What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (1 Viewer)

MacGuffin

In fiction, a MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or another motivator that the protagonist pursues, often with little or no narrative explanation. The MacGuffin's importance to the plot is not the object itself, but rather its effect on the characters and their motivations.

That's all the wall is.  A big MacGuffin used to push a narrative.  

I see this Senate vote on the president's national emergency more as a pro constitution and check on executive power rather tha. anti-Trump.
The Republicans who are voting with the Democrats today would be quite proud of you, because this is exactly what they’re trying to sell. 

Its laughable. This is Trump’s signature issue. He had a completely unnecessary government shutdown (which may have cost us far more than we know- see Boeing) and in order to save face he declared this completely fake emergency. This vote is a total embarrassment for Trump, it’s very much anti-Trump (and any Republican who votes against this bill should be embarrassed with themselves.) 

MacGuffin

In fiction, a MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or another motivator that the protagonist pursues, often with little or no narrative explanation. The MacGuffin's importance to the plot is not the object itself, but rather its effect on the characters and their motivations.

That's all the wall is.  A big MacGuffin used to push a narrative.  
The Congressional vote is itself a bit of a MacGuffin. It's just a plot device. It has no importance except to show its effect on the motivations of the characters involved.

The Congressional vote is itself a bit of a MacGuffin. It's just a plot device. It has no importance except to show its effect on the motivations of the characters involved.
I think forcing a veto is important.  not really important, but mildly important

Tweets saying Tillis flipped and will not vote NO on the resolution. I have no idea how the calculus played out here but this seems the worst of all worlds for him politically.

Tim, it's cute that you think Trump is "embarrassed" by this.  You have to know he's already created his own narrative on this, right?  Right?

So 41 Senators, all of them Republican, actually agree with President Trump’s claim that the situation on our southern border is an emergency. Or else they are simply too scared to defy him. Either way, how shameful. 

What happened to Tillis.?Supposedly was in favor of the resolution even when he spoke today.
In the latest edition in Profiles in Courage, Senator Thom Tillis, who wrote an OpEd on how his conservative principles could not allow him to approve this emergency, flipped his vote "after extensive talks with the White House."

With a veto looming none of this matters.  Hard to believe people think there's not a problem at the border.  Just recently, 400 migrants caught crossing the Arizona border in a 48 hour period.  

With a veto looming none of this matters.  Hard to believe people think there's not a problem at the border.  Just recently, 400 migrants caught crossing the Arizona border in a 48 hour period.  
It matters.  It all matters.  Nobody thinks that. 

That said, I don't want Trump to get his wall because I don't want the vile Russian agent to have a single day of joy.    

sure it matters.  elected officials should have to run for re-election on, and defend, their votes.

The process matters.

A documented rebuke of his attempt to go around Congress matters.

So wait...400 were caught...so the system worked without the wall?   Interesting.

Do you mean the 375 migrants in Yuma they dug under a fence but then were apprehended?

link

The largest single group of asylum seekers ever to cross into the U.S. tunneled beneath the border wall near San Luis, Arizona, on Monday, voluntarily turning themselves into Customs and Border Protection, according to the agency.

Migrants can be seen marching toward Border Patrol agents by the hundreds, according to video obtained by ABC News. Smugglers dug a series of seven holes, only a few feet long beneath the steel border fence, with hundreds going beneath the wall and a smaller number clambering over it, according to CBP.

Last edited by a moderator:
It matters.  It all matters.  Nobody thinks that. 

That said, I don't want Trump to get his wall because I don't want the vile Russian agent to have a single day of joy.    
So, you admit you find it more important to hate on Trump than to protect our border...got it.

It will probably matter to Cory Gardner in Colorado. He was barely hanging on and if his tweeter page is any indication he will be voted out.

It matters that Trump is having to veto legislation that rebukes his actions even when his own party controls the Senate.   Not only can Trump not get any legislation passed, he's having to fight off attacks from his own party now.   
How many vetos did Obama sign?  I believe this is Trump's first.

hang on....you can dig under it?????
poor section of wall.  I believe if they build it strong and deep, it would deter.  Not prevent, but deter.  As you find these holes you destroy them, but more importantly you need more than just a wall.  Technology and more border police also needed to protect the border.  I believe most understand you need more than just a wall.

So, you admit you find it more important to hate on Trump than to protect our border...got it.
Republican Senators Portman and Lee both spoke how they supported the wall and the need for it but on constitutional terms they opposed the delaration of emergency for it. That is what you call principles. I suspect most of the 10 other Republicans felt the same way

How many vetos did Obama sign?  I believe this is Trump's first.
The GOP controlled the House and Senate for the first two years of his presidency.  Had he vetoed any legislation, it would have been shocking.   

Obama vetoed a total of four pieces of legislation in two terms--the fewest of any President since 1880.   And none while the Democrats held the House and Senate.   The knee jerk "what about Obama" sort of blows up in your face there.

The GOP controlled the House and Senate for the first two years of his presidency.  Had he vetoed any legislation, it would have been shocking.   

Obama vetoed a total of four pieces of legislation in two terms--the fewest of any President since 1880.   And none while the Democrats held the House and Senate.   The knee jerk "what about Obama" sort of blows up in your face there.
DACA was illegal and unconstitutional. 

So 41 Senators, all of them Republican, actually agree with President Trump’s claim that the situation on our southern border is an emergency. Or else they are simply too scared to defy him. Either way, how shameful. 
was reading an article in the last week or so, I believe it was Ron Johnson from WI who was saying that while they didn't agree that it was an actual emergency, it was a vote either for Trump or Pelosi and he was voting with Trump.  Basically, an entire article that screamed PARTY OVER COUNTRY!!  absolutely sickening to read.  so while many don't agree with him, they will vote for the wrong thing if that's what the party (aka Trump) wants.  He mentioned that Trump was taking this personally so he had to vote with him. 

None of these people have any standing in the future to talk about executive power run amok.  

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

I look forward to VETOING the just passed Democrat inspired Resolution which would OPEN BORDERS while increasing Crime, Drugs, and Trafficking in our Country. I thank all of the Strong Republicans who voted to support Border Security and our desperately needed WALL!

#triggered

Users who are viewing this thread