What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

waiver wire, blind bidding question. (1 Viewer)

da_budman

Footballguy
We have a rule that had to be implemented because someone was legally but actively trying to help one person win over another (He was picked up 6 quarterbacks that he didnt need just to try to hem up the guy who needed a qb) so that teams that are no longer in the playoffs cannot use the waiver wire (but can still do FCFS) This year we changed from a rolling WW to Blind bidding. My question is does that really change anything? I mean with the rolling ww you had to at least wait till everybody gets a player without picking again. Now with FAAB, if allowed and the guy that has faab money left could theoretically do even more damage (again assuming that player is out of the playoffs. The only real downside I see is the player who conserves his FAAB and doesnt get to use it when he doesnt make the playoffs. Have any of you been through this exact scenario? Is it common to not allow people out of the playoffs use their faab money to still pick up players?

We have a rule that had to be implemented because someone was legally but actively trying to help one person win over another (He was picked up 6 quarterbacks that he didnt need just to try to hem up the guy who needed a qb) so that teams that are no longer in the playoffs cannot use the waiver wire (but can still do FCFS) This year we changed from a rolling WW to Blind bidding. My question is does that really change anything? I mean with the rolling ww you had to at least wait till everybody gets a player without picking again. Now with FAAB, if allowed and the guy that has faab money left could theoretically do even more damage (again assuming that player is out of the playoffs. The only real downside I see is the player who conserves his FAAB and doesnt get to use it when he doesnt make the playoffs. Have any of you been through this exact scenario? Is it common to not allow people out of the playoffs use their faab money to still pick up players?
bump....I could use a little perspective from a few people please.

In our league you cannot pick up or drop players if you're out of the playoffs. I would say, yes, that is common amongst leagues.

Eventually, in your example, that dude would run out of FAAB money implementing his strategy so I think FAAB is definitely different than a rolling WW. Also, I'm not necessarily against picking up players to prevent your opponent from getting them if they need them. Or to as a trade strategy.

Not positive I'm following, a guy out of the playoffs is picking up QB's to help another team?

We use BB $ and limit teams to 3 transaction per BB FA acquisition but unlimited FCFS FA claims. This only solves part of your issue as players who are dropped are locked until next BB period. And if when the Saturday 12:00 pm moves go thru dropped Players are locked until Sunday at 12:00 pm

Pickinig up random players to "block" other teams from doing so will use up all your FAAB. In addition, if another team really needs that player they can bid high to get the player they need. That is the benefit of FAAB. It's not just an order where a team can get stuck behind other teams. The FAAB bid allows all teams equal footing to get players they need.

I can understand not allowing teams eliminated from the playoffs from waiver acquisitions during the playoffs because they are not playing. However, if the regular season is still going doesn't that give an advantage to their opponents because the "out of it" team cannot put their best lineup in by acquiring helpful players? I would think as long as the regular season is still going (and affecting playoff matchups/seeds/final spots) you would want teams out of the playoffs to still be trying to field the best team possible to keep the competition as good as possible. This just seems like a bad idea that pushes teams out of it to be even more out of it.

Not positive I'm following, a guy out of the playoffs is picking up QB's to help another team?
Correct..... He picked up all the quarterbacks that were any good after realizing the team that he DIDNT want to win the superbowl had bad need of a quarterback early in the playoffs. This guy hoarding qbs had zero need for a qb. It didnt end up affecting anything but well could have. After that attempt we made the rule that when out of the playoffs, you could no longer use the WW.....btw when we had no specific rule on player churning in the fcfs (whole nother subject) we had to make an official rule to stop that......So far we have 2 new rules because of this players shenanigans and probably have another one next year specifically caused by this same owner.

So far we have 2 new rules because of this players shenanigans and probably have another one next year specifically caused by this same owner.
Sounds like if he isn't like minded with the rest of the league and is causing these type of issues maybe he just needs to go.
Yeah he can be a PITA but he is also one of the original owners when the league was formed 25 years ago and is a great guy overall.....except he is a rule pusher. Last week when the commish told everybody the league trade deadline is 1pm this past sunday he (and only he) complained and said the deadline should be Tonight at kickoff ( keep in mind we have never had a trade on a monday....especially on the monday of the trade deadline week.

agree with gally above. might be cliche, but it's the people, not the rule. there really isn't enough rules to regulate things like this in a blind bid waiver system. in my long running league there is an overarching "rule" that every owner commits to a honor system and such douchebaggery would never stand. i don't have to enforce that, everyone just calls each other out on things like this and it's self-regulated. but it is explicitly stated as an honor system right on top of the league charter. people like this will cause more problems later as soon as you plug any holes without such a consensus from all owners.

Pickinig up random players to "block" other teams from doing so will use up all your FAAB. In addition, if another team really needs that player they can bid high to get the player they need. That is the benefit of FAAB. It's not just an order where a team can get stuck behind other teams. The FAAB bid allows all teams equal footing to get players they need.

I can understand not allowing teams eliminated from the playoffs from waiver acquisitions during the playoffs because they are not playing. However, if the regular season is still going doesn't that give an advantage to their opponents because the "out of it" team cannot put their best lineup in by acquiring helpful players? I would think as long as the regular season is still going (and affecting playoff matchups/seeds/final spots) you would want teams out of the playoffs to still be trying to field the best team possible to keep the competition as good as possible. This just seems like a bad idea that pushes teams out of it to be even more out of it.
I should have clarified....the ban on using the WW only starts during the playoffs.... We play a " pro bowl" last game after the superbowl and those players eliminated from using the WW get their WW privileges back week 18 before that pro bowl. I hadnt thought about it but faab makes it harder for a team to corner the market. And the guy with the qb issue certainly should have, and did, pick up a back up qb eventually.... but trying to upgrade that was difficult because the guy emptied his bench in order to churn qbs for 3 weeks. Absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading your lineup even if youre out of the playoffs BUT it became apparent that the dude who didnt even make an 8 man playoff was actively trying to affect the playoffs that he wasnt even a part of. Thus the rule change.

If one team is working together with another team in a nefarious plot to block a third team from acquiring a QB, it is collusion. What am I missing?

If one team is working together with another team in a nefarious plot to block a third team from acquiring a QB, it is collusion. What am I missing?
the fact that the other sb team had no part in it. I would bet my life on that since I was the SB loser. lol it was a 1 man vendetta against the eventual winner.

Last edited:
the fact that the other sb team had no part in it. I would bet my life on that. it was a 1 man vendetta against the eventual winner.

In our league you cannot pick up or drop players if you're out of the playoffs. I would say, yes, that is common amongst leagues.

Eventually, in your example, that dude would run out of FAAB money implementing his strategy so I think FAAB is definitely different than a rolling WW. Also, I'm not necessarily against picking up players to prevent your opponent from getting them if they need them. Or to as a trade strategy.
Agreed as a strategy when you are still playing for something blocking and as a trade strategy are perfectly fine.

Yes in escence,,,,, he was picking up qbs because he knew team A was in bad need of a playable qb. He did it, I am convinced, to try and keep player 1 from winning but not in collusion with player 2.....

We use BB $ and limit teams to 3 transaction per BB FA acquisition but unlimited FCFS FA claims. This only solves part of your issue as players who are dropped are locked until next BB period. And if when the Saturday 12:00 pm moves go thru dropped Players are locked until Sunday at 12:00 pm
Our players, when dropped, arent available till the following weeks WW. Interesting the limits on the BB ww pickups....

Yeah he can be a PITA but he is also one of the original owners when the league was formed 25 years ago and is a great guy overall.....except he is a rule pusher.
Rule pushers are the worst when it comes to trying to create league bylaws. I like to find owners that understand that there is more than the letter of the law and that the intent of the law matters as well. You can never close every loophole in written rules but understanding the intent of the rule and abiding by that solves many of those issues.

Owners that try and weasel their way into loopholes around the intent of the rule make a commish's life miserable.

Users who are viewing this thread