What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How should the New York Jets move forward after losing Aaron Rodgers for the season in Week 1? (3 Viewers)

Did the Jets ever sign a Vet to back up Wilson, what if he gets taken out this week or next week or the Sunday after that?
the issue is that Wilson was the backup.
my guess is they will indeed sign somebody fairly quickly. they need to move quickly because it typically takes a good 2-3 weeks for a QB to learn enough of the playbook to be even remotely useful.
even then, you are likely running a stripped down version of the offense with a handful of special plays that the QB will be forced to learn (likely matchup dependant)

What happens is the Jets win and stay quietly 1-0 after the injury week 1
-Saleh says it's all Zach Wilson and they aren't going to trade or sign anyone
-Jets lose 2 games in a row and were absolutely awful on offense losing 15-10 to the anemic New England Patriots

This story doesn't end just because Saleh supported Wilson. The Jets have another 14 weeks/games to try and play thru, what should their goal be for the rest of the season?
Despite their shortcomings at QB in the NFL Drafts over the years, I think they should position themselves to find a future franchise QB in April

Last edited:
Reactions: LBH
What happens is the Jets win and stay quietly 1-0 after the injury week 1
-Saleh says it's all Zach Wilson and they aren't going to trade or sign anyone
-Jets lose 2 games in a row and were absolutely awful on offense losing 15-10 to the anemic New England Patriots

This story doesn't end just because Saleh supported Wilson. The Jets have another 14 weeks/games to try and play thru, what should their goal be for the rest of the season?
Despite their shortcomings at QB in the NFL Drafts over the years, I think they should position themselves to find a future franchise QB in April
2018 = draft a QB with a very high pick, he busts
2021 = draft a QB with a very high pick, he busts
2024 = ?????

They are in a really tough spot. You can see that this coaching staff is losing the team. It's obvious Hackett has rode Rodgers to get where he has. We saw what he did last year at Denver and now early in this season. Can the Jets afford to let this coaching staff go at the end of the year though, with Rodgers coming back? Not sure what the cap hit is, but I wonder if they just eat it next year (release Rodgers) and bring in a new coaching staff and clean house. Take the young the qb and do a quick rebuild. They still have a ton of young pieces and time to win.

Poor Saleh,
The reporter basically was asking about bringing in another QB before the season gets away from the Jets.
-"It's still early in the season" is perhaps the best quote from this presser.
:lol:

Last edited:
No idea if this is even possible but what about trading for Kyler? His time is done with Arizona with Dobbs looking good, plus they want to draft Williams from what I hear. So to me I would think they could make an offer for Murray for next to nothing capital wise at least. Not sure how much financially it would cost them, but he's young and the duel threat aspect can only help that offence.

No idea if this is even possible but what about trading for Kyler? His time is done with Arizona with Dobbs looking good, plus they want to draft Williams from what I hear. So to me I would think they could make an offer for Murray for next to nothing capital wise at least. Not sure how much financially it would cost them, but he's young and the duel threat aspect can only help that offence.
At 45M per year for Murray, I think they would have issue getting under the cap with both him and Rodgers on the team.

They really should take a flyer on Nathan Rourke. He looked good in preseason and he's on the Jacksonville practice squad. He was the best QB in the CFL by a long shot last year. They could get him for nothing.

I didn’t read through the whole thread but came in to post that they might want to think about seeing if Cousins is available. I don’t think the Vikes are going to resign him and they are 0-3.

Cousins would be a HUGE upgrade and could save the Jets season.

At this point, Mason Rudolph would be better than Zach Wilson. Offer the Steelers a 4th rd pick, at least try to win games this year. The old man will be back next year, Rudolph is on a 1 year deal, so no big deal contract wise. I feel bad for the Jets players.

I didn’t read through the whole thread but came in to post that they might want to think about seeing if Cousins is available. I don’t think the Vikes are going to resign him and they are 0-3.

But what do the Jets have to offer? No way they are giving up their first round pick next year when they already owe the Packers their 2nd rounder.

I don't think the Jets should circle the wagons and wait for Rodgers to recover and come back next year
What happens when Rodgers isn't ready to go next summer or has a set back with another body part?

The Jets have to be concerned about 2024/2025 as much as this year, they cannot become subservient to Rodgers or not being active in upgrading their current QB situation
Wentz called and was turned down
Matt Ryan called and was turned down

-The Jets pushed all their chips in with Aaron Rodgers
They didn't have the resources to go out and bring in a Gardner Minshew as the back up and be completely done with Wilson

Last edited:

But what do the Jets have to offer? No way they are giving up their first round pick next year when they already owe the Packers their 2nd rounder.
future picks. I don't think it would take a ton to get him (could certainly be wrong and if I am you walk away)...could always offer future picks, conditional picks but the Jets aren't winning anything with Zack at the helm. Josh gifted the Jets the first game of the year but they aren't going to win more than a handful of games where the defense can win the game with Zack at QB. So what do you do? circle the wagons and hope it miraculously gets better (not much of a plan) or do something to try and salvage the season?

