What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

Maybe GGG wanted to see the other options and didn’t want to pull Zardes  away from his club to only play part time. 
GGG did say when the roster was announced that certain decisions were made with looking forward to the Gold Cup and playing time.

Most figured that was talking about Turner but you are correct in that Zardes might fit there as well.

The first round of Concacaf qualifying will finish up next week, and will clear up the picture, a bit, for who the US will play in the very first two games of qualifying (one home and one away).   And the 3rd game that window will be away to Honduras so lots of travel with the hardest game likely last of the three this September.

Those first 3 games will obviously be very important especially with two of them likely to be weaker opponents.   The team probably will need no less than 6 points from these 3 games to be considered a decent start. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I can live with Yueill offensively.  He is not a world beater offensively but is generally competent enough to function in World Cup Qualifiers.

But I honestly don't think he has what it takes at the 6 to play in Concacaf defensively.  There is no bite, no urgency, no energy to his defensive play.   

Some one last night threw together a quick compilation of Sands to show all the things Yueill can't do defensively.  Simple toe pokes, hard tackles, pit bulling offensive players to turn back towards their own goal, collecting of loose balls, interceptions etc.  These are all basic components to a functional number 6 in the modern game.

I feel like GGG is so in love with his once or twice a game long diagonal balls that he overlooks his defensive short comings.

With our current teams make up, I don't think we need offensive leaning player at the 6.  We need a guy to be a destroyer and a simple pass distributor.  

And yes, I understand I just described Adams perfectly but as others have correctly pointed out we need depth here.   A Beckerman type to emerge would be wonderful, whether that be Sands, Busio or some one else, but I fear it is so late in the cycle that a new name won't have enough time to impress (which is why the Gold Cup is becoming sneaky important for a bunch of players).
It's interesting, because he seems to also want the CBs to make those long passes (which I like too).

But yeah...a Caillou space awareness monster who can clog the lanes before the pass is made, make the simple, quick and smart outlet pass, but also has quickness of foot to get to get there when he hasn't preliminarily read the lane.

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Looking ahead to Concacaf Nations League ... If the semifinal matches or third-place game is tied after 90 minutes, a penalty kick tiebreaker will commence right away. Only the final will use 30 minutes of extra time before penalties (if necessary)

I can live with Yueill offensively.  He is not a world beater offensively but is generally competent enough to function in World Cup Qualifiers.

But I honestly don't think he has what it takes at the 6 to play in Concacaf defensively.  There is no bite, no urgency, no energy to his defensive play.   

Some one last night threw together a quick compilation of Sands to show all the things Yueill can't do defensively.  Simple toe pokes, hard tackles, pit bulling offensive players to turn back towards their own goal, collecting of loose balls, interceptions etc.  These are all basic components to a functional number 6 in the modern game.

I feel like GGG is so in love with his once or twice a game long diagonal balls that he overlooks his defensive short comings.

With our current teams make up, I don't think we need offensive leaning player at the 6.  We need a guy to be a destroyer and a simple pass distributor.  

And yes, I understand I just described Adams perfectly but as others have correctly pointed out we need depth here.   A Beckerman type to emerge would be wonderful, whether that be Sands, Busio or some one else, but I fear it is so late in the cycle that a new name won't have enough time to impress (which is why the Gold Cup is becoming sneaky important for a bunch of players).
I didn't watch the Swiss match, but Sands is the de facto center defender in the three man backline NYCFC is playing these days.  Can he play D-mid, yes; but I'm also fairly positive, his best current position in CB in a 3 man backline.  Sands still has problems making passes into half spaces.  

Simple toe pokes, hard tackles, pit bulling offensive players to turn back towards their own goal, collecting of loose balls, interceptions etc.  These are all basic components to a functional number 6 in the modern game.

Do you guys remember Marcos Senna from the Spain WC and EUROS runs.  The dude was just bad ### in that role you described above.  

“Passing the ball forward? Guess he didn’t learn that from Dad.”

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  
I laughed at that too.

And then it got me thinking how much he had degraded at the end.

And then it got me thinking about how really good he was in his prime with his work rate and overall skill and vision.

And then it got me wondering if an in-prime Bradley starts for this USMNT from a talent/skill level based on who we currently have in a stacked MF.  Forget the experience he would bring, I'm talking strictly from a skill/energy standpoint.

Thoughts?

I laughed at that too.

And then it got me thinking how much he had degraded at the end.

And then it got me thinking about how really good he was in his prime with his work rate and overall skill and vision.

And then it got me wondering if an in-prime Bradley starts for this USMNT from a talent/skill level based on who we currently have in a stacked MF.  Forget the experience he would bring, I'm talking strictly from a skill/energy standpoint.

Thoughts?
I think some of the current guys are more skilled so it probably depends on when in his career you are talking about.  At his peak, he's probably a great player to have in the side to provide some calmness and veteran leadership.  But he was limited.  And wasn't consistent enough for my liking to make him an auto start.  And towards the end he was bad at least with the NT.

For me a ~24 year old Bradley is an insta start next to Weston as an 8.  I think because he turned into a walking corpse towards the end, it is easy to forget just how much energy and movement his game held.   He was not the calm looking Beckerman when he was young as he was much more of a chaser/pest on defense and a driver of the ball offensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming everyone healthy (a rarity these days)....

Adams is better as a 6 than Bradley (IMO) so then it comes down to whether he makes it as the 2nd 8 next to weston.

Gio obviously has more talent but it seems like berhalter sees him as a wing. 

I would start hypothetical 25 year old old Bradley over current 18 year old musah (and probably current Aaronson as well). 

Assuming everyone healthy (a rarity these days)....

Adams is better as a 6 than Bradley (IMO) so then it comes down to whether he makes it as the 2nd 8 next to weston.

Gio obviously has more talent but it sees like berhalter seems him as a wing. 

I would start hypothetical 25 year old old Bradley over current 18 year old musah (and probably current Aaronson as well). 
This was how I saw it. I think Adams is already better at the 6 like you said. 

Peak Bradley vs current Musah/Aaronson is interesting.  

Bradley only transitioned to the 6 relatively late in his international and eventual club career (after both the 2010 and 2014 WC's).

He was a true box to box midfielder at his peak.

Bradley only transitioned to the 6 relatively late in his international and eventual club career (after both the 2010 and 2014 WC's).

He was a true box to box midfielder at his peak.
Yeah I think we're all sort of soured on Bradley because of how it ended.  But he would slot in great next to weston at his peak. His work rate and passing range would really help. 

Now just give us peak deuce at the 9 and peak Landon on the right wing and we're in business 

Today's shower thought is wondering just how much we owe to Alphonso Davies.

With out Davies, we might have a DRASTICALLY different looking future, which is fascinating considering Davies is not even American.

Here is how the story goes:

1) MLS had been running academies for a while but almost strictly with the idea that these were going to be used to create players primarily for the first team.

2) Weston McKennie was the jewel in the system back then.  Every one around the league seemed to know what Dallas had waiting to come up.

3) But try as they might, Dallas was not able to sign him and Weston walked away to Europe for $0

4) Seeing as MLS (like most leagues) are owned by businessmen first and foremost, this caused a massive panic.

5) Both subtle and not so subtle hints were being dropped by both owners and Garber that this could not continue. 

6) The rumors increased to the point where the owners were seriously considering scrapping the academies since if players were going to walk away with no compensation, it was not sustainable.

7) Thankfully for all of us long range looking fans, the owners did not do anything hasty and eventually the news came down that Vancouver some how sold a young player (Davies) for $16m.

8} This was the key turning point.  Every single MLS owner who did not understand development but understood $'s broke down how Vancouver did this, as they realized that even a single sale of a player could fund academies for years on end.

