What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

unbelieveable... (1 Viewer)

Jake22

Footballguy
I can't believe after watching that game that anybody with a sound mind would think the refs had anything to do with the outcome...friggen unreal...calls went BOTH ways, that's how this game is played and this was a great one for sure...

I'm guessing it must be because the Steelers just won another title....just a guess.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a single day of the year when the Shark Pool is at its absolute stupidest. Then the Super Bowl rolls around and I remember that it's today.

[1]I can't believe after watching that game that anybody with a sound mind would think the refs had anything to do with the outcome...friggen unreal...[2]calls went BOTH ways, [3]that's how this game is played and this was a great one for sure...

[4]I'm guessing it must be because the Steelers just won another title....just a guess.
1. Of course the refs had a big deal to do with the outcome, as they do every game, to claim otherwise is lunacy. If they do not call roughing the passer on Dansby, if they call Holmes for excessive celebration after his go-ahead TD, if they eject Harrison for punching a Cardinal, if they do not call holding against Pittsburgh for the satefy, then the game would have gone differently. Not reviewing that last play was absolutely ridiculous and giving Arizona another shot with 5 seconds remaining definately could change the outcome. 2. Most seemed to go Pittsburgh's way, this is why people are complaining.

3. Past screw ups do not make current screw ups justified.

4. I'm fairly certain people would complain about bad calls regardless of who played in the Super Bowl.

It's really sad, after such a great season and the best Superbowl I have ever seen, this seems like the only thing people here want to talk about. I really hope it does not get picked up by the media, like the last time. I don't think it will.

My fellow Steeler fans, if you start to read the same crap as last time ("The Refs handed the game to the Steelers") just ignore it. It's really not worth responding to. Most of us felt compelled last time to spend months defending every little play to Seahawk fans and Steeler haters, and we didn't convince anyone because they didn't want to be convinced. And the Seahawk fans that knew better didn't complain in the first place.

4. I'm fairly certain people would complain about bad calls regardless of who played in the Super Bowl.
Not true. I don't remember any bad calls in last year's Patriots/Giants game, and considering how hated the Patriots are on this forum, you can bet your butt that those bad calls would have been talked about to death. Bottom line: When bad calls that directly impact a game happened, people are gonna be disappointed and talk about it. Most of us here love the sport and hate seeing the biggest game of the year tainted by bad officiating.

Not true. I don't remember any bad calls in last year's Patriots/Giants game, and considering how hated the Patriots are on this forum, you can bet your butt that those bad calls would have been talked about to death. Bottom line: When bad calls that directly impact a game happened, people are gonna be disappointed and talk about it. Most of us here love the sport and hate seeing the biggest game of the year tainted by bad officiating.
There were Patriot fans complaining about the Manning escape on the famous pass to Tyree. Some claimed in the grasp could have been called, but the bigger complaint was that a Giants lineman was blatantly holding/pulling Wilfork as Manning escaped.Ghost, you and I aren't going to see this game (and in fact many others) the exact same way, and I'm OK with that. However, I think we can agree that in-game and post-game discussion will vary depending on the surrounding circumstances. Some games just happen to have a lot of very close calls while others do not. The Harrison did he get in the end zone or not is a non-issue if he just gets one more foot. He went 300 feet! (plus weaving in and out) but if he goes 301 feet then there's one less potential question about the way the game was called.However, the amount of discussion just about the officiating is also influenced by what other storylines surface during the game. Part of the reason there was less discussion on individual calls last year may have been all the other issues there were to talk about. The Patriots 18-0 to 18-1 leading the way, but there was the Manning escape/Tyree catch, the awesome play of the Giants DL, etc.I think if this game happens without SB XL as a predecessor, there would be far less whining. More specifically, if it's the Ravens vs. the Panthers or something (take out the Steelers and the NFC West team making their first appearance), then I think there's far less discussion about the calls. The Steelers are a lightning rod team to some extent on their own, and to those who think SB XL was unfairly officiated, they clearly need less to get started down the same path again. I've long contended that SB XL officiating surfaced because the game was comparatively uneventful for a few big plays. If SB XL had ended like SB XLIII did, while officiating might still have made it into the media talk circles, it would have been shoved down the pecking order of big stories by the fourth quarter plays, especially the Cardinals punt and safety, Fitz's TD and obviously the final Steelers drive.

