What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 Waiver Wire Pickups (1 Viewer)

Lambert

Footballguy
Who are you considering picking up, and why?

A lot of this obviously depends upon the number of teams and roster sizes in your leagues, but I'll start the ball rolling with a couple possibilities based on the early Sunday games ...

Marques Colston, TE/WR (depending on which website hosts your league), Saints

- 4/49, 1 TD, looking like a good redzone target for Brees ... also could be even better value if you can start him at TE in your league

Travis Henry, RB, Titans

- 9/22, 2 TDs, possibly the Duckett, Bettis, (insert your favorite GL TD-vulture here) guy in Tennessee

I noticed DeMeco Ryans had 12 tackles today for Houston. Any IDP guys have any thoughts? Fluke or ???

I noticed DeMeco Ryans had 12 tackles today for Houston. Any IDP guys have any thoughts? Fluke or ???
I've read but can't remember where (IDP forum? I looked) that he was a good "sleeper" pick and should suprise. Looks like he may have done just that.

Not a fluke in the least. He's probably a low level LB2, with upside. If he's out there in you redraft IDP league, go get him. He shouldn't be there in dynasty on theWW.I think Donte Stallworth will be picked up alot in leagues that drafted early and ignored him.Wes Welker showed why he's worth drafting in league scoring return yards.

Who are you considering picking up, and why?A lot of this obviously depends upon the number of teams and roster sizes in your leagues, but I'll start the ball rolling with a couple possibilities based on the early Sunday games ...Marques Colston, TE/WR (depending on which website hosts your league), Saints - 4/49, 1 TD, looking like a good redzone target for Brees ... also could be even better value if you can start him at TE in your leagueTravis Henry, RB, Titans - 9/22, 2 TDs, possibly the Duckett, Bettis, (insert your favorite GL TD-vulture here) guy in Tennessee
Guys that watched the game - what do you think of Colston? Looking at numbers, he appeared to get a lot of targets. Did this seem like a repeatable game for him or more like a fluke? Curious - he's certainly got the size to be a great target and wondering if he's worth a spot.

I generally don't rush to pick up or drop guys after week 1. If one of my guys gets hurt yeah, otherwise not really.
That's a good way to miss out on players like Boldin.
Interesting you mention that. Guys that consider themselves "sharks" will hem and haw determining if this guy or that guy will keep it up, decide its not sharklike to pick someone up after 1 game, blah blah blah. A newb will pick the guy up immediately and may damn well end up with a stud while us "sharks" or holding on to our stud drafted value lineup of Fred Taylors.If you have room and doesnt screw up the waiver order for you if you have a few worries on the lineup, there's nothing wrong with taking the chance.

Who are you considering picking up, and why?A lot of this obviously depends upon the number of teams and roster sizes in your leagues, but I'll start the ball rolling with a couple possibilities based on the early Sunday games ...Marques Colston, TE/WR (depending on which website hosts your league), Saints - 4/49, 1 TD, looking like a good redzone target for Brees ... also could be even better value if you can start him at TE in your leagueTravis Henry, RB, Titans - 9/22, 2 TDs, possibly the Duckett, Bettis, (insert your favorite GL TD-vulture here) guy in Tennessee
Guys that watched the game - what do you think of Colston? Looking at numbers, he appeared to get a lot of targets. Did this seem like a repeatable game for him or more like a fluke? Curious - he's certainly got the size to be a great target and wondering if he's worth a spot.
Wow he has TE eligibility at yahoo (TE, WR listing). That's huge.

Gamblor said:
No fluke...stud...to bad I didn't start him today (over K. Mitchell). :cry:

No too many based on performance this week:

D Carter, CAR (in shallow leageus if not drafted, and mostly dependent on Steve Smith's continued prognosis)

Reggie Williams, JAX (in shallow leagues if not drafted)

Faulk, NE

Cotchery, NJ

Colston, NO

In return yards leagues:

Devin Hester, CHI

Allen Rossum, ATL

JJ Arrington

Reggie Williams was sort of the forgotten WR in the Jax picture, but he seemed to get plenty of looks.

I actually think best pickups might be QBs like Alex Smith or Grossman. I thought Smith looked ok, could put up decent stats. People are kind of writing this season off as his "rookie" year, but historically there have been lots of 2nd year QBs that really turn it on.

How about Desmond Clark? He is a TE and 5 for 77 shows alot of promise. Several years ago he was thought of highly. Any thoughts?

Im targeting Drew Carter as a SSmith owner (I shouldve targeted him this week but I thought Henry would be the better play).

I might also target Alex Smith cuz my backup QB (Simms) looked miserable.

Alex Smith if you need a backup QB, I suppose.

But other than that, there were no real "out of nowhere" players.

Correll Buckhalter may be another guy, if you haven't grabbed him yet of you're still holding onto Ryan Moats believing he's the #2 guy in Philly. Buck's established himself in that role and is the handcuff to Westbrook at this point.

only two i saw were Cotchery though I would wait on him until the Jets play an actual NFL team.

and

Buckhalter - seems like Reid is trying to protect Westy a bit this year by giving Buck a lot of looks. IMO, he's a great bye week filler in a PPR.

mojorizin said:
BuckeyeArt said:
KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:
I generally don't rush to pick up or drop guys after week 1. If one of my guys gets hurt yeah, otherwise not really.
Interesting you mention that. Guys that consider themselves "sharks" will hem and haw determining if this guy or that guy will keep it up, decide its not sharklike to pick someone up after 1 game, blah blah blah. A newb will pick the guy up immediately and may damn well end up with a stud while us "sharks" or holding on to our stud drafted value lineup of Fred Taylors.If you have room and doesnt screw up the waiver order for you if you have a few worries on the lineup, there's nothing wrong with taking the chance.
Antonio Gates 2004 would also like to say hi.Basically, I look for anyone with a lot of targets week 1.

mojorizin said:
BuckeyeArt said:
KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:
Antonio Gates 2004 would also like to say hi.Basically, I look for anyone with a lot of targets week 1.
Kurt Warner 1999 also says hi.

only two i saw were Cotchery though I would wait on him until the Jets play an actual NFL team.andBuckhalter - seems like Reid is trying to protect Westy a bit this year by giving Buck a lot of looks. IMO, he's a great bye week filler in a PPR.
I was driving and unable to watch any of the early games, but I did listen to the Jets on the way home. Jerricho has been highly touted for awhile and definitely got a lot of looks. He also had a second TD called off by holding.He's the #2 there now, and if the announcers were right was on the field a number of times in 1 WR sets. I'm considering dropping Branch for him.He's worth a pickup. Pennington sounded good, again from the announcers and brief clips I saw. I picked up Penny for Kitna since my QBs (Kitna and C-Pep) had the same bye anyway.Like I said, don't sleep on my Jets :)

How about Desmond Clark? He is a TE and 5 for 77 shows alot of promise. Several years ago he was thought of highly. Any thoughts?
Ehh.....I've been burned by Clark in the past so I tend to look pesimistically at his performance this week. I could be very wrong but his history is one of big hits and long droughts. Like lightening in a bottle......IMO.

only two i saw were Cotchery though I would wait on him until the Jets play an actual NFL team.andBuckhalter - seems like Reid is trying to protect Westy a bit this year by giving Buck a lot of looks. IMO, he's a great bye week filler in a PPR.
I was driving and unable to watch any of the early games, but I did listen to the Jets on the way home. Jerricho has been highly touted for awhile and definitely got a lot of looks. He also had a second TD called off by holding.He's the #2 there now, and if the announcers were right was on the field a number of times in 1 WR sets. I'm considering dropping Branch for him.He's worth a pickup. Pennington sounded good, again from the announcers and brief clips I saw. I picked up Penny for Kitna since my QBs (Kitna and C-Pep) had the same bye anyway.Like I said, don't sleep on my Jets :)
Cotchery seems to be the WR on the red zone 1 WR sets. Pennington looked his way often and he made a number of nice grabs.

I was driving and unable to watch any of the early games, but I did listen to the Jets on the way home. Jerricho has been highly touted for awhile and definitely got a lot of looks. He also had a second TD called off by holding.
Good mention there - he had a second one in which he was pushed out of bounds, but the holding call brought it back. Coles will still be Pennington's primary option, but Cotchery may not be far behind.

Gamblor said:
This was expected - the love for Ryans in the IDP forum this offseason has been overwhelming.

stevegamer said:
I think Donte Stallworth will be picked up alot in leagues that drafted early and ignored him.
:wtf:
Haha, CBS Sportsline posts #'s on each player of what % of their leagues the guy is owned in and also the % of leagues where he's starting. Not that they mean much, but can be kind of interesting at times. Anyway, I thought it was interesting when I was looking over our league's rosters and saw that Stallworth was at 98% ownership. Guys owned at that rate usually are among the top 50 - 60 overall players in fantasy football, and based on what the guy did in NEW ORLEANS, don't think anybody would put him in that class. The trade got that dude a LOT of hype, and today he certainly lived up to it.

The only waiver wire pickup that jumped out at me today is the Rams D/ST. Where the hell did that come from??

Ours is a pretty deep league, I'm a proud Cotchery owner myself.

:banned:

I imagine Colston could approach Frisman-like levels of hysteria this week.
Possibly, but the difference is you have a guy who is starting alongside a possibly aging veteran, along with a pretty decent QB throwing the ball.
Oh, I think it's a solid pick up, but would have to be for a decent size roster. I made a play for him in my dynasty league, but the bidding got too rich for my blood.I was just trying to think of a guy that isn't on most rosters, but will be by Wed.

I predicted Cotchery to be the biggest p/u in the predictions thread and I'll stick with him after a nice performance.

The only waiver wire pickup that jumped out at me today is the Rams D/ST. Where the hell did that come from?? Ours is a pretty deep league, I'm a proud Cotchery owner myself. :banned:
I didn't see the Rams game, but would like to know how they looked. If anybody saw the game, was it good Rams' Def or terrible Broncos' Off?

I predicted Cotchery to be the biggest p/u in the predictions thread and I'll stick with him after a nice performance.
FWIW, going through the play-by-play stats on nfl.com, Cotchery had 12 targets (including the nullified 2nd TD) compared to Coles' 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread