What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (3 Viewers)

The Mexican Federation made a statement recently which said that targeting US born/based players is going to be a priority for them.
Like targeting in games (which has been going on for years)?

Or targeting as in they want kids of (illegal) immigrants? Most Mexican immigrants are loyal to 'El Tri' so shouldn't be too hard for them to get the players.
They are going to be using a full court press on the kids. The club teams have been doing it for a while but now it appears to be a mandate from top to bottom.

I think the idea is that with 30 million Mexicans in the US there is likely a ton of talent that is being overlooked by the normal channels that still see too much pay for play model.

Seems really early for the miazga move. I worry he'll get lost in the shuffle if he doesn't end up in a great loan situation next year.
I fear this same thing too but this transfer was coming once Miazga refused to sign with NY this winter. They needed to sell him else lose him on a free after this season.

I do kind of wish it was to a team he could play for right away instead of one that he likely needs to work a loan for but it is what it is.

I guess I'm just an optimist at heart...

given the current situation, as was already discussed, he could possibly slip in this season for some PT, and maybe more with injuries in front of him, and especially if Chelsea secure relegation safety early. plus getting practice time with what should be a fantastic learning resource in Terry, given that he's not as much of an ahole in training as he appears to be everywhere else and is willing to teach. but yeah... given more thought, other competitor/players on loan and Chelsea likely looking to bring in some splashier players that will cost more than the relative pittance of $5mil, it's not likely.

somebody mentioned Stones... seems like a similar type of player to me so far: tall, decent read for the game, decent tackler, decent in the air, young, a bit slight but could put some meat on the bones. Stones hasn't exactly covered himself with glory this year after all the adoration last year- but he's getting regular minutes for a decent team. If Miazga can do that (he's only a year younger than Stones), fantastic.

MLS doesn't even start until March 6. So even if he never gets a minute for the 1st team this season, he's essentially missed 2 months of live games. As others have pointed out, Chelsea has an extensive loan program. They view it as a revenue stream even for those prospects who never get a game with Chelsea. He will get loan opportunities in the worst case. That often doesn't happen with West Ham, where a guy can just die in the reserves.

I think this is about as risk-free a proposition for Matt as it can get.

I used to be able to know this stuff with 100% certainty but the years have worn away my memory.

Would Miazga be the first US player ever to play* for Chelsea?

*Assuming he ever does play for them of course.

By the way, I have to continue to give credit the the MetroBulls development system. That is one hell of a pipeline (relative to all other MLS teams) they have created to Europe for players they have either drafted or home gown.

Howard, Ream, Bradley, Jozy, and now Miazga.

By the way, I have to continue to give credit the the MetroBulls development system. That is one hell of a pipeline (relative to all other MLS teams) they have created to Europe for players they have either drafted or home gown.

Howard, Ream, Bradley, Jozy, and now Miazga.
and Jonny Walker!

I used to be able to know this stuff with 100% certainty but the years have worn away my memory.

There was Roy Wegerle in the 80's. He's South African, US citizen by marriage, so not born/developed in the US. Similar to Kyle Scott, who's a UK national, been with CFC since U10, but is USMNT eligible and has played for the US U18s.

I am not feeling great about our GK position lately

* Howard is clearly not only on the back 9 but walking to the club house

* Guzan has lost his spot at Aston Villa and might be looking for a new team come the summer if Villa is relegated

* Our 2 best "next gen" keepers in Johnson and Hamid can't stay healthy to take advantage of their limited opportunities

* The best keeper prospect in MLS just turned down a call up to remain with Mexico's set up

I do really like what I have seen of Zach Steffan though and hope he can find he way to get loaned some where to get some playing time. I feel like he could start in MLS right now if he were here, but in Germany it might take a little while longer.
I haven't been following him closely but how's Cody Cropper been progressing? He getting any games?

* Guzan has lost his spot at Aston Villa and might be looking for a new team come the summer if Villa is relegated

* Our 2 best "next gen" keepers in Johnson and Hamid can't stay healthy to take advantage of their limited opportunities

* The best keeper prospect in MLS just turned down a call up to remain with Mexico's set up

I do really like what I have seen of Zach Steffan though and hope he can find he way to get loaned some where to get some playing time. I feel like he could start in MLS right now if he were here, but in Germany it might take a little while longer.
I haven't been following him closely but how's Cody Cropper been progressing? He getting any games?
#### that guy.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
NewlyRetired said:

After doing nothing at Southampton the past 3 years, he moved to Milton Keynes in the Championship.

He has played 3 games for MK. Two in the League Cup and 1 in the FA Cup

CletiusMaximus said:
NewlyRetired said:

There was Roy Wegerle in the 80's. He's South African, US citizen by marriage, so not born/developed in the US. Similar to Kyle Scott, who's a UK national, been with CFC since U10, but is USMNT eligible and has played for the US U18s.
Wegerle was one of those guys, like Preki who made the now unheard of jump from playing indoor soccer to playing in England. I think Chelsea was second division at the time (what is now The Championship)?

Wegerle also came over as a teenager to the US and played college soccer here and then played at the very end of the old NASL before moving indoors.

I think there was a time when Wegerle held the record for having the eligibility for the most countries at one time. I think if memory serves he was eligible for the US, England, Germany and South Africa.

Copa Presale Tickets.

Received an email today to get Orlando Venue Tickets... 3 games - only known team is Brasil. Total price range for the 3 games is $500-$1900.

Lower Level Rows B-L (Rows 2-11)
US $0.00 - US $1,900.00

Lower Level Front Row Seating
US $0.00 - US $1,500.00

US $0.00US $1,500.00
Lower Level Rows M and Higher (Rows 12+)
US $0.00 - US $1,100.00

Loge Box Seating w/ Indoor Lounge Access
US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
Upper Level Seating (3rd level)
US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
Club Seating w/ Indoor Lounge Access
US $0.00 - US $600.00

US $0.00US $600.00
Club Seating w/ RP Funding Open-Air Club
US $0.00 - US $540.00

US $0.00US $540.00
Plaza Level Regular Seating (2nd level)
US $0.00 - US $495.00

US $0.00US $495.00

Copa Presale Tickets.

Received an email today to get Orlando Venue Tickets... 3 games - only known team is Brasil. Total price range for the 3 games is $500-$1900.

US $0.00 - US $1,900.00

US $0.00 - US $1,500.00

US $0.00US $1,500.00
US $0.00 - US $1,100.00

US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
US $0.00 - US $600.00

US $0.00US $600.00
US $0.00 - US $540.00

US $0.00US $540.00
US $0.00 - US $495.00

US $0.00US $495.00
Meadowlands are $370- $1,315 per ticket.

yeah. no.

Copa Presale Tickets.

US $0.00 - US $1,900.00

US $0.00 - US $1,500.00

US $0.00US $1,500.00

US $0.00 - US $1,100.00

US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00

US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00

US $0.00 - US $600.00

US $0.00US $600.00

US $0.00 - US $540.00

US $0.00US $540.00

US $0.00 - US $495.00

US $0.00US $495.00

yeah. no.
I am a huge fan obviously.

Money is not an issue for me.

And even saying those two things, I still can't justify the cost. We knew the prices were going to be high but jesus, that is a lot of money for even a halfway decent seat.

trying to remember... the Meadowlands is just the final or semis, right?
3 games total

One group stage

One quarterfinal

The final
Meadowlands prices do not include the Final. Those apparently will be doled out at a later date via lottery to all pass buyers:

HOW DO I PURCHASE TICKETS TO THE FINAL AT METLIFE STADIUM ON JUNE 26?

All fans who purchase Copa Venue Passes during the first phase of ticket sales (ending on Feb. 19) will be entered into a lottery for priority access to purchase tickets for the Copa America Centenario Final at MetLife Stadium on June 26.

trying to remember... the Meadowlands is just the final or semis, right?
3 games total

One group stage

One quarterfinal

The final
Meadowlands prices do not include the Final. Those apparently will be doled out at a later date via lottery to all pass buyers:

HOW DO I PURCHASE TICKETS TO THE FINAL AT METLIFE STADIUM ON JUNE 26?

All fans who purchase Copa Venue Passes during the first phase of ticket sales (ending on Feb. 19) will be entered into a lottery for priority access to purchase tickets for the Copa America Centenario Final at MetLife Stadium on June 26.
thanks. so it's $370min for the early games, who knows for the final.

oh well.

Copa Presale Tickets.

US $0.00 - US $1,900.00

US $0.00 - US $1,500.00

US $0.00US $1,500.00
US $0.00 - US $1,100.00

US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
US $0.00 - US $600.00

US $0.00US $600.00
US $0.00 - US $540.00

US $0.00US $540.00
US $0.00 - US $495.00

US $0.00US $495.00

yeah. no.
The "Venue ticket" price is for all three games though, right? So in Orlando, the per-game price range is $500 - [whatever $495/3 is], correct?

dunno.

just ran through "buying" tickets for meadowlands hoping that I'm misreading and it might be $370 for the pair, not single ticket. nope. plus $50 in fees.

Copa Presale Tickets.

US $0.00 - US $1,900.00

US $0.00 - US $1,500.00

US $0.00US $1,500.00
US $0.00 - US $1,100.00

US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
US $0.00 - US $750.00

US $0.00US $750.00
US $0.00 - US $600.00

US $0.00US $600.00
US $0.00 - US $540.00

US $0.00US $540.00
US $0.00 - US $495.00

US $0.00US $495.00

yeah. no.
The "Venue ticket" price is for all three games though, right? So in Orlando, the per-game price range is $500 - [whatever $495/3 is], correct?
That's my understanding. for easy math.. the Club Level tickets that are 600... It's 200/ticket/game.

Copa Presale Tickets.

I got what I'm assuming is the same email, and upper deck tickets are only $150 for the set?

Brazil is the only known team, but it's also known that the US (and Argentina) won't be in any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some CCV news - Jan Vertonghen left Saturday's game with a knee injury - no word on the severity yet. But, this should open the door for CCV to make the bench in a few league games. Carter-Vickers is not really any closer to seeing the field - Spurs have a back-up for Vertonghen, and if another injury hits, Dier would move back to CB. But, it should mean increased training with the first team, which is also good for his development.
Quick update - Vertonghen looks to be out for about two months, and there are no indications Spurs are going to sign anyone in defense this window. Spurs play Colchester this weekend in the FA cup, and ordinarily, this would be a game that CCV might have expected to see the field, but I expect Alderweireld will start opposite Wimmer so they get some game time together before the next league game.

This article is fun!

It is a detailed analytical look at the top 50 ranked countries through out 2015 and compares them in random areas like average height, average weight, average age, where they play club soccer, minutes played, country of birth compared to country they play for etc etc

Give it a read through is you like relatively meaningless data.

Check out the minutes played in 2015. Mikey redefines work horse :)

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr11/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
Jones does not seem to want to acknowledge that he put himself in this bad situation because of the moronic way he got the 6 game suspension.

=========================================================

CARSON, Calif. -- United States defender Jermaine Jones is frustrated and angry about a six-game suspension that he says is making it tough to leave Major League Soccer.

Jones voiced his frustration and anger over his predicament on Thursday before training with his American teammates.

The 34-year-old Jones is out of contract after spending the last one and a half seasons with the New England Revolution. Jones said he has offers in Germany and other countries, but they are complicated by his pending six-game MLS suspension for touching referee Mark Geiger late in a New England playoff game last October.

"It's a little bit ridiculous, everything. It's a little bit crazy," he said. "So I get a six game suspension in this league. I told the league that I want to go, I have some opportunities."

FIFA regulations require suspensions to be applied across leagues, and MLS commissioner Don Garber already rejected Jones' appeal of the ban in December. If Jones signs with a Bundesliga team, he would have to miss six games in Germany, where he said clubs are wary of acquiring him because their seasons are already half over.

"All other leagues, its half a season played," he said. "If you have a six-game suspension, its tough to bring [someone] in. I feel like its unfair that you close a window for a player that did a lot for this country and this sport here."

Jones got his ban when he confronted Geiger about an uncalled penalty in the 92nd minute of a playoff game. Jones put both of his hands on the referee, earning a red card, and then pulled Geiger's shoulder.

yikes, this is awful. Speculation is that it was Convey that plunged this knife into Miazga's back.

==============================================================================

https://twitter.com/TSF/status/692805459066101760/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
If it's Convey, I don't think it means much. He played with him in 2014. I thought Miazga was a naïve defender in 2014 too. He had just come out of their academy for Christ's sake. That's why it was so shocking how much Miazga had improved in 2015.

Miazga update.

* Miazga left US camp to go to England for a physical which he supposedly passed last night

* Hiddink confirmed that Miazga will not go out on loan this season (which I think makes good sense)

Chelsea are set to add to their defensive ranks with the signing of 20-year-old Miazga from the New York Red Bulls, and Hiddink confirmed that the United States international will be part of the first-team squad -- taking the slot vacated by Papy Djilobodji, who joined Werder Bremen on loan earlier this month -- rather than heading out on loan for the rest of the season.

"We don't rush him but he will be one of the squad members for the future," Hiddink said of Miazga. "He's a young guy stepping up to the national team and it's always good to have such players here so you can see what they are capable of in training.

"He's a young player, a promising player -- let's see if he can get himself to the high demands of this club and the Premier League."

Mauricio Pochettino believes reserves like 18-year-old Carter-Vickers have what it takes to help fill the void.

“We have a lot of players in defensive positions that can play. We have another youngster from the academy, Cameron Carter-Vickers,” said Pochettino. “He’s young but he has enough quality, and he’s been training with us from the beginning of the season and playing with the Under-21s.

“I think it’s a good opportunity (for him) to stay with us now more consistently. I don’t expect to (sign a player to) cover Jan Vertonghen, I think we have enough players to cover his injury.”

Orozco has been added to the roster for the Iceland game, I assume as a replacement for Miazga.

Here is the roster for Sunday

U.S. Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)
DEFENDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Parker (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire), Brandon Vincent (Chicago Fire), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Jermaine Jones (unattached), Perry Kitchen (unattached), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Tony Tchani (Columbus Crew SC), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)
FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Ethan Finlay (Columbus Crew SC), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Khiry Shelton (New York City FC), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Can't help but wonder about this Miazga deal.
what are your thoughts?

I have convinced myself not to get nervous until next fall. If he is not getting regular minutes next fall some where in either the Championship or better, I will be disappointed.

I was thinking the other day about all the best US CB over the years, Doyle, Balboa, Boca, Gooch, Lalas, Pope, Besler and others.

Comparing them at the same age, Miazga is ahead of everyone of them. But as we know that does not always mean he will project out better as a final player but I really do have some hope for him if he does not spoil on a bench next season.

Does anyone know if Pulisic is eligible for other countries besides the US?

I was thinking that if the US managed to win the next 2 WCQers against Guat (home and home), I think that would give the US qualification to the hex with 2 games to go and would allow JK the chance to cap tie some players in the last 2 games (CCV is probably the most important to lock down since he is certainly eligible for England if they ever come calling but locking in Pulisic just in case certainly seems to be a smart move).

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
Does anyone know if Pulisic is eligible for other countries besides the US?

I was thinking that if the US managed to win the next 2 WCQers against Guat (home and home), I think that would give the US qualification to the hex with 2 games to go and would allow JK the chance to cap tie some players in the last 2 games (CCV is probably the most important to lock down since he is certainly eligible for England if they ever come calling but locking in Pulisic just in case certainly seems to be a smart move).
He has a Croatian passport which I believe is why he was able to go to BVB at 17
crap. This is never easy is it?

But if this is not an illusion (or the result of 65 injuries on Dortmund's roster) and he has the chance to be a regular sub, I think JK would have every right to call him up and cap tie him this round of qualifying.

This is not like a CCV situation where he has not yet broken through. No one could complain about a kid getting capped if he was playing for Dortmund because we all know there are plenty of current US players who could not accomplish that no matter what their age.

Speaking of cap tying, I read online (reddit maybe) that the Copa Centenario this summer might not be a cap tying tournament for CONCACAF based players like the Gold Cup is.

I am unsure if that was just speculation or if some one really knows the rules in this strange case.

Users who are viewing this thread