What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (7 Viewers)

I liked it.  A fun Metroidvania style game.  Sorry it wasn't for you.
Okay I went back and gave it another shot and...it definitely got better and even kinda dark which was very welcome. Level design was solid, lots of back and forth as you powered up to go back and get items/finish quests that were inaccessible in the early game. The downside is like a lot of these games the combat gets repetitive as you move back and forth over the same territory.  Also as you power up even combat with higher level enemies becomes a matter of rinse-and-repeat (lightning strike, right-click-3x-left-click etc). Overall it became a much better game than it started out as so it was worth it.

Continuing to work through my Steam queue:

Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuan) - Ultimately this is a meh for me. It is mostly a left to right scroller and that is really more about timing than puzzle solving. I like fast paced in these games and all but it becomes frustrating as you have to go through jump/duck/switch-character/magic pattern in timed sequences where one misstep sends you to your death. And, unlike, Ori the story didn't have the charm to make it worthwhile. It was short however and had some interesting visuals, and a different story telling style so it may be worth it for some.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (Redux) - Another very short game (maybe 4 hours). This is a non combat narrative type game that doesn't hold your hand when it comes to telling you what you need to be doing (it tells you as much at the very beginning). It is very frustrating (in a good way) particularly early on as you come to understand that you need to find all the clues in a given area to reveal parts of the mystery you are trying to solve. And the clues are not necessarily easy to identify.  The story is well told and gets very creepy and even though you know it's non-combat it gets intense because you just can't get over the feeling that something is coming, you don't know what or when but the feeling is pervasive. The one thing that I just kept thinking to myself as I was playing is how beautiful the world was, the textures were amazing and incredibly vivid. Really just a great game to look at. 

Worth it.

A Story About My Uncle - Another short game, maybe 4 hours total, longer if you are a treasure junkie (I typically am but this game didn't hold me well enough to make it worth it for me). It's visually interesting to be sure with a story that I want to call "charming" or "touching" but it really doesn't live up to either.  It's interesting enough, good even but not great.  Really rather than a puzzle game it's more a manual dexterity game where you must make various leaps and grapple to and between objects to get to your objective. It's one of those games that, in my younger years, may have necessitated throwing the controller through the screen as you die again and again...and again. Fortunately, and mercifully, the game has a ton of checkpoints so you never spawn too far away from where you died.  On that note it is definitely worth getting enough collectibles to unlock Midas touch, which turns every thing you grapple to a gold color which helps a ton as a map when you get caught in a die/respawn cycle.

Good enough for a cheap Steam sale purchase-play-forget scenario but don't go out of your way.

I'm playing through Dishonored on hard level. So far, the rat swarm is pretty awesome. 
I started out trying not to kill people, but it was inevitable that a bunch of thugs had to die. Now the map is teeming with rats and they attack me from time to time. :(

I was able to get a Nintendo Switch without a preorder thanks to Amazon's local Prime Now service. I did it mainly because I'm a huge Zelda fan (I was about 13 when the original came out and I can remember staying up all night playing it during a sleepover). But I also have two kids, ages 12 and 7, so they're playing Zelda, too. I gotta say, it's a great game, one of those where a couple hours can go by in what seems like 10 minutes. The map is huge. I play only an hour or two a night, but I've just been wandering around, finding stuff. When I walk the kids to school in the morning, we talk about what we've found in the game (everyone's progress is saved under their own profile). My 7-year-old son was cracking me up this morning talking in detail about how to use flint to start a fire in the game. It's pretty cool.
I've been playing games on every console since the Atari, and I've played every major Zelda game in the series (not counting some of the handheld ones), and Breath of the Wild is one of the best games I've ever played, period. I can remember being in high school/college and looking forward all day to getting home from school or off of work so I could play whatever game I was into at the time. Zelda BOTW has given me that same feeling, except now I have to wait for my kids to get off the Switch, then dinner, then bathtime and finally for my wife to go to bed before I can play. The map is absolutely massive. While the entire world is open to explore, there's a mechanic where you have to visit specific points in order to open up that portion of the map. I've been playing this game for an hour or two for almost two months and I'm maybe just more than halfway through. I keep finding portions of the map that I haven't seen before, and each one has an hour or two of side quests to fulfill. They may never come out with a Switch game as good as this one, but for now I'm pretty happy.

Just played through Oxenfree. Zzzzzzzzzz

Incredibly boing.  
Okay, I gotta say that after 37 minutes of game play I am seeing your point quite clearly.

It's a short game and all but it is going to take some effort to get through it, if it doesn't get much better in a hurry. Some interesting aspects, (particularly the speed with which you have to choose dialogue options) but the pacing is horrible. At the speed which the characters move if I have to go around all the map collecting things to solve puzzles I could see myself punching a baby seal.

On the plus side the voice acting and dialogue depth is quite impressive. They really went out of their way to write and perform their dialogue. Now if only the characters were talking about anything that I gave two ####s about.

Okay, I gotta say that after 37 minutes of game play I am seeing your point quite clearly.

It's a short game and all but it is going to take some effort to get through it, if it doesn't get much better in a hurry. Some interesting aspects, (particularly the speed with which you have to choose dialogue options) but the pacing is horrible. At the speed which the characters move if I have to go around all the map collecting things to solve puzzles I could see myself punching a baby seal.

On the plus side the voice acting and dialogue depth is quite impressive. They really went out of their way to write and perform their dialogue. Now if only the characters were talking about anything that I gave two ####s about.
There really aren't puzzles. Aside from tuning the radio, you don't actually solve anything.  It's basically a long interactive movie. 

I've been playing through Half Life 2 again.  Apparently there was a fan made Episode 3 released last year, which I had no idea about until now and is probably the closest we'll ever get to a conclusion.  

Currently working my way through Resident Evil 7.  I'm still in the kind-of early game (I think), but it's extremely good so far.  Great change of pace from previous recent installments.

Walking Dead Season 3: Telltale Games, A New Frontier. I'm not thrilled with it because I have high hopes and there is only one chapter left to play. Playing through the fourth chapter last night, I think I figured out why it's not living up to my expectations. Through season 1 & 2, Clementine was the character you walked with. You played as her, knew her, made her choices. This new season, Clem is barely in it. Yeah, she's in it but she's not the main character. I was anticipating knowing more about her and what her life transpired between 2 & 3. This season seems more like an extended 400 days chapter since the characters are new and not much "love" for them as there is with Clem. I was hoping for more, I guess.

Bought The Witness on sale for $20. It was on my to play list - I'll run through Little Nightmares, and then onto The Witness. 

I have not played it but I watched it on Twitch a little.

From what I can tell, it appears to be a carbon copy of H1Z1 King of the Kill
I have never played H1Z1, although I did watch a few gameplay videos a long time ago.  Guess it's a good idea to check it out on Twitch.  Twitch never seems to cross my mind for some reason, which is odd because my son watches it constantly.

Played through the Prey demo and enjoyed the hell out of it. Love that you can play the first "hour" of the game but can keep exploring the area. Can't wait till I can play tonight!

Finally "finished" Zelda. Total gameplay was 82 hours. I finished all the main quests, found all the shrines and memories. Probably the longest I ever put into a game.

Now finally on to Horizon Zero Dawn!

I also see Nier Automata is on sale on PSN for $41. Anyone play that?

Has anyone owned or used, or know anything about those Steam machines that came out a few years ago?  Can you tell me anything about them?

shadyridr said:
Finally "finished" Zelda. Total gameplay was 82 hours. I finished all the main quests, found all the shrines and memories. Probably the longest I ever put into a game.

Now finally on to Horizon Zero Dawn!

I also see Nier Automata is on sale on PSN for $41. Anyone play that?
I didn't even know you could check total gameplay hours.

I just checked and I'm up to 135 hours and I've done maybe 2/3 of the game. :unsure:

I have not played it but I watched it on Twitch a little.

From what I can tell, it appears to be a carbon copy of H1Z1 King of the Kill

I have never played H1Z1, although I did watch a few gameplay videos a long time ago.  Guess it's a good idea to check it out on Twitch.  Twitch never seems to cross my mind for some reason, which is odd because my son watches it constantly.

I've got 260 hours on H1Z1 and 60 hours on Battlegrounds... they are both made by the same person (Playerunknown).

Yes they are similar in the fact that they are both last man standing battle royale type games, but Battlegrounds blows H1Z1 out of the water in all gaming aspects (In my and most of twitch.tv streamers' opinion).  

Anything in particular anybody would like to know about the game?

I've got 260 hours on H1Z1 and 60 hours on Battlegrounds... they are both made by the same person (Playerunknown).

Yes they are similar in the fact that they are both last man standing battle royale type games, but Battlegrounds blows H1Z1 out of the water in all gaming aspects (In my and most of twitch.tv streamers' opinion).  

Anything in particular anybody would like to know about the game?
I guess I want to know why it blows the other out of the water?

ive read battlegrounds is coming to XB1. That's the game type I always thought GTA5 should add, but I guess capping the world at so few people would hurt in that regard. 

I guess I want to know why it blows the other out of the water?

ive read battlegrounds is coming to XB1. That's the game type I always thought GTA5 should add, but I guess capping the world at so few people would hurt in that regard. 

PM sent...didn't want to clutter the thread with a huge wall of text,  both games are supposedly coming to consoles... when is anybody's guess since they are still in "Early Access"

Allow me to shill for Mad Max.  It's brutal, visceral, crunchy and has awesome rpg mechanics, both for Max and his Magnum Opus.  I've got about 70 hours on record.  I highly recommend it.   :)

Copied this from Reddit-- does a great job of listing all the reasons I like it better  :thumbup: ....... can't figure out how to use spoiler tags

Weapons - 3 different shotguns, 3 different sniper rifles, 2 smgs, 4 assault rifles, 3 pistols. PUBG wins out here.

Attachments. Clear PUBG win.

Helmets - 3 types in PUBG. effectively 1 type in H1Z1 as they have the same characteristics. 3 levels in PUBG. PUBG win.

Backpacks - 3 types in both if you count the satchel in H1Z1. Even if I'm being generous.

Armour - 3 levels in PUBG. 2 types in H1Z1 one of which is quite uncommon and the other has to be crafted and the materials aren't always available. PUBG win.

Transport - H1Z1 has 3 cars and you can launch yourself out without concern. PUBG has 3 cars but you will damage yourself if you jump out at speed. This one is a preference thing. H1Z1 is more arcade so this style suits it to a degree, So I call even BUT this is the transport entry - PUBG has boats. PUBG wins.

Graphics - even on very low settings PUBG looks better then H1Z1. Camouflage works and bushes are valid concealment unlike H1Z1 where you will be seen in any bush as a black figure. PUBG wins.

Map - both have their good points. H1Z1 is too open which makes cars which are already devastating too dominant. PUBG has very definite chokepoints but these are overcome by use of boats and swimming (yes PUBG has swimming. Big difference - PUBG has a second map on the way. H1Z1 still has many issues to fix on their only map. PUBG win.

Weather - PUBG has weather H1Z1 doesn't. PUBG wins.

Gunplay - no reason except maybe shotguns to go FP in h1z1. Hipfire is very accurate and 3P is the only mode you need. PUBG has much nicer gunplay IMHO. This is also a preference thing. I'll call it even only due to that otherwise it's all PUBG.

Modding - PUBG will come with mod tools. PUBG win.

Servers - PUBG will allow server renting H1Z1 have rejecetd this idea many times including for Just Survive.

Skins - if you like pink H1Z1 is the game for you. H1Z1 win I guess...

Community - H1Z1 is so full of toxic players. I've had great interactions so far in PUBG. PUBG win.

Playstyle - if you want a quick, no thought carmageddon game H1Z1 is for you. if you like positional play, (wo)man vs (wo)man and tactical thought - PUBG is the way to go. Even - up to the player or even your mood.

Game stability and support - even in Beta PUBG is the clear winner here. Support from Daybreak is pitiful. H1Z1 servers are a mess and fall over regularly. PUBG wins.

Spectate for team - PUBG has it - H1Z1 promised it for the past 2 years.

Resuscitate for team mates - PUBG has it H1Z1 doesn't.

Bleeding - H1Z1 has it PUBG doesn't. (Except in team modes)

Different shoe effects - shoes in PUBG are strictly cosmetic at the moment. H1Z1 shoes have various effects including speed and different stealth levels.

Summary - I used to love playing H1Z1 KOTK on the original map bugs and all. The new map brought a whole new series of issues and a new playstyle. Since playing PUBG over the last 3 weekends I haven't played ANY other PC game. I couldn't face another game of Car1z1 that's for sure.

IMHO PUBG is a much better game BUT if you like arcade 3rd person precision shooting and jumping out of cars KOTK will be your game of choice in BR genre.

PUBG looks pretty good ive been watching some twitch streams. going to see if my laptop can support it. will be purchasing tonight if so

Been playing MLB The Show 17 since release non stop. Simply put it is the very best sports game ever made and if your a baseball fan, it is a new pinnacle in the genre. 

The new ball physics are simply marvelous and playing this game on my new PS4 Pro with enhanced visuals (not playing it on 4K mode nor HDR since it washes it out and slows the frame rate) on a 4K Utlra HD TV has been something to behold. The frame rate is silky smooth (basically near 60FPS on enahnced visual mode, I seriously can't tell the difference between enhanced visual and high frame rate mode). The over 1000 new fielding animations they put in the game are incredible and life like. Urgent throws, non urgent throws...it really looks and feels like real baseball. They have always made a great game, but this year you can see not having to develop a PS3 title alongside of it, they took the gloves off and went for some bold game play advancements. They added what they call humanity AI for CPU fielding (plus I auto field and manual throw in my offline franchises) and it is something to see. Also they added a new player quirks system (similar to NBA2K badges) and they are awesome. Really adds another layer of player personality to couple with the morale system that was introduced on 16.

They killed it! This is a huge upgrade and the first true next gen version of The Show I have played. IMO the biggest one year advancement in core gameplay since MLBTS 12.

Also still playing Horizon Zero Dawn (about 40 hours in) and loving this game as well. Going to finihs this in the next 3-4 weeks. Then for my non sports game fix I am going back to Skyrim remastered (over 120 hours poured in thus far) since I upgraded to a 4K TV and PS4 Pro, and will finish up my play through with my wood elf thief/archer Serratus.

Then on to Deus Ex mankind Divided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing MLB The Show 17 since release non stop. Simply put it is the very best sports game ever made and if your a baseball fan, it is a new pinnacle in the genre. 

The new ball physics are simply marvelous and playing this game on my new PS4 Pro with enhanced visuals (not playing it on 4K mode nor HDR since it washes it out and slows the frame rate) on a 4K Utlra HD TV has been something to behold. The frame rate is silky smooth (basically near 60FPS on enahnced visual mode, I seriously can't tell the difference between enhanced visual and high frame rate mode). The over 1000 new fielding animations they put in the game are incredible and life like. Urgent throws, non urgent throws...it really looks and feels like real baseball. They have always made a great game, but this year you can see not having to develop a PS3 title alongside of it, they took the gloves off and went for some bold game play advancements. They added what they call humanity AI for CPU fielding (plus I auto field and manual throw in my offline franchises) and it is something to see. Also they added a new player quirks system (similar to NBA2K badges) and they are awesome. Really adds another layer of player personality to couple with the morale system that was introduced on 16.

They killed it! This is a huge upgrade and the first true next gen version of The Show I have played. IMO the biggest one year advancement in core gameplay since MLBTS 12.

Also still playing Horizon Zero Dawn (about 40 hours in) and loving this game as well. Going to finihs this in the next 3-4 weeks. Then for my non sports game fix I am going back to Skyrim remastered (over 120 hours poured in thus far) since I upgraded to a 4K TV and PS4 Pro, and will finish up my play through with my wood elf thief/archer Serratus.

Baseball games used to be my favorite sports games to play.  However, NBA2K has ruined me for baseball.  I simply can't sit through nine innings any more, plus managing my team and farm system.  Maybe when the kids are gone and I have more time.

I was also thrown by their marketing campaign this year, with all the weird "characters" playing the game like it was a MLB/World of Warcraft mashup.

Todem said:

I'm not a baseball but it's awesome when I hear people get this excited for a game. Especially, one that is a yearly release.

I'd really like to see the NFL end the EA monopoly. When I read about the Show or hear people talk about NBA2k it makes me mad that I'm still basically playing Madden 07. 

I'm not a baseball but it's awesome when I hear people get this excited for a game. Especially, one that is a yearly release.

I'd really like to see the NFL end the EA monopoly. When I read about the Show or hear people talk about NBA2k it makes me mad that I'm still basically playing Madden 07. 
 They are allegedly running a new engine this year. They tried that along time ago and everybody complained and they scrapped it. 

I got 10 bucks says the new engine is  essentially NFL2K5. 

Madden 17 is a kick ### game Steady. Probably the best Madden since 2007 easily. 

2K5 is so dated now....it was great back then.....unplayable now.

Madden 17 is a kick ### game Steady. Probably the best Madden since 2007 easily. 

2K5 is so dated now....it was great back then.....unplayable now.
I preferred Madden 16 to 17 (17 has some terrible glitches that still aren't fixed - for example once every couple of games, I can field a kick off at the end zone and it'll end up on the 50 for some reason - which ends up with the kicking team getting the ball or a big skirmish for the ball that's hilarious to watch, but frustrating when you just want to play some football).  But bottom line, Madden's been ahead of 2k5 for a few years.  It's too bad people won't take off their rose-colored glasses long enough to see it.  Madden 07 was still not quite close, IIRC. 

Users who are viewing this thread