What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Urban Meyer - Free Agent (1 Viewer)

IMO, the Tebow thing is to build local buzz and interest in a team that really hasn't had much of that recently. Floridians will be interested to keep up with Tebow, and he brings a media circus with him wherever he goes. I'm not sure I see a leadership angle, as I am guessing the other players will all openly question why on earth is he there and what did he do to merit a roster spot. But if he sells some jerseys, puts a few fannies in the seats, and gets daily coverage for the team then it would be a win for the Jags.
I agree that is why they are doing the Tebow thing,  but I also think it's an example of Meyer being shortsighted.  He has a young team to develop and he thinks a media circus is good for that? He already had the thing with hiring his good old boy strength coach and now this. Doesn't make sense to me. 

I'll give him one thing though...he knows how to keep his team in the news that's for sure .

IMO, the Tebow thing is to build local buzz and interest in a team that really hasn't had much of that recently. Floridians will be interested to keep up with Tebow, and he brings a media circus with him wherever he goes. I'm not sure I see a leadership angle, as I am guessing the other players will all openly question why on earth is he there and what did he do to merit a roster spot. But if he sells some jerseys, puts a few fannies in the seats, and gets daily coverage for the team then it would be a win for the Jags.
You think a third string TE brings fans into the stadium? For how many games?

You think a third string TE brings fans into the stadium? For how many games?
I'm in NE. They haven't stopped talking about Tebow this week. When the Pats brought him into training camp 8 years ago, they had so many media requests they couldn't fit everyone in their media room and had to move press conferences outside.

More recently, we have been to Florida many times (our son almost went to UF). There was Tebow stuff everywhere still and the locals kept talking about him playing football (when he was playing baseball at the time).

So yeah, there is a ton of interest in Tebow still. The fact that we are talking about a guy that will be 34 years old to start the season, is switching to TE,  and hasn't played in a game since 2012 should be indicative of that.

I don't know how many tickets Tebow will sell (some I would guess), but the media coverage of the Jags will definitely go way up.

I'm in NE. They haven't stopped talking about Tebow this week. When the Pats brought him into training camp 8 years ago, they had so many media requests they couldn't fit everyone in their media room and had to move press conferences outside.

More recently, we have been to Florida many times (our son almost went to UF). There was Tebow stuff everywhere still and the locals kept talking about him playing football (when he was playing baseball at the time).

So yeah, there is a ton of interest in Tebow still. The fact that we are talking about a guy that will be 34 years old to start the season, is switching to TE,  and hasn't played in a game since 2012 should be indicative of that.

I don't know how many tickets Tebow will sell (some I would guess), but the media coverage of the Jags will definitely go way up.
I personally still don’t get the appeal. Is it only because Tebow is a hardcore Christian or am I missing something else? 

This is an excellent point that should not be overlooked and I will explain at least partially why there's a major disconnect. 

-First thing that needs changed/fixed is the mascot, period. There ain't no Jaguars in Florida and it really does nothing to pull people in or connect with the team. Miami has Dolphins, lots of them down here in open waters just off shore, not hard to find.  Do Buccaneers live in Tampa Bay? Who's to say but they celebrate pirates and buccaneers every year with the Gasparilla festival and Buccaneers are a big part of the history of Tampa Bay, it tied the city together. Jaguars??? I think the NFL, the owner who never named the team originally, and the fan base should work closely in renaming the team as a better reflection of Jacksonville. The Jags or Jaguars, it just doesn't make it easy to root for them. And the uniforms are hideous. The Jacksonville Makos/Sharks or some bird of prey that exists in Florida. We do have Florida Panthers but that's a hockey team already. 

-They continue to look half in and half out of Jacksonville with the owner's enthusiasm to play in London multiple times a year, there's been talk half a season could be played in London for them. There's extra stress right now loading up on to planes and flying across the ocean, I'm not anti-NFL abroad but it seems only a few franchises get their name called to play over in Europe during the NFL season. 

