What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (4 Viewers)

Yeah, I was just looking at season #s.  Wonder why he fell so far out of favor, so fast?  He's still (unbelievably) only 28 and you pretty much know what you're getting with him.
The only thing I can think is that he was going to be out of contract in the summer.  The way they did this it can help both player and team.  If they decided he was not going to be an important member of the squad this spring, it makes some sense to release him.  They don't have to pay him and it can make Yedlin's life easier since he will be a free agent and can have more options of where and when to move.

I have a fairly high confidence level that this will be the team that starts against ELS

===========================

.....................................Steffen

Dest...................Zimm.................Miles...........Jedi

......................................Adams

............................Weston........Musah

Aaronson....................Pepi..............................Pulisic

I have a fairly high confidence level that this will be the team that starts against ELS

I like it. 

In a perfect world we'd be up like 3-0 in the 61st vs ELS and swap a bunch of the front six to manage minutes -- and then start this same team in all three games. 

The Canada game doesn't seem likely to allow for much of that, but with luck we might be able to keep our best team on the field for the 300 or so minutes that really count.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
I'm 92% sure that in one of these games, Zardes is gonna score a goal of a part of his body that is not his foot or head.

Just seems like he's due for one and with the likely bad weather, we may need it to win.

Definitely. Surprised if it's anything but that.

Which means, hello Lletget!

Like the lineup.  Is anyone concerned that our CB pairing will have not played a match in 2 months with the end of their MLS season?  Those two have been pretty great during qualifying and ELS won’t present a huge challenge but considering 9 of the 11 are still in season it is a tad unfortunate the two that may be a little rusty is the CB duo.

Like the lineup.  Is anyone concerned that our CB pairing will have not played a match in 2 months with the end of their MLS season?  Those two have been pretty great during qualifying and ELS won’t present a huge challenge but considering 9 of the 11 are still in season it is a tad unfortunate the two that may be a little rusty is the CB duo.
It is very much a concern for me. 

I would like to see Richards and Miles start.  Richards is in season and Miles is one of our few players used to the cold growing up in Mass and playing at Syracuse.

That's pretty cool.

And awesome to hear that Canada still has @Costa Rica, @Panama, @El Salvador and @Honduras left.  They're going to drop more points than I'd been thinking they will.
for me- the last three were "shoulda" won games for the US. 1-1-1 isn't terrible on paper for away games in CONCACAF, but they were all winnable from what I saw on the field (aside from the US's yuck contributions). Canada has been really consistent- they'll miss Davies, but they look more than capable of winning all three of those if they play the way they have and those other teams play the way they did vs the US. CR is an unknown- I figure they'll have drastically restructured their roster since that embarrassment to the US. And tbh- CAN v PAN should be fantastic if the first matchup is any indicator.

It is very much a concern for me. 

I would like to see Richards and Miles start.  Richards is in season and Miles is one of our few players used to the cold growing up in Mass and playing at Syracuse.

Understood but I’d be shocked if ELS creates a lot of chances.  And that’s my point and why I’m concerned about Andy’s hypothetical pairing- a CB screwup due to not being sharp seems a likely scenario for ELS scoring.

Zimm definitely lends leadership, distribution and shape-crafting skillz and aerial dominance that Richards lacks abit.. or at least lacked the last time I saw him and Miles paired. But the out of season issue is legit, and tbh I don't think you need Zimm's ability in the air vs El Sal at least... so it falls to his vet experience and whether his timing and ball skills are up to game-speed. I hope so.

U.S. Soccer MNT@USMNT·11m

Zack Steffen experienced back tightness this past weekend and has not yet traveled to Columbus.

His is status is day-to-day.

Then again, aren't we all?

It really is insane. Robinson wakes up with back spasms...we're in trouble. Robinson badly stubs his toe while getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night...we're in trouble. Robinson eats a bad tuna fish sandwich...we're in trouble.

None of these happens but Robinson does something stupid and gets 2 yellow cards on Thursday night....we're in trouble.

Robinson simply is too tired to go 90+ minutes in 3 straight games (in potentially ugly conditions)....we're playing someone out of position in a must-win world cup qualifier (weakening 2 positions if the decision is to move Dest to the left and play someone else on the right).....

I mean seriously....our contingency plan for Robinson not being available for a 3rd game (just as an example) is moving Dest over there. Dest....a guy who.....to my knowledge....has yet to make it through a window unscathed.

It really is insane. Robinson wakes up with back spasms...we're in trouble. Robinson badly stubs his toe while getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night...we're in trouble. Robinson eats a bad tuna fish sandwich...we're in trouble.

None of these happens but Robinson does something stupid and gets 2 yellow cards on Thursday night....we're in trouble.