I’d be thrilled if the titans gave up tannehill for Joe Tippmann (or other OL potential).

future picks. I don't think it would take a ton to get him (could certainly be wrong and if I am you walk away)...could always offer future picks, conditional picks but the Jets aren't winning anything with Zack at the helm. Josh gifted the Jets the first game of the year but they aren't going to win more than a handful of games where the defense can win the game with Zack at QB. So what do you do? circle the wagons and hope it miraculously gets better (not much of a plan) or do something to try and salvage the season?
I agree that they need to do something, but Kirk will command at least a 1st round pick. The Vikings do not have a backup plan, they need to re-sign Jefferson, and not having a QB would hurt those prospects tremendously.

I don't think the Jets should circle the wagons and wait for Rodgers to recover and come back next year
What happens when Rodgers isn't ready to go next summer or has a set back with another body part?

The Jets have to be concerned about 2024/2025 as much as this year, they cannot become subservient to Rodgers or not being active in upgrading their current QB situation
Wentz called and was turned down
Matt Ryan called and was turned down

-The Jets pushed all their chips in with Aaron Rodgers
They didn't have the resources to go out and bring in a Gardner Minshew as the back up and be completely done with Wilson

If they draft Rodgers' replacement while he's still under contract, he might be motivated to reel off two straight MVP seasons.

jets are in qb purgatory. rodgers will cost 35mm against the cap next year, so trading assets for a guy to play 10-12 games this year is pointless. also, nfl trades are complicated and rare mid season. when you miss on qb drafts within the top 5 overall, the franchise has a hard time recovering. wilson has a full guarantee at close to 10mm a year, jets wanted rodgers to play 2 years, be rid of wilson after his rookie deal and figure it out at qb down the line. this is what happens when you have no hope and are in the abyss. it’s all on the gm here, who seems to get a pass for connecting on his 2022 draft. if you truly wanted a wilson reset, you should have had a #2 and have wilson as qb3 all year. bad owner, bad gm, bad coach, bad stadium and people are surprised at the results?

If the Jets are serious about contending this year they need to trade for Cousins. If not then just keep feeding Wilson to the dogs and hope Diva Rogers can come back
next year. With the talent they do have do you want to throw a year away? They've been linked to a few washed up over the hill qb's,really? Go get Cousins if you REALLY want to
salvage this season

If the Jets are serious about contending this year they need to trade for Cousins. If not then just keep feeding Wilson to the dogs and hope Diva Rogers can come back
next year. With the talent they do have do you want to throw a year away? They've been linked to a few washed up over the hill qb's,really? Go get Cousins if you REALLY want to
salvage this season
Its just not realistic - Jets dont have a 1st or 2d to trade for 2024 yet and Cousins cap hit is huge.

JD seems to be ok standing pat - He must be cliueless as to how much worse this is going to get. It may cost him and Saleh their jobs when they pretty much had a mulligan after Arod went down

salvage this season
Its just not realistic - Jets dont have a 1st or 2d to trade for 2024 yet and Cousins cap hit is huge.

JD seems to be ok standing pat - He must be cliueless as to how much worse this is going to get. It may cost him and Saleh their jobs when they pretty much had a mulligan after Arod went down
agree w/ most of this, just would say not sure they're ok standing pat just that there aren't really too many options.

salvage this season

Then Jets fans should be prepared for a 3-4 win season

salvage this season

agree w/ most of this, just would say not sure they're ok standing pat just that there aren't really too many options.
Respectfully disagree - Wilson is historic bad. Like Jamarcus Russel/Ryan Leaf epic bad. If we are talking pure QB - Carson Wentz has done things that Wilson can only dream of.....he must be awful in the locker room to not get a call. Besides Went tho there are other options - Colt McCoy comes to mind.

Obviously the options are not good - but either one is a step up from Wilson and prevents a full out mutiny from the fans and team. I think most Jets fans have made their piece that its going to be a lousy season but in true Jet fashion there is almost no chance they are bad enough to get the #1 pick so might as well try to win until eliminated.

Not to mention stop Saleh from looking stupid every week defending Zach - I mean Joe freaking Namath who rarely criticizes anything green and white said to cut Zach before next game lol

salvage this season

Respectfully disagree - Wilson is historic bad. Like Jamarcus Russel/Ryan Leaf epic bad. If we are talking pure QB - Carson Wentz has done things that Wilson can only dream of.....he must be awful in the locker room to not get a call. Besides Went tho there are other options - Colt McCoy comes to mind.

Obviously the options are not good - but either one is a step up from Wilson and prevents a full out mutiny from the fans and team. I think most Jets fans have made their piece that its going to be a lousy season but in true Jet fashion there is almost no chance they are bad enough to get the #1 pick so might as well try to win until eliminated.

Not to mention stop Saleh from looking stupid every week defending Zach - I mean Joe freaking Namath who rarely criticizes anything green and white said to cut Zach before next game lol
i think the rodgers injury and woody’s incompetence save saleh and douglas this year, but they are clearly on notice. as a lifelong jet fan i find this organization to be comical, like i’ve said, it acts like it has some kind of cherished history. instead of becoming super bowl contenders somehow, how about making the playoffs, having a winning season or 2, drafting something functional?

this franchise has played 7 home playoff games in total, 1 in the last 24 years.

QB Trevor Siemian visited with the Jets.
After Zach Wilson’s latest disastrous outing in Week 3 against the Patriots, the Jets have to do their due diligence and bring in a free agent quarterback or two. Siemian, who started one game for the Jets in 2019 and got one start for the Bears last season, would be an upgrade over Wilson because he is a professional QB. Jets head coach Robert Saleh re-committed to Wilson after the team’s Week 4 loss.

salvage this season

I'm not a Jets fan,just a casual observer from the outside. The Namath comment was interesting. He's been the franchises biggest cheerleader and you're right,never has a
negative tone to his comments. Maybe it's time to listen to the old man in the house.

salvage this season

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, seems like we're kinda saying the same thing

A reckoning is coming.

"ESPN’s Rich Cimini reports the Jets players are unhappy with Zach Wilson starting.
Cimini stated that head coach Robert Saleh is “coming off as a Zach apologist, and that doesn’t play well in the locker room.” The Jets QB situation continues to unravel with Zach Wilson’s struggles. Cimini explained the team’s stout defense is especially irked and there is tension in the locker room. Trevor Siemian was signed, but that barely helps the QB issues without Aaron Rodgers. Wilson’s play has set the locker room on fire and Saleh has a decision to make about the non-improving third-year QB."

Look I cant blame them for not looking good against the Pats.
the Eagles also felt they didnt look good against the Pats in week 1. This is a very good defense and the jets wont be the first team to have a poor week against this defense.
I understand hes not where he needs to be as a player but its not like the team has any choice. Coach needs to stand by his QB if hes gonna bolster his confidence. Sure its prudent to bring in a QB. They need someone who can play if he cant. but the way they are going about their business reeks of desperation and the players and the team will pick up on this.

Why would Cousins waive his no trade clause to leave Minnesota?

If we are talking pure QB - Carson Wentz has done things that Wilson can only dream of.....he must be awful in the locker room to not get a call.
This baffles me - Wentz is out there for the taking for likely a bargain basement price. There's obviously something about Wentz that team brass can't get past to make them think he'd be no better than Zach. What that is remains anyone's guess - if it's team chemistry, there are enough seasoned veterans in there to keep him in line.

They have Rodgers contact next year, and 11 mill guaranteed--for Zach Wilson.
It's really bad
Thats the difference between the Jets and a quality franchise like the 49ers. They knew Lance was bad and sunk cost so they shipped him out eating the cap hit. Jets desperately trying to salvage ZW and the $. He has to be cut in the offseason. They could have upwards of $50M in cap space next year with some easy cuts. Time to move on

As for Wentz - Im still wondering how the heck they go with a clearly inferior QB in Semien. It doesnt make any sense so I have to assume there is something big behind the scenes we are not privy

It would be very easy to gloat about how this team has somehow clawed its way back to a 3-3 record. But that's not what this is about.....it's about how the Jets would proceed with Zach Wilson at QB. A few observations:

1. Zach was always going to be the only option. I stated as much earlier in the thread a few weeks ago. The decision makers never really considered any other options. They had to have seen something in training camp and in practices to lead them to that commitment.

2. The offense was set up for Aaron Rodgers. Everything from hiring Hackett as OC to bringing in Cobb/Lazard was all about Rodgers. They had to immediately shift gears to a Zach Wilson led offense. That was not going to happen overnight. Cadence, play design, tempo, etc. all had to be changed to take advantage of his skills (mobility in particular) and what he feels comfortable with. We've seen the offense slowly evolve from a Rodgers offense to a hybrid/Wilson offense.

3. The key thing is that Zach is getting real coaching at the QB position for the first time in his career. Not only from Hackett, but from Rodgers himself, who's taken Zach under his wings.

4. Probably the most important thing.....Zach had support of the locker room. There were reports of turmoil within the team that turned out to be completely false. Last season we saw the team turn on him publicly. I have no idea what happened internally between then and now, but those guys have been very supportive of him, on both sides of the ball. Garrett Wilson in particular has been extremely supportive. He's been in his ear (in a positive way) and encouraging him to keep his head up. Defensive players have done the same.

What all of the means for the rest of the season, who knows? I do think that the team made the best decision given the circumstances. My hope is that the bye week will give them time to clean up mistakes and give them a chance to continue making the offense more Zach friendly. If they manage to do that and improve on the horrible red zone play calling, this team has a real shot of making the playoffs.

This story has morphed again in a pretty interesting way imo, with reports that Rodgers wants to return to practice and is targeting December 24 as his return date. (Rapaport). In retrospect, I don't think anyone can blame the Jets management for how they handled the difficult situation presented when MOP started this thread. But how do they handle the remainder of this season and next?

Do they let him play in week 16 or 17 if the team is mathematically out of the playoffs?

Looking to the offseason and next year, do they keep Hacket, Cobb, Lazard, etc. and try to bring in other Rodgers' hand-picked friends like Adams and Bahktiari? Do they dare draft or acquire a potential successor quarterback knowing how sensitive AR can be about such things? How much input does AR get on draft night?

This is the story that keeps on giving - fantastic entertainment value regardless of one's tribal allegiances.

This story has morphed again in a pretty interesting way imo, with reports that Rodgers wants to return to practice and is targeting December 24 as his return date. (Rapaport). In retrospect, I don't think anyone can blame the Jets management for how they handled the difficult situation presented when MOP started this thread. But how do they handle the remainder of this season and next?

Do they let him play in week 16 or 17 if the team is mathematically out of the playoffs?

Looking to the offseason and next year, do they keep Hacket, Cobb, Lazard, etc. and try to bring in other Rodgers' hand-picked friends like Adams and Bahktiari? Do they dare draft or acquire a potential successor quarterback knowing how sensitive AR can be about such things? How much input does AR get on draft night?

This is the story that keeps on giving - fantastic entertainment value regardless of one's tribal allegiances.
I’d play Rodgers if he’s fully capable. If nothing else you get a couple games with your new QB before next year. (G Wilson owner here)

Do they let him play? No.

Do they keep Hacket, Cobb, Lazard, etc. and try to bring in other Rodgers' hand-picked friends like Adams and Bahktiari? Adams yes. Others no.

Do they dare draft or acquire a potential successor quarterback? It's unlikely they pick high enough to get a sure fire rookie QB - so no. Get someone that can help immediately.

It would be very easy to gloat about how this team has somehow clawed its way back to a 3-3 record. But that's not what this is about.....it's about how the Jets would proceed with Zach Wilson at QB. A few observations:

1. Zach was always going to be the only option. I stated as much earlier in the thread a few weeks ago. The decision makers never really considered any other options. They had to have seen something in training camp and in practices to lead them to that commitment.

2. The offense was set up for Aaron Rodgers. Everything from hiring Hackett as OC to bringing in Cobb/Lazard was all about Rodgers. They had to immediately shift gears to a Zach Wilson led offense. That was not going to happen overnight. Cadence, play design, tempo, etc. all had to be changed to take advantage of his skills (mobility in particular) and what he feels comfortable with. We've seen the offense slowly evolve from a Rodgers offense to a hybrid/Wilson offense.

3. The key thing is that Zach is getting real coaching at the QB position for the first time in his career. Not only from Hackett, but from Rodgers himself, who's taken Zach under his wings.

4. Probably the most important thing.....Zach had support of the locker room. There were reports of turmoil within the team that turned out to be completely false. Last season we saw the team turn on him publicly. I have no idea what happened internally between then and now, but those guys have been very supportive of him, on both sides of the ball. Garrett Wilson in particular has been extremely supportive. He's been in his ear (in a positive way) and encouraging him to keep his head up. Defensive players have done the same.

What all of the means for the rest of the season, who knows? I do think that the team made the best decision given the circumstances. My hope is that the bye week will give them time to clean up mistakes and give them a chance to continue making the offense more Zach friendly. If they manage to do that and improve on the horrible red zone play calling, this team has a real shot of making the playoffs.
I would love to hear your thoughts on Saleh as the HC in 2024, Hackett, the Jets' back up QB because Rodgers is not going to want anyone worth 2 spits as the back up...
-The OL and where they go from here, can they continue to improve the defense, does it need ay improvement?

Glad you like the thread, I felt terrible for the jets, mostly because I wanted the MIA-NYJ games to matter and they don't other than Miami losing their best Edge rusher on that wretched artificial surface that continues to take down star players form the jets-Giants and their opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread