What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unwanted nickname -- WWYD? (1 Viewer)

What would you do about unwanted nickname

• Don't say anything and let it go

Votes: 43 53.8%
  • Tell the teacher to please refer to her by her name

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Completely change your child's name on a regular basis to screw everyone up

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters
Chill. There's about a 99% chance your kid's friends are going to do something similar as she gets older. FWIW, I had a 7th grade basketball coach start calling me "Arnie" because he couldn't seem to remember my real first name. By the time I graduated from high school, virtually nobody (students, teachers, administration) called me anything else. Even my father and brother embraced it, which led to all of my cousins using it as well.  When I went to college, I thought I was done with it--until the day I moved into the dorms and discovered a kid who lived a block away from me at home and was a year older lived 6 doors doors down the hall.  As I aged, I understood it was a badge of honor: a nickname (assuming it isn't something designed to embarrass or humiliate like "stinky" or "fatso") is really a sign of friendship and respect.

So two people have done this?

as I said earlier, it seems like you let a lot of things get under your skin. If that’s happening when the kid is 3, I worry about the next 15 years 
Don't really understand your first question above or what you were trying to say with it. 

As for the rest, I'm not sure why you get that impression (whether from this thread or others), but even if things may come across that way, it really isn't that case.  You don't have to worry about the next 15 years, GB.

While I likely wasn't going to say anything anyway, reading enough things here to not bother with it.  Interesting that the voting is relatively close, however.

For those that just have to know, her teacher can keep calling her Soph without me burning it all down.

I know a woman who went by a shortened nickname her whole life, then at like age 25 announced to the world she wanted to go by her full first name from now on.  It took a little time, but it eventually worked. 

Guy I know through work named his kid a long and formal-sounding four syllable name, and he and his wife only refer to the kid by this name, thereby forcing the rest of us to do the same because it’s clear they really care and really want this to be applied over an otherwise very obvious and perfectly nice shortened two syllable version. 

Don't really understand your first question above or what you were trying to say with it. 

As for the rest, I'm not sure why you get that impression (whether from this thread or others), but even if things may come across that way, it really isn't that case.  You don't have to worry about the next 15 years, GB.

While I likely wasn't going to say anything anyway, reading enough things here to not bother with it.  Interesting that the voting is relatively close, however.

For those that just have to know, her teacher can keep calling her Soph without me burning it all down.
That’s a stupid nickname. I retract my vote. Go speak to the teacher.  

This times a million.  Nothing worse than the uptight nerd of a parent who corrects people for calling five-year old Michael "Mikey."  

Uhm, excuse me, it's Michael.

A thousand lols 
Also, along these lines, if I had a "Michael", I would never correct people that occasionally interact with him or just meet him if they called him Mikey.  Completely agree that's dumb.

But if a teacher who sees him everyday started calling him that regularly, that's a different story to me.  Maybe that's the part that I wasn't getting across when I even asked this.  I know there are people that have met my kids that have used a shortened name/variation/nickname or whatever and I've never given it a second thought. 

My 13 yo son has had nicknames related to his last name or other things from teachers or teammates or friends and I couldn't care less.  As others have mentioned, it's a character thing and my son has even enjoyed some of them.  Never thought twice about it.  But again, he's older, and that just seems different to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think a young kid's school setting is the place for a teacher to start using nicknames that a kid doesn't already use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a woman who went by a shortened nickname her whole life, then at like age 25 announced to the world she wanted to go by her full first name from now on.  It took a little time, but it eventually worked. 
A girl i went out with a few times in college went by wendy. Five years later she was going by gwen when i ran into her at an event. 

I was pretty shuked since i didnt even know her name was gwendolyn. 

So the name is Soph? Yeah you're making a big deal about nothing.

I call my son Jus short for Justin. I don't really think of either as nicknames just shortening them. 

Growing up my best friend was Andrew. He HATED Andrew. Went by Andy. 

After he grew up?  Made everyone switch back to Andrew. 

Also, along these lines, if I had a "Michael", I would never correct people that occasionally interact with him or just meet him if they called him Mikey.  Completely agree that's dumb.

But if a teacher who sees him everyday started calling him that regularly, that's a different story to me.  Maybe that's the part that I wasn't getting across when I even asked this.  I know there are people that have met my kids that have used a shortened name/variation/nickname or whatever and I've never given it a second thought. 

My 13 yo son has had nicknames related to his last name or other things from teachers or teammates or friends and I couldn't care less.  As others have mentioned, it's a character thing and my son has even enjoyed some of them.  Never thought twice about it.  But again, he's older, and that just seems different to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think a young kid's school setting is the place for a teacher to start using nicknames that a kid doesn't already use.
Usually the way to handle this is to refer to your child by full name and do it often in front of teacher.  Usually people pick up the cue and follow suit. Usually. 

Does it bother your kid? If so, say something. If not, then just move on. People call other people by nicknames, it’s not a big deal.

There is always one that does this it seems. My daughter is at her second day care. There was one teacher at the old place that called her by the shortened version. Everybody else asked what she goes by. At the new place everybody asked except one woman. There was another lady that did it for about two days but then she even asked because she said observed everybody else going by her full name. 

I never said anything, but I do find it slightly annoying. 

mr roboto said:
Growing up my best friend was Andrew. He HATED Andrew. Went by Andy. 

After he grew up?  Made everyone switch back to Andrew. 
Whoa. I think i know this guy. Is his name Andrew? 

My question is how are you aware of this?  Is your daughter telling you because she doesn't like it?

My wife's friend is Italian and named her son who is now 23 Anthony...my wife said to her that everyone will call him Tony.  Her friend said no way it will always be Anthony...well she was wrong.     I just saw Tony last week and he is a nice young man.

Maybe there are a bunch of girls named "Sophia" at the daycare, and so the teachers gave them different nicknames to distinguish them?

F that, it's your kid and you named her. Tell the lady "we prefer to call her...". When the kid's old enough to know what she wants to be called, she can call it. For now you're the parent and it's your choice. 

Sophie would be worse. My daughter’s 3rd grade teacher called her livie, short for Olivia. I didn’t love it. But the teacher loved my kid and my kid loved the teacher.  She volunteers in her class now as a 7th grader. While I didn’t love it, I didn’t care. 

Growing up, my god brother was Nicky. As he got older, that was childish. He demanded everyone switch to NICHOLAS. Then he went through some whack, rock a billy stage and insisted it was Nico.  Eventually it became, just Nick. But I still #### with him and call him Nicky and Nico when I feel it will annoy him the most. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sophie would be worse. My daughter’s 3rd grade teacher called her livie, short for Olivia. I didn’t love it. But the teacher loved my kid and my kid loved the teacher.  She volunteers in her class now as a 7th grader. While I didn’t love it, I didn’t care. 

Growing up, my god brother was Nicky. As he got older, that was childish. He demanded everyone switch to NICHOLAS. Then he went through some whack, rock a billy stage and insisted it was Nico.  Eventually it became, just Nick. But I still #### with him and call him Nicky and Nico when I feel it will annoy him the most. 
She does this sometimes too.  But not nearly as much as Soph.

gianmarco said:

Teacher is wrong here.  Soph is not an appropriate shortening.  Ask her to call your kid Thumper. 

apalmer said:
, I understood it was a badge of honor: a nickname (assuming it isn't something designed to embarrass or humiliate like "stinky" or "fatso")

Wait, those are bad?   

I need to rethink my life. 

Not my kid's name, but some examples:

Taylor -- Tay

Ellen -- El

Roger -- Rog

Brian -- Bri
None of your examples are remotely close to being mean spirited. Why would you feel like this is egregious enough to complain about? One of the biggest lessons that you can teach kids is to pick the fights that are worth fighting.   This just seems like a hollow reason to needlessly shelter your kids from something that is completely harmless.   Let it go IMO.  

apalmer said:
(assuming it isn't something designed to embarrass or humiliate like "stinky" or "fatso") is really a sign of friendship and respect.
Everybody in my circle of friends in college went by "Fatty". Oddly, nobody was fat.

Dated a Sophia a few years back. Seemed half of her old friends called her Sophie, the others Sophia. None Soph, though I imagine her sisters probably do from time to time as siblings sometimes do insane things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread