What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (7 Viewers)

Thats xcom....

Don't want to jinx it, but I'm like 3 or 4 missions away from my first perfect run (no soldier deaths) through classic ironman. 

I'm using the long war classes (8 base classes instead of 5) and increased the squad size by 2 ( so I can take one of each class on missions) as well as the mod that adds a bunch of different enemies and 1 or 2 additional enemies per pod. So it's not a true comparison to the base game but I did my best to balance it out. I've had a few very close calls but everyone keeps surviving.

It's just very tough to balance out the end game ( where your soldiers and gear are ridiculously overpowered) without making the early game impossibly hard. I waited until very late to trigger the alien leaders so I had good enough gear to survive them. The archon King took down my sniper but she went into bleed out mode rather than dying
My second go around is going much better. I mean, honesty, it had too. But I don't know if I just had it easy my first couple of Commander playthroughs or what. I've had to learn to accept the fact that since starting Ironman at this level, I'm going to have missions that simply can't be won. For instance, I had a reprisal mission where I "failed" to save 6 civilians within a few turns of the mission beginning. The enemy troops and the civilians were so far back on the map, I honestly don't think I could have sprinted there in time. And this was the first Muton mission, and my dudes were woefully under-powered and under-armored. I think I was able to save ONE civilian. It's the first reprisal mission that I ever had where I lost more than four civilians. And I lost 12!

Overwatch has a free weekend for all platforms. I highly recommend it to anyone who plays online. It's worth checking out for anyone though. 

Note: PS+ and Xbox Live (or Gold?) is required, just like every other online game. 

Thats xcom....

Don't want to jinx it, but I'm like 3 or 4 missions away from my first perfect run (no soldier deaths) through classic ironman. 

It's just very tough to balance out the end game ( where your soldiers and gear are ridiculously overpowered) without making the early game impossibly hard. I waited until very late to trigger the alien leaders so I had good enough gear to survive them. The archon King took down my sniper but she went into bleed out mode rather than dying
My Commander Ironman run ended in a virtual squadwipe. I took my squad of 4 Col and 2 Maj in to one of those "Protect the Transmitter" missions. I had just come off a Flawless blacksite mission so was a bit overconfident probably. Anyways, I forgot my own lesson, which is that in Commander, some missions just aren't winnable. I did an excellent job fighting my way to the transmitter, kicking butt. But something was plowing the transmitter. I could tell the 4th shot would destroy it. So after wiping out a pod, my two Rangers moved forward to trigger the pod shooting the transmitter because I just HAD to save it. Big mistake. That pod was my first Gatekeeper and two Mutons. I couldn't stop the gatekeeper from casting Gateway, causing my entire squad 7-8 damage each, plus made like 5 zombies. Then the Muton lobbed a grenade up on the roof where three of my troops were. Two immediately dead. One died a turn later. So I ended the mission with three dead and the other three wounder 19 day or more. With no backups, I threw in the towel. I'll try again and hopefully, this time, won't forget the lessons learned mid mission again.

Overwatch has a free weekend for all platforms. I highly recommend it to anyone who plays online. It's worth checking out for anyone though. 

Note: PS+ and Xbox Live (or Gold?) is required, just like every other online game. 
Tried it over the weekend on PC.  I've been interested since release, but after trying it, I'm rather disappointed.  It was fun, but nothing that I was rushing to buy myself a copy of. Maybe it's because I have so many games to play already.   Maybe a later date.

So my MIL bought my kids Mafia III for Christmas.  They had no interest in the game (fortunately) but I popped it in over the weekend when I was bored.  Holy cow is that game non appropriate (I know it is a mature rating, so I figured that) but it wasn't even enjoyable to sit through.  Collect Playboys as you explore?  This game must have been made for 15 year olds who's parents don't check on what they play.

At one point, my 13 year old comes into the video game room and asks if it is fun.  I say "it's ok, but you absolutely cannot play it."

For any Diablo, POE fans, I can now give a very strong recommendation for Grim Dawn.  I am only about 15 hours in, but it has been great so far.

Still getting the hang of character customization but from what I can tell, it blows Diablo away in that area (not as good as POE but that is nothing to be ashamed of).

I have no idea if or what end game material there is but in general leveling game play, if you liked either Diablo or POE, you will like Grim Dawn.

So after really only playing the "intro protion of Horizon"  - I was like my 11 year old daughter would probably love this - then the Proving happened - oops

So I am primarily an open world RPG game player at this point in my life. Fallout and Skyrim are my favorites. I am close to 100%-big both Fallout 3 and 4 and have hundreds of hours into Skyrim. 

Well, I was interested in playing something new and realized that I had never beaten Fallout 3: New Vegas. I had played it previously on the Xbox 360 but never really got into it. So I started playing it this past weekend. I have played fir about 25 so far and I am already almost to Vegas, which seems like it is going to be the end of the game. I have done just about every side mission that has been available and explored each location I come to thoroughly. Is this just a much shorter game than Fallout 3 and 4? I still have the DLC's to so, but this one just doesn't seem as deep or layered as 3 and 4. Don't get me wrong, it's still incredibly fun. Maybe I have just been spoiled by the other two games. 

So I am primarily an open world RPG game player at this point in my life. Fallout and Skyrim are my favorites. I am close to 100%-big both Fallout 3 and 4 and have hundreds of hours into Skyrim. 

Well, I was interested in playing something new and realized that I had never beaten Fallout 3: New Vegas. I had played it previously on the Xbox 360 but never really got into it. So I started playing it this past weekend. I have played fir about 25 so far and I am already almost to Vegas, which seems like it is going to be the end of the game. I have done just about every side mission that has been available and explored each location I come to thoroughly. Is this just a much shorter game than Fallout 3 and 4? I still have the DLC's to so, but this one just doesn't seem as deep or layered as 3 and 4. Don't get me wrong, it's still incredibly fun. Maybe I have just been spoiled by the other two games. 
you still have a ways to go . enjoy

For any Diablo, POE fans, I can now give a very strong recommendation for Grim Dawn.  I am only about 15 hours in, but it has been great so far.

Still getting the hang of character customization but from what I can tell, it blows Diablo away in that area (not as good as POE but that is nothing to be ashamed of).

I have no idea if or what end game material there is but in general leveling game play, if you liked either Diablo or POE, you will like Grim Dawn.
Is grim dawn on Xbox one?

I think Vegas is maybe the half-way point?  Its not as big as Skyrim, although most of that is fake length with the randomized "quests" that game included.  It was quite a bit longer than FO3 for me and I got more playtime with it. 

I have a dumb question....have this Xbox One.  I had two "adult" account and want to switch one of them over to a "kid" account.  I've figured out how to create that profile, but how do I move all the progress he's made on this Forza racing game to the new account so he doesn't lose all his cars?

I'm very firmly of the opinion that FO:NV is a significantly better game than FO3, FO4, or Skyrim.  Reaching Vegas is not the end of the game.  
I really enjoyed FONV, probably more than FO3. but I had to stop playing it because the freezing on PS3 became unbearable. I was pretty far through the game and halfway through the last DLC, but I just couldn't take it any more. 

I really enjoyed FONV, probably more than FO3. but I had to stop playing it because the freezing on PS3 became unbearable. I was pretty far through the game and halfway through the last DLC, but I just couldn't take it any more. 
This game was essentially broken on PS3 when it first came out.  I put up with it, but honestly you are correct that it was a technical mess.  My understanding is that it runs fine now, but I could be wrong about that.  Bethesda never did figure out how to make their games compatible with the PS3's architecture.

Any still playing R6:Seige? If so, I have the base game but haven't played since it came out. Is this game worth jumping back into at this point?

I fired up Grand Theft Auto V after about a 2 year (?) break.

Such a great game. The amount of detail is just insane. Can't wait for the next (though I doubt it will be a major break through again).

I finally caved and sprung for Horizon Zero Dawn -- was planning to wait for a price drop, but whatever.  You guys all know this already, but it really is a phenomenal game and I can see why it got so much praise in this thread earlier in the year.  It's hard to put my finger on why this game is so good.  It's basically Far Cry only with robot dinosaurs (which of course Far Cry had, too), but whereas the last FC I played bored me to tears, HZD is completely gripping.     

I finally caved and sprung for Horizon Zero Dawn -- was planning to wait for a price drop, but whatever.  You guys all know this already, but it really is a phenomenal game and I can see why it got so much praise in this thread earlier in the year.  It's hard to put my finger on why this game is so good.  It's basically Far Cry only with robot dinosaurs (which of course Far Cry had, too), but whereas the last FC I played bored me to tears, HZD is completely gripping.     
Been playing this game a month straight and only 55% complete so far. Phenomenal game, phenomenal graphics, phenomenal combat, phenomenal story. May be the best game I ever played.

yes. New map and 2 new operators come out in August. There are ton added since the launch. I'd start playing now so you can buy all the previous operators.
I still play occasionally but I feel like the playbase has upped its skill level a good bit.  In year 1, I routinely was a solid contributor but popping in now I tend to just be even on k/d. 

I know this question is a little 2010, but is anyone playing Rock Band anymore?  I was somewhat surprised to see the latest release at Target the other day.  I didn't know they will still supporting this game.  I feel somewhat tempted to get back into the genre, but I'd have to start from scratch as my first go round was via the Wii.  Since it seems platforms won't be updating much anymore, I would jump back in with the XB1, which would reduce the issue of song storage capacity.

I might or might not have a mic stand in the basement collecting dust. :unsure:  

I gave away my first set a few years ago, but once my kids are old enough I'll probably look to pick this up again.

I got pretty good at this and was showing off to a friend who came over and he said, "Damn dude, you're playing some pretty complicated finger combos you should consider learning to play a real guitar"

I sold it all on eBay the next week. I'd recommend Rocksmith and a cheap electric guitar instead. 

So my MIL bought my kids Mafia III for Christmas.  They had no interest in the game (fortunately) but I popped it in over the weekend when I was bored.  Holy cow is that game non appropriate (I know it is a mature rating, so I figured that) but it wasn't even enjoyable to sit through.  Collect Playboys as you explore?  This game must have been made for 15 year olds who's parents don't check on what they play.

At one point, my 13 year old comes into the video game room and asks if it is fun.  I say "it's ok, but you absolutely cannot play it."
I'm playing this right now and I just find it kind of ... boring. Its like a boring, dumbed down version of GTA. Its the same mission over and over basically. And the whole taking over rackets and getting them to work for you - in theory it sounds cool. But in reality its just basic. Capture the leader. Tell him he works for you.

Also, its not clear to me at all if I've reached the maximum amount of money on each racket - other than I've done all the side missions. At least I think I have - that's not clear either.

Anyway, I'd give it a C/C-. 

I'm really enjoying it too, up to level 20 and on the main quest to Meridian.  I feel like I've missed some key power ups in ammo, like shock freeze etc along the way.  I skipped all three Hunter trials so far as they look boring and I don't have the necessary gear to do them all.  @Todem, what am I missing?

I'm really enjoying it too, up to level 20 and on the main quest to Meridian.  I feel like I've missed some key power ups in ammo, like shock freeze etc along the way.  I skipped all three Hunter trials so far as they look boring and I don't have the necessary gear to do them all.  @Todem, what am I missing?
When you do the Hunter's Lodge trials, you earn sun tokens (half suns, full suns, blazing suns). Earning a certain number of them (IIRC, 3 half suns), you'll be allowed into the Hunter's Lodge in Meridian. At the lodge there are some side quests and a merchant who will give you special equipment when you have earned enough sun tokens.

The ranking system works pretty well. I've never made it into platinum, but am usually in Gold 1-2. Also, playing with mics and a good team makes it a lot easier. Although, if you end up playing against a team with mics and in a full party, there's a good chance they'll dominate you.

Also, I'm prob .98/K/d as well. The fun part about this game is that yes, getting kills is important, but playing your operator is slightly more important. DO YOUR JOB.
I finished one season in platinum... I believe the season with two Brazilian operators and map. Since then, various levels of Gold. I think my KD is like 1.3, but dropping. 

This clip starting at 3:03 is prob still one of my bigger highlights - ace on offense. I've done it on defense, but rare on offense. 

http://xboxclips.com/guerilla+gunner/97f34e8b-330d-4b9d-8d66-b2364744c575

I got pretty good at this and was showing off to a friend who came over and he said, "Damn dude, you're playing some pretty complicated finger combos you should consider learning to play a real guitar"

I sold it all on eBay the next week. I'd recommend Rocksmith and a cheap electric guitar instead. 
Already went the Rocksmith route and failed.  Even with a video game, it still takes time and dedication to actually learn how to play guitar.  I just want to pick up some plastic toys and pretend I am a rock god once or twice a week.  I don't have the finger dexterity or desire for calluses to actually learn an instrument.

I'm playing this right now and I just find it kind of ... boring. Its like a boring, dumbed down version of GTA. Its the same mission over and over basically. And the whole taking over rackets and getting them to work for you - in theory it sounds cool. But in reality its just basic. Capture the leader. Tell him he works for you.

Also, its not clear to me at all if I've reached the maximum amount of money on each racket - other than I've done all the side missions. At least I think I have - that's not clear either.

Anyway, I'd give it a C/C-. 
I didn't even get far enough in the hour I played to start interesting missions.  Broke into a bank, had a 30 second fight with some guys at a restaurant, drove around the city a bit.  About 5 minutes of action and the rest cut scenes.  I finally started skipping the cut scenes because the story wasn't interesting, but it didn't make it any better.

Already went the Rocksmith route and failed.  Even with a video game, it still takes time and dedication to actually learn how to play guitar.  I just want to pick up some plastic toys and pretend I am a rock god once or twice a week.  I don't have the finger dexterity or desire for calluses to actually learn an instrument.
 It takes five minutes a day no more no less. ( Playing for five minutes a day is better than playing for six hours once a week )

I also disagree that you don't have the finger text Arity if you get good enough to play those games. 

I'm not going to twist your arm I'm just saying. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this game worth buying a PS4 for?  I have an xbone but the last game I loved was Skyrim.

Is this game worth buying a PS4 for?  I have an xbone but the last game I loved was Skyrim.
I'm always reluctant to say that any one particular game is worth buying a new console for.  For whatever reason, Sony exclusives have a tendency to click with me, and I would say that the combination of Bloodborne, Nioh, and Horizon have made it worthwhile.  (And Darkest Dungeon for that matter).  Again, though, that's just my idiosyncratic tastes.  Bloodborne and Nioh are not going to be everyone's cup of tea.  HZD on the other hand has a much broader appeal than those games.  

I'm always reluctant to say that any one particular game is worth buying a new console for.  For whatever reason, Sony exclusives have a tendency to click with me, and I would say that the combination of Bloodborne, Nioh, and Horizon have made it worthwhile.  (And Darkest Dungeon for that matter).  Again, though, that's just my idiosyncratic tastes.  Bloodborne and Nioh are not going to be everyone's cup of tea.  HZD on the other hand has a much broader appeal than those games.  
I'd really like to get back into gaming, but nothing's grabbed me like Skyrim.  Fallout and Witcher 3 were fun for a while but they seem overly complicated to me.  I have Resident Evil Biohazard ready to be played so maybe I'll start with that.  Between me and my kid we have like 3 Xbones, so maybe I'll just sell one and get the PS4. 

I'm getting a PS4 at some point. Gotta play Bloodborne. Do you have the VR headset?  I'm curious if that works decently. 

My bro has a Vive. It's cool, but kind of a novelty at this point. I'd rather have an immersive headset that I could still use with the controller.  

