What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How should the New York Jets move forward after losing Aaron Rodgers for the season in Week 1? (1 Viewer)

I just don't see how you can look at Dalton and Wilson, and choose Wilson. I realize Dalton isn't Rodgers, but he's at least an NFL qb. People are forgetting how very very bad Wilson has been. With a defense as good as the Jets, there is real value in a proven NFL veteran who can recognize defenses pre-snap and knows when to throw the ball away. Wilson was running backwards 20 yards in panic yesterday.

Regardless of how the Lance situation ended, you have to give the 49ers credit for accepting their mistake and moving on. They didn't sit Lance behind Purdy, because they knew he wasn't the guy. I'm not sure how you can justify to the locker room that you think you can win with Wilson. As an organization you've already stated you can't by acquiring Rodgers. They should have traded him in the off season and brought in, or drafted another guy.
Red Rifle to the Rescue!
I see your point, it's valid but I also can understand why folks are wanting Wilson to start next week
What if the Jets manage to win?

Dallas is only about a 9 pt favorite right now
I'm shocked it's not at least 13-14 right now.

Rogers seems willing to mentor Zach Wilson. IMO Wilson is the best option. With the Jets defense they can be a run heavy team. Wilson is good enough to exploit play action and or trust Garret to make the contested catch. I believe the team will rally behind Zach.
I think Rodgers' last great act in the NFL might be mentoring Wilson into being a solid QB.

If not, there are about 8 first round quality QBs in next year's draft. See if you can get a Dalton, Bridgewater, or Brissett for nothing, but definitely no reason to give up any draft capital for anybody.
Don't want to shock anybody, but as good as the Jets are, they probably wouldn't win a Super Bowl with Dalton or Bridgewater coming in with no training camp.

Best route is hope WIlson can take step forward and keep your draft capital.

Maybe worth noting that the Jets reportedly can't trade their 2024 first round pick because it remains part of the conditional compensation for Rodgers. So even though he's definitively out for the season and the 65% benchmark can't possibly be triggered, the conditions of the trade are assessed at season's end and until then the pick is technically tied up. I expect they could perhaps petition the league for a ruling or maybe re-work something with the Packers to get it freed up if necessary.

What about Aiden O' Connell? Las Vegas is listing him 3rd Emergency QB. He looked sharp in preseason.

I thought about this already and I think he's on the 53 man roster and I can't imagine the Raiders will part with him cheaply.
cheap price to pay if sb bound.
With Aiden O’Connell??
yes. I think Super Trooper is better than Wilson by a mile. All they need is a game manager and I think O' Connell can do that better.
he probably could be better, but that is a far cry from getting them to the super bowl.
ok hang with Wilson and see what that brings. :shrug:
i'm not saying o'connell wouldn't be better, i'm just saying it would be almost impossible to get to the super bowl with him.

32 teams passed on O'Connell multiple times and he's a 3rd stringer behind Bryan Hoyer. Plus, he's too ugly to be a QB in New York.
Pretty sure Eli set that bar pretty low, GB.

If I were a Jets fan, my vote would be to stick it out with Wilson for another year.

Gotta disagree. Can't watch them trot Wilson out there one more year.
I understand why you guys have given up on Wilson. But is there actually a better option out there? I don't mean a guy who might be just barely better if he had all summer to learn the playbook and get to know his teammates. I mean better than Wilson even after joining the team during Week 2. I don't think such a player exists.

Maybe I'm biased because I mostly remember Wilson playing decently against the Bills every time we've seen him. Kind of like how Bills fans just assumed that Ryan Tannehill sucked because he always sucked against us specifically when he was a Dolphin.

If I were a Jets fan, my vote would be to stick it out with Wilson for another year.

Gotta disagree. Can't watch them trot Wilson out there one more year.
I understand why you guys have given up on Wilson. But is there actually a better option out there? I don't mean a guy who might be just barely better if he had all summer to learn the playbook and get to know his teammates. I mean better than Wilson even after joining the team during Week 2. I don't think such a player exists.
Good stuff

Question: If the Jets had lost and if the team bended and started to fold a bit in the 4th knowing the media would be understanding with Rodgers and his Achilles, there's a question coming I promise, what would the narrative be today? Because I don't know that we wouldn't be hearing New York crying loudly to tank for the USC QB or what could turn into a very juicy Top5 area with several names and Heisman candidates entering the picture.

I'm surprised we're not already hearing some fan bases wanting to lose as many as possible without going winless and get their franchise QB. Rodgers turns 40, he's not the franchise QB.

Bridgewater

seen this one mentioned a few times here

not happening IMO - that is their guy

courted him for 2-3 months (was busy with a newborn), he's a big part of the weekly prep and a great locker room presence

Campbell had him in New Orleans 2018-19; team went 5-0 when Brees was hurt

stakes are too high this year to not have a contingency plan

I'm surprised we're not already hearing some fan bases wanting to lose as many as possible without going winless

Oh yeah, I'd be all about losing and thought we would be in the Caleb sweepstakes if we started Wilson for the rest of the year, but every NFL talking head today that I hear thinks they can win some games with him because of their defense and running game.

I disagree, but I'll defer to the experts on this one. I personally think they're going to lose, lose hard and ugly, and that there will be a borderline mutiny on the team regarding the quarterback. That was my first thought last night. Heck, Elijah Moore requested a trade in the middle of a win streak last year because Zach can't get open guys the ball. Garrett Wilson was openly backing Mike White and other quarterbacks over Wilson. What's that portend?

I could easily be proven wrong. It has happened many times before. Maybe it's still the shock of the Rodgers injury, but I don't understand the positivity towards Wilson. He has had the worst passer rating in the NFL the past two seasons. He is the first quarterback to do that back-to-back since the 1957-58 season. Even if he improves what does that mean? He goes from worst to 10th worst? People are questioning if there is a better option than Wilson. It seems like every option is a better option.

For those looking for a trade, here are the last 5 in-season QB trades across the entire NFL:

Oct 2021: Joe Flacco from PHI to NYJ

Sept 2019: Josh Dobbs from PIT to JAX

Oct 2017: Jimmy G to SF from NE

Sept 2015: Matt Cassel to DAL from BUF

Oct 2011: Carson Palmer from CIN to OAK

So 5 in the last 12 years, and only Palmer and Jimmy G were really of any substance at the time. While it’s not inconceivable, QB trades are just infrequent at this stage of the season and in today’s landscape. There’s a reason why teams just don’t trade their backups.

Any addition to the Jets stable will likely come off the street.

Last edited:
Rogers seems willing to mentor Zach Wilson. IMO Wilson is the best option. With the Jets defense they can be a run heavy team. Wilson is good enough to exploit play action and or trust Garret to make the contested catch. I believe the team will rally behind Zach.
I think Rodgers' last great act in the NFL might be mentoring Wilson into being a solid QB.

If not, there are about 8 first round quality QBs in next year's draft. See if you can get a Dalton, Bridgewater, or Brissett for nothing, but definitely no reason to give up any draft capital for anybody.
Don't want to shock anybody, but as good as the Jets are, they probably wouldn't win a Super Bowl with Dalton or Bridgewater coming in with no training camp.

Zach, come into this tent with me. Be prepared for total enlightenment. And to **** and vomit at the same time. Which it seems like you’re pretty familiar with, just based on the way you play on the field.

saleh saying the jets are committed to wilson means 1 of 2 things; 1) saleh really has no idea what he is doing 2) the jets know they have 0 other options and are pumping up wilson hoping against hope he can be usable.

last year wilson was so bad he wasn’t playable. i mean, the jets benched him in favor of chris streveler.

saleh saying the jets are committed to wilson means 1 of 2 things; 1) saleh really has no idea what he is doing 2) the jets know they have 0 other options and are pumping up wilson hoping against hope he can be usable.

last year wilson was so bad he wasn’t playable. i mean, the jets benched him in favor of chris streveler.
Exactly. Wilson only had 2 games last year in which he thew more tds than ints. It can't be understated how bad he is.

What is the alternative? Bring a guy in off the street who:

A) couldn’t land a backup job in the offseason;
B) is not in any kind of football shape; and
C) has no reps with the team;

Unless they can deal for someone they have no option but to roll with Wilson.

Looooong time Jets fan here.....I'm talking pre-Richard Todd days.

Of all the options available, I'd rather roll with Zach over all the retreads out there. The only viable backups would be Brissett and Jameis.

The team as constituted is a very close knit group. I really do believe that comes into play here. These guys were absolutely shell-shocked 4 plays in and found a way to pull it out against a very good Bills team. That showed me a lot. They're tough, they're gritty, and they will run through a wall for this coach.

Key points:

- Zach came in cold and was obviously shell shocked. He had no first teams reps coming into that game. I'd say he did pretty well considering the circumstances. He has made some strides since the arrival of Rodgers and Hackett. He's been mismanaged since the day he was drafted. That's on Saleh and the front office. Throwing him out there from Day 1 as a rookie did not do him any favors. This is the first time in his career that he has someone to actually help with his development. I wish we had the luxury of him sitting a year or two, but the time is now and I really believe he's up to the task. He will make mistakes, but I can't imagine it being a repeat of last season. He seems to be much more in control and his decision making has definitely improved. It's all mental with him. He has all the physical tools. It's the between the ears part that has to come together for him.

- The defense is going to be even better than last season. There's an almost endless supply of pass rushers and the secondary is improved, particularly at safety. Whitehead is decent, but I think Tony Allen is going to be a star. The LBs are active, the corners are top notch, and the team on the whole are very sure tacklers.

- The OL was definitely a weak point and has been a weak point all summer. That being said, this group is serviceable. They haven't had much time together as a unit and I'm hoping they will begin to gel as the season progresses. I do worry that Brown is cooked and Becton will end up at LT as some point, Luckily, they can run block. It's the pass protection that needs to improve big time. That Dallas front is gonna be a PROBLEM this week.

- I love Saleh and I feel he is the perfect coach to lead them through this difficult team. He has the respect of the players and as I said earlier, these guys will run through a wall for him. He has the perfect temperament for NY. He handles the media very well and the job certainly doesn't appear to be too big for him. I really want them to do well so that he sticks around for a bit.

I know Wentz is the Nickleback of NFL QB's but he would be a quick cheap option, either way they must bring someone in. He can move an offense, interview him and get a feel if he has grown up some and will not be a locker room cancer.

Of all the options available, I'd rather roll with Zach over all the retreads out there. The only viable backups would be Brissett and Jameis.

The team as constituted is a very close knit group. I really do believe that comes into play here. These guys were absolutely shell-shocked 4 plays in and found a way to pull it out against a very good Bills team. That showed me a lot. They're tough, they're gritty, and they will run through a wall for this coach.

Key points:

- Zach came in cold and was obviously shell shocked. He had no first teams reps coming into that game. I'd say he did pretty well considering the circumstances. He has made some strides since the arrival of Rodgers and Hackett. He's been mismanaged since the day he was drafted. That's on Saleh and the front office. Throwing him out there from Day 1 as a rookie did not do him any favors. This is the first time in his career that he has someone to actually help with his development. I wish we had the luxury of him sitting a year or two, but the time is now and I really believe he's up to the task. He will make mistakes, but I can't imagine it being a repeat of last season. He seems to be much more in control and his decision making has definitely improved. It's all mental with him. He has all the physical tools. It's the between the ears part that has to come together for him.

- The defense is going to be even better than last season. There's an almost endless supply of pass rushers and the secondary is improved, particularly at safety. Whitehead is decent, but I think Tony Allen is going to be a star. The LBs are active, the corners are top notch, and the team on the whole are very sure tacklers.

- The OL was definitely a weak point and has been a weak point all summer. That being said, this group is serviceable. They haven't had much time together as a unit and I'm hoping they will begin to gel as the season progresses. I do worry that Brown is cooked and Becton will end up at LT as some point, Luckily, they can run block. It's the pass protection that needs to improve big time. That Dallas front is gonna be a PROBLEM this week.

- I love Saleh and I feel he is the perfect coach to lead them through this difficult team. He has the respect of the players and as I said earlier, these guys will run through a wall for him. He has the perfect temperament for NY. He handles the media very well and the job certainly doesn't appear to be too big for him. I really want them to do well so that he sticks around for a bit.
Good points. Hard to find too many silver linings in all this, but at least the organization can once and for all decide whether Zach has a future here. Assuming Rodgers would have been here for two years, Zach would have been the caddy and two years later the team wouldn't know a whole more about what he can do than they do now. Basically a Jordan Love situation and having to decide on his fifth year option. Unfortunately, Zach has a lot more trial by fire than Love did, but that's what comes with being drafted #2 overall.

Key points:

That's how I see it too. Glad to see Jets fans seeing it this way.

I certainly want to believe that. And I agree that there aren't many great options.

But I didn't believe in Wilson when they drafted him and I certainly don't now. He actually completed a couple of short passes the other night (a change from normal) and made a couple of nice throws downfield, but the old issues are still there. The INT was a total staredown and the touchdown to Garrett was an atrocious throw where he was bailed out by an incredible effort.

Will he be better than last year.....probably. that's obviously not a high bar. But if he has a couple of bad games, the fans will start booing again. And I think when that happens, he'll completely melt down and go from "bad" to worst qb in the league again. I just don't think he has the makeup

That's a fair point.

I think it's mostly two things.

1. They're banking on Wilson being improved. That's possible.
2. The other options are worse at this point in the season. I'd say that's likely.

This. Have a feeling Wilson takes a step forward and becomes something competent. We give up on QBs far too quickly in todays NFL

We give up on QBs far too quickly in todays NFL
How many QBs came into the league highly drafted, played as bad as Wilson did and made themselves into above average starters? Or won a playoff game? (Honestly asking)
IN the last 15 years? NOt many...because the NFL stopped giving them time to get better
yet they tend to stick around as backups. We could argue chicken and egg here.

Key points:

I just don't see it. Wilson played the entire pre-season and the previous 2 years. He didn't just "come in cold". The OL is definitely a problem. I do think Wilson is 2-3X more mobile than Rodgers at this point. So the team can at least move the pocket to gain him some time. Your last point on Wilson is what concerns me the most "It's all mental with him." Agreed. I just don't think he has the capacity to dissect defenses and make quick decisions.

I'm on record as being completely out on Wilson. I haven't really seen anything from him in 2 years that suggest he'll even be an average NFL qb.

9/11, running out of that tunnel with the American Flag at MetLife, it sent chills up my spine which is why it made it all the harder to watch it unfold Monday Night

Half of the teams in the NFL if not more would couldn't overcome this type of injury. Most NFL teams that lose their starting QB are pretty much done for the year

Key points:

I just don't see it. Wilson played the entire pre-season and the previous 2 years. He didn't just "come in cold". The OL is definitely a problem. I do think Wilson is 2-3X more mobile than Rodgers at this point. So the team can at least move the pocket to gain him some time. Your last point on Wilson is what concerns me the most "It's all mental with him." Agreed. I just don't think he has the capacity to dissect defenses and make quick decisions.

I'm on record as being completely out on Wilson. I haven't really seen anything from him in 2 years that suggest he'll even be an average NFL qb.
the milano pick is all you need to know about wilson. he just doesn’t see simple things. he has an above arm, but he has no feel for the position. no touch. i watch the jets religiously and i find it amazing that wilson has had no plays designed where they fake a handoff left and he designed rolls right. or where he bootlegs. he is athletic and elusive, but the jets don’t use that at all. the game plan with wilson will be simple….literally and figuratively. they won’t allow him to do anything remotely dangerous. draws, screens and safe. the jets will try to play 0-0 games. that is who wilson is. every so often he’ll make a brilliant throw and he’ll do something that shows talent, but too often he’ll run backwards 30 yards, bang a ball off a guy’s helmet who is 5 yards away and gain 7 yards on 3rd and 9. can you make the playoffs….yeah, expect anything more…..absolutely not.

We give up on QBs far too quickly in todays NFL
How many QBs came into the league highly drafted, played as bad as Wilson did and made themselves into above average starters? Or won a playoff game? (Honestly asking)
goff and alex smith?
Goff was a pro bowl QB in his second season.
Smith and Tannehill are good examples of a player taking longer to develop into quality starters.

To rely on an offense led by Zach Wilson with Nathaniel Hackett calling the plays seems ludicrous. Did we not just see this in Denver last year with a different Wilson?

Hackett was Rodgers boy, because he let Rodgers run what he wanted. They need a qb who can push back and challenge the OC.

To be fair to Hackett, he did have a lot to do with Blake Bortles taking the Jags to the AFC title game that was closer than many may remember.

I just feel badly for Wilson and NYJ because they have to face the Cowboys in Dallas. The Dallas defense looked like the 1985 Chicago Bears. Gllllllllĺll
And sometimes you make it to the Finals as an 8-Seed, doesn't mean you don't try and poach another teams' best player to improve your chances of returning.

I think you quoted me in error here......if not, wtf?

Half of the teams in the NFL if not more would couldn't overcome this type of injury. Most NFL teams that lose their starting QB are pretty much done for the year

Honestly, other than the Ravens and 49ers I’m not sure any team could make it far if they lost their starting QB. Jets are among the next group that just might be able to overcome.

9/11, running out of that tunnel with the American Flag at MetLife, it sent chills up my spine which is why it made it all the harder to watch it unfold Monday Night

Rodgers' had some very curious things to say about 9/11 according to DeShone Kizer. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-9-11-deshone-kizers/07eb6f300f1572e6e44a6f94

To simply add some drama: Jets do not get a new starter, end up with a top 15 pick next year w AA-ron rehabbing and then take a QB in the Draft causing more drama in NY

Honestly, other than the Ravens and 49ers I’m not sure any team could make it far if they lost their starting QB. Jets are among the next group that just might be able to overcome.
yeah, take any "good" team and get rid of their starter for the rest of the year. They're generally screwed.

To simply add some drama: Jets do not get a new starter, end up with a top 15 pick next year w AA-ron rehabbing and then take a QB in the Draft causing more drama in NY

The odd thing about Rodgers is that not only does drama seem to follow him, but his drama seems to beget more drama. Its like whack a mole where an issue pops up, is seemingly resolved, but then another pops up somewhere else. Anyone expecting (or hoping) he will quietly ride off into the sunset is mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread