What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 08 2024 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (2 Viewers)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

Thank you to all the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted. I can't get to everything, but I'll try.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) Please post the matchup. e.g. Cousins vs Den or James Cook @ Mia

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

4)
Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

Let's move on to week 8

Couple of dilemmas this week:

I need one RBs:
David Montgomery v TEN
Jonathan Taylor v HOU (assuming he plays)
Javonte Williams @ CAR
Jordan Mason v DAL

I need one WR:
Terry McLaurin v CHI
Jayden Reed @ JAX
Malik Nabers @ PIT
DeAndre Hopkins @ LV

I also need one flex from the above players.

ATM I have Jonathan Taylor, Terry McLaurin and am thinking Javonte Williams.

PPR League. Trade question:

Proposed to me:

* I GET: Bijan Robinson
* I GIVE: J. Jacobs & JSN

Think the Bijan owner is sick of T. Allgieire and needs WR help and DK could be out.

As a Jacobs owner, I see tough sledding ahead in terms of the schedule while Bijan's seems more favorable. Can do without JSN with Hill, Kupp, and B. Thomas.

No brainer?

Thanks

I need one RBs:
David Montgomery v TEN
Javonte Williams @ CAR
Jordan Mason v DAL

I need one WR:
Terry McLaurin v CHI
Jayden Reed @ JAX
Malik Nabers @ PIT
DeAndre Hopkins @ LV

I agree with your assessment, JT (if he plays), McLaurin and Williams (such a soft matchup). The other options are appealing too but I like those 3 this week. If Taylor doesn't go, probably Mason or Reed.

Proposed to me:

Think the Bijan owner is sick of T. Allgieire and needs WR help and DK could be out.

As a Jacobs owner, I see tough sledding ahead in terms of the schedule while Bijan's seems more favorable. Can do without JSN with Hill, Kupp, and B. Thomas.

No brainer?

Thanks

Not a "no brainer" but i'd do it, especially if you can obtain Allgiere to back up Bijan.

ROS question. I have Geno and ARich. I'm highly tempted to cut bait on ARich and pick up one of Darnold, Wilson, Lawrence or Maye. First of all, who do you prefer ROS from those options? and Would you make that move or give ARich 1-2 more weeks? He plays Houston this week and has done well against them in the past.

I need one RBs:
David Montgomery v TEN
Javonte Williams @ CAR
Jordan Mason v DAL

I need one WR:
Terry McLaurin v CHI
Jayden Reed @ JAX
Malik Nabers @ PIT
DeAndre Hopkins @ LV

JT, Reed, and Williams. No Daniels for WAS and CHI D is not CAR D. I'd temper expectations in that game for McLaurin.

Standard:

Cousins @ TB
Prescott @ SF

Dowdle @ SF
Cook @ SEA

One of each.

Thx

Prescott and Cook.

Full PPR flex needed:

Monty vs TEN
Devonta Smith @ CIN
Waddle (asuming Tua is back) vs AZ

Leaning Smith since CIN can put up points, Monty is banged up but should still play (TEN D is tough though against run), and Waddle I feel we need to see how Tua is after being gone for so long...

12-team dynasty. PPR Scoring. Start 1-3 RB and 2-5 WR (but total of 6). Leaning towards the guys in bold. Having a hard time sitting Adams (and Smith for that matter). Maybe put Adams in for Hunt?

Conner ARI @ MIA
Hunt KC @ LVR
Bijan Robinson ATL @ TB

Brian Robinson WAS vs CHI

Adams NYJ @ NE
A Brown PHI @ CIN
Higgins CIN vs PHI
Reed GB @ JAC

Shakir BUF @ SEA
D Smith PHI @ CIN

ROS question. I have Geno and ARich. I'm highly tempted to cut bait on ARich and pick up one of Darnold, Wilson, Lawrence or Maye. First of all, who do you prefer ROS from those options? and Would you make that move or give ARich 1-2 more weeks? He plays Houston this week and has done well against them in the past.

I think I would stick with Geno and ARich. Play them based on matchups, but lean towards Geno starting more. I dont like ARich as a player necessarily but he does carry a lot of potential and if the coaching staff can unleash him somehow then watch out. Hard to cut bait on someone like that.