Robinson simply is too tired to go 90+ minutes in 3 straight games (in potentially ugly conditions)....we're playing someone out of position in a must-win world cup qualifier (weakening 2 positions if the decision is to move Dest to the left and play someone else on the right).....

I mean seriously....our contingency plan for Robinson not being available for a 3rd game (just as an example) is moving Dest over there. Dest....a guy who.....to my knowledge....has yet to make it through a window unscathed.
abosultely.

and I mentioned- I don't know that Dest+Yedlin is any better necessarily than Vines/Scally+Dest, but it means Dest HAS to go 3 full games if Jedi can't. Or Jedi HAS to if Dest can't. Or we drop off deep in quality... because Acosta (or any other of those RBs at LB)+Yedlin is worrying. LB depth would've fixed that easily... and only at the expense of Lennon- WHO SHOULDN"T EVER SEE THE FIELD.

has GGG said anything about Scally's exclusion yet? I know he discussed no LB cover with his BS- any of those RBs or Acosta can do it... but not specifically Scally or even Vines.

I'm 92% sure that in one of these games, Zardes is gonna score a goal of a part of his body that is not his foot or head.

Just seems like he's due for one and with the likely bad weather, we may need it to win.
We are due for 3 things during the ocho

1) A fluke Zardes type goal

2) A free kick goal (I still can't believe we have not scored even one in qualifying yet)

3) Opposing keeper mistake (I think all our goals have been clean in qualifying).

That's a solid squad, although I won't be surprised if JMo starts over Aaronson.  Morris seems like the exact type of player that GGG falls in love with.

That's a solid squad, although I won't be surprised if JMo starts over Aaronson.  Morris seems like the exact type of player that GGG falls in love with.
I try to stay some what neutral when it comes to GGG bashing but I would be fairly upset if this happens. 

Aaronson was arguably the best US player in 2021.  If he was replaced by a guy in the starting lineup who is still trying to find his feet after a long term injury, I would be really bummed (and I like Morris).

From Twitter

DeAndre Yedlin was stuck in Turkey until today, per a USSF spokesperson. Traveling now to USMNT camp in Columbus, but delayed by the weather that shut down the Istanbul airport on Monday. We’ll see on his status for Thursday.

Shouldn’t be a big deal for Thursday as he wasn’t starting but not ideal

wow that went quick!

==========

Pablo Iglesias Maurer

@MLSist

Kevin Paredes' transfer to Wolfsburg is essentially done. Terms are unclear, but have heard in the past week that DC's "number" was $7 mil, as Tom reports here. Paredes said goodbye to his teammates and is headed to Europe for his physical.

From Twitter

DeAndre Yedlin was stuck in Turkey until today, per a USSF spokesperson. Traveling now to USMNT camp in Columbus, but delayed by the weather that shut down the Istanbul airport on Monday. We’ll see on his status for Thursday.

Shouldn’t be a big deal for Thursday as he wasn’t starting but not ideal
we have cover for days at RB :)

LB not so much as you guys discussed above :)

NewlyRetired said:
wow that went quick!

==========

Pablo Iglesias Maurer

@MLSist

Kevin Paredes' transfer to Wolfsburg is essentially done. Terms are unclear, but have heard in the past week that DC's "number" was $7 mil, as Tom reports here. Paredes said goodbye to his teammates and is headed to Europe for his physical.
was just coming to post this... I wonder if Brooks will be kept around (independent of this, but would be nice to have a US-ish guy there for support).

Article about Alan Sonora, who was having a breakout season at the end of 21. Sounds like Argentina is in some kind of Covid no-mans land with their upcoming season... but still exciting for the kid. was reading he's kind of an Aaronson type with a little less hustle and a little more flair. Like a combo of Gio and Aaronson- but not as good as either just yet (and older than both of them)

------------------------------------------

WITH EVERY United States Men’s National Team roster announcement, there comes a gnashing of teeth from fans wondering why X or Y player was not selected by Head Coach Gregg Berhalter.

In the last six months one of those players who has become a favorite of the “What abouts?” is Alan Soñora, a silky-smooth 23-year-old left-footed midfielder with Argentine club Independiente.

The New Jersey-born Soñora emerged as a starter for El Rojo last season in the Primera Division, scoring four goals in 19 games, while also leading all players in passing accuracy in Argentina’s top flight with a 90.1% completion rate from 798 total passes. 

An official call-up from Berhalter is yet to happen, but there is now confirmation to ASN from both the player and U.S. Soccer that there has been contact between the two.

“Yes, [Berhalter] called. I was speaking with him, speaking with several assistants, Nico Estevez, about the December training camp and if I would be able to go, but I knew that I was still in my season with Independiente,” said Soñora to ASN.

“But it’s still really nice that the national team, the coach and his assistants call you and that you know that they are watching you. I just need to keep improving and hope for the invitation.

“When he called, he spoke well of me. The inconvenience was me not being able to go because of the Independiente matches. They also talked about if I could go to the January camp, but it was left there.

“The fact that the coach called motivates you. It tells you that you are doing things well and so I just have to keep doing things well to have the chance,” added Soñora.

Soñora also divulged that several teams from MLS kicked the tires to see about potentially luring the playmaker to play in his birth country, but no formal offer was ever made. It is just as well for Soñora, who is firmly focused on what lies ahead in 2022 for Independiente.

“We have three competitions this season. Copa Sudamericana, Copa Argentina and the domestic league. It’s wonderful to play in the Copa Sudamericana again. International tournaments are very important for this club. Independiente is one of the biggest clubs in Argentina, with a lot of history and demands that you fight in all the competitions that you play,” said Soñora.

Soñora’s breakout second half of 2021 came on the heels in which he barely received any playing time under old boss Julio Cesar Falcioni in the first half of the year. Yet injuries and absences opened the door for Soñora midway through and he grasped the opportunity with both hands. Soñora credits his old coach for keeping him ready when his chance came.

“In the first half of last year I was not able to play a lot, but I was lucky to be on a team with Falcioni there, who made me train, he supported me a lot, because when a player doesn’t play, it’s difficult. I also had the support of my parents to keep going, so I always trained and I always prepared for whenever my opportunity came to play, I would do it as well as possible. Thankfully, Falcioni gave me a chance and I was able to play,” said Soñora.

Falcioni is now gone from Independiente, replaced by Eduardo Dominguez, a former Los Angeles Galaxy player who earned plaudits for guiding Colon to the most unlikely of crowns when they captured the 2021 Copa Diego Armando Maradona, the club’s first ever title.

Through three preseason matches under Dominguez, Soñora appears in mid-season form, already scoring a goal in a 2-1 win over River Plate last Friday.

“We’ve started with a new coach, we’re still in the process of being in preseason, which is very hard. Now that we’re playing games though, we are starting to loosen up more, finding our football rhythm and getting better each time.

“When a new coach arrives, everyone starts from zero, we’re all in the same spot. My objective is continue playing, continue growing and try to be in the starting XI.

“I think from Eduardo people can expect an Independiente side that is a protagonist in games. Eduardo wants an intense football, sometimes direct, sometimes positional depending on how the game is. We’ve been working the last two weeks with him so we’ve only just recently started,” said Soñora.

Unfortunately for the Soñora family and USMNT fans, there will be no possibility of a ‘Clásico Soñora’ in the 2022 regular season against older brother and Banfield striker Joel Soñora, who played in the 2015 FIFA Under-20 World Cup with the U.S.

Independiente and Banfield find themselves in different groups for the 2022 season, so the long-awaited brother vs. brother and first ever U.S. player vs. U.S. player in Argentina will have to wait.

“Banfield are in the other group, so we won’t be playing against them this year. Hopefully some day it will happen because it would be wonderful,” concluded Soñora.

Good story on The Athletic about the genesis for playing in Ohio and Minnesota in winter.

A key paragraph:

As Gomez put it, U.S. Soccer and Berhalter choosing to play these two home matches in Columbus and St. Paul “is a business decision. They’re doing this to try to gain an advantage.” But against El Salvador and Honduras, the more talented USMNT shouldn’t really need a boost from the weather. Playing fast, clean soccer in good conditions should have been more than enough for the Americans to pick up three points against both Central American foes. By playing the two matches in Columbus and St. Paul, the Americans are manufacturing adversity and opening themselves up to risk. They obviously feel it’s worth taking. We’ll see if their gamble pays off.

Good story on The Athletic about the genesis for playing in Ohio and Minnesota in winter.

A key paragraph:

As Gomez put it, U.S. Soccer and Berhalter choosing to play these two home matches in Columbus and St. Paul “is a business decision. They’re doing this to try to gain an advantage.” But against El Salvador and Honduras, the more talented USMNT shouldn’t really need a boost from the weather. Playing fast, clean soccer in good conditions should have been more than enough for the Americans to pick up three points against both Central American foes. By playing the two matches in Columbus and St. Paul, the Americans are manufacturing adversity and opening themselves up to risk. They obviously feel it’s worth taking. We’ll see if their gamble pays off.
Yeah, if we were underdogs, then I can see wanting to get the weather advantage.  But we're not and I think the main advantage is getting a mostly home crowd.  Otherwise, ideal conditions would help us more than bad conditions would hurt them, IMO.

Mexico?  We can play that #### in Anchorage for all I care just for ####s and giggles.

But against El Salvador and Honduras, the more talented USMNT shouldn’t really need a boost from the weather.
It's not just the weather it's making it hard for their fans to get to the game.

Having sat thru USA v Guatemala (75% Guat) and USA v Jamaica (50/50) and even USA v Mexico in Columbus (60% US) I'm for anything that manages the away crowd.  The weather is nice too though.  

It's not just the weather it's making it hard for their fans to get to the game.

Having sat thru USA v Guatemala (75% Guat) and USA v Jamaica (50/50) and even USA v Mexico in Columbus (60% US) I'm for anything that manages the away crowd.  The weather is nice too though.  
Yeah, the article talked about that too.

It also said it had to do with Canada moving the US game from Vancouver to Ontario or wherever it is. US would have played in Portland and California if the Canada game was out West. They didn't want long flights.

For those with a sub, great article on The Athletic today regarding the decision to play in the cold....

https://theathletic.com/3090894/2022/01/25/the-usmnt-arranged-frigid-world-cup-qualifiers-which-could-be-a-boost-or-a-risk/

I can get behind the Columbus game from a weather and travel standpoint.  Picking Minnesota (and claiming its even partially due to proximity to Hamilton) just seems like nonsense. You dont think our guys would rather fly an extra hour (or 2) to somewhere more reasonable? (instead of playing on the frozen tundra).

Nothing against Minnesota. I spent 2 weeks there in August of 07. Lovely place. Wonderful people.  But this is just stupid.

Just PRAYING this doesn't backfire. Just really seems like if we somehow dont qualify, fluky, weather-related results from these 2 home games COULD be the reason.

to pile on to the weather stuff...

back in my youth playing days, the West regional camps were always on the West Coast..Oregon one year, and SF bay area another. The kids who came in from HI were a mess- playing in sweatpants, hoodies, gloves, hats... in 50 deg weather. My college teammates from Jamaica weren't as bad, because they got acclimatized to it through the fall... but pretty close, especially as freshman. 

I guess I'm saying- we don't necessarily need temps in single digits or teens to throw off tropical weather dudes.

to pile on to the weather stuff...

back in my youth playing days, the West regional camps were always on the West Coast..Oregon one year, and SF bay area another. The kids who came in from HI were a mess- playing in sweatpants, hoodies, gloves, hats... in 50 deg weather. My college teammates from Jamaica weren't as bad, because they got acclimatized to it through the fall... but pretty close, especially as freshman. 

I guess I'm saying- we don't necessarily need temps in single digits or teens to throw off tropical weather dudes.
This is what I was thinking.  Right now our Euro guys are playing in 30s and 40s in England, Germany, Scotland, Belgium, etc. and in 50s and 60s in Italy and Spain.  I don't know how we get an advantage by playing in temps near zero or below(as that Minnesota game could be).  Our guys are gonna be just as cold and miserable as ELS and Honduras players.

This is what I was thinking.  Right now our Euro guys are playing in 30s and 40s in England, Germany, Scotland, Belgium, etc. and in 50s and 60s in Italy and Spain.  I don't know how we get an advantage by playing in temps near zero or below(as that Minnesota game could be).  Our guys are gonna be just as cold and miserable as ELS and Honduras players.

Wed 02 | Day

18°

35%

NNW 11 mph

Variable clouds with snow showers or flurries. High 18F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Wed 02 | Day

18°

35%

NNW 11 mph

Variable clouds with snow showers or flurries. High 18F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.
That's ####### cold, even without the wind. Nobody's going to be happy playing in that...but to encaitars point above, the tropical dudes are going to be way more miserable than the US guys. There's cold, and there's that.

Nice work by DC with Paredes. Now we just need to hope they don't get relegated

==============

[Pablo Iglesias Maurer] Exact number here: $7.35 million to #DCU + a potential $500k if he meets performance goals in terms of total appearances. Also: 10% sell-on fee.

Nice work by DC with Paredes. Now we just need to hope they don't get relegated

==============

[Pablo Iglesias Maurer] Exact number here: $7.35 million to #DCU + a potential $500k if he meets performance goals in terms of total appearances. Also: 10% sell-on fee.
they're pretty bad, but I'm pretty sure DC can't get relegated.

Sinn Fein said:
U.S. Soccer MNT@USMNT·11m

Zack Steffen experienced back tightness this past weekend and has not yet traveled to Columbus.

His is status is day-to-day.

Then again, aren't we all?
Feels like this is how I would describe the last 10 years of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread