What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vote Blue No Matter Who (2 Viewers)

?

• I will

Votes: 105 56.8%
  • Depends... explain

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • I'll vote for my favorite candidate only

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Trump 2020

Votes: 31 16.8%

• Total voters
Boy, would I love to see Kasich drop into the Republican primary like Bloomberg just did on the Dem side.

Trump having one of his incoherent impromptu press conferences in front of the White House and then...OH MY GOD!  THATS KASICH'S MUSIC!

As it stands right now, I'd cross party lines and vote for him in a general election.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, would I love to see Kasich drop into the Republican primary like Bloomberg just did on the Dem side.

Trump having one of his incoherent impromptu press conferences in front of the White House and then...OH MY GOD!  THATS KASICH'S MUSIC!

As it stands right now, I'd cross party lines and vote for him in a general election.
Can Kasich please use Stone Cold's music for this? After all, Trump got a Stunner from the guy.

But... when the Democrats were last in full power things did change.  Not enough, and lots of people didn't like some of the changes, but I think we mostly agree that coverage for pre-existing conditions (which was one of the main goals) is now something Americans are just not going to let go of.  That's a tectonic shift in health insurance.  The Fair Pay Act.  A cap of $500,000.00 on executive salaries for companies getting assistance during the financial crisis.  Lifting of the HIV travel ban, wherein the U.S. used to keep people with HIV and AIDS from coming to the U.S.  Restrictions on bank investments.  Strategic Arms Reduction.  Dodd-Frank.  Veteran education.  Funding decent, nutritious lunches for kids. Repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

That was all within 24 months.  And then Republicans took the House.
Perhaps these changes represented a shift in government that was 'good' on net to some people.  I think they were mostly incremental changes.  Even the ACA, arguably the signature piece of legislation, was essentially Romneycare on a national scale.  The healthcare industry is a racket now.  Obama opposed gay marriage before he 'evolved'.  He could have removed marijuana from the drug schedule, but didn't.  

There were many changes for the worse.  The Democrats granted final immunity to Bush's CIA torturers.  They immortalized Bush's taxcuts for the rich.  They took us from 2 wars to 7, ramped up whistleblower prosecutions under the Espionage Act, bailed out banks while homeowners drowned.  Didn't prosecute anyone for the Iraq War (except the whistleblower), didn't prosecute anyone for the financial crisis.  They stacked their cabinet with a handpicked list from Citigroup.  They built many of the immigrant detention centers we now decry as prison camps.  They failed to close Guantanamo like they promised.  Time and time again, they supported this country's descent into an authoritarian, oligarchic state.  When Obama pulled this PR stunt in Flint, black voters in Michigan realized he wasn't their president anymore.  And then we got Trump.  

When the author laments the transfer of power to a single party, he's referring to how that party inevitably fails to pass meaningful reforms, the minority party does a big song and dance about how it's going to finally change Washington, and the cycle repeats itself over and over and over again, as it has for decades.  

Perhaps these changes represented a shift in government that was 'good' on net to some people.  I think they were mostly incremental changes.  Even the ACA, arguably the signature piece of legislation, was essentially Romneycare on a national scale.  The healthcare industry is a racket now.  Obama opposed gay marriage before he 'evolved'.  He could have removed marijuana from the drug schedule, but didn't.  

There were many changes for the worse.  The Democrats granted final immunity to Bush's CIA torturers.  They immortalized Bush's taxcuts for the rich.  They took us from 2 wars to 7, ramped up whistleblower prosecutions under the Espionage Act, bailed out banks while homeowners drowned.  Didn't prosecute anyone for the Iraq War (except the whistleblower), didn't prosecute anyone for the financial crisis.  They stacked their cabinet with a handpicked list from Citigroup.  They built many of the immigrant detention centers we now decry as prison camps.  They failed to close Guantanamo like they promised.  Time and time again, they supported this country's descent into an authoritarian, oligarchic state.  When Obama pulled this PR stunt in Flint, black voters in Michigan realized he wasn't their president anymore.  And then we got Trump.  

When the author laments the transfer of power to a single party, he's referring to how that party inevitably fails to pass meaningful reforms, the minority party does a big song and dance about how it's going to finally change Washington, and the cycle repeats itself over and over and over again, as it has for decades.  
Yes, I understand what is being said, I’m saying I disagree for the reasons I stated. 

Yes, I understand what is being said, I’m saying I disagree for the reasons I stated. 
Ok, well he wasn't saying literally nothing at all changes between revolving administrations.  The reasons you stated are inconsequential compared to the other stuff that happened and not really germane to his point. 

Ok, well he wasn't saying literally nothing at all changes between revolving administrations.  The reasons you stated are inconsequential compared to the other stuff that happened and not really germane to his point. 
I understand that your opinion is that those things are inconsequential in comparison to the things you are discussing.  I disagree with you. 

I understand that your opinion is that those things are inconsequential in comparison to the things you are discussing.  I disagree with you. 
Just saying, his point is not hard to understand.  You said you don't understand the position that 'vote blue no matter who' is essentially voting for more of the same.  You said Democrats are pushing policy like crazy- and I pointed out how they're pushing policies like crazy because they know absolutely zero of them will actually pass through the Senate and Executive branch.  They do this because it's a cheap political stunt to build favor for their 2020 ambitions.  I outlined how many of the policies stay the same or even get worse regardless of who is in power (you didn't acknowledge any of them).  If you disagree that's fine, but if you do understand then there's no need to play dumb about why people feel disenfranchised by both parties.  

Just saying, his point is not hard to understand.  You said you don't understand the position that 'vote blue no matter who' is essentially voting for more of the same.  You said Democrats are pushing policy like crazy- and I pointed out how they're pushing policies like crazy because they know absolutely zero of them will actually pass through the Senate and Executive branch.  They do this because it's a cheap political stunt to build favor for their 2020 ambitions.  I outlined how many of the policies stay the same or even get worse regardless of who is in power (you didn't acknowledge any of them).  If you disagree that's fine, but if you do understand then there's no need to play dumb about why people feel disenfranchised by both parties.  
I’m not playing dumb. I don’t understand how someone comes to the positions he has or the position you have while staying intellectually engaged and honest in the world.  I understand what the position is, I don’t understand the mindset that makes a person take it. 

That is a little disingenuous though.

I don't think anyone expects the GOP-led senate to rubber-stamp any House measure.  The expected response is to take up the measure, offering a GOP-centric solution, and then the two chambers can get together to see if there is a compromise that they can each live with.

By failing to even consider the House resolutions, the GOP is removing the possibility of moving the process forward.

That is a little disingenuous though.

I don't think anyone expects the GOP-led senate to rubber-stamp any House measure.  The expected response is to take up the measure, offering a GOP-centric solution, and then the two chambers can get together to see if there is a compromise that they can each live with.

By failing to even consider the House resolutions, the GOP is removing the possibility of moving the process forward.
Right- the Republicans are to blame as well for not passing policy that improves people's lives.  

The point is, why do we pretend that one party is benevolent when they're both largely owned by the same corporate structures?  

For people that are tired of 'lesser evil' voting, there isn't a substantial enough difference between the two corrupt parties to keep going down this road.  

After DeBlasio's latest insanity, I will find it hard to vote red again. When a party rewards criminals, they are insane.

if you think about it - we as voters are in a bind

conservatives will vote GOP because the core policies of the DNC is unacceptable - and so too will liberals vote DNC because they don't like the core policies of GOP

does the candidate REALLY matter anymore at all ? for a million or two swing votes maybe yes, but the majority has their minds made up already don't they ?

That's when it's most important. If you're VBNMW (as everyone should be this time around), then you need to vote in the primaries so that you hopefully aren't just voting blue, but voting for the candidate you prefer.
Then you risk alienating a voting block that might otherwise vote for you in the general.  The issues obviously don't matter to you.  Let the primary be decided by those who care about them.

Then you risk alienating a voting block that might otherwise vote for you in the general.  The issues obviously don't matter to you.  Let the primary be decided by those who care about them.
That's quite an ignorant assumption. If the issues don't matter, then why vote at all? The concept behind VBNMW is that the current administration is so wrong that any mildly competent adult would be better. It doesn't mean that you don't actually have an opinion on which candidate is best. 

That's quite an ignorant assumption. If the issues don't matter, then why vote at all? The concept behind VBNMW is that the current administration is so wrong that any mildly competent adult would be better. It doesn't mean that you don't actually have an opinion on which candidate is best. 
If they don't nominate a progressive, I'll pull the lever for Trump.  There are many others out there like me that will do the same.  If your main goal is to defeat Trump, you may want to consider that.

If they don't nominate a progressive, I'll pull the lever for Trump.  There are many others out there like me that will do the same.  If your main goal is to defeat Trump, you may want to consider that.
Shame on you, but at the same time there are a lot of people saying the opposite of you ("if they nominate someone too progressive, I'll pull the lever for trump"). In the end, I don't care about either type of voter because the majority of voters won't be voting for trump. Any free thinking person knows what he is by now and any of those people with a conscience wouldn't dare put him in office for another four years. 

As someone who is hoping for a progressive, by voting for Trump would your goal be to push the Democrats further left or is there something in Trump’s agenda that is appealing to you?

As someone who is hoping for a progressive, by voting for Trump would your goal be to push the Democrats further left or is there something in Trump’s agenda that is appealing to you?
The two deal breaker issues for me are M4A and FP.  It find it very unlikely that a candidate with this platform will come out of the GOP to challenge a Democrat incumbent. 

Shame on you, but at the same time there are a lot of people saying the opposite of you ("if they nominate someone too progressive, I'll pull the lever for trump"). In the end, I don't care about either type of voter because the majority of voters won't be voting for trump. Any free thinking person knows what he is by now and any of those people with a conscience wouldn't dare put him in office for another four years. 
Any free thinking person also knows that the DNC elite are in the pockets of the MIC, the banking cartel, big pharm, insurance companies, private prisons, etc.  You are playing right into their hands.

Any free thinking person also knows that the DNC elite are in the pockets of the MIC, the banking cartel, big pharm, insurance companies, private prisons, etc.  You are playing right into their hands.
I didn't vote for Hillary and I won't be voting Biden or Tulsi in the primary. 

And you can't be so naive as to think that trump, so desperate for money that he pilfered $3MM from a charity, can't be easily bought out by all of those that you just named. If you vote for trump, you are playing right into their hands. Never has a president been so easily influenced by promises of money and/or power as this one.

I didn't vote for Hillary and I won't be voting Biden or Tulsi in the primary. 

And you can't be so naive as to think that trump, so desperate for money that he pilfered $3MM from a charity, can't be easily bought out by all of those that you just named. If you vote for trump, you are playing right into their hands. Never has a president been so easily influenced by promises of money and/or power as this one.
I never claimed he couldn't.  If the choice is between two corrupt candidates, I will gladly punt on the off chance that a progressive is nominated next cycle.  The solution is going to have to come from the Dems eventually and it won't come from them if it means they have to primary their own incumbent.

I never claimed he couldn't.  If the choice is between two corrupt candidates, I will gladly punt on the off chance that a progressive is nominated next cycle.  The solution is going to have to come from the Dems eventually and it won't come from them if it means they have to primary their own incumbent.
It's flabbergasting to hear a progressive claim they'll vote trump, but in the end, I think this is moot. I don't expect Biden to win the Dem nom. Hopefully you are happy with whichever progressive wins the nom. 

The two deal breaker issues for me are M4A and FP.  It find it very unlikely that a candidate with this platform will come out of the GOP to challenge a Democrat incumbent. 
I’m drawing a blank on what “FP” is.  Is it fair to say that you are in the “push the Democrats to the left” camp then?  My concern with Trump is he’s just given a new face to some of the same old “swamp” things he ran on while introducing some new unappealing characteristics around civility.  I do get the concern about a Biden but those only ring true to me if he wasn’t (potentially) running against Trump.

I’m drawing a blank on what “FP” is.  Is it fair to say that you are in the “push the Democrats to the left” camp then?  My concern with Trump is he’s just given a new face to some of the same old “swamp” things he ran on while introducing some new unappealing characteristics around civility.  I do get the concern about a Biden but those only ring true to me if he wasn’t (potentially) running against Trump.
Sorry, FP = foreign policy.  

Navin Johnson said:
If they don't nominate a progressive I (probably) won't be voting Democrat but I definitely won't be voting Trump. I'll most likely vote Green again, I know they won't win but its most likely supporting the issues I care about, helps the green party get funding and pushes Dems Left (if only slightly)

If they don't nominate a progressive I (probably) won't be voting Democrat but I definitely won't be voting Trump. I'll most likely vote Green again, I know they won't win but its most likely supporting the issues I care about, helps the green party get funding and pushes Dems Left (if only slightly)
Probably substitute libertarian for green but otherwise this is exactly where I'm at.

Because "Vote for a sexual assaulter no matter who" just doesn't rhyme for Biden.

I agonized in 2016 about whether to vote my conscience and vote Johnson or vote Clinton for the sake of rejecting Trump even though I hated her with every fiber of my being and still do.

Ultimately I did vote for her and a major factor in that decision was the credible sexual assault allegations against Trump. 

So no, I won't be voting for Biden. the Democrats had over twenty other candidates they could have chosen and they went with the Me Too guy.

Unbelievable and yet so very believable.

I agonized in 2016 about whether to vote my conscience and vote Johnson or vote Clinton for the sake of rejecting Trump even though I hated her with every fiber of my being and still do.

Ultimately I did vote for her and a major factor in that decision was the credible sexual assault allegations against Trump. 

So no, I won't be voting for Biden. the Democrats had over twenty other candidates they could have chosen and they went with the Me Too guy.

Unbelievable and yet so very believable.
I voted for Johnson because I didn't like either mainstream candidate. This year I am voting to get Trump out of office. I don't like it, I wish I didn't have to, and I'm going to have to take a shower afterwards, but I am not going to vote for a candidate that stands no realistic chance at unseating Trump. The past 4 years have been a disaster, and the best way to change that and get this nation back to some sanity is to vote him out.

I was all set to vote for Biden and then I heard that he once may have done something that Trump has been accused of doing 20+ times, so now I'm not sure.

Joe Biden 2020: 20 times less rape than Trump 
You could put literally anything after the colon and it wouldn't matter at this point. I will vote for a puddle of hyena entrails and bat guano over Trump. At least the puddle would know better than to vomit garbage all over Twitter a hundred times a day.

You could put literally anything after the colon and it wouldn't matter at this point. I will vote for a puddle of hyena entrails and bat guano over Trump. At least the puddle would know better than to vomit garbage all over Twitter a hundred times a day.
To me it's like asking Jeffrey Dahmer to babysit your children, or asking John Wayne Gacy to babysit your children.  You have to pick one!  I'm not playing their game anymore.   I will vote for someone that I actually respect.  

Biden's not going to change a ####### thing.  They are both owned by the same corporate structures.  To pretend otherwise is a fantasy.  

To me it's like asking Jeffrey Dahmer to babysit your children, or asking John Wayne Gacy to babysit your children.  You have to pick one!  I'm not playing their game anymore.   I will vote for someone that I actually respect.  

Biden's not going to change a ####### thing.  They are both owned by the same corporate structures.  To pretend otherwise is a fantasy.  
I'm with you in spirit.  But I've never played the game. I've almost always left the POTUS choice on my ballot blank. I would never vote for a candidate in any election just because they were the lesser of two evils. I had to believe in them.

We see how that turned out.

Out of curiosity,  how old are you, Ren?

What, you mean for president? Of course I'm voting for the Dem candidate no matter who it is. Finishing Donald Trump is Job One.
This ⬆️

I voted R the first three elections I voted in - Reagan, Reagan, GHWB. Up until I was 29 I thought I’d always belong to the GOP.

.Have voted D the last 7 (1992-2016.)

I don’t vote straight ticket but for POTUS I doubt I will ever vote R again. But you never know, anything’s possible.

Users who are viewing this thread