What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Playoff Defenses? (1 Viewer)

NY/NJMFDIVER

Footballguy
I'm trotting the Jags out there week in, week out and they are just destroying me. I'm in a 16 teamer so the pickins are slim, but has anyone researched waiver wire playoff D's? I'm gonna do some of my own later, but looking to pick the brain of the oracles here!

The Miami Dolphins are the team you are looking for. After this week, they get @STL, @BUF, SF, @KC. Might not be around in a 16 teamer.

Also, use the search function. This has been discussed at least once.

I'm trotting the Jags out there week in, week out and they are just destroying me. I'm in a 16 teamer so the pickins are slim, but has anyone researched waiver wire playoff D's? I'm gonna do some of my own later, but looking to pick the brain of the oracles here!
I'm no oracle but I have done a bit of research on this subject. (And I don't look at week 14 because it isn't a playoff week for me)These are all defenses that should be available on the WW in a 12 teamer. 16-teamer I don't know.

Week 15

New England looks good playing at Oakland

Seattle has some potential playing at St Louis

Indy at home against Detroit

Week 16

Atlanta at Minny

Indy at Jax (not high on this one yet)

New Orleans at Detroit

San Fran at St. Louis (love this one)

I base this on teams giving up big fantasy numbers to opposing defenses and SOS as well as the play having a defense capable of taking advantage of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ariz: StL, Min, NE (wk 14,15,16)Indy: Cin, Det, Jac SD: Oak, KC, TBMia: Buf, SF, KC
Love Arizona and Miami but would they be on the waiver wire in a 16-teamer. Zona is in one of my 12-teamers.Their matchups in weeks 14 and 15 are very nice.Your list brings the question to mind: Is KC still considered a good D/ST opponent? Their turnovers are way down and they are able to move the ball and score pretty well.

The Miami Dolphins are the team you are looking for. After this week, they get @STL, @BUF, SF, @KC. Might not be around in a 16 teamer.
I grabbed them a couple of weeks ago thinking this same thing. But I've been very unimpressed. They've struggled to beat two crappy offenses the past two weeks (Seattle and Oakland). I'm not sure they're the playoff gold I assumed they would be. They look like a paper tiger to me.

I grabbed them a couple of weeks ago thinking this same thing. But I've been very unimpressed. They've struggled to beat two crappy offenses the past two weeks (Seattle and Oakland). I'm not sure they're the playoff gold I assumed they would be. They look like a paper tiger to me.
True, but they had two huge games just prior to that (at least in my scoring). And at this point the pickings have got to be pretty slim.

True, but they had two huge games just prior to that (at least in my scoring). And at this point the pickings have got to be pretty slim.
I agree. I'm holding them but I've lowered my expectations considerably after the last two weeks. I'm not sure what to expect against the Patriots this week. New England's nothing special offensively but I think the Pats are a helluva lot better than the Seahawks and Raiders.

Thoughts on Was DEF?? : Bal, Cin, Phi, SF (wk 14-17). Play Sea this week.
If McNabb doesn't get his act together and Westbrook doesn't get any healthier I suppose you could do worse. But they just don't score very much even with a good game.Against bad teams they've been getting 12-13 points at most.

If Sanders is healthy, then Indy is the key, with home games vs. Fitzpatrick/Bengals and the freakin' Lions in week 14/15. Jax ain't bad either. I've paired them with MIA. Don't feel great about week 16 yet, as KC not the pushover they were, but methinks Mr. Thigpen may come back down to earth. Gonzalez getting dinged will be the start. He could have a Trent Edwards type boomerang..

Biased, but Colts/MIA a great combo to have from here on out..

Dallas available in my league, anyone think they pull it together? Have NYG but their playoff matchups not great.

I'm in the same boat trying to find a decent defense at home against a bad team and there just isn't much to choose from. I usually play matchups throughout the year, but I've absolutely butchered it this year. Had TB and Pitt at one point, and now I'm stuck with Miami.

I'm keeping an eye on seattle's D for a turnaround. In years past they were always a reliable unit and they've been double digits for 3 of the past 4. @St Louis week 15.

Grasping at straws, I know.

I'm debating if I will pick up Dallas or not. NYG doesn't have the greatest matchups but at the same time I can't see them resting players until week 17 at the earliest.

They didn't rest them last year with nothing to play against the PATS the final game of the season so why rest them thist year especially if they clinch a bye week? I think they won't rest for fear of losing their edge too early.

Great thoughts in here, actually grabbed the fish in a few other leagues prior to this, but I was on that track.

Based on the suggestions and availibility, I think I'm going to roll with Indy and see what happens. Great work here fellas!

Did the same thing; saw the same thing; and dropped them for Indy last week.

stuck with baltimore this week after getting outbid on tampa bay. i'll probably throw out another bid next week.

i've been getting killed at K though. need to decide between folk and gould.

I'm in the same boat trying to find a decent defense at home against a bad team and there just isn't much to choose from. I usually play matchups throughout the year, but I've absolutely butchered it this year. Had TB and Pitt at one point, and now I'm stuck with Miami. I'm keeping an eye on seattle's D for a turnaround. In years past they were always a reliable unit and they've been double digits for 3 of the past 4. @St Louis week 15. Grasping at straws, I know.
Rams are great matchup, but after that it's the Jets and Cardinals...two of the highest scoring Off in the NFL.

If Sanders is healthy, then Indy is the key, with home games vs. Fitzpatrick/Bengals and the freakin' Lions in week 14/15. Jax ain't bad either. I've paired them with MIA. Don't feel great about week 16 yet, as KC not the pushover they were, but methinks Mr. Thigpen may come back down to earth. Gonzalez getting dinged will be the start. He could have a Trent Edwards type boomerang..Biased, but Colts/MIA a great combo to have from here on out..
Let's face it..........there IS NO single great option out there as defenses have been all over the map this season.Picked up CAR 2 wks ago, but I've also been considering an INDY/MIA combo for the playoffs.Concerned though about Sanders health. They are 2 different defenses with/without him.Indy: Cin, Det, @JaxMia: @Buf* , SF, @KC (*=in Toronto)With this combo and the fact my FA deadline is approaching, my thoughts are I'll be able to see which of these 2 defenses emerges and can be counted on.

I'm interested in this thread because I've been holding onto the Vikings' D the entire season just for their week 14 matchup against Detroit. I just read, however, that the ruling for Pat and Kevin Williams could come the first week of December, right before week 14 and the fantasy playoffs. If they both get suspended I'd be very wary of starting the Vikings' D, even against Detroit.

Anyway, I just picked up Arizona's D thanks to some of your suggestions as they face the Rams week 14.

Im riding with DAL until week 14 & 15. I think Ill pick up either NE or IND. Leaning toward IND. Then Ill figure out week 16 when it comes. Looking at NO, SF, or HOU

I have been starting NYG and have been very happy. I picked up Miami when a similar thread touted it a while back for playoffs. Question is .....Which defense's never sit? I am thinking the Giants are one of those rare few.

I've had Tenn all year as my main Defense. I picked up Mia a few weeks ago and the J-E-T-S.

I needed another backup RB due to injuries, so I dropped MIA.

MIA and the NYJ play two common opponents in Buffalo and SF in weeks 14 & 15. Phins have a slight edge in week 16 playing at KC.(NYJ play at SEA).

Really a coint toss here on who to drop, but I decided to stay with the Jets. I think they are more opportunistic on defense and can get a def. TD or two during the playoff run.

Opinions on the JETS D from homers appreciated.

I have been starting NYG and have been very happy. I picked up Miami when a similar thread touted it a while back for playoffs. Question is .....Which defense's never sit? I am thinking the Giants are one of those rare few.
I have NYG D and wondering do I go with the the rest of the year. They do have some tough matcups coming up though.

I've picked up the Colts in both my leagues based on advice from here. Great matchups coming up beginning next week. Sitting the Steelers for them will be a tough call in the coming weeks, but if Sanders can get healthy, they should make a good play.

I was thinking the same thing but they did have a huge week against the Raiders with sacks and yardage (the D only gave up 2 field goals too) even if the scoreboard doesn't indicate as much.I think the bigger concern is that both KC and SF look like they are playing much better on offense the past few weeks and may not be the cake matchups everyone is hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread