What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFO's .... do you believe ? (1 Viewer)

Don't believe.   I figure since every single human being on the planet has a cell phone (unless they need an ID for one in Georgia) there would be a billion cell phone captures of UFOs.  But there isn't. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The size of the universe makes this extremely implausible. Most galaxies are receding away from ours at faster than the speed of light. Eventually we won't be able to see most of the galaxies in the universe. Even if aliens could travel at near the speed of light, it puts very, very few stars within reach of the Earth in any realistic timeframe. We've been searching our own galaxy for signs of life for around 30 years, with nothing to show for it. If other civilizations do/did exist, the timing also has to be right. They may have existed billions of years ago. Any likelihood for contact with aliens seems to be heavily weighted against us just based on how vast space itself is, unfortunately.

At first, I was going to question why this thread was in the Political Forum. But then it occurred to me that there's probably quite a bit of overlap with certain beliefs.

I didn't see the other topic - to me, it ties in to Fed Gov hiding way too many things and it becomes political 

please delete this thread !! thanks

I will say I do believe in life on other planets.  Pretty sure of that.

But have they been able to get here?  Without some wormholes somewhere i see it as unlikely
This.  The distances required to be traveled are inconceivable.  I won't entirely discount the possibility that other civilizations have figured out something like wormholes, but it seems extremely unlikely.

I will say I do believe in life on other planets.  Pretty sure of that.

But have they been able to get here?  Without some wormholes somewhere i see it as unlikely
RIght.  Sure there's life somewhere else.  

Have they been flying down here on the regular, buzzing hayfields, and kidnapping truckers?  No.  

If they are intelligent enough to get here from another part of the universe, they are intelligent enough to observe us from far away, and not need to grab one of us, and stick probes up the bum.  

And again I say:  Soon as everyone started carrying video cameras around, people stopped seeing UFOs (and cops got racist).  

This.  The distances required to be traveled are inconceivable.  I won't entirely discount the possibility that other civilizations have figured out something like wormholes, but it seems extremely unlikely.
Gravity has the power to deform space.  That's why you can see stars that are actually behind other starts, it essentially bends light.  Learn to harness that power and the distances are conceivable.  Coincidentally, or not, take a look at all our military bases of operation.  They are always in strategic locations, ports, mouths of rivers, tops of mountains.  Why do we have bases at Death Valley and the Carson Sink?  My theory is because both those places have a drastic change in elevation in a short distance (thus a dramatic change in gravity force).  Something you might need in order to focus your gravity powered traveling device (I'm not sure it even has to be a ship).  Also, coincidentally, these places have a high volume of reported UFO sightings.  

I've seen some things that are pretty compelling as evidence of aliens having been here, but, if I were to wager I think it's more likely than not that they haven't.  I would guess our government might understand more than regular people about how they might get here and have been preparing, just in case, ever since the Roswell scare they had to at least consider it.  It's more likely we perform military operations and experiments out in Death Valley and the Carson Sink and people mistake those activities as alien.  It may have nothing do do with my theory. 

I think most physicists would agree with Carl Sagan that given what we know about how easily life began on our planet of star dust, it's almost mathematically certain that it did the same in other places in our universe, likely even in our own galaxy.  

RIght.  Sure there's life somewhere else.  

Have they been flying down here on the regular, buzzing hayfields, and kidnapping truckers?  No.  

If they are intelligent enough to get here from another part of the universe, they are intelligent enough to observe us from far away, and not need to grab one of us, and stick probes up the bum.  

And again I say:  Soon as everyone started carrying video cameras around, people stopped seeing UFOs (and cops got racist).  
Meanwhile we are picking up rocks on mars in hopes of better understanding.  The ability to travel distances doesn't negate the need to take samples, especially if we were the first life forms they found.  Maybe they would be interested, maybe they were bored with our types.

Also, if they are smart enough to travel here, they might not be bothered about people's cell phones.  It may be a lot easier for them to subvert digital devices than it would be exposure film.

The size of the universe makes this extremely implausible. Most galaxies are receding away from ours at faster than the speed of light. Eventually we won't be able to see most of the galaxies in the universe. Even if aliens could travel at near the speed of light, it puts very, very few stars within reach of the Earth in any realistic timeframe. We've been searching our own galaxy for signs of life for around 30 years, with nothing to show for it. If other civilizations do/did exist, the timing also has to be right. They may have existed billions of years ago. Any likelihood for contact with aliens seems to be heavily weighted against us just based on how vast space itself is, unfortunately.
We've explored approximately 4% of our own galaxy. There are an estimated 125 billion galaxies in our universe and each galaxy has billions of stars. Each star may have planets.

We've gone from the steam engine in 1698 to landing rovers on another planet in 2020 - just over 300 years of technology. Now imagine giving a few hundred other intelligent species* just a million year head start. How advanced might they be from where we are now?

Not implausible.

*and that assumes similar intelligence to us. 

Meanwhile we are picking up rocks on mars in hopes of better understanding.  The ability to travel distances doesn't negate the need to take samples, especially if we were the first life forms they found.  Maybe they would be interested, maybe they were bored with our types.

Also, if they are smart enough to travel here, they might not be bothered about people's cell phones.  It may be a lot easier for them to subvert digital devices than it would be exposure film.
Yeah this is the key.  If we were to go back in time just a few 100 years ago and drop a functioning laptop or iPhone on someone’s lap it would seem like magic to them.  People of that time wouldn’t even be able to imagine or wrap their heads around the items.  And that’s just a few hundred years.  Imagine a alien race 500/1000 or 1 million years more advanced. We can’t even begin to understand what tech they might have.  

* @Amused to Deathclearly types faster then I.  Lol

As a child of the 70s I recognize these videos very well.  I grew up on the same thing with Bigfoot.  Out of focus, quick views, never anything you could quite make out.

Weird how all those stopped once everyone had a camera with them at all times.

Not sure if someone's found a fun way to prank the military or the military is having fun with the rest of us or whatever, but those vids are straight out of the vault as far as I'm concerned.

There are certain things intellectually curious minds think about. Life on other planets, the solar system, the galaxies. I'm not one of them.

I'm too worried about what happens to what I conceive of a soul when I die to really worry about everybody else.

Call me an existential egoist, if you will, but I really don't care if there is life on other planets. Only in terms of what that means for God and the Earth right now. I suppose that's limited, but every time one tries to educate one's self about space, one feels very, very, very, very small. And futile without God.

Traveling through Roswell, New Mexico a couple weeks ago my wife and visited the UFO museum there. There seemed to be some high ranking military officials back in 1947 who saw the evidence and believed. Was there a coverup?  Not much into conspiracy theories though however reading the eye witness evidence at the museum makes one ponder.

There are certain things intellectually curious minds think about. Life on other planets, the solar system, the galaxies. I'm not one of them.

I'm too worried about what happens to what I conceive of a soul when I die to really worry about everybody else.

Call an egoist existential, if you will, but I really don't care if there is life on other planets. Only in terms of what that means for God and the Earth right now. I suppose that's limited, but every time one tries to educate one's self about space, one feels very, very, very, very small. And futile without God.
I guess I’m not intellectually curious, as I view investing too much mental effort on either topic a waste of time.

All I can do is try to live a just and fulfilling life, as inconsequential as it may be. Gods and aliens are gonna do their thing regardless.

I guess I’m not intellectually curious, as I view investing too much mental effort on either topic a waste of time.

All I can do is try to live a just and fulfilling life, as inconsequential as it may be. Gods and aliens are gonna do their thing regardless.
I tend to agree. It's in finding the just, though, where one might find the importance of questions about ethics, morality, and God. Otherwise one cannot divine what is just, in my own opinion. The happiness principle fails to account for the psychopath and the sociopath.

That's all I really will get into. I generally agree with you.

I tend to agree. It's in finding the just, though, where one might find the importance of questions about ethics, morality, and God. Otherwise one cannot divine what is just, in my own opinion. The happiness principle fails to account for the psychopath and the sociopath.

That's all I really will get into. I generally agree with you.
Sure. But absent an eternity to learn every religion and philosophy, “common sense” schema evident in functioning societies work pretty well. I guess I don’t feel a need to reinvent the morality wheel when intellectual short cuts like the Golden Rule exist.

And if I already subscribe to the dark triad as my moral compass, Bible study and a telescope are unlikely to right the ship.