Standard:

Cousins @ TB
Prescott @ SF

Dowdle @ SF
Cook @ SEA

One of each.

Thx

I like Cousins and Cook here. That Tampa secondary is trash + Another week of Cook getting healthy vs a suspect Seattle defense.

Full PPR flex needed:

Monty vs TEN
Devonta Smith @ CIN

Leaning Smith since CIN can put up points, Monty is banged up but should still play (TEN D is tough though against run), and Waddle I feel we need to see how Tua is after being gone for so long...

I like Smith in a bounce back spot here. The only thing that worries me in this matchup is Saquon running all over the Bengals which leads to not many opportunities for the receivers, but they have been better against the run since their D-Line got healthier the last 2 weeks. Monty is in a tough matchup, but could still get a TD because it is Detroit and Waddle is a wait and see play for me.

Smith > Monty > Waddle.

Proposed to me:

No brainer?

Thanks
Seems pretty good. I think you're giving quite a bit particularly as Hill & Kupp are no guarantees. But it seems to be a fair deal.

I need one RBs:
David Montgomery v TEN
Javonte Williams @ CAR
Jordan Mason v DAL

I need one WR:
Terry McLaurin v CHI
Jayden Reed @ JAX
Malik Nabers @ PIT
DeAndre Hopkins @ LV

I agree with your assessment, JT (if he plays), McLaurin and Williams (such a soft matchup). The other options are appealing too but I like those 3 this week. If Taylor doesn't go, probably Mason or Reed.
Yeah, Reed is very tempting with that Jacksonville matchup. They are getting torched through the air.

Thanks

I need one RBs:
David Montgomery v TEN
Javonte Williams @ CAR
Jordan Mason v DAL

I need one WR:
Terry McLaurin v CHI
Jayden Reed @ JAX
Malik Nabers @ PIT
DeAndre Hopkins @ LV

Yeah, Reed is very tempting with that Jacksonville matchup. They are getting torched through the air.

Thanks

I believe I read that JT is practicing so one less decision for you. I think I may actually lean Reed if Daniels is out, close decision that one.

It's risk because of reputation but I like Darnold. He's played very well, including last week in a hotly contested game. He is also getting Hockensen back very soon.

Lawrence is also getting a little better and an argument can be made for Wilson but I like Darnold more than both of those two. I'll pass on Maye for now, it's a very bad team and as he puts more film on tape I think his sledding gets tougher.

I hate cutting bait on Richardson but... he does not look ready for prime time, that's for sure. He just oozes physical potential and I am sure he is going to have some monster games... probably. But, he's been so bad as a passer.

I might drop him for Darnold but it wouldn't be easy.

Standard:

Cousins @ TB
Prescott @ SF

Dowdle @ SF
Cook @ SEA

One of each.

Thx
Prescott & Cook for me.

It's very close with Cousins and they should finish similarly so I could easily switch. They are similar players at this point.

Cook because he's been amazing outside last week and I just can't have faith in Dowdle.

Full PPR flex needed:

Monty vs TEN
Devonta Smith @ CIN

I go with Monty personally. I am an unabashed fan though. But, as I type this he does not have an injury designation and the Lions should roll the Titans giving Monty plenty of opportunities in a plus game script.

But, if you're not down with that I would roll Devonta over Waddle for Tua's first game back.

Full PPR flex needed:

Monty vs TEN
Devonta Smith @ CIN

I go with Monty personally. I am an unabashed fan though. But, as I type this he does not have an injury designation and the Lions should roll the Titans giving Monty plenty of opportunities in a plus game script.

But, if you're not down with that I would roll Devonta over Waddle for Tua's first game back.

Now that I think about it, the game script should favor DET running heavily, you are right. If he doesn't have an injury designation going into Sunday I will probably roll him out. Thanks.

12-team dynasty. PPR Scoring. Start 1-3 RB and 2-5 WR (but total of 6). Leaning towards the guys in bold. Having a hard time sitting Adams (and Smith for that matter). Maybe put Adams in for Hunt?

Conner ARI @ MIA
Hunt KC @ LVR
Bijan Robinson ATL @ TB

Brian Robinson WAS vs CHI

Adams NYJ @ NE
A Brown PHI @ CIN
Higgins CIN vs PHI
Reed GB @ JAC

Shakir BUF @ SEA
D Smith PHI @ CIN
I could make an argument for Devonta over Reed but the Jacksonville matchup is so nice so I get it. I would probably go with Reed too.

