What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

ESPN's Adam Caplan reports Justin Hunter could start over Nate Washington this week.

Hunter would replace Washington at X-receiver in two-wide sets. The Titans are starting to realize they need to get him more involved despite his inconsistent play through the first four games. Hunter has been playing on 76 percent of offensive snaps to this point, but his targets are set to increase as an every-down starter opposite Kendall Wright.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Oct 3 - 7:04 PM
It seems to me It's more whisenhunt not playing games anymore. He didn't start but played a ton like a starter in some JAG or wannabe Dean Smith type way. 76% when you're the only tall guy ...cmon

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter led the Titans wideouts by playing on 68-of-70 snaps in Sunday's loss to the Browns.

Kendall Wright played 57 snaps and Nate Washington got 48. It represents a changing of the guard, as Hunter (who was previously playing on 74.3 percent of the snaps) finally started over Washington at the "X" spot. He only saw five targets, but produced a 3-99-1 line and will have bigger days ahead in his new role. Hunter will be a WR3 candidate against Jacksonville in Week 6.

Related: Nate Washington, Kendall Wright

Source: profootballfocus.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Showing some good stuff. Needs to be more consistent obviously. But his dynasty arrow is pointed up; as I like his situation with Mettenberger long term.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter led the Titans wideouts by playing on 68-of-70 snaps in Sunday's loss to the Browns.

Kendall Wright played 57 snaps and Nate Washington got 48. It represents a changing of the guard, as Hunter (who was previously playing on 74.3 percent of the snaps) finally started over Washington at the "X" spot. He only saw five targets, but produced a 3-99-1 line and will have bigger days ahead in his new role. Hunter will be a WR3 candidate against Jacksonville in Week 6.

Hunter played 68 snaps, got only 5 targets, and if he doesn't get matched up against Buster Skrine on a post he ends up with 2/24/0. It was a great play but he's need to do it more often.

cstu said:
Rotoworld:

Hunter played 68 snaps, got only 5 targets, and if he doesn't get matched up against Buster Skrine on a post he ends up with 2/24/0. It was a great play but he's need to do it more often.
That's NFL life against a top corner. He gets a mulligan for yesterday, maybe some bonus points for bolting when he saw Skrine on him. Many teams won't risk throwing at Haden so....

It was Whitehurst who threw him that ball, correct? And now we're hearing Mettenberger may get the nod? This type of QB carousel smashes chemistry, especially for a deep threat where timing is key. Mettenberger may have a canon but I still don't feel super confident about TEN's receiving corps in general. Still, they do get JAC at home this week.

I will be ecstatic if Mettenberger plays and throws for enough yards to ride out the season.

Top QB in the draft seems inevitable. I want a gun giving them WRs experience. I want to see Whisenhunt's O not this offense from 1960.

There's a very good chance he'll be better than Locker and Young and Fitzpatrick so best QB in 6-7 years, better not entice them to draft another backup lineman in round one.

And yes 300 yards with 2 TDs 5 INTs is better

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter caught 1-of-2 targets for six yards in Tennessee's Week 7 loss to the Redskins.

It was a monumentally-disappointing day for the second-year wideout, as his second target was a ball he should have caught for major yardage. Hunter has taken steps forward in recent weeks, but he's still a boom-or-bust WR3 most safely utilized as a WR4.

Oct 19 - 5:49 PM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter played on 55-of-57 snaps in Sunday's loss at Washington.

Hunter has now played on 177-of-185 snaps (95.6 percent) since taking over the starting "X" job from Nate Washington three games ago. Yet he's seen just 12 targets during that span, totaling a disappointing 7-182-1 line in plus matchups. Hunter remains a boom-or-bust WR3, but one that will get a boost if strong-armed Jake Locker (thumb) can get back in the lineup. Checkdown Charlie Whitehurst is not a fit with Hunter's vertical skill set.

Oct 20 - 10:37 AM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter says he and Zach Mettenberger had a "good rhythm going" during training camp and preseason.

"I'm really interested to see how it will all turn out in a real game," Hunter continued. Of the Titans' regular receivers, sophomore Hunter spent the most time with Mettenberger's group over summer. The two showed great chemistry in the preseason when Hunter caught ten passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns. Mettenberger has a rocket arm unlike Checkdown Charlie Whithurst, and TE Delanie Walker says the deep ball will be a "focus" of the offense Week 8 against the Texans. Hunter knows how to run the "go" route.

Source: Nashville Tennessean
Oct 24 - 10:26 AM

I'm glad Kelvin B is my 3rd WR option, because this would be a diff decision for me to put Hunter in the lineup. Clowney will be back in the Texans Lineup this week, and Mett hasn't faced a pass rush like this ever. RAK will be throwing all kinds of exotic stuff Metts way, I see this as a pretty sloppy game, staying away from all Titans this week to see how it pans out. I realize Texans have been susceptible to the deep ball, but its hard to let the play progress if you have 2 pass rushers looking to kill you every play (Watt, Clowney) ???

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter caught four passes for 31 yards and one touchdown in the Titans' Week 8 loss to the Texans.

It was a disappointing game for Hunter, but he still saw a team-high 10 targets and was the intended receiver on a couple deep balls from big-armed Zach Mettenberger. Hunter saved his owners with a late 12-yard touchdown grab with the Titans already trailing 30-7. On his early catches, Hunter had trouble staying on his feet, instead slipping on the LP Field turf. Hunter remains the focal point of Tennessee's aerial attack. It's just a matter of time before another blow up. The Titans are heading into their bye.

Oct 26 - 6:10 PM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter caught four passes for 31 yards and one touchdown in the Titans' Week 8 loss to the Texans.

It was a disappointing game for Hunter, but he still saw a team-high 10 targets and was the intended receiver on a couple deep balls from big-armed Zach Mettenberger. Hunter saved his owners with a late 12-yard touchdown grab with the Titans already trailing 30-7. On his early catches, Hunter had trouble staying on his feet, instead slipping on the LP Field turf. Hunter remains the focal point of Tennessee's aerial attack. It's just a matter of time before another blow up. The Titans are heading into their bye.

Oct 26 - 6:10 PM
3 catches for 19 yards on 9 targets prior to the garbage time TD with a minute left.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter caught one pass for 17 yards on two targets in the Titans' Week 10 loss to the Ravens.

The Ravens gave Tennessee's offense constant man-coverage looks with reserve and street free agent cornerbacks, and the Titans didn't even try to attack it. Hunter also had a 31-yard catch wiped off the board by an offensive pass interference penalty. He was a shoestring tackle away from a touchdown at the end of his 17-yard reception, but Ravens CB Danny Gorrer brought him down. Hunter will remain a boom-or-bust WR3 option in Week 11 against the Steelers.

Nov 9 - 4:01 PM

I keep expecting the light to come on for him. Idk. I assumed having the bye last week would get him on the same page with Mettenberger but that didn't happen today. He might truly be one of those 3 year WR developments, assuming he does ever put it together.

I keep expecting the light to come on for him. Idk. I assumed having the bye last week would get him on the same page with Mettenberger but that didn't happen today. He might truly be one of those 3 year WR developments, assuming he does ever put it together.
At what point do we accept that he's Stephen Hill?

The difference is he IS frail, or soft as I have said from jump. Until he stops being soft, he will never live up to expectations.

Could Mettenberger be the problem? I mean, it's hard to see how Mettenberger could be an advantage for a WR.

Until you see a Coaching staff use him as a possession receiver and improve the amount of routes he run, I'm out.

He's athletically gifted but I think he could improve with some more technique. He needs to saddle up with a competent Quarterback.

I get Calvin Johnson vibes about this guy.

Could Mettenberger be the problem? I mean, it's hard to see how Mettenberger could be an advantage for a WR.
No, geesh, no. Hunter's NFL dream is probably to have a QB with that arm when he goes deep.

He goofed yesterday and had offensive PI. He should have had a 40ish yard catch.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

Justin Hunter caught two passes for 48 yards in the Titans' Week 11 loss to the Steelers.

Hunter was targeted four times. He stumbled on the Titans' first play of the game, falling out of bounds on his route, leading to a pick-six for William Gay. On his other missed opportunity, Hunter could only get one foot down in bounds on the sideline. He continues to frustrate. Hunter's big gain was a 36-yard grab on a hook route when Gay slipped in coverage. Hunter is nothing more than a WR4. He has a plus date with the Eagles in Week 12, but is impossible to trust.

Nov 18 - 12:17 AM

to be fair, stumble or no stumble, that pass was getting picked to the house. QB threw it way inside.

You can tell he's only used on certain routes and is asked to clear out the safeties deep a lot for their underneath work. I'd still like to see at least one deep shot to him every game. He can win the 50-50 high balls. I also recall reading about how unstoppable he was near the goal line with fades/back shoulder stuff in camp. I haven't seen one attempt to him like that this season.

He looked terrible on mnf. He has looked very good at times where it's like many big WRs and ya just see too fast too big too long arms....but the titans have had this shoddy O where they go away from the WRs for more than half a game. He's not getting the reps at all when they do that. Last year we learned he can go deep, this year, he may be special. Its not enough...still. The stumble was dopey but he also got a sideline route and didn't put his feet down

Ketamine Dreams said:
My patience is starting to wear thin with him. How long are you dynasty guys willing to keep holding him and his 'potential'?
Wouldn't it be nice to see him on a good team?

Ketamine Dreams said:
My patience is starting to wear thin with him. How long are you dynasty guys willing to keep holding him and his 'potential'?
Gotta give WR's with raw potential 3 years before considering them a bust. Not too long ago, most WR's needed 3 years to break out. We've been spoiled the past couple years with rookies and 2nd year players being great.

Ketamine Dreams said:
Gotta give WR's with raw potential 3 years before considering them a bust. Not too long ago, most WR's needed 3 years to break out. We've been spoiled the past couple years with rookies and 2nd year players being great.
I think it has more to do with league rules having changed. Used to be FA wideouts were often busts as well. But now you just can't hardly touch them. I think the days of the 3 year breakout rule are gone.

