What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Washington (1-6) at Minnesota (5-2) (-16.5) TNF Game Thread (1 Viewer)

I think that if the read is that Haskins isn't ready yet... he should be inactive then. McCoy worked out but was ruled inactive; you do yourself a disservice if you throw him out there and you know he isn't ready. Sit him the year; it's not a race to see which young QB becomes the starter first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every week this is the case, and Gruden was the same. They would rather lose a closer game if possible than be aggressive and maybe win but maybe lose in a way that's perceived to be worse. 
:goodposting:

I thought for sure that after Doug Pederson, a second-year coach, beat Bill freaking Belichick in the Super Bowl with a backup QB by playing all-out balls-to-the-wall for 60 minutes, the NFL would sit up, take notice, and maybe step outside their comfort zone a little more.

I was wrong.

Looked like Callahan was playing to not lose badly. Had no plan to win the game once Haskins came in. 
I think the entire Redskin coaching staff doesn't want to prepare Haskins, doesn't want to give him all the starter reps in practice, and doesn't want him starting. That's some hungover loyalty to Gruden I guess, but it's no good for the team's future. It's not like this is some kind of primo coaching staff, and at the end of the season their opinions don't matter because they'll be gone except perhaps O'Donnell. They may want to hire him as HC because they let Kyle Shanahan, McVay, and LaFleur go and they're all HC's now outperforming (lazy, baffled, stubborn) Jay Gruden. There is no one in the front office who understands what to look for in a HC. Bruce Allen, the guy in charge, has never wanted a successful HC because that might lessen his influence over Dan Snyder. 

But there's nothing left for the Redskins to play for this season so I think they'll start Haskins for the rest of the season.  I just don't expect the coaching staff to be particularly helpful to him.  They ( the coaching staff) are not very good and they'll all be gone at the end of the season .

This team stinks from the top down.

Stephen Holloway said:
Over/Under on page length with so many avid fans anxiously awaiting the game?
five pages, I don't typically follow these, but is that a normal amount. I did not even watch the game as I had zero interest.

efactor said:
Looked like Callahan was playing to not lose badly. Had no plan to win the game once Haskins came in. 
I’m surprised by this comment. Personnel wise they’re outmatched. It seems to me Callahan has done a good job of managing games and motivating the team while relying on fundamentals. It’s pretty typical for a team to lose its footing when it loses its starter mid-game, and they were in a position to tie the game late. The D was active in stopping the 4th down try too. There’s really been some lousy luck for Was the last 2 weeks IMO.

As usual the offense (minus Scary Terry) was awful but the defense, especially the pass rush, did look good last night. If Guice comes back healthy and they can draft an elite TE I think the Skins could be competitive in 2020....assuming Haskins can play. Big IF at this point though....

efactor said:
I don't understand this, but the last two games, based on the play calling, he had no chance of winning.

Anyone thinking that Haskins could be on the Josh Rosen path?

Next HC for WAS accepts position based on being able to select a QB in 2020 draft?

Clearly Haskins has no business being on an NFL football field right now.

I’m surprised by this comment. Personnel wise they’re outmatched. It seems to me Callahan has done a good job of managing games and motivating the team while relying on fundamentals. It’s pretty typical for a team to lose its footing when it loses its starter mid-game, and they were in a position to tie the game late. The D was active in stopping the 4th down try too. There’s really been some lousy luck for Was the last 2 weeks IMO.
They were down 10 with 8 minutes left. Ran Peterson twice, incomplete pass and punt.  To me, that’s not trying to win the game. Once they punted the ball away there, they gave up any even remote chance to win the game. I get the trying to protect a rookie QB who isn’t ready yet, but if you can’t trust him to throw the ball, he shouldn’t be active.  They threw the ball 5 times in the 2nd half of a game they were behind the entire time. 

Callahan has definitely had the team better prepared to play the last couple weeks, but sometimes you have to roll the dice a bit, especially against better teams. McLaurin was able to get open last night but after Haskins got picked on the overthrow, they never went back to him.  Too conservative overall but especially the 4th quarter.  

Users who are viewing this thread