What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US-China talks break into tense confrontation on camera (1 Viewer)

Ok, the only report of the purple hair I see on Twitter looks like it’s an account of someone who I typically wouldn’t put a lot of stock in. 

Where do you work? Not specifically but what industry?   Imagine going to the highest level meeting possible and someone on your team has purple hair. 
If someone had hair similar to hers...it would not affect my judgement of the person in any way.  

Industry..all sorts. As an accountant and auditor (including forensic audit).  I have had clients in many industries.

We also had an assistant who colored her hair or had a streak in her hair.  She did great work for us and clients have given her praise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came back to this thread excited to see there was a couple pages of discussion over the exchange to open the session. Was really interested to hear folks’ takes on the nature of the exchange and what it means for how the new administration is setting expectations. 

Well, color me disappointed. 

Edit:  Also, the link I posted in the first post of the thread contains a five minute video that features her prominently. No need to go looking for pictures. 

The idea, ever since Nixon went there in 1972, was that once China was opened up to trade and capitalism then eventually their country would shake off its dictatorship. 

That hasn’t happened, and it’s been 50 years. Russia managed to get rid of Communism 30 years ago. But it China it’s vestiges hang on and on. What now? This is as good a thread as any to ask the question. I don’t care about Trump vs Biden, or what happened at one meeting. I care about what our long term strategy should be. Do we even have one? 

You need to get out more
Probably.  Unfortunately, the virus China unleashed on the world kept us out of offices.  

Regardless, if I am a lead US Diplomat going into my first meeting with China my right hand person is not showing up with purple hair, a man bun, a mullet or dreadlocks. If they did, I would ask them to give their notes to someone that takes their job and the situation more seriously.   

The reason I was in favor of the Trans Pacific Partnership, (beyond being in favor of free trade and especially free trade in the Pacific Rim in general) was that I believed that the added competition to China would result in a more favorable situation for us. 
But now that’s dead. In his condemnation of it, President Trump proposed bilateral trade agreements with each of the smaller nations bordering China as an alternative. But he didn’t pursue that plan. At this point, we probably should, no? 

Probably.  Unfortunately, the virus China unleashed on the world kept us out of offices.  

Regardless, if I am a lead US Diplomat going into my first meeting with China my right hand person is not showing up with purple hair, a man bun, a mullet or dreadlocks. If they did, I would ask them to give their notes to someone that takes their job and the situation more seriously.   
I’m not sure Blinken is up for the job. Seems to congenial 

You are the one talking about appearances. I thought you were being ironic or something. 
I honestly thought he was being tongue and cheek at first as well. 

Now imagine a world where the Chinese didn't have as much respect for the African-American demographic as we do. It's a REAL stretch. Should we not allow any staffers that are African-American because the Chinese won't like it. 

The fact these same people whined about how important being "TOUGH ON CHINA" was for the past five years might be more funny than it is sad. But it's close either way.

I honestly thought he was being tongue and cheek at first as well. 

Now imagine a world where the Chinese didn't have as much respect for the African-American demographic as we do. It's a REAL stretch. Should we not allow any staffers that are African-American because the Chinese won't like it. 

The fact these same people whined about how important being "TOUGH ON CHINA" was for the past five years might be more funny than it is sad. But it's close either way.
A black person vs an unprofessional person that dyes her hair purple.  No sane person is going to link that analogy.   

This is not an insult but are you sure about what you are saying?  You are effectively saying don’t judge a person on contribution and ability - judge them on looks.  You would rather they give their hard work to somebody else to present that fits an image you find acceptable.

What if you went somewhere that face was an issue?  Would a black have to give their work to a white person to present?

this isn’t a gotcha moment

Her appearance is fine.  And we have no idea what Biden felt...only what Posobiec claims...which isn't very credible.

Clowns...no we don't...and way less clownlike than a bad tan and awful combover. 
So you defend the person's hair in the same breath you take a cheap shot at someone else's skin color and hair style?   This is horrible posting, as usual.  Do better.

The idea, ever since Nixon went there in 1972, was that once China was opened up to trade and capitalism then eventually their country would shake off its dictatorship. 

That hasn’t happened, and it’s been 50 years. Russia managed to get rid of Communism 30 years ago. But it China it’s vestiges hang on and on. What now? This is as good a thread as any to ask the question. I don’t care about Trump vs Biden, or what happened at one meeting. I care about what our long term strategy should be. Do we even have one? 
Try to get back into something similar to the TPP.  Put pressure on them by being allies with others in trade in the region.  Take some of China's leverage away.

1957 says hello.

Bringing a purple haired staffer to a sit down with China is like bringing a knife to a gun fight 
Her purple hair somehow give China a massive advantage at the table?  Interesting.  Not sure I see that or agree but to each is own I guess

This is not an insult but are you sure about what you are saying?  You are effectively saying don’t judge a person on contribution and ability - judge them on looks.  You would rather they give their hard work to somebody else to present that fits an image you find acceptable.

What if you went somewhere that face was an issue?  Would a black have to give their work to a white person to present?

this isn’t a gotcha moment
It looks unprofessional and sorry people are judged by looks.  Our country is judged on these looks.  Conveying a professional image is not too much to ask at that level. Standards of appearance should have been set long before the meeting, so I would not have found myself in that position.   

One thing is clear (at least to me): blaming China for Covid, attempting to hold them responsible in any way for the misery and economic loss, serves us no good purpose. Anyone who studies history knows that when you attempt to blame a country for bad results, even when it’s justified, it only creates resentment and a worse situation later on. We need to move on. 

One thing is clear (at least to me): blaming China for Covid, attempting to hold them responsible in any way for the misery and economic loss, serves us no good purpose. Anyone who studies history knows that when you attempt to blame a country for bad results, even when it’s justified, it only creates resentment and a worse situation later on. We need to move on. 
Until the next pandemic.  

How about blaming China for not cooperating?  

Since its 2021, can you post some recent state events between countries wearing goofy hair, nose rings, ear plugs, etc?  
Google is your friend.  Add to it that has nothing to do with my point of context and you have fun with that research.  

Has China pushed back from the negotiations because of anyone's appearance, or is this just the random musings of one troll? 
Seems things calmed down even from the first clip in the thread.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/no-way-treat-guests-wang-221113353.html

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3126058/us-tells-china-it-does-not-seek-conflict-will-stand-principles

(South China Morning Post...rates well according to Ad Fontes bias chart)

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/south-china-morning-post-bias-and-reliability/

It looks unprofessional and sorry people are judged by looks.  Our country is judged on these looks.  Conveying a professional image is not too much to ask at that level. Standards of appearance should have been set long before the meeting, so I would not have found myself in that position.   
Though I disagree with your application of this statement to the issue at hand, I agree with the statement as a general rule. 

Users who are viewing this thread