What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 waiver targets (1 Viewer)

still wondering why I drafted Akers this season after watching him last season.

Akers was RB #15 on my DD draft board. Seemed like a reasonably safe bet on draft night. FBG now has him at RB #36 for the rest of the year. Seriously? I realize his yardage was light but he‘s tied for the lead in carries at 22.
Yeah, but look at when those carries came..... garbage time.
when the game outcome was still in doubt Kyren Williams got the carries.
Akers got about half his carries the last 2 drives of the game when everyone in the stadium knew they were gonna win.
that does not show that the coach believes in you. and the rumour last year was that he was in the doghouse. if true, this gives McVay all the reason he needs to give the starting role to someone else.
its not by any means a lock, but I do think his value has dropped for sure.
This is spot on and why box score scouting can lead you to some false conclusions. You're right that 11 of Akers touches came in the last 9 minutes of the game when they were killing clock. While Akers started the game, Williams was put in on the 2nd play and every key play from that point. Kyren Williams got the third down and goal line work, out touched Akers through 3 quarters of the game, looked better on the field, and most alarmingly out snapped Akers almost 2:1 (Williams 53 snaps 65%, Akers 28 snaps 35%). He also ran 30 routes to Akers 4. Could it be a total aberration? Sure. But this is currently the best information we have to go off.

Akers was RB #15 on my DD draft board. Seemed like a reasonably safe bet on draft night. FBG now has him at RB #36 for the rest of the year. Seriously? I realize his yardage was light but he‘s tied for the lead in carries at 22.
Akers got about half his carries the last 2 drives of the game when everyone in the stadium knew they were gonna win.
that does not show that the coach believes in you. and the rumour last year was that he was in the doghouse. if true, this gives McVay all the reason he needs to give the starting role to someone else.
This is spot on and why box score scouting can lead you to some false conclusions. You're right that 11 of Akers touches came in the last 9 minutes of the game when they were killing clock. While Akers started the game, Williams was put in on the 2nd play and every key play from that point. Kyren Williams got the third down and goal line work, out touched Akers through 3 quarters of the game, looked better on the field, and most alarmingly out snapped Akers almost 2:1 (Williams 53 snaps 65%, Akers 28 snaps 35%). He also ran 30 routes to Akers 4. Could it be a total aberration? Sure. But this is currently the best information we have to go off.
.....but.....but.....but it's McVey we're talking about here. Good luck reading his mind in week 2 :) Hell, for all we know Zach Evans could get promoted and get 20 carries ;) jk.......,sort of ...

Last edited:

.....but.....but.....but it's McVey we're talking about here. Good luck reading his mind in week 2 :)
Exactly

.....but.....but.....but it's McVey we're talking about here. Good luck reading his mind in week 2 :)
Lol like I said "best information we have to go off". I'm just glad to not be an Akers owner rn.

Ended up getting Gainwell to pair on my bench with Swift. So now I'm almost fully entrenched into this mess. I dropped Elijah Mitchell. Short bench league.

Also made an "exciting" kicker swap. Dropped Gay for Moody. Better offense, but still risky rookie kicker, that I expect them to give many opportunities to get ready for the playoffs in case they need to count on him.

Anyone have any thoughts on Calvin Austin with Johnson being ruled out at least 4 weeks with a hamstring injury?
Feeling this is the same situation as the rams. People grab Allen Robinson when they should be grabbing Calvin. Calvin was playing in the 2 wide sets while Robinson only played in 11 personnel after Johnson left with injury.

Since I’m picking near the bottom, I’m standing Pat this week. I want to see what panic drops occurred, and select next week from a higher spot.

Anyone have any thoughts on Calvin Austin with Johnson being ruled out at least 4 weeks with a hamstring injury?
Feeling this is the same situation as the rams. People grab Allen Robinson when they should be grabbing Calvin. Calvin was playing in the 2 wide sets while Robinson only played in 11 personnel after Johnson left with injury.
Robinson seems the safer volume bet for PPR. Not flashy but should have double digit targets until Diontae gets back.

Grab Mingo while everyone fights over puka. He has a big opportunity this year with a bunch of bums around him.

Young missed him on a 99 yard TD or he would be talked about on every single waiver article.

Only problem that same QB is still throwing to him.
And you don't expect the number one overall draft pick to improve past his first game?
Not any time soon.

FWIW - I bought Puka Nacua last night for $22 of $100, also ended up with Kyren Williams - dropping Rashaad Penny, Diontae Johnson (no IR spots).

Puke Nacua had no other offers - so, bidding against myself. The reason I questioned the forum is because I am new to this league and it's a bunch of guys that take this very seriously and pay big money + individual waiver transactions, etc. I wanted to get an idea of what the consensus was on rookie 5th round receiver, etc. It seems like everyone in my league had the same pause as I did. Not here to put my thumb to my nose to everyone who said bid all of my FAAB money. I was asked to say what I got him for and I changed my bid about 8 different times.

Started at $15, came to the board, went to $41, kept checking the board, and got as high as $51. I watched the highlights and dropped my bid down to $22. What I saw, was a strong stocky player with sure hands getting force-fed the football. He doesn't harbor the upside that Kupp has and had minimal yards after catch. Can that develop throughout the season? Sure. I just don't see the Cooper Kupp clone-type upside everyone else does.

However, I'm curious what everyone else pulled him in for and what the next best bids are.

FWIW - I bought Puka Nacua last night for $22 of $100, also ended up with Kyren Williams - dropping Rashaad Penny, Diontae Johnson (no IR spots).

Puke Nacua had no other offers - so, bidding against myself. The reason I questioned the forum is because I am new to this league and it's a bunch of guys that take this very seriously and pay big money + individual waiver transactions, etc. I wanted to get an idea of what the consensus was on rookie 5th round receiver, etc. It seems like everyone in my league had the same pause as I did. Not here to put my thumb to my nose to everyone who said bid all of my FAAB money. I was asked to say what I got him for and I changed my bid about 8 different times.

Started at $15, came to the board, went to $41, kept checking the board, and got as high as $51. I watched the highlights and dropped my bid down to $22. What I saw, was a strong stocky player with sure hands getting force-fed the football. He doesn't harbor the upside that Kupp has and had minimal yards after catch. Can that develop throughout the season? Sure. I just don't see the Cooper Kupp clone-type upside everyone else does.

However, I'm curious what everyone else pulled him in for and what the next best bids are.
Got him for $15. I don't think anyone else placed a bid.

Lol like I said "best information we have to go off". I'm just glad to not be an Akers owner rn.
At least I’m now also a Kyren owner too. Thanks to half my bankroll lol.

Grab Mingo while everyone fights over puka. He has a big opportunity this year with a bunch of bums around him.

Young missed him on a 99 yard TD or he would be talked about on every single waiver article.

I highly doubt anyone in my leagues will bid for Mingo - I could drop Thielen for him.

I'm also strongly considering dropping Thielen for Shaheed or Puka and getting away from this WR corps altogether.
I dropped Mingo for Puka.

Mingo is a rookie WR in a offense led by a rookie QB, a new offensive system, and a pretty good defense. Not a great situation. There may be an occasional deep play but I don't see sustainable relevance here.

At least I’m now also a Kyren owner too. Thanks to half my bankroll lol.
Lol same bud, I put up almost 50% in the league I lost Dobbins in and got him. About 30% in my others just because I've played long enough to know the RB well dries up terribly fast. Won him in one of those, missed in a couple others (mostly to other Dobbins owners).

I'm not writing Akers off completely. He looked too good down the stretch last season. But it would shake my confidence of starting him next week though.

I highly doubt anyone in my leagues will bid for Mingo - I could drop Thielen for him.

I'm also strongly considering dropping Thielen for Shaheed or Puka and getting away from this WR corps altogether.
I dropped Mingo for Puka.

Mingo is a rookie WR in a offense led by a rookie QB, a new offensive system, and a pretty good defense. Not a great situation. There may be an occasional deep play but I don't see sustainable relevance here.
I mean Puka has down side as well. When Kupp is(if) back he may end up only being a 3 week play.

Is Tyjae Spears on anyone’s radar? I’d have to drop Gibson and Tucker for him.
He was my late round draft target and wound up on many of my teams. He actually had more snaps than Henry, and ran a ton of routes of which he was targeted on 4 of them. His usage should make him an add candidate for any league he isn't already owned, and I'd think those snaps eventually start turning into actualized production as the season goes on, especially in PPR leagues, I'd personally drop Gibson and/or Tucker for him.

One of the top cuffs easily. Will get bell cow work if an aging Henry goes down and already got half the snaps week one. Don't drop Tucker though

One of the top cuffs easily. Will get bell cow work if an aging Henry goes down and already got half the snaps week one. Don't drop Tucker though
Watson is in my IR spot and I gotta move him to make any moves so I’d have to drop two players. It’s Tucker, Akers, Ferguson (have Waller) and Mitchell. Should Ferguson be the drop?

Should I be dropping Mingo for Atwell?

I know Mingo was overthrown on a 90+ yard (likely) TD pass. I worry that might be a common thing this year though. Don't have a ton of faith in Young or the Panthers offense in general, and feel like the situation will only get muddier when DJ Chark heals up.

Meanwhile Atwell looked like a solid deep threat and the WR2 behind Puka, with Stafford returning to form. I have more confidence in the passing attack of the Rams in general. And I'm also on the side of the line thinking Kupp won't be returning anytime soon, at least not at full health. Also I think VanJefferson looks like a bum and would be the odd man out should Kupp come back anyway.

Feels bad seeing as Mingo is likely the superior talent, but Atwell's situation just feels much better.

Should I be dropping Mingo for Atwell?

I know Mingo was overthrown on a 90+ yard (likely) TD pass. I worry that might be a common thing this year though. Don't have a ton of faith in Young or the Panthers offense in general, and feel like the situation will only get muddier when DJ Chark heals up.

Meanwhile Atwell looked like a solid deep threat and the WR2 behind Puka, with Stafford returning to form. I have more confidence in the passing attack of the Rams in general. And I'm also on the side of the line thinking Kupp won't be returning anytime soon, at least not at full health. Also I think VanJefferson looks like a bum and would be the odd man out should Kupp come back anyway.

Feels bad seeing as Mingo is likely the superior talent, but Atwell's situation just feels much better.

Hard call but it could be that we just saw Atwell's ceiling sans a TD. If Kupp comes back then I wouldn't necessarily expect anything but spikes as Kupp/Nacua probably lead in targets/receptions.

Mingo's ceiling is still unknown. Could never manifest of course but it's possible he and Young get on the same page at some point. He looks to be the best WR option on the team until Chark comes back. And then who knows. Chark may take targets of course but having another viable WR might open it up more for Young, Mingo and the rest of the offense.

I'd say it depends on your team needs at this point.

Watson is in my IR spot and I gotta move him to make any moves so I’d have to drop two players. It’s Tucker, Akers, Ferguson (have Waller) and Mitchell. Should Ferguson be the drop?
I refuse to hold two tes so easy choice for me

I mean Puka has down side as well. When Kupp is(if) back he may end up only being a 3 week play.
I see Kupp having a neutral to positive effect on Puka TBH. Kupp plays from the slot, Puka doesn't. If I'm an opposing D do I focus more on Kupp or the rookie?

Anyhoo, I was WR poor so I picked up Puka for $53 out of 100 and also nabbed Josh Kelley for $29 (I think he's going to be a good flex regardless of Ekeler's health)

Michael Mayer (TE-LV) got dropped (for Hurst) in my dyno league - did I miss an injury or something?
That's pretty trigger happy for dynasty, maybe even redraft.
That's why I figured something must be up (injury? benching?). The guy has a pretty good team and is in 'win now' mode for sure, but still.
Didn't hear anything about Mayer, maybe it's the concern about him having zero targets in his first game. Hurst seems like chasing points.

Grabbed Puka in 2 leagues for $57 & $42 out of $200 respectively.

The crazy part:
League I spent $57 has had FAAB for years and the more "experienced" guys.... there were no other bidders.
League I spent $42 just started FAAB this season and the 2nd bid was $40. So, good thing I went the $2 extra!

On a side note, someone dropped Michael Thomas. I know Olave looked good, but Thomas should still have decent Flex+ value, no?

....but.....but.....but it's McVey we're talking about here. Good luck reading his mind in week 2 :) Hell, for all we know Zach Evans could get promoted and get 20 carries ;) jk.......,sort of ...
at least McVay seems to like to play a guy after he has a good game. unlike Belichek who has been known to actually bench a guy after having a good game.

Michael Mayer (TE-LV) got dropped (for Hurst) in my dyno league - did I miss an injury or something?
If you drafted a rookie te for a dynasty league and don't hold him for at least a season then you don't know how to play dynasty
I am prepared to let everyone run their team the way they see fit. If it rewards me in the process, all the better. To be fair, the obvious caveats apply (very short benches, owner in *win now* mode), but I’m just puzzled he didn’t even send out a flyer trade offer….I’m not stacked at TE by any means, so we might have worked something out. I make a lot of offers (can’t make sales if you don’t make calls). If I’m closing in on a deal, I don’t mind throwing in a sweetener if it gets things done. Mayer could have been that sweetener :unsure:

Grabbed Puka in 2 leagues for $57 & $42 out of $200 respectively.

The crazy part:
League I spent $57 has had FAAB for years and the more "experienced" guys.... there were no other bidders.
League I spent $42 just started FAAB this season and the 2nd bid was $40. So, good thing I went the $2 extra!

On a side note, someone dropped Michael Thomas. I know Olave looked good, but Thomas should still have decent Flex+ value, no?
In PPR I firmly believe MT holds value, but he’s the poster child for high floor, low ceiling. His “monster” games are over. He doesn’t get a lot of YAC (if any) so his value is tied to volume. At a minimum I’m starting him as my WR3 until Kamara returns (and then I’ll reevaluate).

There are a lot of mouths to feed on that offense, but the thing I like about MT is that you don’t have to draw up a play to get him open. He knows where the holes in the zones are and like DMX he sets up shop. He also knows what to do when his QB scrambles to give him a target. Enjoy the ride while he’s healthy.

All this talk about Puka and Kupp has got me wondering why Stafford is available as a free agent in my 192 player league. Don’t get me wrong…I know why but he‘s getting more interesting and he’s just two years removed from a monster year.

Users who are viewing this thread