What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Up & coming receivers: Jameson vs Quentin? (1 Viewer)

soxfan

Footballguy
I currently have Jameson Williams and I'm willing to stash him for next year in our keeper league, but Quentin Johnston is available. Wondering if I ought to sit tight and be patient, or cut bait and grab Quentin instead. I can only afford one flyer spot, since I need my other WRs for this year.

I love Jameson's potential, but it still hasn't materialized yet. Quentin also has great potential, but who has more upside or potential value as trade bait for next year?

Thanks!

Process says take the younger guy, which isn't helpful in this instance as there's only a 6 month difference between them.

I'd keep Johnston. Don't feel great about either though (yet own both in my main league).

Can you package up Williams in a 2 for 1 trade and then pick up QJ?

Coming out of college Williams had a monster final season but he was a late bloomer. I think Williams is a better receiver but he's been a hot mess on the field. He might need another year and a true full offseason of being healthy to get his crap together. I've heard rumours that he has all the talent but he's missing something upstairs - drive, determination and a lack of wanting to put the effort it.

QJ on the other hand is a project who needs to work on his game. He's amazing after the catch but needs more reps and time running routes, hand placement, and just looking more fluid and natural catching the ball.

I want to say Williams but I think the answer might be QJ. I'd try to shop Williams tho if you can. Someone may still want to bite.

Johnston seems to be a much more polished WR.

I keep hearing "potential, potential" about Williams but watching him now it is difficult to envision. Just looks sloppy in all areas.

Interesting question, as I traded Williams for the #11 pick and then drafted Johnston with that pick. Would I reverse the trade today if I could? It's tempting but I think I would keep Johnston. (Granted I've already traded him anyway.)

I have owned both, got rid of Jamo. Being in Detroit it has been non stop red flag crap show for Jamo. I was not a QJ believer but I took him when he fell due to potential, situation, and was really impressed with an interview I heard with him. Seems like the type of guy with a good family background that will work on whatever he needs to do to succeed. Jamo gives me the complete opposite vibe.

Request to the OP, would you mind updating the thread title to something like "up and coming receivers: Q and Jamo" or something? otherwise this will get moved to assistant coach but imo this is a really good topic. To the question specifically, I think I would lean Q just because he has a better path to being the 1 for his team. ARSB isn't going anywhere for awhile for Jamo. But can't go wrong with either for next year and beyond imo.

I posted somewhere right before the season started that Q was not ready for the NFL and I had pushed him way down on my draft board, but he looks legit, skill wise.

I don't have either player but contemplated picking up both for the long term at some point. They're like the same player to me, both have really good raw talent but not enough football skills yet. both teams and their fans are talking these guys up and this past week very clearly Q Johnston was getting a lot of looks where he can catch and just go, highlighting his athleticism. Not enough of a history yet with Jamo for me to say if he's better or worse, but he's also slated to be and will get the opportunity to be the guy.

Other guys in their respective teams, not related to this specific topic, are Wilson for AZ and Mims for DEN. I would have put Mingo here at the start of the season but I don't think he's worth the same capital as these others.

I’m not even sure Jamo is a good football player. Doesn’t line up where he’s supposed to, tips off plays to the defense, drops every other on target catchable throw, runs his routes at the wrong depth, takes the wrong choice route, forgets the snap count.

But he is fast af.

Jamo gives me the complete opposite vibe.
I also feel this but it isn't the case. His family are apparently very grounded, former high level athletes, who were all about disciplined training routines and dedication to their craft.
I'm not familiar with his family so I will trust that they are grounded but from what we have seen of their son I think they should have grounded their son more growing up :oldunsure:. He gives off this vibe that he does not really care, it started on stage during draft night.

Thx for all the feedback. Granted there have been plenty of 1st round picks who never lived up to potential, but I kinda feel one of them will put it together by next year, but I can't tell which. I love Q's wingspan, and think he might become the better pick given another year. Plus as Keenan ages, QJ will have the chance to emerge. To answer an earlier question, I don't have to keep one. I won't need either for the stretch run, but looking ahead to next year, when I would trade a vet and keep youth, or trade QJ/JW - either way for draft picks.

Q is trending up, 1 game, and has a great QB. He caught 5 of 6, the one incompletion was a long pass. I think they continue to scheme for Q with bubble screens, short slants where he can use his size, and a few bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread