What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unwanted nickname -- WWYD? (1 Viewer)

What would you do about unwanted nickname

• Don't say anything and let it go

Votes: 43 53.8%
  • Tell the teacher to please refer to her by her name

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Completely change your child's name on a regular basis to screw everyone up

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters
Everybody in my circle of friends in college went by "Fatty". Oddly, nobody was fat.

Dated a Sophia a few years back. Seemed half of her old friends called her Sophie, the others Sophia. None Soph, though I imagine her sisters probably do from time to time as siblings sometimes do insane things like that.
I think it's a "Mama Mia" thing -- Meryl Streep's daughter is called Soph. And, yes,  :bag:

They call me "Hell"
They call me "Stacey"
They call me "her"
They call me "Jane"
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
They call me "quiet girl"
But I'm a riot Mary, Jo, Lisa
Always the same
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name

My wife's friend is Italian and named her son who is now 23 Anthony...my wife said to her that everyone will call him Tony.  Her friend said no way it will always be Anthony...well she was wrong.     I just saw Tony last week and he is a nice young man.
Does he work in a grocery store, saving his pennies for someday?

just starting calling the teacher brohan if it drives her nuts she is not a brohan and will take the hint and stop calling your kid nick if she likes being called brohan then she is a brohan and you should be honored that a brohan has decided to call your kid nick and just go with it take that to the bank bromigo 

Bluto: Kroger, your Delta Tau Chi name is Pinto.
Larry: Why Pinto?
Bluto: [burps] Why not?
Kent: What's my Delta Tau Chi name?
Bluto: Dorfman, l've given this a lot of thought. From now on...your name is Flounder.
The original story in National Lampoon explains why Larry was given the name Pinto.

I'm pretty laid back overall and most things don't bug me. But something of late has been getting to me and I'm curious if any of you would say anything.

In general, I have no problem with nicknames. However, for our 3 kids, we specifically chose names that don't have regular nicknames and we obviously don't use them at all. All 3 have pretty standard names and all are pretty short and easy/conventional names.

My youngest is 3 years old and one of her daycare teachers is constantly shortening her name and it drives me nuts when I hear it. I've yet to say anything because I don't want to be "that parent", but it's getting to the point where I'm considering it because she uses it more than her real name.

So, what would you do?
Get a life. #snowflake

gianmarco said:
Don't really understand your first question above or what you were trying to say with it. 

As for the rest, I'm not sure why you get that impression (whether from this thread or others), but even if things may come across that way, it really isn't that case.  You don't have to worry about the next 15 years, GB.

While I likely wasn't going to say anything anyway, reading enough things here to not bother with it.  Interesting that the voting is relatively close, however.

For those that just have to know, her teacher can keep calling her Soph without me burning it all down.
your fault for naming her Philosophy.

Have a buddy/fraternity brother named Michael but was always and forever known by his last night.  Some guys are just last name dudes.  This is one of them.  

Well, he meets a woman, falls in love, gets married and guess what she hates?  She hates his friends calling her husband by his last name.  And so now, as hard as it is for most of us, we address him as Michael.  However, when I use it, I say it with a very prim and proper enunciation, like Kit addressing his driver in Night Rider.  

For those who don't want to be a Richard.
I've got a cousin named Richard. For some reason he was "Dickie" when he was a little kid. Who does that to their kid? Anyway, when he got to high school, he decided he was only going to answer to Richard. He's about 8 years older than me. Do you know how hard it is for an 8 year old to remember you changed your name? 

Side not, I still almost always read gian as "G-N" instead of the correct pronunciation. Sorry about that.

No one in my family calls my son by his first name, but rather by his middle name - and most of the time it's his first initial "B".

His grandfather and uncle gave him a nickname based on his first name, that no one uses.

He doesn't seem to care either way.  In fact, for the last couple of years he has asked his teachers to use his first name in school.

So now this kid goes by either his First Name, the nickname of his First Name, his Middle Name, or the nickname of his Middle name....unless he is in deep trouble, then he gets his Full Name yelled at him (First, Middle, and Last Name).

So ya...don't worry so much over nicknames.  The kid will figure things out later.

I don't see the issue.  Other people are going to call your kids by different names for the rest of their lives.  Are you going to correct their friends when they call them by a nickname as well?

So two people have done this?

as I said earlier, it seems like you let a lot of things get under your skin. If that’s happening when the kid is 3, I worry about the next 15 years 
100% agree. Typically, the kids and parents I have coached on my sons’ teams that don’t like to be called Mike and insist on Michael aren’t the fun ones with lots of friends. It’s one thing if the kid’s nickname is derogatory but shortened? Damn that’s some serious helicopter parenting. I’m betting you’ll be emailing coaches and teachers every day on little Tay Tay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a buddy/fraternity brother named Michael but was always and forever known by his last night.  Some guys are just last name dudes.  This is one of them.  

Well, he meets a woman, falls in love, gets married and guess what she hates?  She hates his friends calling her husband by his last name.  And so now, as hard as it is for most of us, we address him as Michael.  However, when I use it, I say it with a very prim and proper enunciation, like Kit addressing his driver in Night Rider.  
That's weird on numerous levels.

First, it weird that your buddy's wife is so obsessed about his friends calling him by his last name that she demands they stop it.

Second, it's weird that he allows it.

Finally, it's weird that you guys honor her wishes.  I'd double-down on the last name just to spite her for trying to control my buddy and me.

All of you have no balls. Jesus

That's weird on numerous levels.

First, it weird that your buddy's wife is so obsessed about his friends calling him by his last name that she demands they stop it.

Second, it's weird that he allows it.

Finally, it's weird that you guys honor her wishes.  I'd double-down on the last name just to spite her for trying to control my buddy and me.
Her parents read a nursery school teacher the riot act for not fully saying her name, how did you expect her to be when she got married?

Honestly though, she’s gotta be really fun and I’m sure everyone looks forward to hanging out with them.

FYI, most people only give nicknames to people who they like, so I wouldn't make too much of it.

and my HOT TAKE!!! is just because you named her, that doesn't mean you get to own what people call her for the rest of her life. someday she may decide she wants to be called Moonshadow.  :shrug:

I had a girlfriend named Samantha who didn't like to be called Sam.  She would introduce herself as Samantha and people would still call her Sam though.  She didn't correct people or make a big deal out of it because she was a sweetheart, but it always bothered her.  Something about the A sound of Sam she didn't like, said it was like AAAAAAAAAA! where Samantha has a nice U sound to the A.

You should also say it in the same intonation and as frequently as the movie Lost Boys.

Michael

Not my kid's name, but some examples:

Taylor -- Tay

Ellen -- El

Roger -- Rog

Brian -- Bri
None of these are 3 syllables like Sophia. But I agree Sof sounds bad. It's like a sound I might make if I was sitting in the front row of a balcony or upper deck and accidentally dropped something.

Users who are viewing this thread