We managed to turn a pandemic political and about sides.   We could probably turn a UFO landing at the White House in broad daylight about sides somehow.  
This has been the scariest takeaway from 2020 for me. We can politicize how a virus acts and affects us. Nothing has been more eye-opening about the divide between otherwise smart people than this one has. Of course, I get the politics lurking underneath it, but I never thought it would affect theories of acquisition, transfer, and efficacy of certain types of care. Just mind boggling.

I mean, you expect the FDA to become an issue. You expect closings of all sorts to be an issue. But how a virus acts? I would never have expected that. My political world changed last year. It's been crazy.

There is definitely intelligent extraterrestrial life out there.

I am unsure if they have visited earth and been captured on camera though. Some of the military releases is somewhat compelling, i will give UFO's a 2% chance give or take of being ET's.

I believe in the science.  And the latest science tells us that there are around 36 advanced alien civilizations in our own galaxy alone.  And I don’t worry much about the speed of light.  Quantum entanglement has already proven that spooky action at a distance is real and occurs instantaneously, even across the universe.  So much we don’t know.

MTskibum said:
There is definitely intelligent extraterrestrial life out there.

I am unsure if they have visited earth and been captured on camera though. Some of the military releases is somewhat compelling, i will give UFO's a 2% chance give or take of being ET's.
While I am 100% confident there is life, intelligent life less so.  But when you do the math, it still seems likely.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
As a child of the 70s I recognize these videos very well.  I grew up on the same thing with Bigfoot.  Out of focus, quick views, never anything you could quite make out.

Weird how all those stopped once everyone had a camera with them at all times.

Not sure if someone's found a fun way to prank the military or the military is having fun with the rest of us or whatever, but those vids are straight out of the vault as far as I'm concerned.
Yep. The photos/video being unclear is a feature, not a bug.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/pentagon-ufo-videos/

Looking back, and after years of skeptically analyzing countless paranormal and fringe claims, I see a definite telling pattern to such evidence. Alleged evidence of such things is also in that perfect gray zone, enough to be tantalizing but never enough to positively identify what is being viewed. Why are all the UAP videos blurry and indistinct? Because the ones that are in focus are identified – and they are mundane, or at least not alien. In other words, they are unidentified not because they are alien, but because they are blurry. Blurry evidence may be enough to spark interest, and even sustain it for a while, but eventually you get tired of it. Eventually you realize that Sasquatch is Blobsquatch – the phenomenon is the blurry photos, not what is allegedly in the photos.

I would also now argue for the judicious application of Occam’s Razor – the simplest explanation, the one that introduces the fewest new assumptions, is this. If you have a program gathering together all the unusual videos, photos, radar signatures, and sightings, there are going to be some that, by chance, are particularly unusual and difficult to identify. Even in a world without alien spacecraft buzzing around, any such program is going to produce video like the ones we are seeing, ones that defy definite identification. There will always be a residue of “unnkown,” but unknown does not mean aliens, any more than it means extradimensional visitors, time travelers, psychic bigfeet, angels, or any other specific phenomenon.

Dickies said:
This is where I’m at too. Odds seem strong that there’s other intelligence life somewhere but very low that we will encounter them in my lifetime. 

WHY DO PEOPLE REALLY CARE ABOUT THIS?????????????????????????
You cared enough to enter the thread and post. Do you often enter threads you don't have an interest in just to say you're not interested or that its odd that other people are interested in things that you are not? 

Which makes less sense?

You cared enough to enter the thread and post. Do you often enter threads you don't have an interest in just to say you're not interested or that its odd that other people are interested in things that you are not? 

Which makes less sense?
I clicked to enter the thread cause I was interested in the topic.  And I posted within the thread with a couple comments regarding my thoughts.

YOU came in only to ask a dumb question and play board cop, which really belongs to only one guy here...so you tell me which makes less sense?

You guys are a riot.

WHY DO PEOPLE REALLY CARE ABOUT THIS?????????????????????????

Which makes less sense?
Not trying to speak for Mike but as he did post thoughts about UFOs here I’m guessing his post is about why do people care that this is posted in the political forum....

I clicked to enter the thread cause I was interested in the topic.  And I posted within the thread with a couple comments regarding my thoughts.

YOU came in only to ask a dumb question and play board cop, which really belongs to only one guy here...so you tell me which makes less sense?

You guys are a riot.
LOL, ok bud. You have an awesome day. 

Users who are viewing this thread