What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Urban Meyer - Free Agent (1 Viewer)

What Carroll did was happening on every campus in the country. I had the pleasure of living in SoCal/LA/SantaMonica from '00-'08, got to watch USC rise the entire time. I grew up in Miami/South Florida on the Miami Hurricanes, there were similarities plus the. Canes won in '01 with a dream team, they bent a few rules like everyone else, players get money put in their laps/hands in a variety of ways. 
They bought Reggie’s parents a house. That’s slightly more than bending a few rules. lol

This Urban Meyer hire has reeked of desperation from the start. Yeah the Jags are dysfunctional but this opening is the best since LaFleur went to Green Bay. These are the things the Jags have going for them:

-maybe the best QB prospect ever in their laps.

-extra picks in 1st, 2nd, 5th. 

-loads of cap space in a year where it matters a lot
-low expectations, so as a coach you’re getting three years 

-in a weak division

More Proof this turkey got a payday and will crawl with his tail between his legs from the NFL...wait a minute is he really going to get Trevor Lawrence? Because I mean there is a chance that Sasquatch saves the day and have a big say in all of this and if he's as good as I think he will be and the rest of the known Universe I mean there's a chance Meyer could actually win a few games, right?

This guy makes my skin crawl. 

Considering the cap room and draft capital they had, I really don't see them as all that improved. This is still a bottom 5 NFL team. I'd be kind of surprised if Meyer was still the HC in 2023.

Tim Tebow!

33 yrs old and ready to start at Tight End
The funny thing is, if Tebow had made the switch in say 2012 or so, I think he could have actually been a decent TE prospect. 

Well it's well known that TEs take time to mature. Sounds like Tim has been around plenty long enough.

Considering the cap room and draft capital they had, I really don't see them as all that improved. This is still a bottom 5 NFL team. I'd be kind of surprised if Meyer was still the HC in 2023.

The funny thing is, if Tebow had made the switch in say 2012 or so, I think he could have actually been a decent TE prospect. 
Maybe the Jags can start wearing lightning bolts on their sleeves. 

This is really giving me pause as to hopping on the Trevor Lawrence train. 
It was always Trey Lance. When you were a child, it was Trey Lance. As a teenager, Trey Lance. You grew up, Trey Lance. You moved to the suburbs, Trey Lance. You summered? Trey Lance. Yes, even in Urban areas, Trey Lance.

Oh dear word, did I just do all that to set up a horrible pun? Yes, yes I did. But the real point of this is Trey Lance.

2021 Week#1 will be the first JAX game I have any interest in watching since their 2017 playoff run. It wouldn't surprise me if Urban Meyer triples the season win total.

Not sure why Tebow is on this team, and I love Tim Tebow. Perhaps it’s the work ethic, perhaps it’s the offense (I doubt that, bc the offensive mastermind behind Tebow is coaching in Gainesville right now). 

Urban hasn’t really been the same coach since he had the breakdown that led to him leaving UF. He could still recruit which brought him success at tOSU, but getting through the big 10 was not the same challenge as the SEC. 

I see this ending up kind of like spurrier only it will take a little longer bc he actually has a solid qb.

I see this ending up kind of like spurrier only it will take a little longer bc he actually has a solid qb.
Coughlin had a pretty nice run in the 90's, but since the 90's I think there's a very real chance Meyer is the most successful coach in Jacksonville. That Coughlin run was decades ago.

I have a couple takes here. Either he doesn't end up making the final roster or he is there purely for leadership and to be a good (well probably better than good) character guy for the team.

Tim Tebow would have been, at minimum, my second or third string QB for the past ten years.

Give him a great defense, good line/strong running game and he would win you games. You guys underestimate leadership and toughness at the QB position. 

This philosophy works for almost all QBs but teams are built so piss- poorly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim Tebow would have been, at minimum, my second or third string QB for the past ten years.

Give him a great defense, good line/strong running game and he would win you games. You guys underestimate leadership and toughness at the QB position. 

Typically teams/players don't look to backups for leadership

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

How does one define leadership and toughness?

Tebow started for essentially one season - 2011.  As far as I can tell, he did not sustain any sort of meaningful injury during that season.

I believe Tebow had a reputation as a "tough" runner, but he led the league in fumbles and fumbles lost in 2011.

He did engineer a number of come-from-behind wins in '11.  But I can confirm as a Bears fan: sucking for the first 55 minutes only to pull victory from the jaws of defeat is not sustainable, it's not fun not watch, and it's not reasonable.

It is fascinating which players are labeled tough and soft.  Everyone knows about Cutler being "soft" when he failed to play on a sprained MCL, later confirmed as torn, in '10.  Brian Urlacher sprained his MCL in the final game of '11 and essentially missed the entire offseason, and no one blinked.  Perception is everything!

I also think Urban was a terrible hire but it still might work out because of Lawrence. 
This is what I think, too. And I think Lawrence will be in a position where we're forced to wonder what he could have been but for Meyer's playcalling and personnel decisions.

It's unlikely that Meyer will call plays. Darrell Bevell is the OC.
Right. But he'll certainly have an influence over the game plan and design, I would think. Plus, he's the last guy to make a decision about sending in the play. I don't know. I have little faith in Urban Meyer doing anything but flaming out a bit. Lawrence might keep him afloat with his natural talents, but it just seems like he's already out of his depth.

Now, he'll forget more football than I'll ever know, but I don't know, it just seems like he's out of his element.

"You're out of your element, Donnie!" - Walter, The Big Lebowski

BoltBacker said:
Coughlin had a pretty nice run in the 90's, but since the 90's I think there's a very real chance Meyer is the most successful coach in Jacksonville. That Coughlin run was decades ago.
Marrone got to the AFC Championship game, Del Rio had a couple of good teams and won a playoff game. I don't think there is any reason to think Meyer will be better than either of them. He's a QB, but this is still a very rough looking, bottom 5 roster.

Yenrub said:
Typically teams/players don't look to backups for leadership
Disagree wholeheartedly. Starters have more cache but there are leaders and follower on every team. There are varying degrees of leadership. Some by example. Others lead by being mentors and teachers. 

IMO, the Tebow thing is to build local buzz and interest in a team that really hasn't had much of that recently. Floridians will be interested to keep up with Tebow, and he brings a media circus with him wherever he goes. I'm not sure I see a leadership angle, as I am guessing the other players will all openly question why on earth is he there and what did he do to merit a roster spot. But if he sells some jerseys, puts a few fannies in the seats, and gets daily coverage for the team then it would be a win for the Jags.

Users who are viewing this thread