What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

From mlssoccer.com

=========

Jurgen Klinsmann says he has no problem with Jesse Gonzalez's decision to accept a Mexico Under-23 call-up rather than join the US national team's January camp in Southern California and that “the door here is always open” to him.

The 20-year-old FC Dallas goalkeeper accepted an invitation to join Klinsmann's camp of senior and U-23 national team players, which opened this week at StubHub Center and runs through the first week of February, then pulled out when he was called into Mexico's U-23 camp.

Sources have told MLSsoccer.com that Gonzalez never informed US Soccer of his change of heart and that he'd been expected to arrive in Southern California right until the roster was announced Jan. 6.

“I've been in touch with Jesse, and he said, well, you know, he got called in first by the Mexican team, the Under-23s, he feels comfortable there now,” Klinsmann said Wednesday afternoon at StubHub Center. “And I said, 'That's cool, Jesse, that's no problem at all.'

“At the end of the day, when you have that choice, make your decision that your heart is 100 percent behind it. It's all good. ... I mean, the door here is always open, and down the road you have to make a final decision anyway.”

I'd love to see Bacon stay healthy- those two actually might complement each other well.
Best case is that they both get plenty of playing time together but it is more probable that they are competing against each other and possibly one will be taking the others playing time.

This is just a very rare quirk that we have two US strikers on the same Euro team. The only other time I can remember this happening is when McBride and EJ were briefly together at Fulham back in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walh has confirmed that Morris has a contract offer and says he is now deciding between Seattle and Werder.

The Seattle offer is expected to be in the 250-300k range so I expect that Werder should be able to top that especially with no transfer fee. On the flip side Morris can likely make a little more endorsement money in Seattle.

Then it just comes down to the intangibles of living in Germany vs living at home in Seattle and also trying to predict playing time in each case.

Walh has confirmed that Morris has a contract offer and says he is now deciding between Seattle and Werder.

The Seattle offer is expected to be in the 250-300k range so I expect that Werder should be able to top that. Then it just comes down to the intangibles of living in Germany vs living at home in Seattle and also trying to predict playing time in each case.
I hope he stays in Seattle. MLS needs him here imo.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

The Seattle offer is expected to be in the 250-300k range so I expect that Werder should be able to top that. Then it just comes down to the intangibles of living in Germany vs living at home in Seattle and also trying to predict playing time in each case.
I just want what ever situation allows him to grow into the best player. It is impossible to guess that.

I can see pros and cons in both cases.

If you were to tell me that he going to be the same player no matter what he chooses then yes MLS makes the better sense in the long term, big scheme, assuming one agrees that MLS may some day be able to provide higher quality US players as they grow.

I'd love to see Bacon stay healthy- those two actually might complement each other well.
Best case is that they both get plenty of playing time together but worst case is likely more probable in that they are competing against each other and possibly one will be taking the others playing time.

This is just a very rare quirk that we have two US strikers on the same Euro team. The only other time I can remember this happening is when McBride and EJ were briefly together at Fulham back in 2008.
Its very reminiscent of when Brian McBride and Tony Saneh both played for the Milwaukee Rampage in 1994. Although not Europe, still a very analogous situation.

Best case is that they both get plenty of playing time together but worst case is likely more probable in that they are competing against each other and possibly one will be taking the others playing time.

Its very reminiscent of when Brian McBride and Tony Saneh both played for the Milwaukee Rampage in 1994. Although not Europe, still a very analogous situation.
Sanneh was a striker back then? I never knew that.

I remember hearing both Bake and Sanneh telling reporters after their classic goal (Sanneh's cross to Bake's diving header) against Portugal in 2002 that they did the same thing years ago in Milwaukee.

I just want what ever situation allows him to grow into the best player. It is impossible to guess that.

I can see pros and cons in both cases.

If you were to tell me that he going to be the same player no matter what he chooses then yes MLS makes the better sense in the long term, big scheme, assuming one agrees that MLS may some day be able to provide higher quality US players as they grow.
agree.

for the short term, it's great that he'll finally get the intangibles of being a pro- the daily competition in training (probably more the case in Gemany), complete dedication to the craft, surrounded by higher level of play, etc. I don't know that he'd start either place- but hopefully he goes where he can maximize his playing time. If it's Germany, there's always the option of a loan too.

Friedel gives his opinion on the US Soccer vs MLS topic. I think this is phrased a bit awkward since US Soccer and MLS are in bed together financially. I think he was more trying to say JK vs MLS.

What ever he meant, if he is being honest about his approach, I think it is a very healthy process.

As always, you need to read this with an English accent :)

=====================================

"I can only go by the medians that I have within U.S. Soccer, and by all means I can categorically say this: U.S. Soccer is not anti-MLS," said Friedel. "They're the complete polar opposite of anti-MLS. U.S. Soccer needs MLS to get better and grow. if MLS doesn't grow, then U.S. Soccer has a really hard time finding players. They're not the anti-MLS. There will be discussions from club to club on where improvements can be made, absolutely. But Jurgen [Klinsmann] and Andi [Herzog] are not anti-MLS. They want a bigger pool of players to choose from, which I think any national team manager around the world wants.

"There's a lot of poorly run clubs everywhere in the world. They can't just focus on an MLS club. You look at what's going on at Bolton right now. They can't pay the players. I haven't heard that in MLS. You hear that in Spain ... I know that since I've taken the job, I'm consistently on the phones with MLS clubs. I want to go in, I want to watch, I want to see what they do. I'll give my opinions privately if they want them, but absolutely try to work together. I would love to have 70 or 80 players with a 1998 birth year I could choose from. If I could get it up to 200, that would be even better. Jurgen would want the same."

Colorado staying really busy in the rumor mill. Now they are rumored to be trying to get Tim Howard after Nantes refused to sell Bedoya.

http://www.espnfc.com/soccer-transfers/story/2787394/colorado-rapids-want-to-bring-tim-howard-to-mls-sources
Colorado just made a big trade sending their starting keeper to Toronto and getting back draft picks and more importantly TAM which can be used to help buy down a DP contract.

This might be the prelude to signing Howard.

Werder Bremen has stated that Morris has chosen to stay in the US. No word from Seattle yet

http://www.werder.de/de/profis/news/57711.php

here is the google translation

"The player has made ​​it clear after intensive discussions that he currently sees its future in America," said gauge. "This decision, we respect, of course. We are in a situation where we need players who identify with Werder and the way here completely and can fully focus on the task. That is why we refrain from an obligation, but will continue to narrow Contact him hold and consider a future collaboration, "says the Managing Director Sport on.

Morris had traveled after the training camp of the Werder players to Belek and took part in the training since penultimate Monday of the Green-Whites. The 21-year-old will not train this afternoon by 15 clock with the team.

Some might remember all time great George Weah settled in the US for a time and had a child Timothy. Tim is currently a US youth international and has moved to the PSG U17 team, where he scored a hat trick on his debut yesterday.

Ives is speculating that Bremen's offer did not beat Seattle's enough for him to make the move.

Would be a kick in every ones teeth if he decides to return to Stanford after all of this :)

Ives is speculating that Bremen's offer did not beat Seattle's enough for him to make the move.

Would be a kick in every ones teeth if he decides to return to Stanford after all of this :)
If it's like basketball or football, the NCAA ship has sailed. Once you declare you're a pro, you can't undo that.

Super impressive. JK might want to consider a 2 minute WCQ cap for this kid asap.

This is in reference to Spurs FA Cup game.

Tottenham Academy@thfcacademy
And finally, I hear both Carter-Vickers and Winks are set to be in the squad for the first team game on Wednesday

Some might remember all time great George Weah settled in the US for a time and had a child Timothy. Tim is currently a US youth international and has moved to the PSG U17 team, where he scored a hat trick on his debut yesterday.
I either didn't know or remember that Weah came here and had a kid.

Can we have CRO impregnate some American model sooner than later?

Lock him in room with Serena Williams, imo

Weah kept a home in NY throughout his playing career.

Wait, is the Ronaldo stuff schtick or not?

Maybe you forgot, but Ronaldo already did that back in 2010 :)

He impregnated an American woman and the child was born in the US. I believe that makes his son an automatic US citizen but the child is being raised outside of the US by Ronaldo who has sole custody.

I have not read who stated this originally but someone on BS said they read a report which indicated that the Bremen contract to Morris had language in it that could have put Morris in a bind should they have been relegated.

I have no idea if that was true or speculation though.

"We've had some direct conversations, but we're both German so we can talk about things. I always find it interesting sometimes the sensitivities of certain people or cultures where if you say, 'I don't agree with you,' they view that as you not liking them when it's just not agreeing with a particular point and everything else is fine."

-- Seattle Sounders coach Sigi Schmid, who said he had some direct discussions with U.S. national team Jurgen Klinsmann regarding Jordan Morris, whom Klinsmann recommended for a trial at German club Werder Bremen.

From Julie Stewart-Binks

Kekuta Manneh said he's been in contact w/ Jurgen Klinsmann who wants him for US-still waiting on passport, might want to play for Gambia.

Sounds like Benny went straight after Klinsmann at MLS media day today. Specifically mentioned Sacha, Hedges, Dax, and Lichaj as guys (other than himself) who he felt JK ignored for no good reason. Good stuff.

Sounds like Benny went straight after Klinsmann at MLS media day today. Specifically mentioned Sacha, Hedges, Dax, and Lichaj as guys (other than himself) who he felt JK ignored for no good reason. Good stuff.
It is Benny's birthday today.

The strongest comment he made was that he says that JK does not call in players based on their club form which is something many people have commented on (be it good or bad).

The strongest comment he made was that he says that JK does not call in players based on their club form which is something many people have commented on (be it good or bad).
He might as well have said "Mix Diskerud is a flaming bag of dog poop."

Pulisic has played in 3 straight winter friendlies for the 1st team at Dortmund. Like CCV, this is excellent progress up the chain, especially at his age at a team likely overflowing in youth talent.

Just read an article about this today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/01/19/jurgen-klinsmann-usmnt-player-selection-policy-benny-feilhaber-major-league-soccer/79038792/

He mentions that the coaches primary duties should be:

1) Make the best possible team that you can possibly make with the players that are available to you.

2) Try to continuously improve that team so that team doesn’t stall in any way and continues to improve.

He says that Jurgen is so fixated on #2 (making the team better 5 years from now) that he ignores #1 which is to be the best possible NOW.

Just read an article about this today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/01/19/jurgen-klinsmann-usmnt-player-selection-policy-benny-feilhaber-major-league-soccer/79038792/

He mentions that the coaches primary duties should be:

1) Make the best possible team that you can possibly make with the players that are available to you.

2) Try to continuously improve that team so that team doesn’t stall in any way and continues to improve.

He says that Jurgen is so fixated on #2 (making the team better 5 years from now) that he ignores #1 which is to be the best possible NOW.
Yes. I thought his comments were fair and not particularly bitter (and perfectly appropriate as he's an "outsider" to the program). I think that's one way to read Klinsmann's consistent inclusion of players like Brooks and Yedlin, who have been inconsistent for club and country. Both may be stalwarts in two or three years, but neither should be an autostart right now. I even tweeted back at Lalas who was doing his usual contrarian shtick.

Alexi was saying that all coaches have favorites and preferences. This is true. I just pointed out that those favorites and preferences are fair game for comment when you finish 4th at the Gold Cup. I'm not sure if Benny should make the XI. I still don't know exactly what shape fits Bradley best (playing him as a 6 seems just as wrong as playing him as a 10, IMO). But in a team that struggles with giveaways, you can't tell me that players like Benny, Sacha, and Dax wouldn't help.

JK thoughts on Morris, doing his very best to remain positive about how Morris chose

====================================

CARSON, California -- U.S. men's national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann has given his full approval to an apparent decision by Jordan Morris to start his professional career in Major League Soccer with the Seattle Sounders.

Morris concluded a 10-day trial with Bundesliga side Werder Bremen and even assisted on a goal in a training match back on Jan. 15. But just days after taking an optimistic tack as to Morris' potential capture, the club announced Tuesday that they wouldn't be offering the Stanford junior a contract.

That news cleared the way for Morris to sign with Seattle, who have reportedly offered him the richest homegrown player contract in MLS history.

"I'm thrilled that Jordan decided to go pro," Klinsmann said in an exclusive interview with ESPN FC. "This is the really important decision. And I'm thrilled with the Sounders, that he goes into an environment that he knows, that he feels comfortable with, and that he feels now that, 'At this specific point in time, this is the best move for me.'"

Morris, a former U20 international, has long been considered a rising talent in the U.S. system. But he really caught Klinsmann's eye when he scored in a training match for Stanford against the U.S. during the team's preparations for the 2014 World Cup.

Morris made his full international debut in a friendly against Ireland the following November. He then scored his first goal at full international level six months later when he netted in a 2-0 win over Mexico.

Since then, the attention on Morris has skyrocketed. He recently led Stanford to the collegiate national championship, scoring 13 goals and adding three assists, and his decision as to his first pro destination has been eagerly awaited. Official confirmation has yet to be communicated by the Sounders, but Klinsmann sounded satisfied with Morris' likely landing spot.

"[Morris] feels he's not ready for Europe," Klinsmann said. "He feels the next big step for him is the Sounders where he knows everybody, and for us it's great because the moment he steps now on the training field he's in a professional environment. That's good."

Klinsmann did add that the he was pleased that Morris took the opportunity to train with Werder Bremen, an arrangement that was set up by U.S. national team assistant Andi Herzog, himself a former Bremen player.

"Morris got a sense for a Bundesliga team, a European team," he said. "That kind of gave him a first hint of, 'How is it handled overseas, and how does it compare to what I know in Seattle?'

"I'm just happy that this step -- Stanford too -- to a professional level is now happening. I think it's good timing for him, and we get him now on a far more intense schedule and demanding environment that he has to fight his way through at the pro level."

So does Klinsmann wish Morris had turned pro earlier?

"No, for us, when we saw him, even before we had that scrimmage at the World Cup, we saw the potential, we saw the talent," he said. "But we also saw the personal development, meaning the off the field development.

"I think the timing of how he actually went with [stanford head coach] Jeremy Gunn guiding him through the process was instinctively really thought through. You can't expect that you win the NCAA then at the end of that path, but it couldn't have been any more perfect. Because he leaves college now with that very, very special achievement and pushes himself to the pros.

"Looking at all these choices that he made so far, they were all very, very good choices, good decisions that he made."

Seattle is putting on a big press conference on Thursday which is almost assuredly going to be the announcement of the Morris signing. Owner, gm, sporting director and coach will all be present.

The last time Seattle put on a press conference this big was to announce the Dempsey signing.

A lot of speculation is that if Seattle does not move anyone, then Morris will simply slot into Lamar Neagles role at the very least, as Neagle was traded this off season. Neagle saw time in 34 games last year so the minutes are there for Morris to show what he has.

He might as well have said "Mix Diskerud is a flaming bag of dog poop."
Mix could play for me anytime.

JK responds to Benny

=======

But Klinsmann noted that Feilhaber's perspective is that of a player while his is that of a coach. He insisted that he continues to monitor the play of McCarty, Hedges, and Kljestan. But the U.S. manager noted that Feilhaber has had multiple opportunities.

"We had [Feilhaber] several times with us, and he was not able to make a mark," said Klinsmann in an exclusive interview. "Benny unfortunately was never able to step up to an international level with me. Whatever was before was before.

"We gave him the opportunity a couple of times in our environment and he was never able to put a stamp on the game. That's why he's not invited here, because he's not on my level, not consistent enough."

"We coaches over a longer period of time, we see how everybody performs, and we make up our own mind," said Klinsmann. "And then every player has to fit into what we are actually doing. So you can certainly argue about individual players. He just might not match what we are looking for, or how we want to play. Or how we put the pieces together.

"There are many different aspects to the game. There's the playing side, the chemistry side, it's how people match. What is the dynamic of the group, and so on. So many points come into the decision as to why some people are part of it then and why some people aren't part of it."

JK responds to Benny

=======

But Klinsmann noted that Feilhaber's perspective is that of a player while his is that of a coach. He insisted that he continues to monitor the play of McCarty, Hedges, and Kljestan. But the U.S. manager noted that Feilhaber has had multiple opportunities.

"We had [Feilhaber] several times with us, and he was not able to make a mark," said Klinsmann in an exclusive interview. "Benny unfortunately was never able to step up to an international level with me. Whatever was before was before.

"We gave him the opportunity a couple of times in our environment and he was never able to put a stamp on the game. That's why he's not invited here, because he's not on my level, not consistent enough."

"We coaches over a longer period of time, we see how everybody performs, and we make up our own mind," said Klinsmann. "And then every player has to fit into what we are actually doing. So you can certainly argue about individual players. He just might not match what we are looking for, or how we want to play. Or how we put the pieces together.

"There are many different aspects to the game. There's the playing side, the chemistry side, it's how people match. What is the dynamic of the group, and so on. So many points come into the decision as to why some people are part of it then and why some people aren't part of it."
All coaches in any sport should take note of what he is saying. I think this is where some ex players get into trouble. They look at it from both sides. As the manager (Gaffer-GM-Head Coach), you are looking at the whole puzzle, not just the pieces. Also chemistry and consistently are VERY important to managers yet Ibdont think players and fans realize just how much. Thanks for the posting.

JK responds to Benny

=======

But Benny was playing the best soccer of his career last summer. Maybe he took JK's past criticisms to heart and worked on holes in his game? I mean I played like crap my freshman year on the varsity team when I got any play, but I was a starter the next 3 years. Players get better or get 'in-form'. It happens.

Plus, Mix is a flaming sack of doo that cares too much about his pretty hair. So I side w/ Benny on all of this. (I'm also a Sporting fan, so I'm not unbiased.)

Users who are viewing this thread