What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vernon Davis owners, how do you feel/what are you doin? (1 Viewer)

harryhood

Footballguy
So I was very happy about Vern going forward and thought he was in for a nice game against seattle.....well strike one.

Then I told myself that #### happens and this week he gets a nice matchup, where A. Smith will find him if he knows whats good for him....well strike two!

I havent owned him all year so I didn't focus much on his production, wasn't he very ineffective with Dilfer under center? Is he back down to borderline TE1 status with the QB change, a la Steve Smith? Can he shake off last weeks game and come out productive?

Are they going to leave him in to block and just let Frankie run wild? Owners and homers chime in with the tendancies for this team with Trent runnin the show.. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't give up on him. It's obvious he has the skills to do it at this level. He just needs someone to get him the ball. A.Smith at SEA was just awful, and yeah, it's a tough place to play. It sounded like the coach wants to get him the ball more -- I wouldn't worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from Bloom's Buy low/Sell High article. He has Davis as a Buy Low and I like his view:

Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco 49ers - When a player complains about not getting the ball enough and the coach backs him up, you know that player is going to be featured the rest of the way. Davis has some diva, some Moss/TO/85 in him, and he questioned why he was left in to block most of Monday Night vs. Seattle. "We didn't attack the way we should've," Davis said. "I was on the back side protecting a lot. They didn't put me down the field, for some reason." Nolan's reply? "Vernon is a playmaker for us and we need to utilize him," Nolan said. "In this game, we regressed in that respect." Davis is on the cusp of being an every week fantasy starter at TE, and he might actually benefit from the installation of Trent Dilfer because Alex Smith was clearly still affected by his injured throwing shoulder.

I currently have Vernon Davis as my only TE and guys like LJ Smith are on the wire but I think I'm going to ride it out with Davis considering what the poster above me said and the face that STL gives up points to TE's

This is from Bloom's Buy low/Sell High article. He has Davis as a Buy Low and I like his view:Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco 49ers - When a player complains about not getting the ball enough and the coach backs him up, you know that player is going to be featured the rest of the way. Davis has some diva, some Moss/TO/85 in him, and he questioned why he was left in to block most of Monday Night vs. Seattle. "We didn't attack the way we should've," Davis said. "I was on the back side protecting a lot. They didn't put me down the field, for some reason." Nolan's reply? "Vernon is a playmaker for us and we need to utilize him," Nolan said. "In this game, we regressed in that respect." Davis is on the cusp of being an every week fantasy starter at TE, and he might actually benefit from the installation of Trent Dilfer because Alex Smith was clearly still affected by his injured throwing shoulder.
This same exact complaint about being used was voiced by Davis back in like week three. As was Nolan's reply that he agree's 100%. A lot of good that did. This jerkoff is Jeremy Stevens all over again. He click-clacked his sorry ### off of both my starting rosters. Busta.

Redraft= Drop - The 2007 season is a waste. Smith/Dilbert combo is a fantasy destoyer.

Dynasty= Buy low candidate

I would guess the 9'ers bring in a seasoned vet as an alternative to ASmith next year. If Smith does not make significant improvements this year, he will not be the 2008 starting QB.

The Niners O is so lame right now I can't see this guy performing in the top 10 or 12 the rest of the way. Trade or cut IMO.

I still like Davis. St. Louis isn't going to create nearly the kind of pressure that SEA had. Davis won't need to be in to block as much even if they weren't going to adjust the game plan to specifically get him more looks. Besides, Nolan HAS to see that Davis CAN'T block. So it's not like it's doing any good anyways.

Davis probably just whiffed on those guys last week so they wouldn't make him block anymore, and to answer the op's question -- he has produced one week out of 9 so far.

Redraft= Drop - The 2007 season is a waste. Smith/Dilbert combo is a fantasy destoyer.

Dynasty= Buy low candidate

I would guess the 9'ers bring in a seasoned vet as an alternative to ASmith next year. If Smith does not make significant improvements this year, he will not be the 2008 starting QB.
IFRC, Smith may still be the youngest starting QB in the league. Plus, number 1 picks, especially QBs, get quite a long leash. I'd expect the 49ers to bring in a vet behind Smith, but still give Smith every chance to be the starting QB next year regardless of how the rest of the '08 campaign pans out.

Users who are viewing this thread