What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (2 Viewers)

Played about 5 games of BFBC2 last night and I was shocked at how good it was. How is anyone playing Black Ops or Home Front (I did but it and its going up on ebay today)?

Playing Tiger Woods 12 now (Xbox 360). Not all that far into it, but here are some first impressions:

- They nail Augusta - it looks great. But they also nail the attitude of it, for better or worse (see further below)

- The caddy is cool, but over 18 holes, a little time consuming. A round is about 30% longer. You can turn him off, but his recommendations are still there, etc. Personally, I don't mind the caddy, and think it's a great addition, despite taking more time to play a round.

- Gameplay is prettymuch unchanged. I'm two years removed from a Tiger Woods game, and I jumped right in without any issue.

- They took out a lot of the "sillier" stuff. Bunny suits, crowds shouting out your nickname, and baseball swing celebrations? Errr no... not at Augusta, thank you very much. They (seemingly) even got rid of the "big swing" animations. It's pretty clear the club had some say in this aspect of the game. Even the somewhat cool electronica-lite music of past versions is replaced with a very staid choice of tunes, all of which would fit a real Masters telecast going to commercial break. Basically, if older versions had a loose "Pro-am" vibe, this one is all button down and corporate. I'm kind of surprised they even allowed jeans, flip-flops, and basketball-style shorts in wardrobe choices (but that's about as subversive as it gets.)

I like the game so far, but I do wish they kept a few of the sillier aspects, even if just custom celebrations and the nickname. It just adds a little life to the game. But if anyone didn't like the silly stuff and wanted more of a sim in terms of personality, this is your game.
Quoting my own post here, but wow, you can't wear that stuff at Augusta even in a videogame. When you play at Augusta with your created golfer, it drops you to your sponsor default outfit, or the regular EA default. Wow. Being told how to dress in a videogame!
If it's in the game, it's in the game.

Played about 5 games of BFBC2 last night and I was shocked at how good it was. How is anyone playing Black Ops or Home Front (I did but it and its going up on ebay today)?
I haven't had time to play it since my twins were born but Bad company 2 is hands down the best military multiplayer ever created. You will never go back to COD once you've played BC2 for even 10 minutes. Its like comparing Wii Sports Baseball to MLB the Show. Yea they technically both play the same game but one's doing it correctly.

I haven't had time to play it since my twins were born but Bad company 2 is hands down the best military multiplayer ever created. You will never go back to COD once you've played BC2 for even 10 minutes. Its like comparing Wii Sports Baseball to MLB the Show. Yea they technically both play the same game but one's doing it correctly.
After yet another frustrating night with Killzone3 (One of the modes was full... 6 weeks after launch - WTF?), I think I'm going back to BFBC2.

Lots of hardcore battlefield dorks (pc players like myself) claim to hate it because they claim its a console port.It has its issues, but I still love it. The slower pace of the game won't appeal to many cod players, but I think its basically perfect.Other than a few minor weapon imbalances (an-94 and the carl gustav) and some gameplay mechanics that I don't agree with (insta-revive is the most annoying) its fantastic.I've got about 300 hours of play time on the pc plus whatever I put in on the ps3 beta and the pc demo :bag:

The game is awesome, but the majority of console players enjoy the COD pace and style for whatever reasons. BC2 does have its faults. The choppers can be overpowering and respawn very quickly if you face a great pilot, and this is after the anti air mechanics were beefed up a little 6 months after launch. People also got bored with the game after the first few months because there were no new map packs released for a long time, and then "new" maps were the same maps with a new game mode for them. Most people I knew gave up on new map content a solid 6-9 months before a map pack with 2 or 3(can't remember) and Vietnam expansion were released within a short time of each other. After saying that, the game is great and the destroyable buildings add an awesome dynamic to the game.

Sometimes it's good to get away from the authentic feel of BC2 and just frag some noobs in an arcadey setting. Bad Company 2 is a great game, but one thing it's not is a fast-paced twitch shooter. For me, it just got frustrating that I couldn't play the game by myself 75% of the time, because I'd run into a party that knew what they were doing and I would get worthless recon wookies for teammates. Every other multiplayer game I've played, I can usually run by myself and win 60-70% of the time.

The game is awesome, but the majority of console players enjoy the COD pace and style for whatever reasons. BC2 does have its faults. The choppers can be overpowering and respawn very quickly if you face a great pilot, and this is after the anti air mechanics were beefed up a little 6 months after launch. People also got bored with the game after the first few months because there were no new map packs released for a long time, and then "new" maps were the same maps with a new game mode for them. Most people I knew gave up on new map content a solid 6-9 months before a map pack with 2 or 3(can't remember) and Vietnam expansion were released within a short time of each other. After saying that, the game is great and the destroyable buildings add an awesome dynamic to the game.
:goodposting:Once you're up against a couple of butt buddies in a chopper, there's really no reason to continue the game.

:goodposting:Once you're up against a couple of butt buddies in a chopper, there's really no reason to continue the game.
Choppers can be annoying but if you have a good enough demo, they can be brought down fairly easy. My nephew takes out choppers like shooting fish in a barrel.

Sometimes it's good to get away from the authentic feel of BC2 and just frag some noobs in an arcadey setting. Bad Company 2 is a great game, but one thing it's not is a fast-paced twitch shooter. For me, it just got frustrating that I couldn't play the game by myself 75% of the time, because I'd run into a party that knew what they were doing and I would get worthless recon wookies for teammates. Every other multiplayer game I've played, I can usually run by myself and win 60-70% of the time.
I love BC2 for this reason. If you go off on your own, you can't accomplish a damn thing to help your team. This game absolutely requires teamwork if you're going to win.

Choppers can be annoying but if you have a good enough demo, they can be brought down fairly easy. My nephew takes out choppers like shooting fish in a barrel.
Yeah, should have clarified which ones I was talking about. The Apaches are the ones that are completely invincible. Especially when you're trying to target them and they're lag-teleporting around the map.

I love BC2 for this reason. If you go off on your own, you can't accomplish a damn thing to help your team. This game absolutely requires teamwork if you're going to win.
Even one teammate can help you turn a tank from a useful vehicle into an indestructible killing machine.

Yeah, should have clarified which ones I was talking about. The Apaches are the ones that are completely invincible. Especially when you're trying to target them and they're lag-teleporting around the map.
Ah. Yea, no defense for lag.

Exactly. When I want an arcadey feel, I'll play Unreal Tournament. I like military games to have real strategy. I still will run and gun though from time to time if my squad mates are idiots.

Shogun 2 for $40 via Amazon download, PLUS $15 credit. $25 for Shogun 2 seems like an amazing deal. Might have to jump on it.
I had a $10 credit for game download only, so used it for this to get it for $30, then also get a $15 credit for any game purchase. :moneybag: I am a sucker for feudal Japan. I read Clavell's Shogun in the 5th grade. :nerd:

Shogun 2 for $40 via Amazon download, PLUS $15 credit. $25 for Shogun 2 seems like an amazing deal. Might have to jump on it.
I had a $10 credit for game download only, so used it for this to get it for $30, then also get a $15 credit for any game purchase. :moneybag: I am a sucker for feudal Japan. I read Clavell's Shogun in the 5th grade. :nerd:
I'm gonna have to buy this now. I wonder if I can combine the $15 from this game with the $20 from Portal 2 to pre-order Skyrim... :excited:

What's your thoughts on Dragon Age 2? If you have played the first one, how much of a difference do you think the battle system change has made?
I'm enjoying Dragon Age 2 more than the first, so far. It's definitely moved away from the Baldur's Gate, dare I say, :nerd: style, and more toward Mass Effect-type action. It's certainly more in-depth than ME2, though; you still get to equip your character (can't change other party members's armor at all) and there are some options that let you get more in the weeds of combat if you desire. I was often frustrated by the combat in DA1, so I just set it to easy and mowed everyone down, so it has been a big improvement from my perspective. And the move to the dialog wheel is a huge improvement as well.
Are you playing on PC or a console?I have DA1 for the PC, didn't play it much. Tried recently and it keeps locking up my computer. Thinking about grabbing both 1 and 2 for the xbox. Just wondering how annoying the interface is on the consoles.

This was originally reported weeks ago. Just so you know. It's legit. It's odd, but the Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steal Edition will still ship on time in Europe. I believe it's only that special edition, or so I was told by one of my fellow friends from over the pond. If that's the case, he'll have an extra month to play it and tell me if it's any good before we see it.Either way, we've waited this long. What's an extra month? I planned on waiting to see how the reviews were anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your thoughts on Dragon Age 2? If you have played the first one, how much of a difference do you think the battle system change has made?
I'm enjoying Dragon Age 2 more than the first, so far. It's definitely moved away from the Baldur's Gate, dare I say, :nerd: style, and more toward Mass Effect-type action. It's certainly more in-depth than ME2, though; you still get to equip your character (can't change other party members's armor at all) and there are some options that let you get more in the weeds of combat if you desire. I was often frustrated by the combat in DA1, so I just set it to easy and mowed everyone down, so it has been a big improvement from my perspective. And the move to the dialog wheel is a huge improvement as well.
Are you playing on PC or a console?I have DA1 for the PC, didn't play it much. Tried recently and it keeps locking up my computer. Thinking about grabbing both 1 and 2 for the xbox. Just wondering how annoying the interface is on the consoles.
Xbox. I don't find the interface annoying at all.

I love the 360 controller design, but hate M$'s crappy product(have had bad dpads/buttons/analogsticks). I was in Best Buy today and saw the Razer Onza. I bought it and apparently they are back ordered for months and Amazon doesn't release them for a few weeks. My in the middle of nowhere Best Buy had exactly two shipped to them. Initial impressions are that I really like many of the higher quality features, but ran into one major problem, but I was able to fix it with a google search. I'll have a review by the end of the weekend. Oh yeah, it costs the same as a standard wireless M$ controller, but the Onza's are wired. They have a standardedition and TE edition, which is the model I got.

Picked up WWE All Stars this week. Myself and my boys (9 & 3) enjoy it. It's definitely not a sim, more of an arcade button masher with some timing. The finishing and heavier moves are over the top, but fun. Good graphics, and authentic entrances. My chance at extended play will be this afternoon, where I will try and unlock all the Superstars.

:PerfectPlex:

Picked up WWE All Stars this week. Myself and my boys (9 & 3) enjoy it. It's definitely not a sim, more of an arcade button masher with some timing. The finishing and heavier moves are over the top, but fun. Good graphics, and authentic entrances. My chance at extended play will be this afternoon, where I will try and unlock all the Superstars. :PerfectPlex:
Did you ever play WWF No mercy by any chance? Just wondering if that's a good comparison.

Picked up WWE All Stars this week. Myself and my boys (9 & 3) enjoy it. It's definitely not a sim, more of an arcade button masher with some timing. The finishing and heavier moves are over the top, but fun. Good graphics, and authentic entrances. My chance at extended play will be this afternoon, where I will try and unlock all the Superstars.

:PerfectPlex:
Did you ever play WWF No mercy by any chance? Just wondering if that's a good comparison.
Not a good comparison. It's closer to

Picked up WWE game as well. I havent watched wrestling in ages but my buddies convinced me to get it since it had the Ultimate Warrior and the Macho Man. I spent about an hour making a Razor Ramon and Big John Studd. :nerd:

'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Picked up WWE game as well. I havent watched wrestling in ages but my buddies convinced me to get it since it had the Ultimate Warrior and the Macho Man. I spent about an hour making a Razor Ramon and Big John Studd. :nerd:
So what's the fun factor like? The cartoony, arcade nature of it might turn me off.

'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
So what's the fun factor like? The cartoony, arcade nature of it might turn me off.
In my opinion, it depends on what you like. If that kind of thing turns you off, then you may not like it. But if it doesn't bother you, it's a decently fun wrestling game. I personally don't care for jumping off the top turnbuckle onto someone all the way across the ring and hitting. It's over the top and that's what they were going for. I'm still hoping they would make a wrestling game with the quality of No Mercy, but it still hasn't happened yet. Legends of Wrestlemania was close, but it was really lacking in content. I liked the control scheme, even though it was too easy at times and the presentation of the game was really well done. But not to have the Macho Man was a huge omission that couldn't be overlooked. Yes, I know you could create him, but it wasn't enough. I liked that you could import from Smackdown vs Raw 2009 and have a much bigger roster, but it still didn't add to the content of the game. That just added to the roster to choose from in exhibition mode. Even No Mercy had a story mode that took weeks to finish. Sorry, I got off topic...

There's a playable demo on XBox Live if you want to try WWE All-Stars out for yourself. Here's the link, if you want to add it to your queue.

Grabbed Saints Row 2 out of the bargain bin this week. Fantastic game, blows GTA 4 out of the water. It's like Grand Theft on crack.

Played ME2: Arrival. Medicore/decent mission with two fairly long segments. Doesn't provide quite the lead-in to ME3 that I was expecting. I'd probably only recommend it to the hardcore fans.

Finished my first play through of Mass Effect 1. The game says it took my 31.5 hours, but it felt a lot shorter than that :paperbag:

I thought the story was outstanding, the depth is just incredible. Didn't really read much of the secondary information they give you, will probably do that on my next play through; though I wish there was a way that you could have it read to you like the primary information is. Took primarily the paragon path for dialogue, looking forward to doing the renegade path on my next play through. The thing I liked most about the game was the environment and visuals, probably the greatest of any game I've ever played. I like just walking around on the Normandy and in the Citadel just to see the environment textures and whatnot. Looking at the sky when you are in the Mako on some random planet and seeing the stars, nearby planets and moons was also really cool. The gun fighting gameplay was pretty fun, but as a soldier I found it pretty easy; definitely need to ramp up the difficulty next play through.

There were some things I didn't like about the game. First, I didn't like the loot system. You get gun/armor/grenade upgrades and items in general WAY too frequently. It became tiresome selling them all and turning them into omni-gel and whatnot. It also makes the in-game money practically useless, all there is to buy are items, and I was never in need of any since you get them in battles all the time. I also didn't like how the side missions were done, as not only did the majority of them feel very unimportant (as you don't get to actually meet the people you have helped), but all you got for completing them was money, which as mentioned earlier was essentially valueless. It would have been better if you got all your side missions from people in the cities, and you had to return to them to hand the quests in; otherwise there's really no reason to ever return to the Citadel or the other cities. Final thing was they re-used a lot of the building models for the side-mission planets.

Overall, I still really loved the game and would give it an A/A- grade; probably in my all-time top 5.

ETA: can you not continue to play after the end game? That sucks.

I have been keeping an eye on Dungeon Siege 3 for a while now. Its an hack n slash RPG with loot and all that other stuff. The thing I was interested in, as well as ....everyone, is the co-op play. Originally, they planned to have full drop in drop out, use your own character, loot travels from game to game, co-op like how Borderlands, Diablo II, Guild Wars, and various other co-op successes built their game. Now 6 weeks before release they pull the Fable II co-op crap version of drop in drop out, but you don't get to use your character. You get to only have one character in game per class, and your story progress, exp, loot, and everything does not transfer back to your file if you are not the host, even if you play couch co-op.

Chalk up another poorly executed game by Obsidian. :thumbdown:

I have been keeping an eye on Dungeon Siege 3 for a while now. Its an hack n slash RPG with loot and all that other stuff. The thing I was interested in, as well as ....everyone, is the co-op play. Originally, they planned to have full drop in drop out, use your own character, loot travels from game to game, co-op like how Borderlands, Diablo II, Guild Wars, and various other co-op successes built their game. Now 6 weeks before release they pull the Fable II co-op crap version of drop in drop out, but you don't get to use your character. You get to only have one character in game per class, and your story progress, exp, loot, and everything does not transfer back to your file if you are not the host, even if you play couch co-op. Chalk up another poorly executed game by Obsidian. :thumbdown:
Obsidian, Give Us a Sequel and We Will Crap All Over It™

I have been keeping an eye on Dungeon Siege 3 for a while now. Its an hack n slash RPG with loot and all that other stuff. The thing I was interested in, as well as ....everyone, is the co-op play. Originally, they planned to have full drop in drop out, use your own character, loot travels from game to game, co-op like how Borderlands, Diablo II, Guild Wars, and various other co-op successes built their game. Now 6 weeks before release they pull the Fable II co-op crap version of drop in drop out, but you don't get to use your character. You get to only have one character in game per class, and your story progress, exp, loot, and everything does not transfer back to your file if you are not the host, even if you play couch co-op. Chalk up another poorly executed game by Obsidian. :thumbdown:
I know. I actually didn't find out Obsidian was making it until after learning about the co-op change. When I heard it was them, I thought "sounds about right." :wall:

In my opinion, it depends on what you like. If that kind of thing turns you off, then you may not like it. But if it doesn't bother you, it's a decently fun wrestling game. I personally don't care for jumping off the top turnbuckle onto someone all the way across the ring and hitting. It's over the top and that's what they were going for. I'm still hoping they would make a wrestling game with the quality of No Mercy, but it still hasn't happened yet. Legends of Wrestlemania was close, but it was really lacking in content. I liked the control scheme, even though it was too easy at times and the presentation of the game was really well done. But not to have the Macho Man was a huge omission that couldn't be overlooked. Yes, I know you could create him, but it wasn't enough. I liked that you could import from Smackdown vs Raw 2009 and have a much bigger roster, but it still didn't add to the content of the game. That just added to the roster to choose from in exhibition mode. Even No Mercy had a story mode that took weeks to finish. Sorry, I got off topic...

There's a playable demo on XBox Live if you want to try WWE All-Stars out for yourself. Here's the link, if you want to add it to your queue.
I got the PS3 demo and it's pretty fun. The controls for running is wonky. Your guy will only run several steps forward then stop if you don't input a command quickly afterwards. The unblockable top rope moves are kinda cheap but at least you can counter by rolling out of the ring when your opponent is ready to jump.The demo's pretty fun so far with Ultimate Warrior and Rey Mysterio. I wish Warrior had a 2nd signature move, cuz he was my favorite as a kid.

I know. I actually didn't find out Obsidian was making it until after learning about the co-op change. When I heard it was them, I thought "sounds about right." :wall:
NWN = Awesome; hand-off to Obsidian for NWN2 = CraptasticKOTOR - Awesome; hand-off to Obsidian for KOTOR2 = putrid awfulness

Why would developers hand out beloved sequels to Obsidian to develop in the first place? Seems pretty dumb and lazy on the part of the original developers to not take care of their own IPs that way.

Why would developers hand out beloved sequels to Obsidian to develop in the first place? Seems pretty dumb and lazy on the part of the original developers to not take care of their own IPs that way.
Most devs are working on new IP's by the time they know the game is a super star, I imagine. Obsidian did Fallout New Vegas, as well, it seems.

So EA sent me 2 copies of NHL 11. I waited a week or 2 to hear from them, then I emailed customer service. No reply now for about 2 weeks. I want to sell it or trade it in or give to a friend, but assume the day I do that EA will send me shipping labels.Is it mine mow or what?
I'd wait one more week.
Still no reply.I'm thinking of sending them another email with a set date. If they don't send me packaging and pre-paid slip then I'll trade it for LA Noire. Do you think Gamestop will give full value to an unopened game?

Most devs are working on new IP's by the time they know the game is a super star, I imagine. Obsidian did Fallout New Vegas, as well, it seems.
Which is why I saw new Fallout New Vegas games at Gamestop for $20.

So EA sent me 2 copies of NHL 11. I waited a week or 2 to hear from them, then I emailed customer service. No reply now for about 2 weeks. I want to sell it or trade it in or give to a friend, but assume the day I do that EA will send me shipping labels.Is it mine mow or what?
I'd wait one more week.
Still no reply.I'm thinking of sending them another email with a set date. If they don't send me packaging and pre-paid slip then I'll trade it for LA Noire. Do you think Gamestop will give full value to an unopened game?
Not unless you have a receipt, but wal-mart will sans receipt.

I'd wait one more week.
Not unless you have a receipt, but wal-mart will sans receipt.
This extra game is going to end up a huge PITA I think.

Users who are viewing this thread