What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Targets heading into week 7 (1 Viewer)

As someone starting Gus Edwards every week I’m really seeking a relationship with a real RB2.

Due to byes and injuries my opponent this week is decimated so I’m trying to think which of these guys has more mid-term/season-long value.

I think I’m sort of in agreement with @da_budman line of thinking.

And I’d rank the available RBs that people are targeting as such.

Mason > Hunt > Evans > Ahmed > Reynolds > Murray

I also continue to think that CEH could be a thing again. Maybe it’s just fond memories of wishing he was in the past. But if something happened to Pacheco I could see him producing and he’s on very few radars.
There is no doubt if Pacheco were out CEH would have good value. The question is where do you value him vs other true handcuffs. I think there are a number of rostered handcuffs who shouldnt be ahead of CEH.

L. Murray is going to be a sleeper this week.

BUF is facing a reeling NE team. Could see that game getting messy (especially after BUF's performance last night) and Murray getting some serious touches in a blowout.
NE has no offense but their D has given up less points on the year than 22 other teams so given their offensive woes that isnt horrible, especially since they have faced some pretty good offenses. They held Philly to 25 and Miami to 24 points. Buffalo only scored 20 on Jax ans 14 on NYG in their last 2 games and Allen has some sort of injury. While they certainly are capable of a big blowout they arent trending that direction. I would be more optimistic about Murrays usage in the last game vs getting garbage touches in a blowout.
They still had Judon and Gonzalez in the early games. That said, the D is hanging in there.

LV hadn't scored more than 18 points this year...until yesterday.

Just see BUF getting a lot of possessions and the constant leaning on that D eventually breaks them down in the 2nd half.

Even if there is no blowout, Murray's getting a lot of touches and now Harris is out as well.
NE is such an interesting team. Its hard NOT to put up some points on them because opponents offenses are on the field so much due to their own offense woes. In the last game it was Murray not Moss who was in the game at crunch time and Moss certainly doesnt get goal line carries. I agree with you with Murray being a sneaky play...just for a different reason. :-)

BUF is facing a reeling NE team. Could see that game getting messy (especially after BUF's performance last night) and Murray getting some serious touches in a blowout.
NE has no offense but their D has given up less points on the year than 22 other teams so given their offensive woes that isnt horrible, especially since they have faced some pretty good offenses. They held Philly to 25 and Miami to 24 points. Buffalo only scored 20 on Jax ans 14 on NYG in their last 2 games and Allen has some sort of injury. While they certainly are capable of a big blowout they arent trending that direction. I would be more optimistic about Murrays usage in the last game vs getting garbage touches in a blowout.
They still had Judon and Gonzalez in the early games. That said, the D is hanging in there.

Just see BUF getting a lot of possessions and the constant leaning on that D eventually breaks them down in the 2nd half.

Even if there is no blowout, Murray's getting a lot of touches and now Harris is out as well.
NE is such an interesting team. Its hard NOT to put up some points on them because opponents offenses are on the field so much due to their own offense woes. In the last game it was Murray not Moss who was in the game at crunch time and Moss certainly doesnt get goal line carries. I agree with you with Murray being a sneaky play...just for a different reason. :-)
Moss? You lost me here.

Moss? You lost me here.
I think they are confusing Zach Moss (no longer on Buffalo) with James Cook (currently on Buffalo).

Moss? You lost me here.
I think they are confusing Zach Moss (no longer on Buffalo) with James Cook (currently on Buffalo).
That makes sense. Thanks.

Was watching the end of the Rangers and Astros game while reading and responding… so for a second I thought perhaps I was really dumb or just missing something.

I'm watching DAL-LAC tonight to get a feel for two WRs going forward:

Michael Gallup (I already have him as my WR5) has the same targets as Lamb the past three weeks (7-6-5) and has posted 6-92, 5-60, 2-15, with no TDs yet as Dak's 3a/3b target (tied with Pollard)

Quenton Johnson... is he ready after bye week planning? I'd like to get in on him before he has a big game. Maybe has more late-season upside than Gallup, but has a rookie hill to climb behind Allen, Ekeler, Palmer, and TEs.

Moss? You lost me here.
That makes sense. Thanks.

Was watching the end of the Rangers and Astros game while reading and responding… so for a second I thought perhaps I was really dumb or just missing something.
Nahh that was me. Earlier I was answering a question about Moss (who ISNT with buffalo, who IS with indy) and missed a gear there lol Dont get me started on the Cook(S) versus Cooks :wink: :laugh:

Who is the best 1 week plug and play option this week (due to injuries and slew of byes I only have one RB on the roster eligible to start this week and need 2)

- Mason
- Evans
- Ahmed
- Reynolds

None of them will be lead backs except maybe Evans and the Rams could just decide to pass it 50 times so his value would be highly dependent on TDs.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me. @da_budman made a good point on the previous page that has me leaning Evans over Reynolds. Not sure where to place Ahmed in the mix, nor Mason, hopefully by tomorrow evening there's more clarity on the injury situations.

Plus division games can be weird.

As someone starting Gus Edwards every week I’m really seeking a relationship with a real RB2.

Due to byes and injuries my opponent this week is decimated so I’m trying to think which of these guys has more mid-term/season-long value.

I think I’m sort of in agreement with @da_budman line of thinking.

And I’d rank the available RBs that people are targeting as such.

Mason > Hunt > Evans > Ahmed > Reynolds > Murray

I also continue to think that CEH could be a thing again. Maybe it’s just fond memories of wishing he was in the past. But if something happened to Pacheco I could see him producing and he’s on very few radars.
Don't say that! He's my last healthy RB.

A bit of a desperate reach, but Latavius Murray got 12 carries in a close game compared to Cook's 14. Obviously, Cook is the main guy, but assuming Harris is out, his handful of touches need to go somewhere, so maybe Murray continues a slight uptick in usage.

Every year we roll our eyes at Murray being on sites WW darling of the week.

It ain’t gonna last…but dude is relevant for a few weeks every year. You could do worse than using Lactavious for a one week bye filler. Especially in a league where the wire is barren.

Feel like I should go wash my hand 3-4 times after typing that…

What's interesting is that the nature of CMC's injury, plus the MNF game, means my strategy on the SF handcuff options is very different. For the league where I have CMC, I'm strongly incentivized to target Mitchell/Mason because if I picked up, say, Roschon Johnson, I'd have to decide by Sunday whether to start him, potentially before I knew CMC's status.

On the other hand, in the league where I don't have him (and desperately need a starting RB with Kyren out), picking up the SF RBs is risky because I could end up waiting until Monday night and then getting screwed when McCaffrey plays. So in that case I'm strongly incentivized to go with one of the lower-ceiling options like Zach Evans or Latavius.

It's certainly possible we'll know by Sunday morning whether CMC is likely to play, but we almost definitely won't know by the time waivers run tonight

What's interesting is that the nature of CMC's injury, plus the MNF game, means my strategy on the SF handcuff options is very different. For the league where I have CMC, I'm strongly incentivized to target Mitchell/Mason because if I picked up, say, Roschon Johnson, I'd have to decide by Sunday whether to start him, potentially before I knew CMC's status.

On the other hand, in the league where I don't have him (and desperately need a starting RB with Kyren out), picking up the SF RBs is risky because I could end up waiting until Monday night and then getting screwed when McCaffrey plays. So in that case I'm strongly incentivized to go with one of the lower-ceiling options like Zach Evans or Latavius.

It's certainly possible we'll know by Sunday morning whether CMC is likely to play, but we almost definitely won't know by the time waivers run tonight
Its why I prefer Wednesday midnight waiver wires vs Tuesday midnight. One extra day to sort out injuries can be HUGE. I dont really understand why leagues prefer Tuesday waiver wires.

Its why I prefer Wednesday midnight waiver wires vs Tuesday midnight. One extra day to sort out injuries can be HUGE. I dont really understand why leagues prefer Tuesday waiver wires.
Do you have a sirius fantasy radio show? I feel like I heard this already today.

Do you have a sirius fantasy radio show? I feel like I heard this already today.
No... Not only do I NOT have a Sirus show....I dont even have Sirus lol.... Just seems common sense to me.

2 late additions to the waiver wire list James Robinson was just signed by green bay and Julio Jones was just signed by Philly......Not sure what to make of these but very interesting adds.

2 late additions to the waiver wire list James Robinson was just signed by green bay and Julio Jones was just signed by Philly......Not sure what to make of these but very interesting adds.
One hasn’t accepted he sucks and the other needs a paycheck.

A bit of a desperate reach, but Latavius Murray got 12 carries in a close game compared to Cook's 14. Obviously, Cook is the main guy, but assuming Harris is out, his handful of touches need to go somewhere, so maybe Murray continues a slight uptick in usage.
Considering Murray seems to be the goalline and 3rd down back I think a case can be made that he is a better start than Cook.
Good points. And with the biggest bye week so far, not a bad reach

I prefer it so that guys dropped on the first pass can be picked up in time for the Thursday game. Because of our league hosts settings, and waivers only running once per day, when someone is dropped Wednesday they don't clear waivers before the Thursday game starts, so they'd be locked for 7 days until the next run.

Between byes and injuries, I'm in need of a 1-week filler Flex in my starting lineup and have only 1 roster space to play with.

Currently looking at, roughly in this order, using my claim on:

Craig Reynolds DET
Zach Evans LAR
Kareem Hunt CLE
Elijah Mitchell SF

...with the idea of plugging in whichever one I get as the flex unless/until there is new news by Saturday/Sunday AM

Any reason to move this order around? Anyone seem more or less likely to be useful in week 7?
For me it would be Evans first because he is almost surely the starter this week vs a Pitt team that hasnt stopped the run yet and as a bonus his only competition to the backup rbspot there has a grade 3 AC joint injury. Renolds vs a balt team that arent nearly as easy to run on. Hunt had an een split with Ford so are things changing in cleveland???? Mitchell would be the pick except we dont know if he is the starter over Mason.
My order for 1 week would be:
Evans> Reynolds>Hunt> Mitchell

My order for the rest of the season would be
Mitchell (if we find out CMC injury is a long term injury.
Otherwise
Hunt>Evans>Mitchell> Reynolds

I agree with @da_budman 100% on this take as far as my league goes:
  • Mitchell drafted and rostered all year
  • Hunt was picked up a long time ago
  • Evans has the clearest path to starters snaps with only practice squad callup Royce Freeman as competition (e.g., none)
  • Reynolds will likely get only a sprinkling of touches IMO, Gibbs will see usage similar to the ATL game
WRT to the latter, snaps were 38-19 in favor of Gibbs, Rush ATT were 17-4, routes run was 17-9, targets were 2-0 (I would expect to see a big increase in the latter but what do I know.)

As for Evans, former #1 RB recruit who has never been a bell cow, but not due to anything related to his on field production. Good athlete who should thrive at home v PIT.

Evans RAS

Zach Evans is a RB prospect in the 2023 draft class. He scored a 8.74 #RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 220 out of 1740 RB from 1987 to 2023.

I posted an extensive writeup over a couple posts on Evans 8 days ago in his player thread.

I prefer it so that guys dropped on the first pass can be picked up in time for the Thursday game. Because of our league hosts settings, and waivers only running once per day, when someone is dropped Wednesday they don't clear waivers before the Thursday game starts, so they'd be locked for 7 days until the next run.
I also like having Wednesday to negotiate trades that may need to go through prior to Thursday games. A lot of managers won't entertain trades until waivers run to see if they got their guy(s).

We run 1 ww a week and dropped players are locked till the following week. I can see why you favor earlier but I dont think running a ww every day is a normal setting. I dont think players dropped on tuesday or wednesday are (or should be) available before the thursday night game.

We run 1 ww a week and dropped players are locked till the following week. I can see why you favor earlier but I dont think running a ww every day is a normal setting. I dont think players dropped on tuesday or wednesday are (or should be) available before the thursday night game.

I get it, we're just a little more casual, and it gets frustrating when the one owner who insists on carrying Harrison Butker over his bye picks up a 2nd kicker for just one week, drops him on the next Wednesday once the rental is done, and of course he's playing in a dome that Thursday night and six other teams are on a bye and there's slim pickings elsewhere on the wire when you're looking to stream. Not that I'm bitter or anything!

I also like having Wednesday to negotiate trades that may need to go through prior to Thursday games. A lot of managers won't entertain trades until waivers run to see if they got their guy(s).
This I can see as an advantage to tuesdays. Making a trade after the WW runs on wedesday is a much tighter time frame BUT can be accomplished with some creative language in the trade (recogniing that isnt ideal either because you have to alert the other tradee who you are going after in the WW) Something like: I will trade you john doe for bill smith ONLY if I get george jones off the WW.

Not sure which one is which but Robinson actually looked pretty good in Jax before the trade then was burried on the jets roster. Pre season he looked pretty good during pre season the game I saw him. The runningbacks in GB are either chronically injured or averaging 3 yds a carry, I think there is room for SOMEONE to play there. Not sure whether that will be robinson or not.

And after all that, I ended up picking up Mitchell in my non-CMC league. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.

My logic was this: Woke up this morning to see I had lost out on Evans, and all of the available options were pretty much their teams' RB2s (Latavius, Hunt, McLaughlin). Meanwhile, Mitchell had cleared waivers. I figured among that group, he's the one with the best chance of leading his team in touches. So I picked him up for now. If CMC is declared out before Sunday morning, I can start him with some level of confidence. And if the situation is still murky, I can pick up one of the other guys

Yes, it's the reason I did it in my league.

I picked up the Browns DST for 27/1000 last night. The second highest bid was also 27/1000, but since he had already got another guy with a higher bid, that moved me ahead of him in waiver priority. That's the first time I ever nailed the bid price right on the nose.

I had started with a bid of 16, which equalled the highest DST bid all year in my league. Then bumped to 17 and just before going to bed I upped it to 27. Hopefully I can ride them ROS.

Considering Murray seems to be the goalline and 3rd down back I think a case can be made that he is a better start than Cook.
Good points. And with the biggest bye week so far, not a bad reach
Yeah, my previous best option at RB2 this week was/is Keaontay Ingram, so I grabbed Latavius as a potential start just for this week.

I’m razor thin at WR in my dynasty league and pre-emptively picked up I like Chase Claypool as an upside flyer. Decent chance he’ll make his Dolphins debut Sunday night against the Eagles and he’s had a lot of success against them already in 2 games. As a matter of fact, he has a pass TD (last year), rush TD, and 3 receiving TDs (2020) to his name, for a total of 5 TDs. That was as the #3 WR for the Steelers. Claypool is coming in to a much more explosive offense with Miami. At 6-4 and 238 lbs. he gives that aerial attack some massive size that they were lacking. The physical talent is there, it’s just a matter of getting past his immaturity issues that got him sent packing twice halfway through his rookie contract.

Definitely a reclamation project for Mike McDaniel, but could pay off big. Still only 25 years old. Healthy. Big, strong, fast. It’s just about what’s between the ears, and perhaps the winning culture that McDaniel is fostering in Miami can help with that. It’s a long shot but worth keeping an eye on. I want a piece of that Dolphins offense when I can and there’s some serious upside here if Claypool can carve out a significant role with them. Watch list material.

Last edited:

And after all that, I ended up picking up Mitchell in my non-CMC league. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.

My logic was this: Woke up this morning to see I had lost out on Evans, and all of the available options were pretty much their teams' RB2s (Latavius, Hunt, McLaughlin). Meanwhile, Mitchell had cleared waivers. I figured among that group, he's the one with the best chance of leading his team in touches. So I picked him up for now. If CMC is declared out before Sunday morning, I can start him with some level of confidence. And if the situation is still murky, I can pick up one of the other guys
Ugh, and now the reports that Kyren may miss multiple weeks has me rethinking the decision to pick up Mitchell. Maybe I should just get someone I know will have value while Williams is out, like Latavius. Alternatively, I could hope I squeeze some value out of Mitchell this week and then pivot to Singletary when he comes off his bye

Ugh, and now the reports that Kyren may miss multiple weeks has me rethinking the decision to pick up Mitchell. Maybe I should just get someone I know will have value while Williams is out, like Latavius. Alternatively, I could hope I squeeze some value out of Mitchell this week and then pivot to Singletary when he comes off his bye
If you own CMC, Mitchell is for sure the right play especially with the MNF game. Theres no telling who will be the RB in LA. Could be Evans, could be Freeman, could be Henderson or Gaskin, could be all 4. Good luck with that.

If you own CMC, Mitchell is for sure the right play especially with the MNF game. Theres no telling who will be the RB in LA. Could be Evans, could be Freeman, could be Henderson or Gaskin, could be all 4. Good luck with that.
I enjoy how confident you are in Mitchell over Mason, and that there’s no telling with Evans and the hodge podge of guys behind him.

You may very well be right… it just feels like two similar situations… with one even being tougher to call because Mason seems more talented than the guys behind Evans.

I enjoy how confident you are in Mitchell over Mason, and that there’s no telling with Evans and the hodge podge of guys behind him.

You may very well be right… it just feels like two similar situations… with one even being tougher to call because Mason seems more talented than the guys behind Evans.
I am talking from a CMC owners perspective. Id rather take the shot on CMC playing on MNF and if he doesnt at least you have Mitchell to fall back on. IMO even if Mitchell splits carries with Mason he should be solid this week. If you dont own CMC Id rather gamble on Evans as the multi-week play.

I am talking from a CMC owners perspective. Id rather take the shot on CMC playing on MNF and if he doesnt at least you have Mitchell to fall back on. IMO even if Mitchell splits carries with Mason he should be solid this week. If you dont own CMC Id rather gamble on Evans as the multi-week play.
This is exactly where I am ... except that in the league where I don't have CMC and have Williams, I lost out on Evans. So my options -- for this week and likely a few more -- are Mitchell, Murray and Hunt. Could also pick up Singletary but he's on bye this week.

What a mess really. You can't trust Shanny or McVay when it comes to RBs. Wanted Evans but now they signed 3 more, LOL. Don't trust that Detroit situation either.

10-4

Wasn’t trying to call you out, I just read it as you knowing one was a slam dunk and one was a question mark.

But clarifying to my brain that it was toward a cmc owner it makes perfect sense.

I landed both the Steelers and Browns D the wire this week, not expecting both but like the idea of having 2 good Ds.

Problem is I need to get a TE now. Do I drop Shultz who has been on a tear or do I consider dropping JSN or Doubs? Options are Njoku, Muth, Etz, Mayer or Kinkaid.

Waivers once a week would seem awful to me - I wouldn't guess that's the more common setting, but I don't know.

There's extra strategy in deciding whether to put in a WW claim or hold off, move up in the WW order, then have a better shot at picking up players dropped by others on Tues night.

Having multiple WW runs per week also gives lower ranked teams more chances to add recently dropped players.

There's also in-week practice injuries that sometimes necessitate adding someone later in the week.

It's all personal preference though. :hifive:

2 late additions to the waiver wire list
James Robinson
was just signed by green bay and
Julio Jones
was just signed by Philly......Not sure what to make of these but very interesting adds.
Not sure which one is which but
Robinson
actually looked pretty good in Jax before the trade then was burried on the jets roster. Pre season he looked pretty good during pre season the game I saw him. The runningbacks in GB are either chronically injured or averaging 3 yds a carry, I think there is room for SOMEONE to play there. Not sure whether that will be robinson or not.

Waivers once a week would seem awful to me - I wouldn't guess that's the more common setting, but I don't know.

There's extra strategy in deciding whether to put in a WW claim or hold off, move up in the WW order, then have a better shot at picking up players dropped by others on Tues night.

Having multiple WW runs per week also gives lower ranked teams more chances to add recently dropped players.

There's also in-week practice injuries that sometimes necessitate adding someone later in the week.

It's all personal preference though. :hifive:
Interesting perspective. I get where you wouldnt like once a week when you are used to the extra player churning that more WWs per weeks bring. Ive probably been in 40- 50 leagues in my life and can think of only 1 with more than 1 WW per week. I cant remember liking or not liking it more that once a week. I know people sometimes drop players that are head scratchers but during the 2nd and subsequent WWs you are picking through other peoples rejects. Seems like its a limited strategy vs using the first one. We have a first come first serve after the WW runs to account for late injuries. I would say in general I am all for almost anything that brings more strategy into the game because by extension that lowers the percentage of FF that is luck. Thanks for the response. 🙂

I landed both the Steelers and Browns D the wire this week, not expecting both but like the idea of having 2 good Ds.

Problem is I need to get a TE now. Do I drop Shultz who has been on a tear or do I consider dropping JSN or Doubs? Options are Njoku, Muth, Etz, Mayer or Kinkaid.
Stand pat

Users who are viewing this thread