Otherwise I agree with your choices.

first time caller, long time listener (this year anyway)

pick 2 of these 3 bums:
  • Blank Dell vs IND
  • MHJ
    opp gives up the fewest ppg to WRs & the rookie takes plays off when it's not coming his way
  • Jauan vs DAL
    missed last week buy Shanny said he was close & expects him to play; presume healthy
have a few others with favorable matchups but think it comes down to this trio

OK... One more tough one. I guess it's good to have too many choices, but.... :unsure:

0.75PPR... Pick 5 WR to start

A Cooper BUF @ SEA

Harrison ARI @ MIA
McConkey LAC vs NOS
Mooney ATL @ TB
W Robinson NYG @ PIT
D Smith PHI @ CIN
Smith-Njigba SEA vs BUF

Worthy KC @ LVR

Interestingly enough, all 8 fall between 18 and 39 in FBG projections this week. Leaning towards sitting the rookies, since they have probably been the least consistent of the group. Not sure about Worthy, though (if there was ever a time to start him, you would think it might be this week, considering who all else is out).

pick 2 of these 3 bums:
  • Blank Dell vs IND
  • MHJ
    opp gives up the fewest ppg to WRs & the rookie takes plays off when it's not coming his way
  • Jauan vs DAL
    missed last week buy Shanny said he was close & expects him to play; presume healthy
Oof. Well, the good news is that I think you have to play Jennings if he's active. If he's not, the decision is easy, right? As for who I would pick second, I think I'd lean towards Dell. I agree that MHJ has some growing up to do, and I don't see that getting better in a tough matchup this week. Meanwhile, I have to think that Dell last week was a bit of an anomaly. I mean, HOU has to throw for more than 86 yards this week, don't they? I think Dell bounces back a bit.

pick 2 of these 3 bums:
  • Blank Dell vs IND
  • MHJ
  • Jauan vs DAL
I really like Jauan with no Aiyuk. He's just been impressive whenever given the opportunity.

I also like a rebound game from Tank and, as you say it's a much more favorable matchup.

Proposed to me:

No brainer?

Thanks
Seems pretty good. I think you're giving quite a bit particularly as Hill & Kupp are no guarantees. But it seems to be a fair deal.
At this point, JSN seems very replaceable. He hasn't really proven he's an explosive player. Lot of WRs on the wire that can get me 10 pts.

To me it comes down to Jacobs vs. Bijan rest of season.

I started a thread on this but didn’t get much of a response so I am putting it here.

8-team Superflex league with multiple flex spots. Being non-PPR, RB’s are highly valued but that’s getting tougher and tougher with so few below backs.

The Pacheco owner has offered me McLaurin for Hunt. I have Jefferson, Diggs and Pickens and just lost Godwin for the year.

At RB, I have Bijon, Etienne/Bigsby, Walker, Stevenson and Hunt.

If Pacheco is coming back, this deal seems like a fair deal as to capitalize on Hunts value now. If not, Hunt could be a league winner.

A few other things to consider: Hunt has already had his bye week and McLaurin has not. Daniels could be out a few weeks which may hurt McLaurin but Mariota was able to get him the ball last week.

There could be a chance that I could get DJ Moore instead of McLaurin but am uncertain.

I would love some opinions from this thread. Thanks in advance.

I started a thread on this but didn’t get much of a response so I am putting it here.

8-team Superflex league with multiple flex spots. Being non-PPR, RB’s are highly valued but that’s getting tougher and tougher with so few below backs.

The Pacheco owner has offered me McLaurin for Hunt. I have Jefferson, Diggs and Pickens and just lost Godwin for the year.

If Pacheco is coming back, this deal seems like a fair deal as to capitalize on Hunts value now. If not, Hunt could be a league winner.

A few other things to consider: Hunt has already had his bye week and McLaurin has not. Daniels could be out a few weeks which may hurt McLaurin but Mariota was able to get him the ball last week.

There could be a chance that I could get DJ Moore instead of McLaurin but am uncertain.

