What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vasectomy in the AM... (2 Viewers)

None of you guys have discussed cost here. I was pretty shocked by how much the urologist wants for one of these. Total after everything - consultation, procedure, surgical pack, follow-up swimmer counts -- is over $2,200. I hope my insurance would cover most of it. Either that, or I guess I'll have to consider "the county clinic" instead of a surgeon. :bs:
Most insurance plans will cover it...but probably not to "un-do" it if you change your mind later.
I believe mine covers 80 percent, but that still means I'm shacking out like $450.
I think the top line cost on mine was like 500 for the procedure. Out of pocket was like 89 bucks including the lab work which wasn't in the 500.

None of you guys have discussed cost here. I was pretty shocked by how much the urologist wants for one of these. Total after everything - consultation, procedure, surgical pack, follow-up swimmer counts -- is over $2,200. I hope my insurance would cover most of it. Either that, or I guess I'll have to consider "the county clinic" instead of a surgeon. :doh:
Most insurance plans will cover it...but probably not to "un-do" it if you change your mind later.
I believe mine covers 80 percent, but that still means I'm shacking out like $450.
I think the top line cost on mine was like 500 for the procedure. Out of pocket was like 89 bucks including the lab work which wasn't in the 500.
Wow..that cant be right can it?I am bigtime overdue for getting this done. :unsure:

Buddy just got this done last week. He was an unusual case; had an injury "down there" when he was a kid, so things were apparently a bit more difficult to do. He had a HORRIBLE experience -- apparently the worst one in seven years for his surgeon, who sounds like a total masochist. Incredibly painful. Surgeon was slapping him and telling him to stay awake, because he was passing out from pain. Could barely walk for the past week. In so much pain he went back in for a follow-up examination. This idiot surgeon never gave him any prescription meds of any sort, before or after. Just Advil.

My appointment is next month. :)

Very glad I have a different urologist who's already written me the valium/Tylenol w/codeine prescription. Trying not to be nervous. Kinda wish I hadn't talked to my buddy.

Any ball shaving tips? :thumbup:
My wife did mine. Not my proudest moment with my legs up in the air like I am having a baby and the wife going to town with 25 cent Bic razor.Frozen peas....frozen peas---get several bags to rotate. Do not get mixed veggies as those carrots squares have sharp corners. :shock: It really is not that big of a deal. Couple asprin and some good video games and you are set.

I had my consult this past week and I'll be scheduling my procedure to happen within the next few weeks.

I'm getting the "no scalpel" surgery and don't have to shave my nutz. Just gotta trim a bit shorter than usual.

Today's the day. I have a single Valium, but won't be taking it. I've got to work this evening (IT work so I will be sitting down). Very unfortunate timing.

Today's the day. I have a single Valium, but won't be taking it. I've got to work this evening (IT work so I will be sitting down). Very unfortunate timing.
Really not a good idea. Even excessive leaning/moving around can tear the area. You need to call out and park it on the coach with a bag of frozen peas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really not a good idea. Even excessive leaning/moving around can tear the area. You need to call out and park it on the coach with a bag of frozen peas.
:goodposting: Besides, probably one of the few times you can lounge around, have the wife wait on your every need ( well all but one) and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it.

Wasn't as bad as I expected. The only pain was the injections.

I didn't take the Valium, and haven't had to take any painkillers at all.

I had it 10 days ago myself. I went to the store with my wife on the way home from the doctor. Piece of cake.

Worse part was I took a nap when I got home because of the vicodin he gave me and woke up 2 hours later a little hungover feeling. Zero problems what so ever and even started having the secks again only 4 days later. No swelling or bruising or nuthin'.

I had it 10 days ago myself. I went to the store with my wife on the way home from the doctor. Piece of cake.Worse part was I took a nap when I got home because of the vicodin he gave me and woke up 2 hours later a little hungover feeling. Zero problems what so ever and even started having the secks again only 4 days later. No swelling or bruising or nuthin'.
It was bound to be a minor surgery for you.

Just scheduled mine for 12/3. I was expecting having to schedule a pre-consultation or something, but I just made an appointment and I'm all set.

I should have done this a few years ago. My youngest is seven, and we've known for years we are done. A good friend of ours had his done last year. He is a high school football coach. He had his done on a Friday, and was walking the sideline that night. Now my wife is rolling her eyes about me needing to spend the weekend on the couch. I tried the whole "either I get to spend the weekend on the couch, or you get surgery" but she wasn't buying it. I need more ammo to get the sympathy going.

I just have a $15 co-pay...I'm going in tomorrow morning. I'm supposed to be there at 5:30... :IBTL:
My balls are still a little sore every now and then.My daughter was throwing a fit when I picked her up a couple days ago and she accidentally kicked me in the nards. It hurt a LOT...

I don't understand why guys feel the need to tell the world before they get neutered. I DON"T WANT TO KNOW!!!