He's a definite sit and wait in deep dynasty as long as he's starting and playing a majority of snaps.

We all have our criterias in our head, he's gotta meet them as a sit and wait guy even though he fails as a starter

I don't agree on guys like Hunter. There are types that are clearly elite athletes that are easily superior athletes than most(not all) CBs. I think these types need to be thrown at til it clicks. I believe many teams do this nowadays.

Many I've noticed getting "the kitchen sink" thrown at them in preseason and camp so that they are able to handle the regular season.

Shawn Jefferson drilled Hunter like crazy as a rook and broke what I thought was a primadonna attitude but others here strongly disagreed with me. He seemed oh so ready for the regular season. Then he went 16 games being either a decoy or solely a deep threat. This was a waste in my opinion.

In camp two, offseason two, he was very impressive and some arrogance came back. Whisenhunt called him Just Another Guy to keep that ego in check. He was a top WR in preseason and got plenty of work in.

During the NFL regular season, the Titans have very often gone from moving the ball marvelously to open the game and close the game, to nearly 3 quarters of not passing to the WR but a smidge here n there. From somewhere in the first Q to middle of the fourth. During this time, Whisenhunt has a supposed hard running offense where the TE is supposed to be a beast. They're learning it and still learning it as Sankey has only recently caught on to the tough style he wants. Walker had some awesome moments but was otherwise "solid."

Kendall Wright literally looks uncoverable very very often. Many defenses don't bother to cover him but use a zone to nail him once he does catch it. The risk of him breaking one seems to exceed the minimal impact of a four yard catch. Still, he is excellent during these very brief periods where his skills are utilized.

Nate Washington blew by Gay for the easiest looking deep pass all season, last week. He is a reliable veteran that catches the occasional deep ball. Year in year out, he is oh so predictable. Whisenhunt knows him and has coached him before. It feels like he has 30 targets on the year. This is beyond unacceptable.

Back to Justin, he has run across the middle and made a few tough catches that I think everyone needed to see him do. He ran a few quick slants and a few cut right across the field fast routes. He has shown everything this year. The problem is he has what amounts to one quarter to do it each week. Start of the first, end of the fourth. It's not enough.

Last week they threw to the WRs more than ever with Walker out. It was a very nice change. Hunter didn't do well. In fact, he looked rusty which is just garbage for a mid-late season game, but this is how Whisenhunt set it up.

I feel like Whisenhunt doesn't know what to do. I feel like year two won't be different. I don't want him around. We have two O's, a Martz like holy wow did they move the ball down the field effortlessly and a Parcells Gibbs like bullish offense. It has rarely had any rhyme or reason as far as having a lead or being down in games but instead gone by quarters.

Every other coach in NFL history has had their offense and a combo of what they wanted and what they had as far as personnel. None have ever been successful being this obvious about their square peg round hole thinking. The Titans have had horrific quarterbacks, when I say Kendall can catch anything I almost mean that phrase literally. You can't NOT use him for half the game. Hunter can beat almost anyone deep and with his size, he is a concern for defenses. You can't use that to your advantage? Sell it and throw him a quick pass instead?

"No one" knows, but he cut all his depth at WR to sign specific types like a speedy short lil bugger that I can not recall ever seeing catch a pass. What'd we get him for? And we dropped a pro bowl KR for that?

McCluster is oh so smooth and quick. If he's in the game, he gets the rock almost every time. It's pathetically predictable. He can't be more creative with a guy that can play WR or RB?

Whisenhunt reminds me of Jimmy Johnson in Miami and other coaches that have just not cut it in their new surroundings. The square peg round hole offense frustrates me every week. Last week was the very first time I was fine with the offense. If things close well, then fine it just took some time. Today though, I want him gone and there are a ton of posts on Titans MBs saying the same.

The Titans have never had a WR like Wright. Workman like Mason sure, but never lightning quick good luck covering him. The only "physical specimen" comparable to Hunter was Britt and we all know how his attitude worked out. The Titans have had plenty of good TEs, some very good. Fisher was excellent with TEs. Walker does not seem special or unique to Titans fans. They've had Eddie George, CJ, and what feels like 30 other backs. If Sankey is special then let us see-make plays for him to succeed within and quit benching him.

On Defense they also show a microcosm of this- Derrick Morgan was a very good DE. He's been moved to OLB and is often a step slow or out of position and the opposing team makes an easy play. For like three weeks now, they have him put his hand down and viola! there's a sack. Casey is a beast of a 4-3 DT. He looks small in a 3-4 but somehow finds a way. This is our marquis guy and he looks out of position? It gives this odd feeling that I can only word as square peg round hole. I'm sick of it.

He hasn't adjusted his offense or defense to suit the personnel. Next year will be "hey maybe Justin gets used four quarters" or he'll be doing well for some other team and that will totally be Whisenhunt's fault. Every single thing you want a young WR to do to earn his lumps til you lean on him, Justin has done. There is no justification for ignoring he and Wright for more than half the game.

Sorry for long rant. He's shown everything, he needs the rock.

Users who are viewing this thread