What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unplugging - screen addiction (1 Viewer)

cheese

Footballguy
This might be a lame idea for a thread, but we have had some pretty “real” discussions on here and I thought others may have had this issue. 

Like a lot of you guys, I got in the habit of being on my phone all the time when I had way fewer responsibilities. I had my social life and work, but I also had a lot of time to kill on my couch.  Now, between my kids, house, etc I really don’t need to be spending so much time on my phone. Having my daughter tell me to get off my phone on Sundays or my wife telling me something for the 25th time because I’m “listening” while on twitter is getting old. I guess it comes down to I’m self-aware enough to know that it’s almost an addiction. Eating lunch with someone and checking my phone. Helping my son ride a bike, but my phone buzzes and I check it right away... embarrassing honestly.

So am I alone here? Anyone else really struggle with this?  Anybody have thoughts on how to do better at screen time so it’s not impacting their real life?

I leave my phone in the car if I’m out with someone for lunch. It really helps to focus on your friend. Then you’ll get annoyed that they are checking their phone so you will be more likely to leave your phone inside when you are helping your kid on his bike. Also turn off all buzzes and dings and rings and chimes. That noise drives my nuts. But take it with you to the bathroom. 

This might be a lame idea for a thread, but we have had some pretty “real” discussions on here and I thought others may have had this issue. 

Like a lot of you guys, I got in the habit of being on my phone all the time when I had way fewer responsibilities. I had my social life and work, but I also had a lot of time to kill on my couch.  Now, between my kids, house, etc I really don’t need to be spending so much time on my phone. Having my daughter tell me to get off my phone on Sundays or my wife telling me something for the 25th time because I’m “listening” while on twitter is getting old. I guess it comes down to I’m self-aware enough to know that it’s almost an addiction. Eating lunch with someone and checking my phone. Helping my son ride a bike, but my phone buzzes and I check it right away... embarrassing honestly.

So am I alone here? Anyone else really struggle with this?  Anybody have thoughts on how to do better at screen time so it’s not impacting their real life?
I started this here. Good to revisit.

You should the teens these days- they are bad. It is an absolute addiction and they can't regulate it. Parents are doing a real disservice to their kids with this. 

You should the teens these days- they are bad. It is an absolute addiction and they can't regulate it. Parents are doing a real disservice to their kids with this. 
Starting to get this from our 9 year old. Sorry, buddy - isn't happening anytime soon. Until he stops wandering around the house staring at his kindle, maxing out his time I wont even talk about it with him. 

Good read through the thread @gianmarco started. I liked where I was 9 months ago but sought improvement and I think I've done that. Out of structure is my problem, so I've just gotten in the habit of putting my phone in our room when I get home and I wont go get it til after the kids go to bed. 

Really? I love it. I drove home 3 12 year old girls from soccer last night after their game. Thought the 45 minute drive would be them giggling and yelling and talking about boys. 

I was pleasantly surprised when it was quiet because they were texting each other so I wouldnt hear their conversation. 

It was me and Lithium on Sirius for the 45 minute drive. It was awesome. 

Starting to get this from our 9 year old. Sorry, buddy - isn't happening anytime soon. Until he stops wandering around the house staring at his kindle, maxing out his time I wont even talk about it with him. 

Good read through the thread @gianmarco started. I liked where I was 9 months ago but sought improvement and I think I've done that. Out of structure is my problem, so I've just gotten in the habit of putting my phone in our room when I get home and I wont go get it til after the kids go to bed. 
This is my move :)

Sounds like it could be a problem just with apps where you get notifications.   I can see why that would peak your curiosity enough to cause you to check your phone.  Maybe just turn off notifications and just use the phone as just another form of entertainment when you have some down time.  

Users who are viewing this thread