What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (6 Viewers)

You shut your mouth.  MoHAA deserves some respect here, son, for the genre that it launched.  CoD was a great game, no doubt.  Loved it, but it would never have been without MOHAA. :)
The first time we air dropped behind enemy lines into Germany and also the first time we raided Normandy.  That was a really great game. 

You shut your mouth.  MoHAA deserves some respect here, son, for the genre that it launched.  CoD was a great game, no doubt.  Loved it, but it would never have been without MOHAA. :)
It got me through a deployment not long after 9/11. Hunkered down in my quarters, playing MOHAA on my laptop while sitting on my bunk. So I'll always remember that one. Surprisingly enough, it didn't suck me in to the FPS genre. Haven't really played another one since.

Did the newest Battlefront ever develop into a decent game, instead of a pretty looking bore-fest?

It keeps wanting to update every time I try to play. 

If it actually got better, I may let it update over night...

In my continuing quest to get through all the steam sale items in my library I present:

Child of Light - RPG that definitely falls under the story based "Charming" category. Visually very interesting, solid story telling (but it gets a bit old as it's all text dialogue in iambic pentameter, or some kind of poetry ####), upgrading characters is fun and combat is "modified" turn based (usually 2 v 3 and attacks are speed based so some opponents will get multiple attacks before you get one or vice versa and you can use magic/potion modifiers which impact the speed of attacks) which is sometimes very challenging but typically you can set fights up to give you an advantage so it gets kind of repetitive, boss battles can be a little challenging particularly early on. Reminds me of Ori and the Blind Forest, not quite as captivating but still it's a very solid effort overall.

My favorite WWII shooter is MoH:Airborne. 

I like the Brothers in Arms games too. 

Cant wait for a new WWII shooter. 

No, the Wolfenstein games don't count cause it's an alternate reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fall - This is a very brief platformer. It's a platformer with non-linear maps so you do some backtracking (Never played Metroid but apparently it is a big inspiration for The Fall). I like the look, reminds me of The Swapper (a puzzle based platformer that I really enjoyed), and the concept tries to be deep with emphasis on what is the basis of free will but it falls a little short of truly profound. It's a decent game but, ultimately it feels incomplete, like it was originally planned to be something much bigger but budget simply would nots allow it.  Looks like they are developing a part 2 and maybe if it generates some buzz and they get real funding they could have something great here. As is, it is a quick (4 hours or so) concept game that is worth giving a shot as it can likely be found very cheap. 

I picked an awful time to start playing RE4. I'm well into at this point, but I traveled last week, and am on the road the next two weeks as well before heading out on vacation. 

Im well into Chapter 4 at this point and I think I might be done with the castle.  I just dropped down the well and am being chased through the sewers.  It's an awesome game, just no time to play it. I do find that I'll play for 30 mins, get to a part that is frustratingly hard for me, quit, then come back an hour later and beat that part. Rinse, repeat. 

Overwatch released a new mode. I really enjoy this game but these constant updates and add ons for free makes me happy. Just good to see a change from the usual gouging most big developers do. 

I kind of want to buy one of their loot box things just to support them. It seems crazy though to just basically give a giant company money as a sign of "support". 

Don't buy these.  Pay for EA Access.  $30 a year will grant you access to these games plus many, many more, including most of EA Sports games like Madden, Fifa, NHL, etc.  Best value on Xbox. 
This.  Is.  Awesome.

Thank you so much for this tip.

Dust: An Elysian Tale - BEST GAME EVER!!!1!2!3!2!$7XPLODE2!?!:6! !! ...

...if you're an eight year old girl or a furry. Not sure what review convinced me it was worth the $3 but I got through maybe 10 minutes and doubt I will go back to see if it has anything else to offer.

I picked an awful time to start playing RE4. I'm well into at this point, but I traveled last week, and am on the road the next two weeks as well before heading out on vacation. 

Im well into Chapter 4 at this point and I think I might be done with the castle.  I just dropped down the well and am being chased through the sewers.  It's an awesome game, just no time to play it. I do find that I'll play for 30 mins, get to a part that is frustratingly hard for me, quit, then come back an hour later and beat that part. Rinse, repeat. 
Isn't it badass?

Chaka said:
Dust: An Elysian Tale - BEST GAME EVER!!!1!2!3!2!$7XPLODE2!?!:6! !! ...

...if you're an eight year old girl or a furry. Not sure what review convinced me it was worth the $3 but I got through maybe 10 minutes and doubt I will go back to see if it has anything else to offer.
I liked it.  A fun Metroidvania style game.  Sorry it wasn't for you.

It might be a game I ultimately enjoy but initially it's really...furry. 
Definitely.  The way they did the cut scenes and story was a bit too cutesy.  But the game play really starts kicking up later in the game.  

You mentioned earlier that you'd never played a Metroid before.  Have you played Shadow Complex?  That's probably the game closest to Metroid (Super Metroid to be specific) on the Xbox.   And definitely not furry. :)

That's part of it.  Can't go all crazy with the ammo.  
I really didn't think I had been...  it mostly got used up on the two gargantuan battle (I did fling one into the lava pit) and then the Indiana Jones train track portion that I didn't have any route to run away from.

I think I made a mistake in keeping my glock, because it sucks as a weapon now but I keep getting ammo for it instead of shotgun and assault rifle ammo.  I was going to sell it though the past two times, but you can't buy ammo and it's the only gun I have a clip for. 

I made it up to the Salazar/Dirty Shop of Horrors boss fight last night, then decided I didn't have it in me to start that one. 

I really didn't think I had been...  it mostly got used up on the two gargantuan battle (I did fling one into the lava pit) and then the Indiana Jones train track portion that I didn't have any route to run away from.

I think I made a mistake in keeping my glock, because it sucks as a weapon now but I keep getting ammo for it instead of shotgun and assault rifle ammo.  I was going to sell it though the past two times, but you can't buy ammo and it's the only gun I have a clip for. 

I made it up to the Salazar/Dirty Shop of Horrors boss fight last night, then decided I didn't have it in me to start that one. 
Playing on normal?  That's part of what makes the game great. You can go through a few times with a different weapon setup and have a different experience. I was always partial to sniper rifle and shotgun combo.  The old six shooter is strong as hell too

Definitely.  The way they did the cut scenes and story was a bit too cutesy.  But the game play really starts kicking up later in the game.  

You mentioned earlier that you'd never played a Metroid before.  Have you played Shadow Complex?  That's probably the game closest to Metroid (Super Metroid to be specific) on the Xbox.   And definitely not furry. :)
Any other games like this. I love those style games. Enjoyed strider and guacamelee

Any other games like this. I love those style games. Enjoyed strider and guacamelee
Ori And The Blind Forest is another great one that I played recently.  

Keep your eye on Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, which is now slated for a 2018 release.  I hope it'll continue to impress, unlike Mighty No. 9.

can you do this on the xbone? I just started playing it so I am not sure what you can and cant do yet. 
I assume you can.   I'm on PS4 so take it fwiw.

You can browse custom made courses.  Somebody recreated Augusta and named it Magnolia.

I don't know if it's different for the systems.  Or if you create one course it translates over

I assume you can.   I'm on PS4 so take it fwiw.

You can browse custom made courses.  Somebody recreated Augusta and named it Magnolia.

I don't know if it's different for the systems.  Or if you create one course it translates over
"The Golf Club is available on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One and, furthermore, its users' created courses are shared across all platforms"

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea you could do this. 

Ori And The Blind Forest is another great one that I played recently.  

Keep your eye on Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, which is now slated for a 2018 release.  I hope it'll continue to impress, unlike Mighty No. 9.
Ori is one of my favorites from last year (or was that already 2015?).

I mentioned Child of Light earlier too. It plays like Ori but combat is pseudo turn based and not hack'n'slash like Dust or Ori. The combat gets a bit repetitive but the character leveling is fantastic which really makes combat worth it.

Looking into Shadow Complex now.

I finally finished Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

Now I'm on to Dishonored 1 (PS3) and just picked up my crossbow. But I'm having trouble with the run controls. I keep shooting my left hand weapon every time I hit L3 and press forward. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to change the controls so the L3 isn't used for multiple functions?

eta, I wonder if I'm tapping L1 without realizing it...

I posted this at 2k but decided to paste it here n case anyone else is still playing XCOM2 and has seen this:

I am on my first ever playthrough of XCOM2. Been enjoying it immensely. On the final mission. Decided to start it today. PS4 says it needs to update and does. I load XCOM2 and start the mission. See the first two enemies. Set up the ambush. Have my first guy open fire. None of my other three soldiers take their overwatch shot. Severe damage. Exit the game. Shut down the PS4. Restart the PS4. Restart the game. Try again from my latest save before starting the final mission. Same thing. Give it one more load. Same thing. My soldiers will not take an overwatch shot even when an enemy walks right up next to them.

Is my save broken? Is anyone else experiencing this? Needless to say, at this point in the game, heck at any point in the game, this is pretty much a killer bug.

Where is the satisfying sound of one's impalement?

Any FBG's still playing LOTRO?  I have been going through the novels again and had a desire to revisit, if just for nostalgia.  Holy cow have things changed.  I left at level 60 and pretty darn well outfitted in Lothlorien.  Level cap is 105 these days.  I think I might jump in for a while and see what Rohan is all about.  I hear Minas Tirith is unbelievable, takes a long time to walk through and appreciate it all.

ETA we had been on the Gladden server since beta.  Not sure if anyone has migrated.

Any FBG's still playing LOTRO?  I have been going through the novels again and had a desire to revisit, if just for nostalgia.  Holy cow have things changed.  I left at level 60 and pretty darn well outfitted in Lothlorien.  Level cap is 105 these days.  I think I might jump in for a while and see what Rohan is all about.  I hear Minas Tirith is unbelievable, takes a long time to walk through and appreciate it all.

ETA we had been on the Gladden server since beta.  Not sure if anyone has migrated.
How's the pvp?

Yep, past that...  now I'm on the island.  Been 4 days since I've played. 
Just found out that part of the trouble I was having was that my controller had a dead area in it which wasn't allowing me to turn left very effectively. It felt weird, but I didn't think it was completely messed up until I tried and the thumb stick went limp after breaking free. I bought a new controller last night and am rocking and rolling again - plan on beating this over the weekend. 

After RE4, I'll probably run through Ryse, and I'm also pretty excited about Little Nightmares which comes out next week. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y27KjX_FRk4

--

edit, this is my list of games I keep so I don't forget what I want to play at some point...  I don't have a PS4, but will prob get one for my birthday in July  

Ryse 
Walking dead 2
Splinter Cell blacklist

Oxenfree

Wasteland 2

Mass Effect Andromeda

Nioh 

Bloodborne
The Witness
Halo5
Rise of tomb raider
Quantum Break
Little nightmares
State of decay 2

I bought Dying Light for $20 during the holiday season and finally got around to playing it.  I am quitting about six hours in because the quest design and combat just flat-out suck.  This game has a lot of promise, but it suffers from all kinds of bad design choices, and there are too many other games out there right now to stick with this one any longer.  The last straw was "Hey, I just armed these bombs and they're going to blow in 3:30 so you have to run into a zombie-infested building that you've never been in before and place them in just the right spots before the timer runs out LOL."  #### that.

I bought Dying Light for $20 during the holiday season and finally got around to playing it.  I am quitting about six hours in because the quest design and combat just flat-out suck.  This game has a lot of promise, but it suffers from all kinds of bad design choices, and there are too many other games out there right now to stick with this one any longer.  The last straw was "Hey, I just armed these bombs and they're going to blow in 3:30 so you have to run into a zombie-infested building that you've never been in before and place them in just the right spots before the timer runs out LOL."  #### that.
Prettymuch the end of almost any game for me. Never understood design choices like that.

Prettymuch the end of almost any game for me. Never understood design choices like that.
Game companies are too worried about fitting in tons of content to actually quality check it most of the time. As long as they hide 100 collectibles with a huge open world map, they deem everything a success. 

I thought the same thing at first but the game gets really awesome after you start upgrading your weapons

I had a chance to try the Star Wars Battlefront on PS4 VR the other night.

Holy hell.

Amazing.

This is where video games have been leading me since I first entered "Open mailbox" into Zork. 

And it's only a short X-wing mission...

Looking forward to Portal Knights coming to PS4 next week. Kind of a Minecraft/Diablo hybrid with slightly cutesy but crisp Nintendo-looking graphics.

There aren't a ton of good split-screen/couch co-op games out there for next gen consoles. The girlfriend and I negotiate PS4 time to play big single player releases but sometimes we like to game together. But we can only play so much Borderlands/CoD/Diablo/Minecraft/Divinity (those are by far the best couch co-op games we've found on PS4--we aren't into puzzlers or platformers, I know there are some good ones in that category too).

So anyways, will be picking up Portal Knights soon. We have enjoyed minecraft in bursts but there just isn't enough focus in "Story mode" and neither of us have the time or energy to create anything overly massive over time in the Build mode or whatever, so its fun but its tough to feel like you're making progress once you've explored a lot and built a lot of stuff. We're creative, but we aren't trying to make a scale replica of Magic Kingdom or anything. So this game seems like a good compromise, with simpler crafting but similar mechanics, better graphics, better and more varied combat, skill trees and different classes, bosses, a little more purpose in the story, etc. 

I'll review it here for anyone with interest in this type of game after we play it a bit. I'm sure some of the PC guys have already seen it in action.

Users who are viewing this thread