Playing the hell out of OVERWATCH.  Man....#### Reaper......cheapest hero in the game. 
For me, Tracer then Genji are the worst. At least against Reaper you can keep a distance. I'm on console but so aiming (from what I hear) is a lot worse.

I'm happy that I'm on the only Overwatch person on here anymore.

That's the one thing in the game I didn't do. Completed just about everything you could complete. But had no interest in Hunter trials for some reason.

You're good. But you should start dabbling with the slings that can throw freeze, shock and explosive grenades.

Also Bows is my weapon of choice along with the trip and rope caster which will be huge for you later in the game. Also.....learning to use traps is key to set up success in the Cauldrons.

Override.....override is really important too as you travel through the lands. Stealth.....very important. 

Seriously.....this is the best game this generation easily for me thus far. So much to do, so much to discover (lore) the story gets better an better too. I am a level 37 right now....about to leave Meridian but not until I complete the Hunters Lodge story arc. 

Enjoy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got tekken 7 for my laptop the other day

Really fun.  Simple yet challenging.  Old school button masher.  Haven't played a fighting game in a long time.  I like it.

You're good. But you should start dabbling with the slings that can throw freeze, shock and explosive grenades.

Also Bows is my weapon of choice along with the trip and rope caster which will be huge for you later in the game. Also.....learning to use traps is key to set up success in the Cauldrons.

Override.....override is really important too as you travel through the lands. Stealth.....very important. 

Seriously.....this is the best game this generation easily for me thus far. So much to do, so much to discover (lore) the story gets better an better too. I am a level 37 right now....about to leave Meridian but not until I complete the Hunters Lodge story arc. 

Enjoy!!
I rarely used a sling. Never used a rope caster. I found bows and stealth, along with override, were more than enough to get me through the game. A few traps were nice and fun to play with. But never felt any of that was necessary.

I rarely used a sling. Never used a rope caster. I found bows and stealth, along with override, were more than enough to get me through the game. A few traps were nice and fun to play with. But never felt any of that was necessary.
This is the way I play

Playing the hell out of OVERWATCH.  Man....#### Reaper......cheapest hero in the game. 
It's got to be somebody. It used to be McCree.

I haven't actually played in months. I didn't stop enjoying the game, just got hooked into others. I'm a little hesitant to play again because I know I'm going to suck horribly (not that I was awesome before). 

I haven't actually played in months. I didn't stop enjoying the game, just got hooked into others. I'm a little hesitant to play again because I know I'm going to suck horribly (not that I was awesome before). 
Yeah...apparently they nerfed McCree.

For me, Tracer then Genji are the worst. At least against Reaper you can keep a distance. I'm on console but so aiming (from what I hear) is a lot worse.

I'm happy that I'm on the only Overwatch person on here anymore.
Genji's a beast if I'm using Bastion or Agent 76. He's an afterthough if I'm using Winston. I like Winston the best....but for a tank, he doesn't seem to be able to stay in a firefight as well as the other ones. 

To me, it seems that the top players are using Mei, RoadHog and Zenyatta in any game and adding Torbjorn and Symmetra during the Capture Point games.  

It takes five minutes a day no more no less. ( Playing for five minutes a day is better than playing for six hours once a week )

I also disagree that you don't have the finger text Arity if you get good enough to play those games. 

I'm not going to twist your arm I'm just saying. 
I gotcha.  I've tried to learn guitar no less than three times.  The last time was Rocksmith.  It's just not something I'm going to be able to learn to do.  It was fun in the beginning, but then you hit the part in the learning curve where it starts to get tough, and progress slows down.  At that point it felt more like work, and less like having fun.  That's not what I play video games for.

Plus, while I played Rock Band, I was never a master.  I couldn't play the hardest difficulty level for any but the easiest songs.  And to be honest, the most fun I have with rock band is when I play guitar, sing, and rope someone else in the family to join me for a few songs.  None of those are options with Rocksmith.

Lol you guys must not play in high elo. Pharah is completely broken.

Users who are viewing this thread