What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

Lletget has been arguably one of the best players the last year or so. 

Green I though had been doing decently well? 

Antonioni Robinhood [/djackson] was having a good season at LB and linked to big teams...still young and could grow into something solid at LB for the US. I'll say LB one more just because LB.
Good calls here...

Jozy is gonna be the assumed starter going into qualifiers.  Of course, the chance he is, and stays, healthy is like 20%.  Zardes will be the first backup at this point.  I too, hope that Weah impresses in these last few months of the season and gets a look in qualifiers.  Jozy is good enough to play striker for the WC(if his level stays up), but we absolutely can't go into Qatar with Zardes as our #9, or even our first backup there.  Sargent has to show quite a bit of improvement to even overtake Zardes IMO and we haven't really gotten to see anyone else with the full team, so it's hard to judge them.

Morris is gonna be a starting winger until one of Gio or Uly TAKE it from him.  He's been arguably the USMNT's best player the last year, including Pulisic.  While I have high hopes for both of those kids, they won't be taking Jordan's spot until they are everyday players at their clubs at least.  Nips being hurt really sucks.   Even if he wasn't a starter, he was a good enough sub and definitely would've helped, at least in the next year or two.

LB... ugh.   Maybe Robinson gets that Milan move this summer and takes off?  There are still a few years before the tourney so maybe Gloster makes massive improvements and is starting for PSV by then?  Ugly all around.

Essentially I think we have 6 positions locked down for Qatar IMO.  Pulisic will play either winger or #10, depending on everyone else's form.  McKennie and Adams will hold the 6 and the 8 if healthy.  Long will be one of the CBs.   Steffen will be the GK.  Dest will play fullback(hopefully RB, but maybe LB if no one else steps up there).  I don't include Brooks because I'm scared of this injury business of his.  Sounds like he's not even the first choice for his club anymore.  I hope that he'll revert back to form because he was our best CB, but I can't say that for sure at this point, especially if he has already lost a step.

We have the potential to be a top 15-20 team going into Qatar if everyone comes good IMO, but we could also find ourselves in the 30-35 range if injuries/old age/guys not reaching potential happens.  I think we are an incredibly shallow team wrt talent right now, so unless those kids achieve the heights we hope they will in the next 3 years it could be a struggle.

Some that have been left out...

Hoping Zegolem finds his way with NYC. 

Lletget has been arguably one of the best players the last year or so. 

Woods could end up somewhere and find his way again. Not great, but has a knack for the the quick turn and shoot when fit and firing.

Green I though had been doing decently well? 

Antonioni Robinhood [/djackson] was having a good season at LB and linked to big teams...still young and could grow into something solid at LB for the US. I'll say LB one more just because LB.
I think Lletget is the clear first choice back up right now for a central attacking midfielder and may be the starter should GGG put Pulisic out wide.

Robinson is a good call for LB.  I would be more than happy if he can get his national form to match his club form.

No, I think that is why he has to wait until he is 18 to move.  This happens to most of our players.

Pulisic and Gio both had passports so they could go over and become pros younger than 18.
I'm sure this has been discussed in here, but is it US law that players can't be pros or is it an EU Law that states non-EU players can't be pros until they are 18.  Or is it FIFA/UEFA???  Initially I thought it was US law, but that doesn't seem right with Tennis players turning pro at 14-15.  

I'm sure this has been discussed in here, but is it US law that players can't be pros or is it an EU Law that states non-EU players can't be pros until they are 18.  Or is it FIFA/UEFA???  Initially I thought it was US law, but that doesn't seem right with Tennis players turning pro at 14-15.  
Definitely not US law.  We have a bunch of <18 kids in MLS.

The rule in Europe only targets players who are considered true foreigners to the Euro Union.  Just having a passport to any Euro Union country usually allows one to play before 18 (if good enough, which is really rare to begin with).

I don't know what the rules are for countries who are not in the Euro Union.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weah got in as a late game sub yesterday.  I believe he subbed in for the last 10 minutes.  From what I read he did not get involved much to make any read on how he looked.  But getting back on the field is step 1 so at least that is out of the way.

The early rumblings from the Nips scan is that the acl did not rupture and that it is considered partially torn.   That still likely means 4+ months but it is better than the worst case knee injury.

Weah got in as a late game sub yesterday.  I believe he subbed in for the last 10 minutes.  From what I read he did not get involved much to make any read on how he looked.  But getting back on the field is step 1 so at least that is out of the way.
One news report is saying he reinjured the hamstring...

Yep. Official.
Looks like a tear and not a pull.  That may mean another long time off.  what a terrible year this has been for injuries.

Pulisic, Steffen, Adams, Miazga, Holmes, Weah and Nips are all currently on the shelf.  Hopefully Pulisic and Adams can be back soon.

@OneGoalUS

If Gio Reyna (17) sees the pitch in Dortmund’s round of 16 CL matchup vs. PSG today, he would surpass Christian Pulisic as the youngest American to ever feature in the Champions League. He’d also make the top 25 youngest players in CL history

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
NewlyRetired said:
El Floppo said:
Yep. Official.
Looks like a tear and not a pull.  That may mean another long time off.  what a terrible year this has been for injuries.

Pulisic, Steffen, Adams, Miazga, Holmes, Weah and Nips are all currently on the shelf.  Hopefully Pulisic and Adams can be back soon.
I thought he said on instagram that it was not the same leg?

Metodi_Shumanov

@shumanskoo

Dermendzhiev (Bulgarian National Team coach) on US-born Indiana Vassilev rejecting the invitation to play for Bulgaria: 'I held talks with his father Dencho, who politely declined the invitation. He told me that it was Indiana's decision because he didn't like the negative environment in Bulgaria"

I don't know if there is much to focus on tonight for Yanks in the CCL.

The two most interesting players would have been Miles Robinson and Walker Zimmerman but Robinson got hurt last week (of course) and Zimmerman got traded.

Thursday night should have more players to check in on like Roldan, Morris, Johnson and maybe Parks

I don't think I am being biased when I say Reyna is getting more done in significantly less playing time than Hazzard.

If Reus and Brandt continue to be out, I am not going to be surprised if we see Gio get his first start soon.

@FutureUsmnt

Gio Reyna's career so far:

1/18 - Bundesliga Debut, 5th youngest player to ever play in a Bundesliga match

2/4 - Youngest goalscorer in DFB Pokal history

2/18 - Youngest American to play in the Champions League, match-winning assist vs PSG

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Wow Reyna is really good.  Just drew a yellow after beating two players.
I noticed his skill too.  I was surprised they brought in a 17 year old in such an important game(and as early as they did), but it was obvious that they have good reason to trust Gio.

This is only the second time I've seen game action of him(and not just highlights).  What impressed me most was his defensive prowess.  Usually the reason that 17 year old wingers aren't played in important games is due to their defensive liability.  It's actually one of the reasons Pulisic wasn't played in some of Chelsea's early big games and he's 21.  

Gio showed today that he's not only willing to put the effort in defensively, but is actually a decent defender for a winger.  He had a couple of big tackles and even dribbled it out of trouble in his own end a few times.  That's gonna go a long ways in gaining his coach's trust.

He's way ahead of where Pulisic was defensively at 17, and honestly might be a better defender than Pulisic right now.  If he can reach the offensive prowess we think he's capable of.... he'll be a better all around player than Christian.

Looks like Atlanta is missing a bunch of defenders (Robinson and Bello are hurt and the two new defender signings don't have visa's yet)

As such, Atlanta is being forced to use Emerson Hyndmand at LB tonight if the lineup is to be believed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed his skill too.  I was surprised they brought in a 17 year old in such an important game(and as early as they did), but it was obvious that they have good reason to trust Gio.

This is only the second time I've seen game action of him(and not just highlights).  What impressed me most was his defensive prowess.  Usually the reason that 17 year old wingers aren't played in important games is due to their defensive liability.  It's actually one of the reasons Pulisic wasn't played in some of Chelsea's early big games and he's 21.  

Gio showed today that he's not only willing to put the effort in defensively, but is actually a decent defender for a winger.  He had a couple of big tackles and even dribbled it out of trouble in his own end a few times.  That's gonna go a long ways in gaining his coach's trust.

He's way ahead of where Pulisic was defensively at 17, and honestly might be a better defender than Pulisic right now.  If he can reach the offensive prowess we think he's capable of.... he'll be a better all around player than Christian.
Agree. He’s gonna be better. 

Let's just hope that Gio can keep his head on straight and listens to his father and other seasoned pros around him.  The sky is the limit with this kid.  Can't wait to see him pull on the USMNT shirt.

No joke, it might make me actually watch the WC in Qatar.

Which of these three will have the best career club and country?

Gio

Pulisic 

Adams
The fun part is Gio really has a chance to help Pulisic.  Ever since Pulisic came on the scene, most have looked at him as this generation's improved Donovan but we have all wondered/hoped that an improved Dempsey would emerge to take some focus off of Pulisic.  If Gio can function as this, we may have found our answer faster than we expected.

And while I am conscious of not rushing uber young players, I really don't want to see GGG be patient here.  If Dortmund can find playing time for him in the knock out stages of the UCL against PSG, we can find time in any qualifying game for him.

I can't answer your question but best case scenario is that we argue over which of the two was the better offensive player.

Since Adams is a much different player, he will likely be judged on a different scale since it is hard to compare a non scorer to offensive players like Pulisic and Gio.

USMNT Only

BVB coach Lucien Favre on this assist: "It's a super pass from Reyna. He plays it in brilliantly. He orients the ball very, very quickly."
It was great awareness too.... First for the immediate turn while receiving the pass, knowing he had a lane to beat two defenders, then feeling the defender coming on his right he played a nearly perfect pass to the hottest goalscorer in the world right now.  It was just good football.

Which of these three will have the best career club and country?

Gio

Pulisic 

Adams
For country it's gonna be hard for either of them to catch Pulisic.  He had the timing of coming to the USMNT when it was in a shambles and has been its best player for 3 years already at the age of 21.  Gio isn't going to be the best player on the team the moment he arrives, so while his contributions can and hopefully will be huge, he's starting behind Pulisic on that track for sure.  Adams has never been healthy enough to matter to the USMNT yet, unfortunately, but his ability to control midfield might end up as more important than either attacker.

For club?  Injuries/form/luck will have a lot to do with that.  I think Gio has a chance to be the best all around player of the three, but Adams and Pulisic can both be world class too, so a lot of other things will factor into who has a better career.

It was great awareness too.... First for the immediate turn while receiving the pass, knowing he had a lane to beat two defenders, then feeling the defender coming on his right he played a nearly perfect pass to the hottest goalscorer in the world right now.  It was just good football.
After watching him play this season (I think I have seen every minute he has played), I am coming to really respect his ability to be what I call a "pocket" player.

Some players are wide players, some play on the very edge of the back line, some sit and let the game come to them, but Gio has this Suarez like instinct to continually come back to the ball and create a quick pocket of space for himself where he can then do something offensively.

I realize some of this space he is creating is because no one knows who he is yet or what his skill set is, but I am hopeful that even when he is important enough to be mentioned for defensive tactics by the opposition, that this skill will still be very useful.   Defenders are taught not to get pulled out of position which forces passing lanes to emerge for through balls.  As such I think they are willing to let players like Gio accept balls when he is going away from goal.   But Gio has shown time and again that he can turn very quickly and make his seemingly innocent position on the field immediately look dangerous. 

Jesus christ Sunil signed the worst coaching contract ever for US Soccer.  The tax filings just came out and they still had to pay JK $1.5m last year.

NewlyRetired said:
Jesus christ Sunil signed the worst coaching contract ever for US Soccer.  The tax filings just came out and they still had to pay JK $1.5m last year.
The USMNT's own personal Bobby Bonilla contract!!

encaitar said:
Gio with an assist to Halaand... who scores a golazo!

good trivia I read this morning:  Halaand born in Leeds when his dad was playing there for United.  Reyna was born in Sunderland a couple years later when his dad was playing for Sunderland. 

Users who are viewing this thread