How many RB and WR do you start? In PPR, I think it's a no-brainer. With no PPR, it's closer, but I'd still lean towards taking McLaurin over Hunt. To me, it comes down to the question of which player is more likely to help you in the playoffs. McLaurin will as long as he's healthy. With Hunt, there are more unknowns (Pacheco, etc.).

I say all of that without knowing your lineup requirements. If scoring is super RB-friendly, it may be a closer call.

How many RB and WR do you start? In PPR, I think it's a no-brainer. With no PPR, it's closer, but I'd still lean towards taking McLaurin over Hunt. To me, it comes down to the question of which player is more likely to help you in the playoffs. McLaurin will as long as he's healthy. With Hunt, there are more unknowns (Pacheco, etc.).

I say all of that without knowing your lineup requirements. If scoring is super RB-friendly, it may be a closer call.
Between RB and WR, we need to play a total of 6 players with a minimum of 2 per position. Standard non-ppr scoring so only points for yards and TD's. RB's tend to score more than WR's due to the sheer volume and yards they produce. Since Hunt has become a starter, he has outscored McLaurin in his last two games. Again, the question is whether Hunt will soon split carries with Pacheco if/when he returns. If I knew Pacheco was out for the season, I am not making this deal. If Hunts time is limited, then I would want to capitalize on the value now.

Between RB and WR, we need to play a total of 6 players with a minimum of 2 per position. Standard non-ppr scoring so only points for yards and TD's. RB's tend to score more than WR's due to the sheer volume and yards they produce. Since Hunt has become a starter, he has outscored McLaurin in his last two games. Again, the question is whether Hunt will soon split carries with Pacheco if/when he returns. If I knew Pacheco was out for the season, I am not making this deal. If Hunts time is limited, then I would want to capitalize on the value now.
Ahhhh, yes. I see the dilemma. That's what I was wondering (if you could start up to 4 RB). In that case, it makes sense to hold on to Hunt, which gives you four pretty solid RB options (not counting JAC).

Yeah, I guess it depends on Pacheco's status, then. Unless you know he is returning soon, I would hang on to Hunt.

OK... One more tough one. I guess it's good to have too many choices, but.... :unsure:

0.75PPR... Pick 5 WR to start

A Cooper BUF @ SEA

Harrison ARI @ MIA
McConkey LAC vs NOS
Mooney ATL @ TB
W Robinson NYG @ PIT
D Smith PHI @ CIN
Smith-Njigba SEA vs BUF

Worthy KC @ LVR

Interestingly enough, all 8 fall between 18 and 39 in FBG projections this week. Leaning towards sitting the rookies, since they have probably been the least consistent of the group. Not sure about Worthy, though (if there was ever a time to start him, you would think it might be this week, considering who all else is out).
Ultimately I can't make a great argument against your choices. I question Mooney relative to McConkey but Mooney seems to have a higher ceiling and a similar floor.

I want to tell you to find a spot for Harrison too. I might consider him over Davonta because I view both as more ceiling plays, and I wonder if all the talk about MHJ being pouty is making it back to him (it is) and how he responds...(no idea). If Tua is back my gut tells me we get, however long he is upright, of 2023 near-peak Dolphins. IMO that means Arizona may have to play keep up...

Tough call that one.

I think I would personally go with your gut on this one. Mine says

MHJ>Devonta>Wan'Dale>Mooney>McConkey

With the understanding that Wan'Dale & McConkey are different plays than guys like MHJ & Devonta. It's all about balancing the roster.

Hope that made sense.

I'm a McLaurin fan. He has produced incredibly consistently since he entered the league with three HCs and, IDK... 400 QBs? He will do just fine with Mariota, one of the better backup QBs in the league IMO (honestly he's very high on my list of future Rich Gannons). McLaurin may be better with Mariota, who may not distribute the ball as well as Jayden

My issue is, I think you are deeper at WR, by a small margin, than RB. A lot of that thinking depends on Russell Wilson, so not a whole lot of confidence.

Personally, I think if Pacheco comes back it won't be until late in the year and, you can't win in the playoffs of you don't make the playoffs.

As a straight one-on-one proposition I like McLaurin more than Hunt RoS but, in your situation I think Hunt may have more value.

That's all I got.

12-team redraft, 0.5 PPR, 2 reg flex spots

Pick 1 WR (Nabers is already in starting lineup):

Odunze @ WAS (gives up 10th most FP to WRs)
Olave (Q) @ LAC (3rd fewest FP
Jennings (Q) vs. DAL
D Douglas vs NYJ

Pick 2 Flexes:

The remaining 3 from above
Mostert vs ARI

TIA

12-team redraft, 0.5 PPR, 2 reg flex spots

Pick 1 WR (Nabers is already in starting lineup):

Odunze @ WAS (gives up 10th most FP to WRs)
Olave (Q) @ LAC (3rd fewest FP
Jennings (Q) vs. DAL
D Douglas vs NYJ

Pick 2 Flexes:

The remaining 3 from above
Mostert vs ARI

TIA
In that case. Odunze, Jennings and Douglas pretty clearly.

If Jennings is out for whatever reason I guess I risk it on Mostert over Olave, who holds little interest when Carr is healthy let alone when... Whoever is starting at QB for the Saints.

I need one RBs:
David Montgomery v TEN
Javonte Williams @ CAR
Jordan Mason v DAL

I need one WR:
Terry McLaurin v CHI
Jayden Reed @ JAX
Malik Nabers @ PIT
DeAndre Hopkins @ LV

I might play mason. I have a feeling he has a massive game vs dallas

pick 2 of these 3 bums:
  • Blank Dell vs IND
  • MHJ
  • Jauan vs DAL

Dell
Jauan

Packers DST was just dropped in my league. Packers @ JAX or Bills @ SEA with potentially no DK? Our league emphasizes turnovers. A DST can still have close to 30 points put up on them but have a double digit scoring week if they have a few turnovers and sacks.

Standard Scoring + PPR

Njoku or Ferguson @ TE ? Currently have Njoku slotted in there.

I was able to snag Njoku last week and plug him in for Ferguson on the bye and will roster him until further notice. Going to be a tough weekly decision.

Thanks in advance.

Packers DST was just dropped in my league. Packers @ JAX or Bills @ SEA with potentially no DK? Our league emphasizes turnovers. A DST can still have close to 30 points put up on them but have a double digit scoring week if they have a few turnovers and sacks.
I like the Packers over the Bills for sure. The jaguars just seem more likely to make a big mistake. I mean, I guess any team can turn it around at any point, but they've been terrible on both sides of the ball. I think they'll put pressure on the Jags to keep up scoring and there should be more opportunities.

The Seahawks just feel like a team that even though there's been a coaching change are in contention regardless and shouldn't be underestimated.

Standard Scoring + PPR

Njoku or Ferguson @ TE ? Currently have Njoku slotted in there.

I was able to snag Njoku last week and plug him in for Ferguson on the bye and will roster him until further notice. Going to be a tough weekly decision.

Thanks in advance.
I'm all over Njoku. He's always been more wide receiver than tight end and even though he's never lived up to his billing, he still has shown enough flashes of his immense physical talent to not be discounted in the long run for sure. This week, specifically, I couldn't tell you but week over week I like him over Ferguson.

Is anyone starting Tua this week?
Options:
Darnold vs Rams
Richardson @ Texans
Maye vs jets
Tua vs cardinals

I’m leaning Darnold again but these seem like almost equal options.

Also, pick one to bench, ppr
Watson @ jags
Bateman vs browns
Pearsall vs cowboys
Kirk vs packers

Is anyone starting Tua this week?
Options:
Darnold vs Rams
Richardson @ Texans
Maye vs jets
Tua vs cardinals

I’m leaning Darnold again but these seem like almost equal options.

Also, pick one to bench, ppr
Watson @ jags
Bateman vs browns
Pearsall vs cowboys
Kirk vs packers

Darnold
Pearsall

I need one RBs:
David Montgomery v TEN
Javonte Williams @ CAR
Jordan Mason v DAL

I need one WR:
Terry McLaurin v CHI
Jayden Reed @ JAX
Malik Nabers @ PIT
DeAndre Hopkins @ LV

Agree on JT and Javonte, but not sure I'd trust McLaurin presumably if Mariota is behind center. I might go with Nabers, who has a tough matchup but still should continue to be peppered with targets.

QB2 in SF league (Josh Allen is QB1)

ARich @Hou
Herbert vs. NO

Basically play it safe with Herbert or shoot for the potential upside (and low downside) with Richardson.

Users who are viewing this thread