What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How should the New York Jets move forward after losing Aaron Rodgers for the season in Week 1? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
There's a Jets' team thread but I don't think it's fair for folks to pile on in there
Last year I launched a Tua thread when he was sustaining concussions that seemed to help folks discuss and get some things off their chests

There are not many names of folks walking the streets that are going to help this situation and then you have funny names like Brady, Kaepernick and perhaps Jake Plummer while we're at it
Personally, for better or worse I think they should roll with Zach Wilson and ride out the storm but the fact is, Jets have a Championship Defense and they need a leader at QB.
Wilson looked like a scared kid last night but he did manage the game in the 2nd half

I heard media heads today say the Jets became irrelevant when Aaron Rodgers was lost early in the game last night.
So many moving pieces here including, Saleh, the Cap, a juicy QB class building for '24, but the Jets defense is too good for them to be a Top 3-5 pick...but it would be their best move

-Matt Ryan came up in several circles and around the TV circuit last night and today, not sure if that's the right move.
I would hate "football life" this morning if Tua were on the shelf for the season or an extended period of time, it's not a good feeling
I'd love to send Mike White back to the Jets, he looked terrible in camp.

What say you?

Last edited:
What about teams that are only going to get so good with what they have at QB?
Maybe the Broncos should consider moving Russ Wilson and get Sean Payton a young talented prospect at QB in '24.
Ryan Tannehill might be the spark the Jets need, Titans are going nowhere this season
Sam Darnold and Geno Smith are off the list for obvious reasons

Jameis WInston
Jacoby Brissett
Carson Wentz

All roads come back to Zach Wilson
If the OL is as bad as they appeared, the Jets might need more than Zach Wilson at QB
Imagine the kid actually looks decent in coming weeks

Call the Lions about Teddy Bridgewater?
Maybe the Panthers would let the Red Rocket go

I like the Jameis call too. He was good the last time he got a sustained runout.

It's Jameis and Dalton as their best options if you ask me. Ryan looked totally washed last year. He'd get killed behind that line.

They'd have to give up draft capital for those guys, though, and who knows how much the other teams will want and how much they're willing to expend.

If not Jameis, I’d go to bring Flacco back: (1) he knows offense, (2) if current plan is to further develop Zach, he can, at minimum, come in and be a sounding board for Zach since Flacco is familiar w/ Zach / O.

Rumors of ARIZ tanking for the top pick. I haven't followed things closely but could Kyler Murray be had at a reasonable price and would he be healthy enough to play later this season?

I don't think it will be anyone splashy or expensive if they try the upgrade. It will be somebody's backup ala Brissett/Bridgewater/Dalton/White.

Like to start with they simply can't successfully replace Rodgers. Interesting mention of Tannehill. Would they move him after week 1? Prolly not. Winston might work. I'd prolly shoot for Winston and reluctantly settle on Wentz. I agree Ryan looked washed, but a heavy running team with great defense could work. Brutal day for Jets fans to have this discussion.

It'd probably be a high price (future 1st?) but Arizona is clearly tanking, maybe Kyler Murray is available? It'd potentially be a long-term fix as well.

I personally think I'd rather stick with Zach Wilson than go after Jameis Winston. I don't see any playoff contenders (Commanders, Lions) giving up their backups cheap, and can't see the Titans or Broncos just giving up after week 1 losses. I hate to say it, but the most reasonable answer is probably Wentz. We did see him have some success running a run/defense offense in Indy in 2021, and this Jets D is much better than that Colts one was.

Most realistically, they probably just bring Flacco back.

If not Jameis, I’d go to bring Flacco back

No. That makes sense, but it's an awful signing. Flacco, when he played, was terrible and looked like he didn't want to be out there.
Disagree — no idea how Flacco looked last year but: (1) the OL is healthier, (2) Flacco would make better decisions / wouldn’t have the “deer-in-the-headlights”-aura, (3) Garret’s splits w/ Flacco were reportedly much better than w/ Zach, (4) prior point + healthy Breece + healthy OL —> much better O, (5) would come much cheaper.

Of all the names mentioned so far I really don't see an upgrade except for Winston. My question would be with our current team who can we win a Super Bowl with?
I fear the answer is "nunavum"

They have what looked on paper like and in the game like a special defense.
They need to explore any shot at a sincere QB but resign themselves to the likelihood of a game manager like ol Trent Dilfer.

I have long thought Wilson was a bust so I don't care what happens w him. I don't even care to discuss if he's worth something like Trey Lance's return fetched from the Cowboys.

I loved Randall Cobb in college. I would put him at QB some of the time this week as the game manager. Maybe he throws five times a half. Desperate, I'd rather him over Wilson.

Backup-I can't recall who are the practice squad QBs. I saw DTR mentioned yesterday but I thought he was active. Regardless, steal someone off a PS that played well this summer.
Chad Kelly played well in preseason and everyone had him as a joke. He was excellent in the CFL. Maybe him.
Guy that was top college QB and never got a shake with Eagles last summer. Maybe him.

Longtime love for McGough- like Baker Jr in a lot of ways. Wins when backs against the wall. Firey and fun. Makes questionable decisions when no expectations but somehow can win big games. USFL MVP.

Starter-
Some veteran. Flacco seems a fine choice. Chase Daniels.
Wentz is mistake prone and plays scared he's done. Foles hasn't looked good in years.
They can afford to trade a little depth on D for Teddy or someone but it'll have to be low value like him being signed late.

My favorite QB not in the NFL has been Jordan Taamu for years now. He has never gotten a sincere shot in the NFL. He rocks in these minor leagues and has improved on everything everyone criticized him for in college. He works out with NFL WRs every off-season. Poise, a lot of poise to him. He sits in pocket, under pressure, he'll buy time and sometimes even get all set again. Savvy style to him that's just a bit different better than most. I'd put him with my rookies but not be surprised if he starts.

Again, veteran barely throwing. Slants and screens when he does throw. Maybe sign a kicker in case theirs gets tired. 😊 Completely on the game manager angle here with their backs and defense. I don't care that much if they can throw well unless a rookie catches fire. Vets just manage it

I don't think it will be anyone splashy or expensive if they try the upgrade. It will be somebody's backup ala Brissett/Bridgewater/Dalton/White.
I see a lot of discussion about potential trading partners, but trading QBs these days doesn't happen very often.

In the NFL, backup QBs are like most types of insurance - you sure as heck hope you don't have to use it, but you also can't just get rid of it.

If the Jets do make a trade, IMO it will be for a 3rd stringer or someone on a team's practice squad. More likely though, it will be a retread off the street.

Rumors of ARIZ tanking for the top pick. I haven't followed things closely but could Kyler Murray be had at a reasonable price and would he be healthy enough to play later this season?
I wondered this same thing
My next question or thought is what is Murray actually worth?

I see a lot of discussion about potential trading partners, but trading QBs these days doesn't happen very often.

In the NFL, backup QBs are like most types of insurance - you sure as heck hope you don't have to use it, but you also can't just get rid of it.

If the Jets do make a trade, IMO it will be for a 3rd stringer or someone on a team's practice squad. More likely though, it will be a retread off the street.
Fair points in that it will be even further down the ranks than you might think unless they pay up to a team that knows they don’t really need their backup to stay in playoff contention

Kyler is the most interesting name. He's definitely available. His big money does not kick in until NEXT season. (Bigger question is whether a team wants to commit that type money to him long term)

Was out at Cards camp several days. Kyler did nothing (attended days both beginning and at end of camp). Only way he's playing this season is if it's for another team.

Wentz seems like best bet for cheapest cost. I think Flacco (or someone acquainted with a past with Hackett) is the most likely option to be brought in and backup Zach.

Rogers seems willing to mentor Zach Wilson. IMO Wilson is the best option. With the Jets defense they can be a run heavy team. Wilson is good enough to exploit play action and or trust Garret to make the contested catch. I believe the team will rally behind Zach.
I think this is a good answer
I also remember last season which makes me pause
The irony if Wilson can manage enough games to help them into the Playoffs

Certainly i think they need an upgrade and I like the idea of trading for Dalton. This team is good. They just need a little talent there.

Too bad this wasn't two weeks ago and they could have traded for Lance

Tom Brady talk is fun to talk about. And I think he could excel there. But it seems like the logical thing is the obvious thing - roll with Zach Wilson.

He was a first round talent evaluation. He's seemed to prosper being mentored by Rodgers. He led them to victory last night (with a lot of help from defense and special teams).

If Geno Smith can lead Seattle, I wouldn't be shocked to see Wilson do well with this roster. They're loaded.

I wondered this same thing
My next question or thought is what is Murray actually worth?
I don’t think Murray is an option unless Rodgers retires first

Teams make contract magic happen all the time but Kyler’s contract looks massively prohibitive for an acquiring team. Kyler is guaranteed like $65MM in 2024 & 2025. About half of the guarantees don’t kick in until the start of the league year in 2024, but anyone trading for him isn’t cutting him that soon especially since they’d already be on the hook for $35 some odd million in 2024.

Abandon NFL, dominate USFL.

If they don’t take this route, it’s gotta be Wilson. Either he’s a disaster (most likely) and maybe they can get Williams or Maye, or he shows improvement and they continue along on the hamster wheel.

I like the Jameis call too. He was good the last time he got a sustained runout.
Hot garbage lol.

Zach Wilson is the play.

All these “veterans” are dead meat behind that OL.

It’s over. If Tua gets hurt for the Fins…it’s over.
Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow all these teams are all in. You lose your QB…..come on guys….there is only so many QB’s that are even capable of leading a team to a title.

Pipe dreams.

The shock and awe to Jets fans and the media is insane but all this conjecture is are hot takes and pipe dreams.

The Jets Super Bowl dreams for the 2023 season are on life support.

The storyline to me is Zach Wilson who this team invested a 2nd overall pick for.

Let him play…..and move on.

Tom Brady talk is fun to talk about. And I think he could excel there. But it seems like the logical thing is the obvious thing - roll with Zach Wilson.

He was a first round talent evaluation. He's seemed to prosper being mentored by Rodgers. He led them to victory last night (with a lot of help from defense and special teams).

If Geno Smith can lead Seattle, I wouldn't be shocked to see Wilson do well with this roster. They're loaded.

I'd love to believe that, but I watched every game last year. He's truly awful. He was a first round talent evaluation, but so weren't a lot of guys that busted. Winston was once a 1st overall pick (and he's a lot better than Wilson) and Mariota a 2nd overall pick (he's also a lot better) and look how that turned out. I don't think the NFL knows if they can play until they get them in the NFL. It's just so different than college football, especially the level that Wilson played at.

Waldman and Bloom had him as a mediocre college QB whose game wouldn't translate to the NFL, and did all along in their evaluation. They're not pro scouts, but man, it's hard to say they were wrong.

I personally don't think I can stand another game where he throws four picks vs. New England.

I'm hoping like heck that they trade for Ridder and let London/Pitts out of purgatory.

Kidding. But seriously, a call to Atlanta might be the best move - to adopt their philosophy of being a run first, second, and third team. Breece, Dalvin, Abanikanda, Carter should be more than enough to win some games, and let Zach choose some spots to feed Garrett. Play safe with the ball, don't try and let Zach be a hero, just game manager with a pounding run game. They might be more likely to trade for some O-line help than a QB. The defense can carry them far this year, especially if the AFC ends up being a bit more wide open (Bills, Bengals, Chiefs all started 0-1 after all...)

Wilson might have the physical skill set to be successful. Just feels like his mental makeup doesn't translate. I'm not a professional, but I did work at a prison for 10 years. I know people. Ha ha. His moxy, at the most moxy needed position on the football field just doesn't look like it translates. Best case scenario he follows the Chase Daniels career back up role. That's what he is.

All my opinion and I reserve the right to change that opinion at any moment.

Last edited:
I do agree the most likely option is you have to ride Z Wilson and hope for the best. If you can't make a splash attempt at someone like Kyler you are probably signing a veteran backup in case Wilson goes down as well before the year is out.

Hot garbage lol.

Zach Wilson is the play.

Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow all these teams are all in. You lose your QB…..come on guys….there is only so many QB’s that are even capable of leading a team to a title.

Pipe dreams.

The shock and awe to Jets fans and the media is insane but all this conjecture is are hot takes and pipe dreams.

The storyline to me is Zach Wilson who this team invested a 2nd overall pick for.

The Jets became SB irrelevant for '23 the minute Rodgers went down...unless Zach Wilson has an epiphany
How do they move forward? They still have a Championship caliber defense.
Do you keep moving forward with Saleh?

Championship caliber defense means less when you have a last place offensive line. It doesn't matter who the qb is. Even with Rodgers I sincerely doubted they make a SB. Just have Wilson as the starter and run the ball a ton. Maybe make the playoffs and lose in round one. That would be good enough and maybe the likely result even with Rodgers

Even with Rodgers I sincerely doubted they make a SB.
All day long, this.

This team ain't proven a THING, with Rodgers, before Rodgers, that magical Mike White week last year. :bored:

Now everyone hemming and hawwing like the 95 Cowboys just lost Aikman. Ridiculous expectations from the begininng, when the questionably run team signed the 39 year old Hall of Famer whose last team was more than ready to get rid of.

Longshot from the beginning.

Championship caliber defense means less when you have a last place offensive line. It doesn't matter who the qb is. Even with Rodgers I sincerely doubted they make a SB. Just have Wilson as the starter and run the ball a ton. Maybe make the playoffs and lose in round one. That would be good enough and maybe the likely result even with Rodgers
Agree

OL is just not good enough to go far in the playoffs.

Might as well roll with Zach Wilson, run the ball a ton like ATL does, and hope Wilson can improve.

Rogers seems willing to mentor Zach Wilson. IMO Wilson is the best option. With the Jets defense they can be a run heavy team. Wilson is good enough to exploit play action and or trust Garret to make the contested catch. I believe the team will rally behind Zach.

I've never understood why an NFL team doesn't put a great mind QB in the booth to talk directly into the on-the-field QB's helmet. Imagine a young gunslinger getting not only the play call, but, the defensive read from Tom Brady in his ear before every play. Yes, the mic is cut off once he's under center, but, a lot of info can still be conveyed based on who's on the field and where they're lining up. Find a good mentor QB and put him in a comfy chair looking at a big screen TV with all the offensive coordinators around him, and put that voice in the young QB's head, it's worth a try.

One of the odd things is the Jets now have Nathaniel Hackett as their OC as well as having Cobb and Lazard - three guys who probably would not be on the team but for Aaron Rodgers. Do they still try to run Hackett's offense and keep pushing things like Rodgers' hand signals for guys like the Wilsons to run? I assume they've got to shift the offense considerably now, and I wonder what roles guys like Hackett, Cobb and Lazard have going forward this season.

I say bleep all these over-priced has-beens. I would be signing Nathan Rourke off the Jags practice squad to backup Wilson.

I know that your draft position is your worth in the NFL but teams passed on Brock Purdy 261 times so scouting is far from perfect.

Last edited:
As a Jets fan I don't have a good answer.

But I do know that flacco ain't it. He is washed and totally disinterested

Wilson does 2 things well....

1- his mobility allows him to escape a lot of tough spots

2- he can throw the ball hard with a quick release

Hes been below average to awful at everything else. Terrible decision maker, doesn't move guys with his eyes, awful footwork (leading to poor mechanics on screens and other short throws) and awful ball placement on medium throws even when he's on platform.

he ain't it. Never was. The rest of the team is too good to bottom out, so we're in purgatory

A vet who is probably available and is probably better than what the FA market is, is another former #2 overall pick, Mitch Trubisky. Steelers can proceed with Mason Rudolph as the #2, and maybe pick up a 3rd rounder if they are lucky, though whether that is better than another former #2 overall pick (Wentz) is debatable.

Don't pick QBs at #2 seems to be the takeaway.

One of the odd things is the Jets now have Nathaniel Hackett as their OC as well as having Cobb and Lazard - three guys who probably would not be on the team but for Aaron Rodgers. Do they still try to run Hackett's offense and keep pushing things like Rodgers' hand signals for guys like the Wilsons to run? I assume they've got to shift the offense considerably now, and I wonder what roles guys like Hackett, Cobb and Lazard have going forward this season.
They are going to definitely be a run 1st, Run dominate team now. Unless they sign Brady... lol

realistically, the only name that makes any sense to me is matt ryan. that is how bad the landscape is. i mean, would the lions move bridgewater? hooker would be the backup in detroit? if you talk winston, cam newton would be free, but can he play a little? some legit backups are needed to mentor younger qbs. flacco is completely shot. ryan is an absolute statue, but can he pro manage a game with that defense? i’d think yes. unfortunately, you are prolly staring at 2-3 weeks of hack wilson.

remember this, the jets went thru a lot of hoops and efforted extensively to get a qb because wilson can’t play the position. let’s make no mistake about that. being in the exact spot as last year is unenviable. if they believed wilson could play then rodgers wouldn’t be here. so, they have to find someone for when wilson has to sit for good again. from i what i read, wentz is a complete doosh.

i think they get ryan.

I don't think grabbing a QB off the street is the way to go. Brady looks so thin that a strong gust of wind could sack him right now. Matt Ryan was one of the worst QBs last year and looked beyond washed up. Flacco? I could see adding him for insurance in the short term to work behind Wilson until they have more clarity. I read the name Philip Rivers and just laughed.

Matt Stafford was supposed to be on a rebuilding Rams team, but they beat the snot out of Seattle and Stafford looked good doing it. I also don't think the Jets could afford him, though they do retain their 2024 1st now, right? Stafford would be the pick of the litter if they could pull it off but McVay and the Rams may view things differently after curb-stomping Seattle.

Maybe walk next door to the Giants' facilities and ask what Tyrod Taylor would cost?

Hot garbage lol.

Zach Wilson is the play.

Pipe dreams.

The Jets became SB irrelevant for '23 the minute Rodgers went down...unless Zach Wilson has an epiphany
How do they move forward? They still have a Championship caliber defense.
Do you keep moving forward with Saleh?
Saleh is an awesome coach. I think they got a great one in him.

realistically, the only name that makes any sense to me is matt ryan. that is how bad the landscape is. i mean, would the lions move bridgewater? hooker would be the backup in detroit? if you talk winston, cam newton would be free, but can he play a little? some legit backups are needed to mentor younger qbs. flacco is completely shot. ryan is an absolute statue, but can he pro manage a game with that defense? i’d think yes. unfortunately, you are prolly staring at 2-3 weeks of hack wilson.

remember this, the jets went thru a lot of hoops and efforted extensively to get a qb because wilson can’t play the position. let’s make no mistake about that. being in the exact spot as last year is unenviable. if they believed wilson could play then rodgers wouldn’t be here. so, they have to find someone for when wilson has to sit for good again. from i what i read, wentz is a complete doosh.

i think they get ryan.

I think Wentz is toxic. No team will employ him again, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread