What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 08 2022 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

I need to sstart one of these in a 12 man ppr league. I know they are ugly but need 1. My choices are aj dillion vs buffalo or james cook vs gb. They have not been getting aj dillion involved recently and as for oook. I am hoping ecause the spread is 10 1/.2 against gb that the may use cook to run out clock more. I am torn. nothing on waiver wire and i took a big fat 0 for rashod bateman this thursday. thanks in advance
I agree with you logic. It's a tough decision but Dillon has been nothing but a disappointment since week one and Cook may be in for a nice day.

It could easily backfire but, honestly I don't think either of these guys are likely to put up any kind of big day so why not take a shot on the rookie and have fun rooting for him instead of starting Dillon and facing frustration every single play.

Cook>Dillon

Chaka, saw you saying you weren't thinking well of Aaron Jones @BUF, which is understandable

But are you down so far on Jones that you'd start Jamaal Williams vs MIA over Jones in a full PPR league?

Chaka, saw you saying you weren't thinking well of Aaron Jones @BUF, which is understandable

But are you down so far on Jones that you'd start Jamaal Williams vs MIA over Jones in a full PPR league?
Great ask, and my initial feeling is no I am not that down on Jones. I could absolutely see Buffalo doing to Jones what they did to Najee Harris but Aaron Jones>Najee Harris and the Green Bay offensive line, while not great is better than Pittsburgh's.

Jones should be in line for good volume this week as he is a triple threat and they use him in the red zone. The matchup is terrible but, of all the Packers he is the only one I could see giving a start this week (I said earlier, now watch the Packers roll the Bills).

I do like Jamaal because I think he is effectively the main grinder and is in line for somewhere around 15 opportunities. The Lions have a great offensive line, it's a plus matchup and they put up pinball numbers at home too so there is a lot to like about Jamaal this week. But I can't get those last two games out of my head, if I could I would probably like Jamaal over Jones, but I can't. Sure they were tough road matchups but 6 points and 7 turnovers combined in two games is a red flag by any measure.

Jones>Williams

Also, now feels like a good time to point out to everyone that, as the week goes on and I write more recommendations, I do go back and compare my previous recommendations on players to make sure I am being consistent. I also try and update earlier posts as new information comes available.. But I am sure some contradictions slip through.

Please feel free to point them out to me. I want to make sure I am as consistent as possible on my thinking.

Superflex league. 4 pt per TD pass an 1pt per 25 yd passing. Pick 2 of these 3 QBs

Brady vs BAL
Cousins vs AZ
D Jones vs SEA
I’m pretty sure I’m benching Brady and your options are better. Cousins seems the safer Pick than Jones but I’d roll with Jones.

Also On the Brady front - SF
Brady Vs Baltimore
Dalton Vs LV
ehlinger Vs Washington
Tannehill Vs Houston

I think Dalton and Tannehill but kinda tempted to throw Ehlinger out there. it’s a tight matchup, virtually equal. I do have Evans, so a stack is nice when it works.
Yeah, I hate benching Brady particularly at home when he still has Evans & Godwin. But, at some point, as a franchise manager you need to make the tough calls. It will be frustrating AF if he finally blows up on your bench, but it will probably be more frustrating if Dalton outperforms him again on your bench.

Can't knock Dalton, even without Thomas & Landry (seriously, what's up with those guys?) he has been, at the very least, efficient-ish. He should be good for 200-250 yards and 1.5 TDs with 300 & 3 upside against that very mediocre Raiders pass rush (seriously, what's up with those guys?).

Man, I have to agree that Ehlinger is tempting. I know literally nothing about the guy other than he was a 4 year starter at Texas and his college numbers are pretty solid. Looks like he can run a little too. But, it's hard to think that the Colts aren't planning to ride their running game and defense a lot more than they had been with Matt Ryan so, yeah, even if he blows up (unlikely but possible) he should probably do it on your bench.

If you're thinking of starting Tannehill over Brady, you have to monitor the practice reports today and hope you get an update before kickoff. He was DNP yesterday, if he is DNP today that means you are choosing between Brady & Ehlinger for Sunday IMO. Remember they're playing the Texans, so I anticipate a heavy dose of Derrick Henry. Even if he practices today I don't think I would start him over any of the other three. He has 6 TD passes on the season and has been under 200 yards 4 times. The team is winning so where's the upside in changing their formula?

Because of the Thursday night matchup and the lack of clarity on Tannehill & Ehlinger I think:

Dalton>Brady>Ehlinger>Tannehill
Kinda glad I went with Brady. Now it’s Dalton Vs Ehlinger for the flex. :oldunsure:

Also, now feels like a good time to point out to everyone that, as the week goes on and I write more recommendations, I do go back and compare my previous recommendations on players to make sure I am being consistent. I also try and update earlier posts as new information comes available.. But I am sure some contradictions slip through.

Please feel free to point them out to me. I want to make sure I am as consistent as possible on my thinking.
Not necessary but thank you

Superflex league. 4 pt per TD pass an 1pt per 25 yd passing. Pick 2 of these 3 QBs

Brady vs BAL
Cousins vs AZ
D Jones vs SEA
I’m pretty sure I’m benching Brady and your options are better. Cousins seems the safer Pick than Jones but I’d roll with Jones.

Also On the Brady front - SF
Brady Vs Baltimore
Dalton Vs LV
ehlinger Vs Washington
Tannehill Vs Houston

I think Dalton and Tannehill but kinda tempted to throw Ehlinger out there. it’s a tight matchup, virtually equal. I do have Evans, so a stack is nice when it works.
Yeah, I hate benching Brady particularly at home when he still has Evans & Godwin. But, at some point, as a franchise manager you need to make the tough calls. It will be frustrating AF if he finally blows up on your bench, but it will probably be more frustrating if Dalton outperforms him again on your bench.

Can't knock Dalton, even without Thomas & Landry (seriously, what's up with those guys?) he has been, at the very least, efficient-ish. He should be good for 200-250 yards and 1.5 TDs with 300 & 3 upside against that very mediocre Raiders pass rush (seriously, what's up with those guys?).

Man, I have to agree that Ehlinger is tempting. I know literally nothing about the guy other than he was a 4 year starter at Texas and his college numbers are pretty solid. Looks like he can run a little too. But, it's hard to think that the Colts aren't planning to ride their running game and defense a lot more than they had been with Matt Ryan so, yeah, even if he blows up (unlikely but possible) he should probably do it on your bench.

If you're thinking of starting Tannehill over Brady, you have to monitor the practice reports today and hope you get an update before kickoff. He was DNP yesterday, if he is DNP today that means you are choosing between Brady & Ehlinger for Sunday IMO. Remember they're playing the Texans, so I anticipate a heavy dose of Derrick Henry. Even if he practices today I don't think I would start him over any of the other three. He has 6 TD passes on the season and has been under 200 yards 4 times. The team is winning so where's the upside in changing their formula?

Because of the Thursday night matchup and the lack of clarity on Tannehill & Ehlinger I think:

Dalton>Brady>Ehlinger>Tannehill
Kinda glad I went with Brady. Now it’s Dalton Vs Ehlinger for the flex. :oldunsure:
I think it's Dalton pretty clearly. I get the idea of Ehlinger, apparently he can run a little bit and the Commodores aren't a bad matchup but the Raiders give up 3 more PPG, 45 more passing yards/game and have 10 fewer sacks (19-10).

Sure it could happen and I can't blame you for giving Ehlinger a try but the smart money is:

Dalton>Ehlinger

Not necessary but thank you
Thanks. I do it for me, mostly, I hope it is informative and makes my calls better going forward. That's why I try to track results.

A big part of the reason I do this thread is because it helps me form opinions and, I hope, helps me make better calls on my own team and maybe provides some insight on players to target, or get rid of, in trades.

D Question.

* Indy vs Wash -- Indy solid statistically, but starting Ehlinger a complete wildcard. Heinecke always good for a turnover or two.

* Wash D @ Indy -- Otherside of the above matchup. Ehlinger starting. WASH front 7 solid and can get after the QB.

* HOU D vs TN -- Tanny out. Rookie QB in. That said, D. Henry may break the record for carries tmrw.

Serious underdog. Need upside here big time.

Note: Indy D faces NE next week. Could be a solid hold.

Which?

Thanks

D Question.

* Indy vs Wash -- Indy solid statistically, but starting Ehlinger a complete wildcard. Heinecke always good for a turnover or two.

* Wash D @ Indy -- Otherside of the above matchup. Ehlinger starting. WASH front 7 solid and can get after the QB.

* HOU D vs TN -- Tanny out. Rookie QB in. That said, D. Henry may break the record for carries tmrw.

Which?

Thanks
There is literally zero predictable upside there. The Colts are the best defense on that list and Shaq Leonard is back so:

Indy>Wash>Hou

Still undecided, Full PPR
Jamaal Williams v Miami (starting Swift...and ARSB...and Goff).
Wan'Dale @ Seattle
Sutton v Jacksonville

Leaning Jamaal, but that's a whole lotta Lions to rely on.

D Question.

Which?

Thanks
Hate to say it but Houston D has big upside this week. It’s possible that the Titans get up early and just run 100 times but it seems more likely that Malik will be throwing a bit. The guy basically led college in interceptions last year, he’s unlikely to do better as a rookie.

If you’re looking for a longer term hold, Indy.

Through a series of trades and key stashes, I’ve ended up having to pick 3 between Mostert, Pollard, Walker and Etienne. I’m keying up benching Etienne if only because Denver’s defense is stout, but interested in other perspectives. Full PPR.

Great thread as always

PPR league

WR Gabe Davis vs Green Bay
WR Michael Pittman vs Washington

New QB for Indy has me a bit worried about the unknown but can't be as bad as Matt Ryan. Davis seems to be big play dependent but GB has been giving up big plays

Through a series of trades and key stashes, I’ve ended up having to pick 3 between Mostert, Pollard, Walker and Etienne. I’m keying up benching Etienne if only because Denver’s defense is stout, but interested in other perspectives. Full PPR.
Tough to distinguish between that group because they are all very good options.

I like your reasoning and would have likely arrived at the same conclusion.

Bench Etienne

Great thread as always

PPR league

WR Gabe Davis vs Green Bay
WR Michael Pittman vs Washington

New QB for Indy has me a bit worried about the unknown but can't be as bad as Matt Ryan. Davis seems to be big play dependent but GB has been giving up big plays
Gabe>Pittman

Maybe a lower floor for Gabe put too much upside, with Ehlinger at QB, that Pittman simply does not have. Also because of Ehlinger, Pittman may have a low floor.

Too much unknown, go for the big play:

Gabe>Pittman

Still undecided, Full PPR
Jamaal Williams v Miami (starting Swift...and ARSB...and Goff).
Wan'Dale @ Seattle
Sutton v Jacksonville

Leaning Jamaal, but that's a whole lotta Lions to rely on.
I do hate capping my ceiling with so many players from one team, but there's a chance every Lion can feast

Overall I do gravitate toward receivers with full PPR, compared to probably needing a TD from Jamaal for him to be the play

I own Sutton as well and feel the nervousness after his last two weeks, but I am starting him over Jamaal in that league -- you've made me rethink this slightly, but Sutton is still where I'm at, seeing as how he was putting up good consistent production those first 5 weeks

Then, as I've said in response to a previous Wan'Dale versus Sutton, purely rationally, I think Sutton has the slight edge with the first 5 week track record, plus Russ back and looking for redemption

Having said all that, I'm now thinking it's a classic floor versus ceiling question

Floor is Wan’Dale > Sutton > Jamaal

Ceiling is Jamaal > Sutton > Wan'Dale

I think that still points to Sutton as the choice, but you can adjust based on whether you need to be safe with this choice, or reach

Do this 2 ways

RB
A.Jones, Rhamondre, Pollard
Start 2 of these and the one who is not selected would be left vs Christian Kirk in my Flex

Thanks Chaka

PPR need 1 WR
A. Cooper vs Cin
Dev. Smith vs Pitt
I think I have to go with Amari. He has double digit targets, and a TD, in four games. He goes quiet too, but so does Devonta and (Insert game script prediction disclaimer here) I think probability favors Cleveland needing to score more. Also, Amari has been better by a small margin.

Amari>Devonta

PPR. Pick 2:

Mostert
Najee
Sutton
Mclaurin
3 to kickoff. If I had Mostert & Sutton I would start them over Sutton.

ETA: Oh Lord, sorry. This is what happens when you post before coffee. West Coast time, just woke up didn't proof my post. I meant:

Mostert>McLaurin>Sutton>Najee

Last edited:
Pick 2, full PPR

Lockett vs NYG
DJ Moore @ ATL
Aiyuk @ LAR
T Boyd @ Cle

Right now I have Lockett and Moore in. I think Lockett is primed for lots of targets opposite a gimpy DK, and like DJs upside against ATLs depleted secondary. Lockett's hamstring and new oblique have me seriously considering Aiyuk or Boyd with their extra targets available, but am wary of the LAR D and the Cinn Cle game script.

Similar to Chaka

12 team PPR Sutton vs W Robinson

Currently have Robinson in as I am going with Sutton in a few of other leagues vs lesser options.
Sorry I didn't get to this (Pacific time). I left Sutton on the bench, probably for Jamaal Williams but I'm still considering Wan'Dale (full PPR).

Do this 2 ways

RB
Start 2 of these and the one who is not selected would be left vs Christian Kirk in my Flex

Thanks Chaka
You will know Zeke's status before you have to make a call, my feeling is a D designation means he won't play. With that in mind I couldn't bench Pollard. This is what Pollard managers have been waiting for, it's not like he's some rookie we haven't seen, we know he can ball. Now we all want to see what he can do with a full load. Too much fun to root for is enough reason, the fact that he's been a baller is the icing on the cake. If Zeke is healthy I start Rhamondre over him.

Rhamondre is...oh wait Christian Kirk is in play here and the Jags game starter, I guess it is a moo point.

I was on my way to benching Kirk anyway.

Trying to decide between George Pickens and Diontae Johnson at WR, and between Jeff Wilson, James Robinson and Antonio Gibson at RB. Need one of each.

PPR, bonuses for over 100 yards and long TDs. thanks

Pick 2, full PPR

Lockett vs NYG
DJ Moore @ ATL
Aiyuk @ LAR
T Boyd @ Cle

Right now I have Lockett and Moore in. I think Lockett is primed for lots of targets opposite a gimpy DK, and like DJs upside against ATLs depleted secondary. Lockett's hamstring and new oblique have me seriously considering Aiyuk or Boyd with their extra targets available, but am wary of the LAR D and the Cinn Cle game script.
I consider this to be a good problem.

I get starting Moore, the Falcons have by far the worst defense against receivers of your options but I really have trouble trusting PJ Walker. However under the premises of 1) Riding the hot hand & 2) Walker will lock into Moore I will allow it. Even if I may not pull the trigger on that move myself, I think you would be correct to go with your gut.

Lockett makes some sense, particularly under the assumption that Metcalf doesn't play but Lockett is also a GTD. He'll almost certainly play but it is a consideration.

Aiyuk had 11 targets in each of the last two games and that was with Deebo in the lineup. The fact that it's such a bitter rivalry game is a consideration and I guess Ramsey could be a concern but the Niners have owned the Rams with Garoppolo under center (8-2) and for a lockdown corner Ramsey gives up a lot of big plays. Also, the Rams have been practicing their silent counts for this home game because there will probably be more Niner fans in the crowd. Aiyuk is a sold play IMO.

The argument for starting Boyd starts and ends with Joe Burrow. And that is one hell of an argument. I expect the Bengals to try and run more, and Cleveland is vulnerable to the run, but I personally think the Cincinnati offense runs exclusively through Burrow.

Go with your gut of course because the margins here are razor thin but:

Aiyuk>Boyd>Moore>Lockett

ETA: @Inferno I flip flopped on Moore v Lockett

Last edited:
Trying to decide between George Pickens and Diontae Johnson at WR, and between Jeff Wilson, James Robinson and Antonio Gibson at RB. Need one of each.

PPR, bonuses for over 100 yards and long TDs. thanks
Second question first:

Gibson and it really isn't close. There are plenty of question marks but the way they used him last week, and how effective he was with that usage is a good enough sign to roll the dice, particularly in a full PPR.

I can't start Wilson this week with McCaffrey board but also because there are trade rumors swirling around him. There is a small chance there is a trade in place and he is a late scratch. But mostly because of McCaffrey. I can't start J.Robinson this week simply because we don't know what to expect in this offense that just lost it's best offensive lineman and facing a, potentially, tough opponent.

Gibson>Robinson>Wilson

It's a real tossup between Diontae & Pickens. Johnson is still the #1 target on the Steelers but he only has a 50% catch rate with Pickett under center which is concerning.

Pickens OTOH is catching 75% of his targets, despite having an ADOT of 13.4 (Johnson is at 10.3) and his targets, while lower than Johnson's seem a little more consistent.

Ultimately the Steelers are probably going to need to throw more than average in this game so it's really a coin toss but I think if it was me your options are similar enough that I would bank on the upside:

Pickens>Diontae

Do this 2 ways

RB

Thanks Chaka
You will know Zeke's status before you have to make a call, my feeling is a D designation means he won't play. With that in mind I couldn't bench Pollard. This is what Pollard managers have been waiting for, it's not like he's some rookie we haven't seen, we know he can ball. Now we all want to see what he can do with a full load. Too much fun to root for is enough reason, the fact that he's been a baller is the icing on the cake. If Zeke is healthy I start Rhamondre over him.

Rhamondre is...oh wait Christian Kirk is in play here and the Jags game starter, I guess it is a moo point.

I was on my way to benching Kirk anyway.
Stacking all 3 Backs today, Denver defense was a tough match up for Kirk in the flex.

Thank You!

Need to start a flex (half PPR):

Lockett vs NYG
Brian Robinson vs. IND
Meyers vs NYJ
Curtis Samuel vs IND

Normally, it's Lockett by a landslide, but I'm worried about a big ol zero because he starts and then immediately comes out.

Mixon or Pollard?

Yes, this what Pollard owners have been waiting for but Mixon has a great match up on MNF as well. He's been up and down and largely dependent on TDs. However Pollard's put up similar numbers (non-PPR) as Mixon even with Zeke in the lineup.

Tempted to bench Mixon and go with Pollard.

Lockett vs NYG
Brian Robinson vs. IND
Meyers vs NYJ
Curtis Samuel vs IND

Normally, it's Lockett by a landslide, but I'm worried about a big ol zero because he starts and then immediately comes out.
Robinson continues to get a large load of touches, low end double digits last 2 weeks, maybe he scores a TD today and pops his numbers up over the 15+ range
You'd like to fall back on Meyers but with the QB play or lack of it by New England you can't really trust that they can connect consistently throughout the game.

I think it's close on a couple of the reserves you have. I like the volume BRob has been getting, eventual breakout game seems imminent one of these weeks.

Lockett vs NYG
Brian Robinson vs. IND
Meyers vs NYJ
Curtis Samuel vs IND

Yeah the GTD designation sucks for sure. But I am not sure your other options are compelling enough to bench him. The real problem is you have to make a decision before the early games kickoff.

I can probably make an argument for any of the others but if I had to choose one I probably go with Samuel. I am still encouraged with the way Washington has been deploying him. He got another 5 carries last week and even if he doesn't get a carry he is surprisingly getting over 8 targets per game (7 per game over the last four, just a tick more than Lockett). :Throw in a couple carries and you have some nice upside.

I would normally say go with the running back but he gets almost zero usage in the passing game, certainly no reliable usage that we know of, so he is almost entirely TD dependent.

Myers is a decent enough option too but, the QB situation and the Jets defense have me more wary about him than the others.

If you are going to bench Lockett, and I cannot confidently make a call here about that at all:

Samuel>Lockett>Robinson>Myers

Tough call, good luck.

Mixon or Pollard?

Yes, this what Pollard owners have been waiting for but Mixon has a great match up on MNF as well. He's been up and down and largely dependent on TDs. However Pollard's put up similar numbers (non-PPR) as Mixon even with Zeke in the lineup.

Tempted to bench Mixon and go with Pollard.
UGH tough, tough call but also a great problem to have so don't stress.

The Browns might be vulnerable to the run but the Bears are actually worse (135 to 150 ypg yielded).

Under the premise that Zeke is out, and I am adding in entertainment value to this decision a little bit because Pollard just seems fun to root for:

Pollard>Mixon

T Hill, Pitts, D Knox. .5 ppr, 1 per 10 yards recv and 6 pt tds.
I can't start Pitts at this point if I have at least comparable options and I think you do.

Personally I like Taysom probably because he has a great ceiling, he has a great matchup and with Thomas & Landry out (again) he should see good usage.

I like Knox too but he is 100% TD dependent, you can say the same about all these guys btw, but he seems to be moreso.

It's close, and TEs are random number generators so go with your gut. But for me:

Taysom>Knox>Pitts

Tough to distinguish between that group because they are all very good options.

I like your reasoning and would have likely arrived at the same conclusion.

Bench Etienne

Etienne 107 yds rush
Lawrence 98 yds pass

Midway thru the 3rd Q
:oldunsure:

.5 PPR

LOCKETT VS GIANTS
PITTMAN VS COMMANDERS
DJ MOORE AT FALCONS

PICK 1

I’m leaning Lockett, but his nagging hamstring isn’t ideal.

Thanks!!

PPR Thinking of starting both Swift & Jamaal Wiliams vs Mia or only other option with Zeke out is Antonio Gibson vs Ind?

.5 PPR

LOCKETT VS GIANTS
PITTMAN VS COMMANDERS
DJ MOORE AT FALCONS

PICK 1

I’m leaning Lockett, but his nagging hamstring isn’t ideal.

Thanks!!
Yeah the Lockett situation is tough and it's a late game so you need to make a decision before kickoff. I'm really struggling with Lockett recommendations.

Your options both have such similar upside/downside too. I think I like DJ more than Pittman because 1) we don't know anything about Ehlinger (he could easily lock into Pittman 12 times, but he could also lock into whoever he has thrown too most with the 2nd team) and 2) the Falcons are giving up ~70 more yards per game through the air (also PJ Walker seemed to lock into DJ last week).

DJ Moore>Pittman

For Moore v Lockett it really depends on your aversion to risk. Lockett is the better call in general but I really don't like what I am hearing coming out of Seattle. I think both he an Metcalf will suit up but how effective will they be? I have no earthly idea.

DJ>Lockett

Users who are viewing this thread