What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rate The Urban Meyer Hire For Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

How well did the Jaguars do in hiring Meyer?

• Terrible. Could have done much better.

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Ok. Not terrible but not good.

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Good. Solid hire given realistic expectations.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Great. As good as they realistically could have done.

Votes: 8 8.9%

• Total voters
I have the Over/Under at about 2 seasons as well. Spurrier went 2(maybe less), Saban lasted 2, they grow tired quickly and don't really desire to be fired and try to bolt quickly. Atlanta had one that bolted overnight back to college football.
Other than Pete Carroll, has any coach been super successful in both college and pro in the last couple decades? Even harbaugh wore out his welcome and went back to school (and has since been worse)

Yeah, I don't really want to get sidetracked in an argument that goes "Saban, therefore [this result for Meyer]". Good point, renesauz. They're two different individuals. Perhaps that's too limiting too Meyer as his own man and it doesn't give Meyer enough credit here. Who knows what is in a man's heart from the get-go? All I know is that it doesn't look good so far and the track record for big-time college guys isn't so great at first blush.

Maybe Meyer bucks the trend, but maybe the recruiting aspect, which I also gently alluded to, is going to be his undoing, too. We shall see and only time will tell. I seriously worry about Trevor Lawrence's future, though.

Other than Pete Carroll, has any coach been super successful in both college and pro in the last couple decades? Even harbaugh wore out his welcome and went back to school (and has since been worse)
Agreed. One thing that often is lost in these discussion is how tough it is to make it in the NFL as a head coach. 

I don't have great confidence any of the 2021 new HCs will be good, much less great. It's a grind. 

I think for me, I was mostly fascinated by the hatred for Meyer and the jilted girlfriend narrative that's spun on Saban. But that's football and it's why it's fun. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. One thing that often is lost in these discussion is how tough it is to make it in the NFL as a head coach. 

I don't have great confidence any of the 2021 new HCs will be good, much less great. It's a grind. 

I think for me, I was mostly fascinated by the hatred for Meyer and the jilted girlfriend narrative that's spun on Saban. But that's football and it's why it's fun. 
It's definitely a grind. I think Smith can be good in Atlanta but his defense needs to step up and I have no confidence in that happening any time soon. Saleh and Staley were good hires, with Staley clearly having the better conditions for success. 

Urban Meyer’s quitting, particularly how he left Florida sours me on him. When you combine the arrogance of hiring the strength coach that he did with the drafting of ETN and then all the comments about him being a WR first, it is really easy for me to dislike him. 

Brandon Staley at the Chargers is one that I am looking at to have early success of this year’s crop of new coaches.

Piggyback off everyone else...

The guy just didn't do anything with the picks this year.  James Robinson was beyond serviceable and reaching to add his replacement was completely unnecessary in the first.  I think they could have added O-Line with that pick - Darrisaw picked 2 picks before their 25th and Teven Jenkins available when they picked 2nd.  The Jags defensive front 7 needs some holes filled and they opted to not do it.  

FWIW,

Albert Breer writes:

"In case you missed it, the new Jacksonville coach deployed the Clemson dynamo as a receiver at rookie minicamp over the weekend, and I think it’s more than an experiment. In fact, I think it’s one of the first clues to what Meyer is planning to bring with him from the college game. And I referenced it Saturday on Twitter, when I grouped Etienne together with former Florida star Percy Harvin, and ex-Ohio State stud Curtis Samuel...the position that Harvin and Samuel played was commonly referred to as “the H” (or H-back, though it’s not what you’d think of as an H-back from an NFL standpoint, outside of their involvement in presnap movement) at their respective alma maters. That’s a position that Meyer deployed with a player named Paris Warren all the way back at Utah. And the concept is one that, even all these years later, remains a forward-thinking one—that a versatile athlete can break the offensive huddle as “positionless,” and force the defense to adjust...when you consider that the Jags have James Robinson and Carlos Hyde already at the position, and that they were looking at a Harvin-type in Kadarius Toney before taking Etienne, the whole thing makes sense." 
:unsure:

Maybe Meyer bucks the trend, but maybe the recruiting aspect, which I also gently alluded to, is going to be his undoing, too. We shall see and only time will tell. I seriously worry about Trevor Lawrence's future, though.
Surely Lawrence signed off on this hire?  Unless Jax are idiots, we can assume Lawrence ran the draft and has complete control of the front office.

Surely Lawrence signed off on this hire?  Unless Jax are idiots, we can assume Lawrence ran the draft and has complete control of the front office.
I would be interested to know if Lawrence had any input at all in this. My guess is none other than letting him know. 

I would be interested to know if Lawrence had any input at all in this. My guess is none other than letting him know. 
I would say it's the typical QB pushing for maybe a certain player.  There's no way he's involved and has influence on every round and defensive players.

I'm pretty confident Burrows asked management for Chase (they prob would have taken him even without that), that Tua was asked if he liked Smith or Waddle better, and I'm confident that TL was the driving force behind the ETN pick.  That's probably the only pick he had any say on though, and even then it would be more of them doing a background check on ETN  or saying "we might take ETN, what do you think" and TL giving a really great reference for him and reasons why they'd work so well together in Jax. 

Users who are viewing this thread