What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Use of the English language by Americans (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
IMO the use of the English language by Americans has deteriorated drastically over the last 30 years and It seems to not be a priority in schools anymore. I cringe not only in this forum, but at a lot of conversations I hear in public, especially from some of those under the age of 30. A lot of people not from the US speak better English than Americans do.

Last edited:
IMO the use of the English language by Americans has deteriorated drastically over the last 30 years. It seems to not be a priority in schools anymore. I cringe not only in this forum, but at a lot of conversations I hear in public, especially from some of those under the age of 30. It seems those not from the US speak better English than Americans do.

And I remember reading and hearing the same exact complaint from people 30 years ago and in particular about young people. Personally, I don't think it is any worse.

IMO the use of the English language by Americans has deteriorated drastically over the last 30 years. It seems to not be a priority in schools anymore. I cringe not only in this forum, but at a lot of conversations I hear in public, especially from some of those under the age of 30. It seems those not from the US speak better English than Americans do.

And I remember reading and hearing the same exact complaint from people 30 years ago and in particular about young people. Personally, I don't think it is any worse.
That’s your prerogative.

Deteriorated? Or, is it merely evolving as languages tend to do?
Well, it’s like I’m not sure. If nuff people, like, say the same thing, then I suppose that’s the new English, so deal with it. Kind of reminds me of the movie idiocracy.

No offence, but this seems like a "get off my lawn" type thread. I remember when pwned became a thing and I thought it was the most ridiculous thing. Then I realized I was just getting old.
No, not really. I just don’t think speaking good English is as much of a priority as it used to be. If that is just an age thing, OK.

No offence, but this seems like a "get off my lawn" type thread. I remember when pwned became a thing and I thought it was the most ridiculous thing. Then I realized I was just getting old.
No, not really. I just don’t think speaking good English is as much of a priority as it used to be. If that is just an age thing, OK.
Probably a bit of both. I do think that texting and social media have changed the way people talk. And that change would be considered ungood English by previous standards.

That’s your prerogative.

Are you sure you're using the right word here? I think you mean to say its his "opinion" or a similar word, which of course is true. A "prerogative" is more a special privilege one has due to their status or position in society or in an organization.

That’s your prerogative.

Are you sure you're using the right word here? I think you mean to say its his "opinion" or a similar word, which of course is true. A "prerogative" is more a special privilege one has due to their status or position in society or in an organization.
Some people English better than others.

Language changes over time. Just the natural way of things. Words get used one way enough and it gains a different meaning.

For example, "yes" used to mean "no" until the language shifted. More recently, "nimrod" meant great and powerful until a misunderstanding changed the meaning. This is the normal progress of a language in wide use.

That’s your prerogative.

Not the only definition of the word. Prerogative refers to decision making intrinsically free of regulation.

Language changes over time. Just the natural way of things. Words get used one way enough and it gains a different meaning.

For example, "yes" used to mean "no" until the language shifted. More recently, "nimrod" meant great and powerful until a misunderstanding changed the meaning. This is the normal progress of a language in wide use.
Maybe.
How is language progressing/regressing in other countries compared to here?
I'd be interested to see.

That’s your prerogative.

Not the only definition of the word. Prerogative refers to decision making intrinsically free of regulation.
"Exactly!"

-Bobby Brown

Straight dope

John McWhorter's podcast, Lexicon Valley, is a great perspective on how English has changed in the past and how the same dynamics are still at work today in how the language is constantly evolving.

John McWhorter's podcast, Lexicon Valley, is a great perspective on how English has changed in the past and how the same dynamics are still at work today in how the language is constantly evolving.
I would think there are some rules in the English language that are not negotiable, or are we moving the goal post every 30 years?

 Proper English. Not  good English.
Got me on that one. I never said I was like perfect……. Literally. :rolleyes:

The amount of time people spend reading has declined significantly. Schools are still trying to teach reading and writing but it’s like pulling teeth to get many teens to read. Tough to compete with all the media options available. I’ve seen our districts testing. Our kids score very well until around grade 5-7 when a huge decline happens. My theory is that this correlates with the age most kids get their first cell phone.

The amount of time people spend reading has declined significantly. Schools are still trying to teach reading and writing but it’s like pulling teeth to get many teens to read. Tough to compete with all the media options available. I’ve seen our districts testing. Our kids score very well until around grade 5-7 when a huge decline happens. My theory is that this correlates with the age most kids get their first cell phone.
Good posting

The vocab of Grad Students has been declining for 40 years

Id wager that the collective IQ of college students from most of the 19th century would demolish that of the college kids of today.

Fun fact: The original meaning of "literal" was "of or pertaining to alphabetic letters". Which means that the definition insisted on by traditionalists ("taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory") is, in fact, a figurative one

Users who are viewing this thread