9) From that point on, MLS started to sign players much younger from their academies (something they were very hesitant to do before Davies).

10) This led directly to more young players getting playing time and the ability to be scouted by European teams.

11) And that has led to the slow but steady snow ball down the hill that we all hope will continue in the decades to come.

This is where I think JK made his biggest communication mistake.  He did not talk to the owners in a language they could understand.  Instead of telling them your league is ####, no American should play in it, he should have instead talked to them in terms of how transfers of young players can sustain itself financially (and likely even turn a profit), not only through direct money injection but also towards giving "the next guy" his window of opportunity to keep the train rolling.  There is a fair chance they would not have understood/believed him but it would have been better than the tactic he used IMO.

No surprise here.  I think most expected Barnsley to not buy if they did not get promoted

=========================

Orlando City star Daryl Dike is fully back to being a Lion after Barnsley elected not to exercise the option-to-buy clause of its four-month loan for the striker.

The Lions loaned Dike to Barnsley in the English Championship on February 1, and extended his stay through May 31 after renegotiating the club’s right to recall at the start of the month. The Tykes held an option to buy Dike lasting through the end of the loan, but chose not to utilize it according to a club source.

This clause was priced at $20 million with an additional 20% stipulation for the Lions on any future sale, according to a source.

Do you guys remember Marcos Senna from the Spain WC and EUROS runs.  The dude was just bad ### in that role you described above.  
Senna was awesome for Spain in the 2008 Euros.  His level of play in that tournament is a big reason that I still consider that team to be the best of Spain's 08-10-12 trio of champions.

He'd be the second name on the team sheet behind Pulisic if he was in his prime right now.  

It's easy to forget because he was SO bad the last couple times we saw him with the USMNT, but Bradley was arguably the best player on the team in both 2010 and 2014 WCs.  He was easily the best USMNT midfielder for nearly a decade.

He scored 17 USMNT goals as a midfielder and is second in career assists for the US(behind Donovan who might not get caught for a LONG time).  On top of that, in his prime he was consistently the first name on the stat sheet for distance travelled in a match.  He was relentless in the press.  He was constantly picking off passes.  He seemed to understand how to bully until they gave up the ball without fouling them.  

He was basically what Weston is turning into right now at age 22.  Imagine 2 Westons out there playing 8 for us right now.  That's what you'd have if Bradley were in his prime right now.

this is a bold choice for a guy who is a 3rd string keeper at LAFC

================

Salvadoran Football Federation: Tomás Romero (LAFC goalkeeper) declines El Salvador call up to maintain the possibility of playing for the United States

He'd be the second name on the team sheet behind Pulisic if he was in his prime right now.  

It's easy to forget because he was SO bad the last couple times we saw him with the USMNT, but Bradley was arguably the best player on the team in both 2010 and 2014 WCs.  He was easily the best USMNT midfielder for nearly a decade.

He scored 17 USMNT goals as a midfielder and is second in career assists for the US(behind Donovan who might not get caught for a LONG time).  On top of that, in his prime he was consistently the first name on the stat sheet for distance travelled in a match.  He was relentless in the press.  He was constantly picking off passes.  He seemed to understand how to bully until they gave up the ball without fouling them.  

He was basically what Weston is turning into right now at age 22.  Imagine 2 Westons out there playing 8 for us right now.  That's what you'd have if Bradley were in his prime right now.
:goodposting:

Somebody said he was inconsistent?! Patently wrong. Until the wheels came off, he was the guy you could count on to be consistent, for like a decade. I don't even remember him missing games due to injury... Although he must have. I love what I've seen from Adams, but not so much what I've not seen because he's missed a bunch of US games.

Added to the list of attributes above, caillou had an amazing sense of space on the field- closed passing lanes, shut down channels, consistently won second balls and also knew the right ball to play- short or long- to either get the attack started or set up safely.

Musah has a ton of upside and potential...particularly the way he attacks space and chews up the field with the ball at his feet...but right now Caillou is an auto start next to swag...unless, as usual, Adams is hurt- in which case I'm more than happy to move him to the 6.

We keep talking about that void behind Adams....sucks that Johnny wasn't there yet. Maybe he'll grow some more as a player.

Reminder to everyone that for the first time I can recall the US will be playing on the CBS networks.

Specifically on CBSSN and Paramount+.  I was not sure if I even had CBSSN as I don't think I have ever watched anything on that channel but in looking I do have it.

All of us with it types have moved on to Flach as the next great savior 6 for the times Adams is hurt.  

*  I have seen Flach play about 15 minutes for the Union.
Hey new guy, this thread is a safe/non-wondo place. Don't harsh our high, bruh.

Eta ..first time ever saying or writing "bruh". Felt inspired after hearing deuce use it with his buddies. But also feeling dirty.

Hey new guy, this thread is a safe/non-wondo place. Don't harsh our high, bruh.

Eta ..first time ever saying or writing "bruh". Felt inspired after hearing deuce use it with his buddies. But also feeling dirty.
All Deuce quotes should be based on his response when some guy on Twitter tried to get him to join Landon and Germany Jones in the indoor soccer league.  "Nah, I'm good, pimp."

I don't know how I feel about this.........on the one hand, if this gets all MLS 2 type clubs out of the second division (USL), I am ok with that, but on the other it makes the pyramid even murkier since we already have a 3rd division in place in USL2. 

For this threads purposes, the best academy players will be playing in this new division before they are ready to take the next steps

==============================

Jeff Rueter

@jeffrueter

BREAKING: MLS is finalizing a plan for a new league expected to apply for U.S. third-division sanctioning, sources tell @MLSist and me. The league would launch in 2022 with over half of MLS clubs involved — plus potential independent members.

I don't know how I feel about this.........on the one hand, if this gets all MLS 2 type clubs out of the second division (USL), I am ok with that, but on the other it makes the pyramid even murkier since we already have a 3rd division in place in USL2. 

For this threads purposes, the best academy players will be playing in this new division before they are ready to take the next steps

==============================

Jeff Rueter

@jeffrueter

BREAKING: MLS is finalizing a plan for a new league expected to apply for U.S. third-division sanctioning, sources tell @MLSist and me. The league would launch in 2022 with over half of MLS clubs involved — plus potential independent members.
I did not read the article but it sounds like some of this impetus is so that MLS has more streaming inventory going into the next TV contract, according to the Athletic article some one paraphrased.

NewlyRetired said:
No surprise here.  I think most expected Barnsley to not buy if they did not get promoted

=========================

Orlando City star Daryl Dike is fully back to being a Lion after Barnsley elected not to exercise the option-to-buy clause of its four-month loan for the striker.

The Lions loaned Dike to Barnsley in the English Championship on February 1, and extended his stay through May 31 after renegotiating the club’s right to recall at the start of the month. The Tykes held an option to buy Dike lasting through the end of the loan, but chose not to utilize it according to a club source.

This clause was priced at $20 million with an additional 20% stipulation for the Lions on any future sale, according to a source.
Orlando drastically overpriced him.  

Orlando drastically overpriced him.  
Barnsley could not afford half that price so it really only matters if it scares off the mid tier EPL teams.

I do have to say the 20% sell on fee was over the top IMO.  I would be surprised to see any team match that with the full $20m price.

He feels more like a $10m with some level of sell on type player.   Hopefully they can get a good offer and Dike can find a team willing to give him a chance for minutes.

Although he has so much he can work on in his game, another year or 2 in MLS with max minutes may not hurt.

This would be fabulous

======================

Bayern & Germany

@iMiaSanMia

Hoffenheim want to sign Chris Richards permanently from FC Bayern. The American defender would cost around €10m [@SPORTBILD]

Users who are viewing this thread