What's the breakdown of people who had to do a consult before the procedure, and those who just made an appointment for it?

I called my doctors office and said I want to schedule a vasectomy and they gave me a date. No first visit to talk to the doctor beforehand or anything. I just talked to a friend of mine (who's wife is a doctor at my clinic) and he said he had made an appointment for his consult. Am I going to get there and have them say "wait, you didn't have a consult first, we can do this today?" Just curious what hoops people have had to jump through.

I don't understand why guys feel the need to tell the world before they get neutered. I DON"T WANT TO KNOW!!!
This thread has been very helpful for those of us who have been considering and going through with the procedure. If you don't want to know, don't open the thread.
Anyone ever have theirs reversed?
Not yet, but I might have to. I had my vasectomy Oct. 7 and I'm still awfully sore most of the time. I went in Monday to see the urologist and he prescribed me some really strong anti-inflamatory pills. They haven't helped at all and are really hard on my stomach.My wife's been researching it and sometimes when the pain persists after a while the doctors will remove the #### or reverse the procedure. I'd definitely go for the reversal...
What's the breakdown of people who had to do a consult before the procedure, and those who just made an appointment for it?
A consultation with the urologist beforehand was mandatory for me.

It's been 13 days since I got mine. Thought I'd follow up.

If there's one thing I wish I hadn't done, it's "research" on the Internet. Bad move. The whole thing was a piece of cake. Don't sweat it. Seriously. Procedure was a non-event, painwise. He only made one tiny incision to get in there. The snippin' and burnin' was fast, too.

Some frozen peas, some whisky, and I was shoveling snow outside 72 hours later.

My urologist was pretty funny. (Or maybe it was the Valium.) He was telling me about a urologist buddy of his who gave HIMSELF a vasectomy.

:unsure:

Anyone ever have theirs reversed?
Not yet, but I might have to. I had my vasectomy Oct. 7 and I'm still awfully sore most of the time. I went in Monday to see the urologist and he prescribed me some really strong anti-inflamatory pills. They haven't helped at all and are really hard on my stomach.My wife's been researching it and sometimes when the pain persists after a while the doctors will remove the #### or reverse the procedure. I'd definitely go for the reversal...
lol, I wish I could remember what word I typed that got censored there...I'm going back in Tuesday morning (Dec. 7). I think it's very slowly getting better, but there'll be times where I'll feel a sharp pain and other times a feel a dull soreness...

Called the doctor's office back today and found out I do indeed need a consult first, and then insurance apparently requires 2 week between the consult and the procedure. So, consult is now next Tuesday and the vesectomy will be 12/30. The upside is hopefully I can spend New Years in my bed playing Xbox instead of with our friends who's kids can't go two hours without a complete meltdown like we do every other New Years.

Had the cansult last night, and I'm set for the 30th to get 'er done.

My doctor prescribed 2 valium, "just in case I lose or drop one" (his words). I'm thinking I'll be keeping them in the same place as each other, but now I'm worried. Do the explode on impact if they are dropped or something? :towelwave:

Realistically, I'm thinking I'll have an extra valium to take as needed. :homer:

It's on for January 6th @ 3:00pm :unsure:

We both come from 2 kid families and only planned on having 2 kids and that's what we've got now - 4.5 and 2.5

I'm going to miss having a 2-3 year old around the house in a couple years but not really a great reason to go and have a third I guess.

A little worried about having second thoughts as we get closer or regretting it afterwards, did anyone else feel that way?

:unsure: Besides, probably one of the few times you can lounge around, have the wife wait on your every need ( well all but one) and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it.
Thats my plan. Three days of video games and couch time.So...did you guys go under or not?

Lehigh98 said:
It's on for December 6th @ 3:00pm :unsure: We both come from 2 kid families and only planned on having 2 kids and that's what we've got now - 4.5 and 2.5 I'm going to miss having a 2-3 year old around the house in a couple years but not really a great reason to go and have a third I guess.A little worried about having second thoughts as we get closer or regretting it afterwards, did anyone else feel that way?
It will no doubt drive down your re-sell value.I got 3 kids - the difficulty factor between having 2 kids and having 3 kids is tremendous.Edit to add - Dec 6th was 2 days ago and a Monday. I would strongly recommend having this procedure done on a Friday so that you can milk it throughout the weekend.

Anyone keep any boys on ice in case of emergencies?
I asked my Dr about this yesterday and his thought was that is may not be worth it compared to a V reversal.He said the freezer place probably charges about $500 up front and about $200 a year.No guarantee that the sample will be 100% effective or if there will be enough for your needs.The kicker... to use them you need to use IVF which costs about $10k a shot and on average takes 3 shots for success.On the other hand, my Dr said he's got the local OR down to about $12,000 for the reversal procedure and it looks like its becoming more successful (on a percentage basis) each year.

Anyone keep any boys on ice in case of emergencies?
I asked my Dr about this yesterday and his thought was that is may not be worth it compared to a V reversal.He said the freezer place probably charges about $500 up front and about $200 a year.No guarantee that the sample will be 100% effective or if there will be enough for your needs.The kicker... to use them you need to use IVF which costs about $10k a shot and on average takes 3 shots for success.On the other hand, my Dr said he's got the local OR down to about $12,000 for the reversal procedure and it looks like its becoming more successful (on a percentage basis) each year.
That's it. I'm shooting into a cup and putting it in my freezer. Just hope someone doesn't mistake it for a slushie.

I remember the morning of my snip. 1st I didn't need to shave! :excited: As I roll like a baby's behind. 2nd I have never had volume before, I insted to my wife, that I drive to the dr. It was like I was driving drunk. I get to the dr, and I was so drunk feeling, that I through, my ID, and ins. card on the receptionist desk. Then when I get called back, I was so losey lipped. I remember, taking home a paper, that said you would have to wait 7 days before empty the boys, after getting snipped. When the dr was doing his buisness, I said DR. I'm a young guy, I can't go 7 days, with my wife, or with myself. The nurse started laughing so hard. Anyways, It was done on a friday. Saturday, I had to walk around thed New Orleans Convention Center, for a jewerly show, with my wife.
wtf

Edit to add - Dec 6th was 2 days ago and a Monday. I would strongly recommend having this procedure done on a Friday so that you can milk it throughout the weekend.
Oops, fixed. (So to speak) January 6th, a Thursday afternoon.Wife will handle the kids that night and Fri morning before daycare.Then its me on the couch by myself all day in a quiet house catching up on movies / reading / poker / whatever. :excited:

Lehigh98 said:
It's on for January 6th @ 3:00pm :thumbup: We both come from 2 kid families and only planned on having 2 kids and that's what we've got now - 4.5 and 2.5 I'm going to miss having a 2-3 year old around the house in a couple years but not really a great reason to go and have a third I guess.A little worried about having second thoughts as we get closer or regretting it afterwards, did anyone else feel that way?
I have two boys. The funny thing was they days after I called originally to make my appointment, I started thinking I was going to really miss not being able to have a girl. Then an 8th grader in my kids school left school in the middle of the day to hang out with her 19 year old boyfriend and her parents couldn't find her until late that night. I then decided I was fine with just boys and there was no looking back.

Easy procedure, if you have one upcoming don't sweat it. They offered me medication to help with anxiety, i passed. Spent the entire procedure talking to the Doc about my job and golf.

Had to milk a couple of days inactivity, in reality I felt ready to go the same day. The key is to follow the directions and avoid complications.

No regrets here. Two girls 5 and 3.

I'm going back in Tuesday morning (Dec. 7). I think it's very slowly getting better, but there'll be times where I'll feel a sharp pain and other times a feel a dull soreness...
The doctor said he thinks I'm just suffering from sperm build up. He said just to take some Advil or Motrin when needed and I should be getting better :blackdot:

Lehigh98 said:
It's on for January 6th @ 3:00pm :sadbanana: We both come from 2 kid families and only planned on having 2 kids and that's what we've got now - 4.5 and 2.5 I'm going to miss having a 2-3 year old around the house in a couple years but not really a great reason to go and have a third I guess.A little worried about having second thoughts as we get closer or regretting it afterwards, did anyone else feel that way?
I have two boys. The funny thing was they days after I called originally to make my appointment, I started thinking I was going to really miss not being able to have a girl. Then an 8th grader in my kids school left school in the middle of the day to hang out with her 19 year old boyfriend and her parents couldn't find her until late that night. I then decided I was fine with just boys and there was no looking back.
When we found out our second (and planned last) was going to be a boy, my wife was a little disappointed at first.Then we stopped for and saw 2 girls ~13-14 walk in with high skirts and lowcut tops in January.We looked at each other and said at at the same time, "Just boys are good".She later realized she's pretty much in boy mode anyway and has no interest in dance classes, cheerleading, hair brushing, etc.

Easy procedure, if you have one upcoming don't sweat it. They offered me medication to help with anxiety, i passed. Spent the entire procedure talking to the Doc about my job and golf.Had to milk a couple of days inactivity, in reality I felt ready to go the same day. The key is to follow the directions and avoid complications.No regrets here. Two girls 5 and 3.
Good stuff. I go in next week, maybe I don't have to go under....

Easy procedure, if you have one upcoming don't sweat it. They offered me medication to help with anxiety, i passed. Spent the entire procedure talking to the Doc about my job and golf.Had to milk a couple of days inactivity, in reality I felt ready to go the same day. The key is to follow the directions and avoid complications.No regrets here. Two girls 5 and 3.
Good stuff. I go in next week, maybe I don't have to go under....
I would recommend not going under. I did and I was super dizzy and dry heaving the rest of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread