What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Underrated 80's/90's songs... (1 Viewer)

Mania - Throwing Muses

Cannonball - Breeders

Car Song - Madder Rose
:thumbup: other Muses: Walking in the Dark, Bea, Shark, Shimmer, Ruthie's Knocking, so many more

oher Breeders: Saints, I Just Wanna Get Along, Lord of the Thighs

other Madder Rose: Margaret, scenes from starbright, Black Eye Town

These are some of the better songs of the 80's that not many people remember.

The Producers - She Shiela

Tommy Shaw - Girls with guns

OXO - Whirly Girl

Why Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore? - Phil Collins (not all his stuff was bad, just the stuff he released for radio)

Good Times--INXS and Jimmy Barnes (Lost Boys soundtrack)

At this Moment--Billy Vera and the Beaters

Hurting Kind--Robert Plant

"Waiting For Somebody" and "Dyslexic Heart" by Paul Westerberg....

...actually, a lot of the Singles soundtrack should go on this list.

"Head On" - Jesus and Mary Chain (Pixies version of this song also rocks)

"Slash Your Tires" - Luna (freaking amazing tune)

At this Moment--Billy Vera and the Beaters
I always liked that tune as well.GB Family Ties
Back in the mid-80's I used to listen to Imus in the morning. He must have played this song 40 times per day, every single ####### day. To say this tune is underrated is a bit of a stretch.

Local H - Eddie Vedder

Smoking Popes - Need You Around

Material Issue - Kim The Waitress

Deep Purple - Ted The Mechanic

XTC - Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead

Killer Dwarfs - Through Animal Eyes

INXS - Heaven Sent

Oasis - Cigarettes and Alcohol

Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You

Faith No More - Last Cup of Sorrow

Back in the mid-80's I used to listen to Imus in the morning. He must have played this song 40 times per day, every single ####### day. To say this tune is underrated is a bit of a stretch.
This is true if Imus is your 'litmus test'. I didn't listen to Imus in the morning and thus didn't hear this song 40x/day. I agree it only got attention because of "Family Ties", but it still deserves more than a "flavor of the month" status.IMHO, Billy and the Beaters in general were overlooked in the 80's, though they did have a couple of memorable movie appearances--Buckaroo Banzai (Billy was Pinky Carruthers), Blind Date, and Billy Vera even had a cameo in The Doors; he was the obnoxious concert promoter in Florida that got hit in the head by the microphone Morrison was swinging during the show.

Rod Stewart - Passion

Marty Balin - Hearts

Greg Kihn Band - Breakup Song

Stephen Bishop - It Might Be You

IMHO, Billy and the Beaters in general were overlooked in the 80's, though they did have a couple of memorable movie appearances--Buckaroo Banzai (Billy was Pinky Carruthers), Blind Date, and Billy Vera even had a cameo in The Doors; he was the obnoxious concert promoter in Florida that got hit in the head by the microphone Morrison was swinging during the show.
IIRC, Billy was also in Beverly Hills 90210 playing a gangster.

IIRC, Billy was also in Beverly Hills 90210 playing a gangster.
Since I couldn't bring myself to watch Melrose Place :bag: and 90210, I never got into that show, so I'll take your word for it. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. :scared:

Last edited by a moderator:
There was also a short-lived group in the early MTV days called Roman Holiday.

Musically, they were a ska/swing fusion. Their videos were kind of silly, ala the british group, Madness. I remember that the lead singer wore a sailor's cap.

The one good song I remember was called Stand By.

Bow Wow Wow - Do You Wanna Hold Me?

Everyone knows "I Want Candy", but I thought this other tune was far superior.

Thought of a few others while working last night. Even thought they are probably known, I think every one of these songs are underrated.

B-52's- Rock Lobster (even though this album was technically released in 1979, the singles were released in 1980.) Dance This Mess Around was another good tune off this album.

ELO- Hold On Tight 1981

Dada- Dizz Knee Land 1992

Lou Gramm- Midnight Blue 1987

A-ha- Take On Me 1985 (Not to mention an awesome-for-the-time video that combined animation and real life action)

Cry Of Love- Peace Pipe 1993

School of Fish- Three Strange Days 1991

Benny Mardones- Into The Night 1980 The thing that I like about this song is everyone who I know that hears it always likes to sing along with it whenever it comes on (which is rarely), and no one ever knows who it is. What a great voice this guy had on this song.

I typically don't like Bob Seger, but he had a tune in the early 90's that I really liked...

Fire Inside - Bob Seger

I loved the piano in that tune.

Hooters - All You Zombies
The Hooters rule.Day by Day and And We Danced are also underrated.
Most people who know the Hooters, are limited to their very succesful Nervous Nights album.There are two awesome songs on their follow up album, although they didn't make much of an impact on the charts.

Satellite and Karla with a K.

Anyone who is a fan of their Mtv hits should definitely check these out.
Johnny B and Graveyard Waltz were also excellent tracks off that album.

Feel It Again - Honeymoon Suite

I'll See You In My Dreams - Giant

Dreams in the Dark - Badlands

ANYTHING - Dangerous Toys

Jeanny - Falco (RIP)

Shake My Tree - Coverdale/Page
Funny- I was going to say this one earlier, but I figured not many people woudl remember it. The guitars at the beginning and the end of the song are great.

Howard Jones- Things Can Only Get Better

Kim Carnes- More Love

Harry Connick Jr.- (I Could Only) Whisper Your Name

This is the most under-rated "Band" that comes to my mind. They just never made it to the Big Time, although they did have 1 album (I believe) go national. I saw them live locally too many times to count.

Duke Jupiter - songs include I'll Drink to You, Rock & Roll Band, This Is Japan.

Very obsqure band, with a unique sound. LINK

I also liked these, that didn't get much airplay here in NY...

Robin Trower - Too Rollin Stoned

VanHalen - Ice Cream Man

Starz - Pull The Plug

Steve Miller- Mercury Blues

Scorpions - No Pain, No Gain

Sammy Hagar-3 Lock Box

Billy Idol- Hot In The City

Shooting Star - Flesh and Blood

David Lee Roth- Yankee Rose, Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody

The Fixx- Saved By Zero

The Firm- Radioactive

Quarterflash- Harden Your Heart