-Seond thing is you don't know Tim Tebow very well and the other players in Jacksonville at least this season will be too busy trying to save their own job to worry about who Tim Tebow is bumping by filling up a roster spot. Most in the NFL don't make it so I doubt he really is holding back anyone from becoming a star in the NFL. It didn't impact Kyle Pitts value in the draft. 

-I agree with you that this is a win for the Jags in terms of media and interest/buzz it creates. 

Tebow is the Kardashian of the NFL, who cares?

Man is this team a clown car show with Urban running it into the ground. Kahn's soccer team is about to relegated again - third time in the 8 years he has owned Fulham F.C. - and I would not be surprised if he is impatient with his $12M employee. He has gone through five managers in PL.

Then again, this guy gave Gus four years to amass 14 wins and Marrone finished last three of his four  years. But Urban has next level dysfunction vibes, this act is gonna wear thin fast IMO. Horrible hire. This is gonna be a painful period for a franchise that is addicted to misery. Fans deserve better.

-First thing that needs changed/fixed is the mascot, period. There ain't no Jaguars in Florida and it really does nothing to pull people in or connect with the team. Miami has Dolphins, lots of them down here in open waters just off shore, not hard to find.  Do Buccaneers live in Tampa Bay? Who's to say but they celebrate pirates and buccaneers every year with the Gasparilla festival and Buccaneers are a big part of the history of Tampa Bay, it tied the city together. Jaguars??? I think the NFL, the owner who never named the team originally, and the fan base should work closely in renaming the team as a better reflection of Jacksonville. The Jags or Jaguars, it just doesn't make it easy to root for them. And the uniforms are hideous. The Jacksonville Makos/Sharks or some bird of prey that exists in Florida. We do have Florida Panthers but that's a hockey team already. 
Fan contest back in the day to pick their name, right? I guess Florida Man liked the alliteration.

There’s no Giants in NYC - except for maybe Nerlins Noel.
Giant buildings, Giant machines, Giants in Business, there's lots of them. But that name goes back 75+ years it would seem and so it's not an issue. There's no Lions in Detroit except in maybe a zoo but the history starts so long ago it's a non-issue in these places.

Jacksonville is a redneck town all the way, that's Southern Georgia for the most part, Nascar and Sport fishing, that logo and mascot could not be any further away from the target audience, it was not thought out well. And what looked cool at first with the teal and black over time has become a very ugly blend with the gold and off gold color being a lot more prominent and I think they look atrocious most weeks. I would flush the whole thing and get new colors, new mascot, you got a generational QB talent finally and I would let the fan base know it's a new day in Jacksonville...but wait they hired Urban Meyer and are starting a 33 year old ex-QB at Tight End who has never played the position or seen any NFL action in almost a decade.  

Yeah the uniforms and mascot are the least of their problems at the moment I suppose but there's a lot of truth in what i am writing here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Giant buildings, Giant machines, Giants in Business, there's lots of them. But that name goes back 75+ years it would seem and so it's not an issue. There's no Lions in Detroit except in maybe a zoo but the history starts so long ago it's a non-issue in these places.

Jacksonville is a redneck town all the way, that's Southern Georgia for the most part, Nascar and Sport fishing, that logo and mascot could not be any further away from the target audience, it was not thought out well. And what looked cool at first with the teal and black over time has become a very ugly blend with the gold and off gold color being a lot more prominent and I think they look atrocious most weeks. I would flush the whole thing and get new colors, new mascot, you got a generational QB talent finally and I would let the fan base know it's a new day in Jacksonville...but wait they hired Urban Meyer and are starting a 33 year old ex-QB at Tight End who has never played the position or seen any NFL action in almost a decade.  

Yeah the uniforms and mascot are the least of their problems at the moment I suppose but there's a lot of truth in what i am writing here. 
Before we all get carried away, Tebow is far from a lock to make the final roster and no one has suggested he will be their regular starter. I don't believe he's officially signed yet, but I am guessing his contract will be for the league minimum with little or no signing bonus or guaranteed money. Essentially, he will be brought in for a tryout with very little risk or financial obligation from the team. Maybe he makes it through camp and ends up on the 53-man roster, but I doubt he will a) cost much, b) make the regular season roster, or c) be their starting TE. At this point he is famous for being famous. Who knows, maybe Meyer is looking at him as a player / coach, but I would be shocked if Tebow made any meaningful contributions on the field.

For comparison, when NE brought Tebow in as a potential TE conversion project, NE gave him $0 in guaranteed money so when they cut him they were not on the hook for anything and did not take any sort of cap hit. Eight years later, I can't see JAC doing anything different than what the Patriots did. By opening day, IMO, this whole thing will likely have been a blip on the offseason radar.

Before we all get carried away, Tebow is far from a lock to make the final roster and no one has suggested he will be their regular starter. I don't believe he's officially signed yet, but I am guessing his contract will be for the league minimum with little or no signing bonus or guaranteed money. Essentially, he will be brought in for a tryout with very little risk or financial obligation from the team. Maybe he makes it through camp and ends up on the 53-man roster, but I doubt he will a) cost much, b) make the regular season roster, or c) be their starting TE. At this point he is famous for being famous. Who knows, maybe Meyer is looking at him as a player / coach, but I would be shocked if Tebow made any meaningful contributions on the field.

For comparison, when NE brought Tebow in as a potential TE conversion project, NE gave him $0 in guaranteed money so when they cut him they were not on the hook for anything and did not take any sort of cap hit. Eight years later, I can't see JAC doing anything different than what the Patriots did. By opening day, IMO, this whole thing will likely have been a blip on the offseason radar.
Based on this thread title and the fact they are even thinking about how to make Tebow a part of the 53-man roster after almost a 10 year hiatus from any meaningful NFL games after he was run out of the NFL and one of the worst 1st round selections ever for a QB. 

You might understand why we are running this up the flagpole at the moment. 

-Some things we will be keying in on this season in regards to Meyer. Use of timeouts, challenges, awareness of NFL nuances and how flags are typically called, ability to mange the clock in the 4th quarter, his ability to accept blame for all the losses they are going to rack up this season. Number of players who land on the exempt list, those types of things. 

Based on this thread title and the fact they are even thinking about how to make Tebow a part of the 53-man roster after almost a 10 year hiatus from any meaningful NFL games after he was run out of the NFL and one of the worst 1st round selections ever for a QB. 

You might understand why we are running this up the flagpole at the moment. 

-Some things we will be keying in on this season in regards to Meyer. Use of timeouts, challenges, awareness of NFL nuances and how flags are typically called, ability to mange the clock in the 4th quarter, his ability to accept blame for all the losses they are going to rack up this season. Number of players who land on the exempt list, those types of things. 
No offense, GB, but it's the media and football fans that are making the Tebow situation way more of a thing than it really is. I lived the Tebow-mania experience in NE. There was very little chance he made the roster. As I said, the Pats gave him nothing financially for a tryout. It was a media circus, but the media doesn't make roster decisions. Some felt that BB was doing Meyer and Tebow a favor by trying to create some buzz and potential interest from another franchise to bring in Tebow for a look, as all involved already knew he was never going to make the NE roster.

Meyer isn't saying Tebow is a lock to make the roster . . . in fact, it's more like Meyer is hemming and hawing if he should even sign him to the 90-man roster. Thirty-four year olds don't walk onto an NFL franchise and stick to play a position they never played before (especially when they haven't played the sport for years). I doubt that starts happening here. It should not take long for the Jaguars to figure out that Tebow is not an NFL caliber tight end.

There may be a litany of things coming down the road to bash Meyer on this year, but ultimately I doubt Tebow will be one of them. I literally would be SHOCKED if he ends up on their Opening Day roster. I would be surprised if they even gave him a spot on their practice squad. I expect a similar outcome as his baseball career (people don't make the major leagues when they haven't played the sport in years . . . and Tebow never made it all the way up to the majors in the regular season).

I can't for the life of me understand what Meyer / Tebow / the Jags are hoping to gain by this dog and pony show, but I doubt it amounts to anything more than the equivalent of NFL clickbait. 

Tebow making the team or not isn't even the discussion.

The fact that the Jaguars brass is  considering him is. It gives the impression that they are out of their depth and don't know what it takes to make an NFL team go. It was the same impression that was given when Tebow was taken in the 1st by Denver. An impression confirmed when McDaniels was out after two years.

I’ve been in Florida most of my life and outside of Gainesville where people wear his jerseys I haven’t seen Tebow stuff in ages. Where are you seeing this at? 

I’ve been in Florida most of my life and outside of Gainesville where people wear his jerseys I haven’t seen Tebow stuff in ages. Where are you seeing this at? 
As I explained, we were at UF a year or two ago and in Gainesville and they might as well changed the name to Tebowville. I am sure the rest of the state is not as infatuated, but there he was still an immortal.

The fact that the Jaguars brass is  considering him is. It gives the impression that they are out of their depth and don't know what it takes to make an NFL team go. It was the same impression that was given when Tebow was taken in the 1st by Denver. An impression confirmed when McDaniels was out after two years.
Denver taking Tebow in the 1st was stupidity by the front office. Hiring McDaniels as head coach was stupidity on a new level.

Jags hiring Meyer ,if not for anything else,  puts fannies in the seats, and they can remove the 1/4 mile of hefty bags that cover the entire upper deck seating, and 1/3rd of the lower seating. thats why they hired Meyer, and are now kicking the tires with Tebow. Fla boys coming back. Gator connection. Fla plays in Jax from time to time. aside  from small pockets of 'The U' fans down here in south Fla, the entire state is Gatorland. hiring two of the biggest former U of F names to help bolster attendance in Jax is pretty very smart. 

that, and Meyer is going to absolutely crush it. solid coaching staff. Bevell is underrated as an OC. it was him and only him that picked R Wilson, leaving Carroll to say ' this is Bevell's project' basically leaving the OC on an island. he was one of a small handful of coaches to attend Wilson's pro day. he hand picked a 1st ballot HOFer and coached him well. that can't be overlooked. yeah he was eventually replaced, but isn't every other OC at some point? Kevin Gilbride got punched by Buddy Ryan for lousy play calling. bounced around quite a bit but put together two SB winning seasons with NYG with spectacular postseason efforts by the Giants offense during each SB run. 

on Joe Cullen's hiring as DC:

"Cullen, a 14-year veteran of NFL coaching, spent the last five seasons as the Baltimore Ravens' defensive line coach. This will be his first NFL coordinator position. The Ravens' defense during Cullen's tenure allowed the fewest yards in the NFL, allowing the second-fewest rushing yards per game and forcing the third-most takeaways in the league during that span."  - https://www.jaguars.com/news/official-cullen-defensive-staff-named

I'm not saying he'll be the return of  Jimmy Johnson, but he's a damn fine football coach.  I'm not entirely sold on the AFC South teams. Indy is too soft they win games the shouldn't and lose games they shouldnt. Titans are the same. Texans just plain stink. 

As I explained, we were at UF a year or two ago and in Gainesville and they might as well changed the name to Tebowville. I am sure the rest of the state is not as infatuated, but there he was still an immortal.
That’s any heisman winner in any small college town. Maybe not as infatuated but if you go to Tallahassee you’ll see plenty of Ward and Winston jerseys too. 

Nah, this is common. They bring guys that know the system. 

I'm not buying that Tebow is in great shape so he'll be a good TE not that there's a slash role for him.

I am, however, remembering he's a special man, with a great work ethic, and incredibly polarizing leader, excellent to have showing players "the ropes." 

I would bet $ he becomes an asst TE coach after getting released.

Meyer may make many bad decisions, this isn't likely one of them. Add to this that Tebow might take some press away from nitpicking Meyer and Laurence and...it's a pretty good move.

The Jags we're not that bad of a team on paper so I'm figuring there are plenty of attitude and work ethic probs that made them have such a bad record.

My Titans have been through this a few times and it's always shocking. Look how fast the shine came off Minshew. Is he a talent of two years ago or does he lack something to be able to improve? We're all wondering why they'd replace or sub Robinson now. Etc etc. Meyer's been around. He knows the house cleaning is coming. It all has to play out. They won't win this year but rebuild.

Idk that there is a better cheerleader to gather teammates to get on the same page than Tebow. Quite candidly he did that to America.

Years ago someone joked he should run for President and it still creeps me out that he could have probably won if he ran. Take a few minutes to think back on Tebow and look at highlights. It's unreal what we fell for and how he had us all on the bandwagon....until he didn't. I'm just glad he doesn't call me selling timeshares

If you ever wanted to make a team more collegiate, bringing in Tebow is certainly the antidote for anything professional. He might as well be wearing Belushi's generic "College" shirt from Animal House when he goes through his warm-ups. What a terrible quarterback. Decent enough guy, just terrible throwing the football. Maybe Meyer will bring back the jump pass with Lawrence or something.

So many people love college football. He was its zenith for some people. I'll never, ever understand it. An awkward QB who can't really throw? What's not to love?

Denver taking Tebow in the 1st was stupidity by the front office. Hiring McDaniels as head coach was stupidity on a new level.
This is about as strongly as I can disagree with someone ever on a post. McDaniels was arguably the most highly qualified coordinator candidate of the last 15 years. His 2 seasons before getting the Denver job, he called plays for the best offense in NFL history to that point in 2007, as part of the only undefeated regular season in 16 game history. Then he called plays for a top-10 offense that lost arguably the best player in NFL history in week 1. 

Its forgotten now, but McDaniels was still a pretty good play caller in Denver. He just wasn't equipped to be a HC at the time. He also had little to no talent on defense, other than Champ, which is what sunk him. But the offense pulled its weight his entire run there. Lets not forget 1400 yard Brandon Lloyd, and in retrospect, he was right about Cutler not being a franchise QB, he was just wrong about Tebow. 

Just because McDaniels didn't pan out, doesn't make it a stupid decision. Its a decision basically every other team who hired a new coach at the time would have made. 

Nah, this is common. They bring guys that know the system. 

I'm not buying that Tebow is in great shape so he'll be a good TE not that there's a slash role for him.

I am, however, remembering he's a special man, with a great work ethic, and incredibly polarizing leader, excellent to have showing players "the ropes." 

I would bet $ he becomes an asst TE coach after getting released.

Meyer may make many bad decisions, this isn't likely one of them. Add to this that Tebow might take some press away from nitpicking Meyer and Laurence and...it's a pretty good move.

The Jags we're not that bad of a team on paper so I'm figuring there are plenty of attitude and work ethic probs that made them have such a bad record.

My Titans have been through this a few times and it's always shocking. Look how fast the shine came off Minshew. Is he a talent of two years ago or does he lack something to be able to improve? We're all wondering why they'd replace or sub Robinson now. Etc etc. Meyer's been around. He knows the house cleaning is coming. It all has to play out. They won't win this year but rebuild.

Idk that there is a better cheerleader to gather teammates to get on the same page than Tebow. Quite candidly he did that to America.

Years ago someone joked he should run for President and it still creeps me out that he could have probably won if he ran. Take a few minutes to think back on Tebow and look at highlights. It's unreal what we fell for and how he had us all on the bandwagon....until he didn't. I'm just glad he doesn't call me selling timeshares
Most NFL players probably think Tebow is kinda weird.

Tebow should have been a TE-slash from the start as he is big and athletic enough.   Probably won`t make the final roster but good  publicity for the Jags,

Will be suprised if Meyer has success in Jax and it is not becasue he can`t coach.   There are reasons guys like Saban struggled in the NFL.  When you can`t get 25 of the top 100 players in the country all of a sudden it is more difficult to win. But Meyer does have the top QB prospect so that will help.

Tebow should have been a TE-slash from the start as he is big and athletic enough.   Probably won`t make the final roster but good  publicity for the Jags, Will be suprised if Meyer has success in Jax and it is not becasue he can`t coach.   There are reasons guys like Saban struggled in the NFL.  When you can`t get 25 of the top 100 players in the country all of a sudden it is more difficult to win. But Meyer does have the top QB prospect so that will help.
Because they can't coach. 

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer told reporters that first-round RB Travis Etienne will take all of his minicamp reps at WR. “Worst case scenario you have a running back that's elite with receiver skills,” Meyer said. Similar, it seems, to Le’Veon Bell in his prime.

:lmao:  
Getting reps at HB and WR would be great but only at WR..?

Urban is just making MoP's premise look better and better every day.

From the professional wrestling world. Yes, professional wrestling. In fairness, Shad Khan is an investor in the AEW. But still...Jax looking like the clown show right now.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10004310-video-urban-meyer-charlie-strong-help-chris-jericho-in-aew-double-or-nothing-match

Wait until they go hang forty their first week on some hapless souls and i have to eat my hat.
They do play Houston week 1

It is an interesting angle to think about is the NFL does do things for marketing purposes and to get fans in the stands.

So perhaps that is all this Tebow stuff is about.

It is an interesting angle to think about is the NFL does do things for marketing purposes and to get fans in the stands.

So perhaps that is all this Tebow stuff is about.
Rapoport said the chances of him making the opening day roster were 50/50. For the sake of all of us, I hope he is exaggerating to keep a story in the news for the rest of the summer. 

Vegas has JVL at 6.5 wins, Texans at 4.5 wins.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/win-totals/
Wait I can get Hou somewhere other than .5 wins?  I gotta call my bookie!

Rapoport said the chances of him making the opening day roster were 50/50. For the sake of all of us, I hope he is exaggerating to keep a story in the news for the rest of the summer. 
Is being an assistant coach considered "making the roster"?  Because I feel like that was the plan all along.

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer told reporters that first-round RB Travis Etienne will take all of his minicamp reps at WR. “Worst case scenario you have a running back that's elite with receiver skills,” Meyer said. Similar, it seems, to Le’Veon Bell in his prime.

:lmao:  
I think that's the best case scenario.

LOL. Our son was out at a bar in Columbus and ran into U.M. and threw down a couple of beers with him. Our son told him Trevor Lawrence was a bum. Sadly no talk about Tim Tebow. 

Somebody spent $20 of blind bid money on him in one of my leagues, lmfao

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Jacksonville Jaguars were fined $200,000 and head coach Meyer was fined $100,000 for unspecified OTA rules violations.

Those were the heftiest fines levied against the three NFL teams facing discipline, reported Schefter. Both the San Francisco 49ers and Dallas Cowboys were fined $100,000, and their coaches, Kyle Shanahan $50,000 and Mike McCarthy, respectively, were fined $50,000.

URBAN MEYER HC, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

The Jaguars, 49ers and Cowboys have been fined for OTAs violations, as well as stripped of future OTAs sessions.

All three teams and head coaches were fined, but the Jags' fines were double the other two clubs, with the team getting docked $200,000 and new head man Urban Meyer drawing a $100,000 reprimand. Meyer has been bringing the biggest "college coach swashbuckling into the NFL" energy this offseason, so it is hardly surprising he is one of the offenders. Whether Meyer, who is inarguably one of the greatest football minds in American history, can successfully make the transition to the big leagues is one of 2021's most fascinating storylines. He has gotten off to a rocky start, though Trevor Lawrence is going to provide a lot of breathing room. 

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

, San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 1, 2021, 4:08 PM ET

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Jacksonville Jaguars were fined $200,000 and head coach Meyer was fined $100,000 for unspecified OTA rules violations.

Those were the heftiest fines levied against the three NFL teams facing discipline, reported Schefter. Both the San Francisco 49ers and Dallas Cowboys were fined $100,000, and their coaches, Kyle Shanahan $50,000 and Mike McCarthy, respectively, were fined $50,000.
Any idea what they were doing wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread