What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

Good interview here from Bundesliga.com with Gio.  It is surreal how we are watching the same path for Gio with the exact same team as we did for Pulisic.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/gio-reyna-hopefully-i-can-play-with-pulisic-soon-in-the-usa-national-team-usmnt-9909
Great interview. I was surprised that there was no questions about his schooling or trying to learn German.  I remember when CP was there, that always seemed to be a line of questioning (how he was assimilating etc..) .  I think that CP learning German really helped him.  I dont' know how much it helped him on the pitch, but I'm convinced the BVB fans really fell in love with him b/c he went 'all-in' on that type of stuff. 

Great interview. I was surprised that there was no questions about his schooling or trying to learn German.  I remember when CP was there, that always seemed to be a line of questioning (how he was assimilating etc..) .  I think that CP learning German really helped him.  I dont' know how much it helped him on the pitch, but I'm convinced the BVB fans really fell in love with him b/c he went 'all-in' on that type of stuff. 
Pulisic actually had a really tough time assimilating in the beginning. 

He got sad and lonely and  wanted to come home.  His dad and mom then made the monumental decision to split the family unit, and the dad moved to Dortmund and brought with him Will Pulisic (Christian's cousin who was moving to Germany to play).  The three then lived together which enormously helped Christian get the time he needed to finally assimilate.

That took a monster commitment from his family.   If we remember, Landon went through a very similar thing when he went to Germany but had no support system and ended up coming home.

If there is anyone who could do this it would be Buffon :)

===============================

Buffon leaves San Siro with Daniel Maldini’s shirt: “In my collection I have Chiesa and son, Thuram and son, Weah and son, and now Maldini and son. I’m waiting for their grandchildren”

El Floppo said:
Getting an Obi-vibe from our boys lately. We've at least seen swag for the US...but CP and Adams- no more whammies.
Pulisic's style generates hard tackles against him and can lead to injuries.

Swag's throws his body at anything that moves, jumps into really contested spots, all of which can lead to injuries.

It is Adams I don't get.  He plays the calmest game of any US player maybe since Claudio.   His style should not be leading to so many injuries.   I am hopeful he is in just a bad patch here.

NewlyRetired said:
he coaches my team so I am stuck with him until he retires :)

One thing I will never understand is how he flipped his whole philosophy that last game.

Earlier in the hex, he had a tight schedule of back to back games.  T&T at home and then a couple of days later at Mexico.  For that Mexico game, he changed an enormous amount of the team to play against Mexico to have fresh legs.   But for some reason when he had a similar back to back the last game, he trotted out almost the identical team that played only a couple of days earlier.  And the team looked dead against T&T.

=============

Now there is no agreeing with his statement from a high level, but we have to acknowledge it was pretty close.  It took ridiculous come backs in two other games, in the second half, that night to help knock out the US.

And lets not forget that goal that wasn't.  If this doesn't get called a goal, the US would likely have qualified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txw1gPURFT0
Also the two goals T&T scored wouldn't be replicated if the players had stayed on the field after the game for the last three years trying to do it again.

We've been one game from elimination at least a couple other times in the last few cycles.  We just happened to crap out with a flukey result at the wrong time in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is anyone who could do this it would be Buffon :)

===============================

Buffon leaves San Siro with Daniel Maldini’s shirt: “In my collection I have Chiesa and son, Thuram and son, Weah and son, and now Maldini and son. I’m waiting for their grandchildren”
Francesco Totti is a notorious collector as well. He has almost everyone. he's played with and most of the Maldini's besides Daniel now but I bet had he still been playing already would've had it

Back with news on Ac Milan continued interest in Antonio Robinson. Just as I suspected there is a future plan for A-Rob. Milan wanted to sign him after getting rid of Ricardo Rodriguez to back up Theo Hernandez. However remember I said AC Milan lacked Consistency at the RB? Well Calcio Mercato is now reporting both Right backs Conte and David Calabria could be should. Calabria would be a net gain as he was a academy product. Sounds like Milan believes Robinson could be there future RB with 2 other names mentioned here. 

Milan to revamp entire Right Back position in Defense. Antonee Robinson is still of interest

blend said:
Good for him and why wouldn't you? If I was a player I'd want to learn the language too to better help my daily life on and off the pitch and have communication with the supporters. I use to day dream of being in Milan and the Curva ending up loving me because I literally adapted and took Milan in as my adopted home from culture to learning the language and everything in between. It's little things like that, which go a long way when a player is in a slump that fans will stay by you. 

NewlyRetired said:
Pulisic actually had a really tough time assimilating in the beginning. 

He got sad and lonely and  wanted to come home.  His dad and mom then made the monumental decision to split the family unit, and the dad moved to Dortmund and brought with him Will Pulisic (Christian's cousin who was moving to Germany to play).  The three then lived together which enormously helped Christian get the time he needed to finally assimilate.

That took a monster commitment from his family.   If we remember, Landon went through a very similar thing when he went to Germany but had no support system and ended up coming home.
A great investment for the Pulisic line and all its future generations from the look of things.

17 year old Kobe Foster Hernandez has left LA Galaxy and signed with Wolfsburg in Germany.  He will join them when turns 18 this summer.  This team likes young yanks.  I think that makes 4 Americans in their youth programs.  Hopefully Uly breaks through soon.

17 year old Kobe Foster Hernandez has left LA Galaxy and signed with Wolfsburg in Germany.  He will join them when turns 18 this summer.  This team likes young yanks.  I think that makes 4 Americans in their youth programs.  Hopefully Uly breaks through soon.
Wonder how much of that is teams hoping to cash in on an American like Dortmund did with Pulisic.  Without the American label he'd have been $30M cheaper for Chelsea.  Wonder if "American" in Europe is going to be the new "British" in EPL standard overpay going forward.

CP training w chels u23s, but ruled out for game vs MU
I just posted this in the other thread but the news is so big I might as well cross post.

Pulisic's chances to be in Champions League next year just got a massive boost as UEFA has banned Man City from Champions League play for the next two seasons, so I assume the 5th place team will get the UCL spot.

The Klinsmann story of quitting is so strange.  Now he seems to be saying he did not like the idea of the modern German GM

=====================

https://twitter.com/RaeComm/status/1227677974272651265?s=20
Wow, each day brings a new twist.  The Athletic, as always, seems to have gotten to the bottom of it or at least partially.

Hertha was the team that Jonathan Klinsmann was on until he was released.  It appears JK was angry about this and immediately fired the GKing coach when he took over the job.  It is suggested that JK wanted to use his new position to get his kid back in the Bundesliga but the Hertha president balked at this which helped lead to the quick quitting.

Jesus, if this stuff is only partially true, we may never see JK coach again.

I just posted this in the other thread but the news is so big I might as well cross post.

Pulisic's chances to be in Champions League next year just got a massive boost as UEFA has banned Man City from Champions League play for the next two seasons, so I assume the 5th place team will get the UCL spot.
Wow thats big ...and a big screw up by City.

Wow, each day brings a new twist.  The Athletic, as always, seems to have gotten to the bottom of it or at least partially.

Hertha was the team that Jonathan Klinsmann was on until he was released.  It appears JK was angry about this and immediately fired the GKing coach when he took over the job.  It is suggested that JK wanted to use his new position to get his kid back in the Bundesliga but the Hertha president balked at this which helped lead to the quick quitting.

Some folks mary say this is karma for Jonathan mocking Landon. 

Personally I’m  ok if I never see either Klinsman again

I've avoided paying attention to the JK crap in here, but seeing this?  Even if its partially true, I say good riddance.  :thumbdown:

I've avoided paying attention to the JK crap in here, but seeing this?  Even if its partially true, I say good riddance.  :thumbdown:
this seems petty, even by JK standards.

I did a search on BBC for pulisic and came up with this. nothing too new, but I found it interesting.

It is a little over two years since Jadon Sancho made his first league start for Borussia Dortmund but such is the club's commitment to youth, they are already talking about two even younger players to highlight their approach.

In December, Sancho became the youngest player to reach 22 Bundesliga goals, having already become the youngest Dortmund player to score 10 league goals in a single campaign in 2018-19.

His arrival from Manchester City for £10m in 2017 without playing a first-team game for the Blues is in line with Dortmund's recruitment policy.

"The way we do things didn't happen by accident, or by coincidence," said legendary Borussia Dortmund midfielder Lars Ricken, who is now the club's head of youth.

"It is a clear and obvious strategy not to buy superstars but to create them."

The German club stand to make a massive profit if, as expected, 19-year-old Sancho leaves in the summer for a fee likely to be in excess of £100m.

In January 2019, Dortmund sold another youth player, USA forward Christian Pulisic, then aged 20, to Chelsea for £58m, and immediately took him on loan for the remainder of the campaign.

Over the past seven months, Dortmund have done two more eye-catching deals. In January, they beat Manchester United to the signing of talented 19-year-old Norwegian forward Erling Braut Haaland, who has already scored eight goals in five first-team appearances.

And in July they brought Giovanni Reyna, son of former Manchester City and USA midfielder Claudio, over from the United States. He made his senior debut in January despite only celebrating his 17th birthday in November.

'We developed them to become superstars'

Dortmund's philosophy emerged from the financial crisis that brought the club to its knees in 2004, seven years after Ricken scored on the greatest night in the club's history, as they won the European Cup for the first - and so far, only - time.

Dortmund's last Bundesliga-winning team under Jurgen Klopp in 2012 included homegrown Mario Gotze and Mats Hummels, who joined them as an untested 19-year-old. Both were subsequently sold to Bayern Munich for a combined £60m.

"Ousmane Dembele and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang weren't superstars when they came to Dortmund," said Ricken, who watched his under-19s side lose to Derby in a Uefa Youth League play-off at Pride Park on Tuesday.

"We developed them to become superstars. It is very important for the club.

"The reason the atmosphere in our stadium is so good is because there is a great identification between the players and the fans. The supporters see it is a gift for them to play in our stadium.

"We have signed some really good players but we also have young ones - Haaland is 19, Gio is 17. They are very light on their feet. It is great to see."

Speed is key

There is no great secret to Dortmund's recruitment policy.

Ask Ricken what features the club's scouts and coaches are looking for as they try to develop young players and the answer is universal.

"Technical skills are very important. And the quickness and speed of action," he said. "Players in our first team are all so fast. It is unbelievable.

"A few months ago, we had a player from a foreign country who was playing for our under-17s and he wasn't fast enough, so we decided not to make the transfer. It made no sense.

"The other thing is the mentality. The loads we put on the players are very high. School, football, national teams. This can all take 70 or 80 hours a week. These boys have to be grown-up, focused and disciplined at a very young age.

"Our aim is to educate players from Dortmund and the surrounding area. But if we find players from abroad with potential, we will take the risk to try and sign them. But we won't take them from the USA or England or Spain just to make our under-17 or under-19 team a little better.

"We want to find the special one. We were quite successful with Pulisic, Gio Reyna and Jacob Bruun Larsen."

Larsen is a Dane, who arrived at Dortmund as a 16-year-old in 2015 and was sold to Hoffenheim in January for £7m. Of their current crop of youngsters, Switzerland forward Bradley Fink - who is English qualified and attracting the attention of the FA - plus Dutch midfielder Immanuel Pherai and Cameroon forward Youssoufa Moukoko, who both played against Derby, are the current youth team stars.

Not like Reyna though, who has virtually bypassed the junior ranks.

"When Gio came to Dortmund, we knew he would become a professional player," said Ricken. "That was not the question.

"The question was when does he play for the first team? Summer? Winter? Three months? Six? Everybody was sure he would do it."

How to manage young players

While Dortmund view themselves as a successful football club and apply the same high standards in their junior ranks as they do at senior level, they also acknowledge a wider responsibility to the young players who come through their system with dreams of emulating Gotze, who scored Germany's winner in the 2014 World Cup final against Argentina.

"If they have problems in school or in other parts of their lives, we want to solve them. We have social workers here. We don't just choose our coaches because of their training skills but because they have wider abilities," said Ricken.

Gio on again for Dortmund.   I think this is 4 straight games now.
Solid 15 minutes from Gio.  Confident touches, won a corner and won a free kick right on edge of box as he beat his defender forcing the foul.

Possibly more importantly, it sounds like Hazzard had a very poor game today.  He is one of the players in front of Gio.

Any chance we can manufacture some documents proving his grandpa was American?
That works in many countries but not the US.  Grandfathers I believe are meaningless for American citizenship. 

But damn, talk about a perfect fit for the US.  We are going to be loaded with wide attacking players with no one in the middle to pass to.

That works in many countries but not the US.  Grandfathers I believe are meaningless for American citizenship. 

But damn, talk about a perfect fit for the US.  We are going to be loaded with wide attacking players with no one in the middle to pass to.
Good point.  Man, Norway fans have to be excited.  This kid is almost assuredly gonna be in the running for best striker in the world in the future and they have the next 15 years of getting to cheer him on.  Right now, Norway is 44th in the world ranking.  I wonder how high they can climb with this kid leading the way?

Good point.  Man, Norway fans have to be excited.  This kid is almost assuredly gonna be in the running for best striker in the world in the future and they have the next 15 years of getting to cheer him on.  Right now, Norway is 44th in the world ranking.  I wonder how high they can climb with this kid leading the way?
DONT FORGET THE NORWEGIAN MESSI TOO

I'm not kidding- Odegaard killing it in La Liga this year.
He really is.  I have read reports touting him as one of the best midfielders in La Liga.  Norway have an incredible base to work from with these two.  And with the WC unfortunately expanding, you can almost certainly book them to be here in the US in 2026.

It took Odegard a while but it clicked last year in Holland and now he is doing it again in La Liga.

He really is.  I have read reports touting him as one of the best midfielders in La Liga.  Norway have an incredible base to work from with these two.  And with the WC unfortunately expanding, you can almost certainly book them to be here in the US in 2026.

It took Odegard a while but it clicked last year in Holland and now he is doing it again in La Liga.
took him 6 years to get going.

he's 21. 

The list is so big, it is impossible to keep track of any more

=======

Football Wonderkids

@fbwonderkids

America ‘Teens’ in @UEFA

Sargent, Dest, Reyna, Weah, Richards, Ledezma, Konrad, Soto, Llanez, Méndez, Vassilev, Gloster, Edwards, Bryant, Hategan, dos Santos, Hoppe, Ritchie, Odunze, Gomez, Harper, Kelman, Sepúlveda, Imperato, Las, Butler, Sousa, Otasowie, Nigro, Yohannes, Stroud, Judge, Pynadath, Booth, J.Anderson, L.Lewis, Gioacchini, Sanogo, P.Leal, Ritaccio, Tomkinson, van Hees, N.Jones, P.Soares, Wady, Dietz, Tanton, Oliva, Hernandez Foster

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Brooks has had a really rough year, even losing his once guaranteed starting spot.

Today he is starting for the first time in a quite a while.  I believe he is starting because the regular LCB got a red card in the previous game.  Lets hope Brooks plays well today.  We do not want one of our key pieces to start getting rusty on a bench with qualification coming up this fall.

The list is so big, it is impossible to keep track of any more

=======

Football Wonderkids

@fbwonderkids

America ‘Teens’ in @UEFA

Sargent, Dest, Reyna, Weah, Richards, Ledezma, Konrad, Soto, Llanez, Méndez, Vassilev, Gloster, Edwards, Bryant, Hategan, dos Santos, Hoppe, Ritchie, Odunze, Gomez, Harper, Kelman, Sepúlveda, Imperato, Las, Butler, Sousa, Otasowie, Nigro, Yohannes, Stroud, Judge, Pynadath, Booth, J.Anderson, L.Lewis, Gioacchini, Sanogo, P.Leal, Ritaccio, Tomkinson, van Hees, N.Jones, P.Soares, Wady, Dietz, Tanton, Oliva, Hernandez Foster
every day a new name gets added.  Today Joel Bustamente officially signed with Geuther Furth in Bundesliga 2 after trialing with them.  He comes from the FC Dallas system.

He is a multi national.  American, Mexican and was born in Spain.

I feel so bad for Antonee Robinson.   He was an every game, 90 minute player before the transfer screw up and now he can't get back in the line up, almost as if Wigan is punishing him for something he could not control.

What is strange is that while it seems certain Wigan want to still sell him this summer, they may be lowering his value by not getting him back on the field.

Unless he has some sort of injury that I have not read about.......

Brooks has had a really rough year, even losing his once guaranteed starting spot.

Today he is starting for the first time in a quite a while.  I believe he is starting because the regular LCB got a red card in the previous game.  Lets hope Brooks plays well today.  We do not want one of our key pieces to start getting rusty on a bench with qualification coming up this fall.
Didn't know this. Just assumed he was broken.

Eta...like everyone else.

Guys on paper look good and hopeful for the US. Guys on field is back to hoping to just get by T&T b team.

Users who are viewing this thread