment" and suddenly gets it then I foresee he will do the same thing he has done in previous big games over the course of his career.

he has kept me alive...
Same here. I needed a big week from him with the Pittsburgh Steelers on bye. He came through nicely considering I own him and started him in both leagues and he's killing it in the best ball format of the Subscriber contest for me. To say I went all in on this guy is an understatement

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports tests on Tyler Eifert's neck revealed no structural damage.

Eifert left Sunday's blowout win over the Rams in the third quarter with a stinger when the game was already in hand. Afterward, Eifert said he was "OK," and this report seems to confirm that. For now, Eifert is up in the air for Week 13, but we'd bet he suits up for the divisional tilt with the Browns.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

The news seems to be getting worse not better.

link

Eifert not practicing again on Thursday, last full-scale workout of week. At best questionable
He's not practicing, CIN has plenty of good receiving options, and Hue Jackson is publicly praising Sanu and FB Ryan Hewitt this week. Eiffert might not be part of this week's gameplan...even if he's active.

WW for TE is especially picked over due to Gronk/Graham injuries last week. If I didn't have a solid backup TE, I'd be pretty tempted to wait until Sunday morning and play him if he's active or grab a last minute boom/bust guy if he's inactive.

WW for TE is especially picked over due to Gronk/Graham injuries last week. If I didn't have a solid backup TE, I'd be pretty tempted to wait until Sunday morning and play him if he's active or grab a last minute boom/bust guy if he's inactive.
I can't imagine having to scour the WW at this time of the year for a TE. Good luck, bro...

Vance McDonald gone. Usual suspects you don't want like Jared cook still there. Gonna roll the dice in Ryan griffin

Users who are viewing this thread