It's really sad, after such a great season and the best Superbowl I have ever seen, this seems like the only thing people here want to talk about. I really hope it does not get picked up by the media, like the last time. I don't think it will.

My fellow Steeler fans, if you start to read the same crap as last time ("The Refs handed the game to the Steelers") just ignore it. It's really not worth responding to. Most of us felt compelled last time to spend months defending every little play to Seahawk fans and Steeler haters, and we didn't convince anyone because they didn't want to be convinced. And the Seahawk fans that knew better didn't complain in the first place.
:moneybag: :thumbup:

you obviously didn't watch last year's superbowl..

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the poor Steeler fans, nobody loves your team like they should. Wow, it must be something like what Patriot fans have been going through all decade.

[1]I can't believe after watching that game that anybody with a sound mind would think the refs had anything to do with the outcome...friggen unreal...[2]calls went BOTH ways, [3]that's how this game is played and this was a great one for sure...

[4]I'm guessing it must be because the Steelers just won another title....just a guess.
1. Of course the refs had a big deal to do with the outcome, as they do every game, to claim otherwise is lunacy. If they do not call roughing the passer on Dansby, if they call Holmes for excessive celebration after his go-ahead TD, if they eject Harrison for punching a Cardinal, if they do not call holding against Pittsburgh for the satefy, then the game would have gone differently. Not reviewing that last play was absolutely ridiculous and giving Arizona another shot with 5 seconds remaining definately could change the outcome. 2. Most seemed to go Pittsburgh's way, this is why people are complaining.

:moneybag:

There were some questionable calls in that game, but nothing so obvious as to fan the flames of this debate. I for one, would have liked to see the Cards have that one last play. For someone without a rooting interest in the game, I would have liked to have seen it end on a last second bomb.....regardless of the outcome.

Alas, the call on the field was a fumble and if it went to the replay booth, that call would have most likely stood anyway. But you have to go to the replay booth regardless. The outcome of the game still hangs in the balance. That was my only gripe.

Anyway, congrats to the Stillers and their fans.

just because a game was poorly officiated in both directions, doesnt change the fact that it was poorly officiated. After a season of poor officiating, I was really hoping that they'd take extra care in calling penalties. It disturbs me that 2 calls were overturned by replay, which adds to the fact that the officials did not have a good game. The NFL needs to adopt the college style of replays.

just because a game was poorly officiated in both directions, doesnt change the fact that it was poorly officiated. After a season of poor officiating, I was really hoping that they'd take extra care in calling penalties. It disturbs me that 2 calls were overturned by replay, which adds to the fact that the officials did not have a good game. The NFL needs to adopt the college style of replays.
Those poor officials trying to hand the game to the steelers were foiled by that stupid instant replay rule. Gotta give them credit, they tried like heck tho

the only play i had issue with was the Dansby Roughing the Passer which was a joke of a call.

I'm not sure that the officiating was all that bad (although running into the holder was a ridiculous call), but I'm disappointed the Steelers won because for the first time since I've been watching football, they looked like punks. How many personal fouls were called on them? And how much preening around after making a play? Am I the only the one that saw Holmes preening and prancing around on that last drive, throwing the football in the wrong direction as his teammates were sprinting up to the line? What a joke. Now I know that happens all the time in the NFL. But in my opinion, it hardly ever happened on the Steelers. They were always a pretty classy team. Cowher would have ripped a couple of guys a new one after their penalties or antics. But I guess a new coach means a new attitude and that's too bad.

Steelers were lucky the Titans beat themselves against Balt or we would have taken care of them clowns again.

the only play i had issue with was the Dansby Roughing the Passer which was a joke of a call.
I agree but the running into the holder call may be the call wakes the conspiracy crowd up. I have never seen that called in 34 years of watching football. Also how is Harrison not ejected? Seriously that was about as low class as I have ever seen in a SB. I just think it is funny that Steeler fans will not even acknowledge that there were some questionable calls.

I agree but the running into the holder call may be the call wakes the conspiracy crowd up. I have never seen that called in 34 years of watching football. Also how is Harrison not ejected? Seriously that was about as low class as I have ever seen in a SB. I just think it is funny that Steeler fans will not even acknowledge that there were some questionable calls.
Well, to be fair some teams or players in all sports get calls. It's just the way it is. And the Steelers are one of those teams and they probably have "earned" it.

I think that most of the whining is fallout from the last Super Bowl, where the calls were way too one sided.

But yesterday, they were pretty even and some late critical ones went against the Steelers.

Any team that has to march the length of the field in little time left and does it with cluch plays, deserves the trophy.

Congrats Steelers.

I'm not sure that the officiating was all that bad (although running into the holder was a ridiculous call), but I'm disappointed the Steelers won because for the first time since I've been watching football, they looked like punks. How many personal fouls were called on them? And how much preening around after making a play? Am I the only the one that saw Holmes preening and prancing around on that last drive, throwing the football in the wrong direction as his teammates were sprinting up to the line? What a joke. Now I know that happens all the time in the NFL. But in my opinion, it hardly ever happened on the Steelers. They were always a pretty classy team. Cowher would have ripped a couple of guys a new one after their penalties or antics. But I guess a new coach means a new attitude and that's too bad.
ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

King of the Wolfies said:
:lmao:

Lord of the Rings said:
ConstruxBoy said:
ABSOLUTELY AGREE!
I posted elsewhere that Harrison's shoves were lame and punkish. I saw a little out of Holmes, too, but nothing that noteworthy in today's NFL (unfortunately). What else was there? Personal fouls are not new when a team is physical, and it's impossible not to notice the whining about personal fouls that were called on Arizona in the Shark Pool. It was a chippy game both ways. Harrison's punk moves were a disgrace, Holmes was mildly annoying. That's all that stood out to me. Maybe I'm getting immune.

I've never seen so much whining in my life by grown men than I have this past day on these football boards. Like a bunch of women. Pathetic.

Lord of the Rings said:
ConstruxBoy said:
ABSOLUTELY AGREE!
I posted elsewhere that Harrison's shoves were lame and punkish. I saw a little out of Holmes, too, but nothing that noteworthy in today's NFL (unfortunately). What else was there? Personal fouls are not new when a team is physical, and it's impossible not to notice the whining about personal fouls that were called on Arizona in the Shark Pool. It was a chippy game both ways. Harrison's punk moves were a disgrace, Holmes was mildly annoying. That's all that stood out to me. Maybe I'm getting immune.
I think you nailed it on your last statement. Anyway, my point was that I have seen enough Steeler games the last 20 years to say that was one of the "thuggest" games I've seen them play. Always been a tough team, with some people irked at questionable blocks (Clark, Ward, etc). But even when they had a guy who played with anger or emotion, like Greg Lloyd, they weren't thugs or punks. Noll or Cowher would never allow that. Seems like they're just like other teams now, which is sort of sad to me. Just an observation. I watched with Panthers, Giants and Dolphins fans and we all agreed. :unsure:

Voice Of Reason said:
Jake22 said:

:stalker: i dont get how saying the last play should have been reviewed further is crying. :shrug: and overall, the steelers definately got the calls. but that happens. the steelers offense had a helluva drive to go ahead in the 4th. i just dont see how the refs concluded that was clearly a fumble as quickly as they did.

Users who are viewing this thread